• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Rickety

Peace and Love
As much as I love the old Melee community, this one is very pretty, too!
You are all wonderful, adorable people. Thanks for having me over, and for letting me play with everyone! <3

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
well the stream is down, but EC > WC in crews just now
but SCORP ***** HBOX LOL

anyways, i guess ill text you all to head over soon so we can get this started!

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
imma be playing some ball for a little bit but i should be able to make it after i grab something to eat.i'll see you guys in a few

anto

Smash Apprentice
the last tournament i played was 2 years ago. gg. so what's up sd? how's the melee going? played like 4 hours today and me and my buddy wanna play some tourneys- ahh nostalgia haha

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
how would you guys recommend i clean the inside of my controller?im talking about like:
- cleaning materials (q-tips/cotton balls/etc)
- cleaning solutions (rubbing alcohol/etc)

ps: if theres a smashfest tmrw and someone has a triwing could you bring it please :]

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
jun has one, but i dont know if i can host a smashfest tomorrow actually...
ill do the usual mass text (ill be sure to not make it a picture text haha)

if anything...fat camp is moving out of sixth/lodge area on the 14th, we shall reclaim our rightful space by having a tourney...? big smashfest? i dunno...ill talk to pat

hello anto, the new-age san diego melee community is pretty close knit. feel free to join us whenever we post something here and dont be afraid to come out :D we usually smash around the ucsd/la jolla area. sometimes near sdsu, and sometimes in mira mesa. it all depends on whos free and who plans it!

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
the last tournament i played was 2 years ago. gg. so what's up sd? how's the melee going? played like 4 hours today and me and my buddy wanna play some tourneys- ahh nostalgia haha
noticed you live in chula vista. want to play sometime?

.PNOY.

Smash Apprentice
THIS FOOL. always sayin he's gonna show up at a tourney then just NOT. haha nah jk.

not too many OG SD people are still playin (which sucks). but the new scene has been pretty active w/ Engdrew steppin it up, hosting smashfests now that the lodge got too heavy.

u should definitely hit up a smashfest whenever.

anto

Smash Apprentice
hello anto, the new-age san diego melee community is pretty close knit. feel free to join us whenever we post something here and dont be afraid to come out :D we usually smash around the ucsd/la jolla area. sometimes near sdsu, and sometimes in mira mesa. it all depends on whos free and who plans it!
fo sho. looking forward to playing with you guys and hopefully some old faces

noticed you live in chula vista. want to play sometime?
yea i'm down i'll let you know whats up.

go easy on me guys i'm just a marth/fox/falco/falcon nub :p

anto

Smash Apprentice
THIS FOOL. always sayin he's gonna show up at a tourney then just NOT. haha nah jk.

not too many OG SD people are still playin (which sucks). but the new scene has been pretty active w/ Engdrew steppin it up, hosting smashfests now that the lodge got too heavy.

u should definitely hit up a smashfest whenever.
lol yea man makes it more epic when i actually make it hahaha- blazin' asian migration sensation needs to show up.

time to get back on it haha

Jun.

Smash Lord
how would you guys recommend i clean the inside of my controller?im talking about like:
- cleaning materials (q-tips/cotton balls/etc)
- cleaning solutions (rubbing alcohol/etc)

ps: if theres a smashfest tmrw and someone has a triwing could you bring it please :]
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2905
A triwing and a cross to open the trigger housing is 2 dollars shipped!

What I did was when I ordered I just ordered 3 sets because I knew someone would want them and just gave one set to Ky for 2 bucks. I suggest everyone who is gonna get some to just get 1 or 2 extra since people will need/want them for sure and will save us all a lot of time.

Yeah I have an extra set of a triwing and a cross screwdriver. I always bring it with me usually and if anyone wants it just give me like a 2-3 bucks.

For Cleaning
- Take apart the controller
- Clean the dirt out in the cracks of the casing (its gross yes I know its what melee does lol)
- Clean the control stick opening and the cstick opening of the top shell
- Dirt accumulates under the thumbrest of the control stick, clean that.
- Clean each of the holes for the buttons, you'll find a lot of dirt surrounding them.
- Take apart your triggers and wipe them down
- Get a towel lightly soaked with rubbing alcohol and rub down the casing thoroughly to get rid of the oil/dirt that has built up.
*be careful when putting the controller back together. You have to make sure the trigger levers are UP. UP UP UP.

Lovage

Smash Hero
don't buy from dealextreme it will take 4 weeks and may or may not be a phillips head instead of a triwing

just buy from amazon for like 2 more dollars and it ships in 3 days

Jun.

Smash Lord
I ordered from dealextreme and it was a triwing and a philips exactly like it said

took 1 week but I've heard reports of people getting later shipments.

that extra 2 dollars spent could be another set that includes a philips. Eh money is money

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
For Cleaning
- Take apart the controller
- Clean the dirt out in the cracks of the casing (its gross yes I know its what melee does lol)
- Clean the control stick opening and the cstick opening of the top shell
- Dirt accumulates under the thumbrest of the control stick, clean that.
- Clean each of the holes for the buttons, you'll find a lot of dirt surrounding them.
- Take apart your triggers and wipe them down
- Get a towel lightly soaked with rubbing alcohol and rub down the casing thoroughly to get rid of the oil/dirt that has built up.
*be careful when putting the controller back together. You have to make sure the trigger levers are UP. UP UP UP.
whoa this sounds way more complicated than i thought lol

Rickety

Peace and Love
Are you still willing to sell your triwing screwdriver, Jun?

If not, do not worry about it one bit! I can always order one (or two, or three!) online, I just wanted to fix Tony's controller sooner rather than later so I can play with him! <3

Rickety

Peace and Love
Crewdrivers!

Just name a time and place, silly, and I will meet you there! I'd be more than happy to give you five genuine, American dollars!

We can meet at a smash-fest, tournament, your house, back alley, anything! Whatever works for you! <3

---

I was reading some old threads yesterday about the importance of crews back in the old days (that Smash nostalgia-thing must be going around, Anto!), and it got me to thinking about the role of crews today. How important, if at all, are crews today?

Manacloud (Ken's older brother) used to always say that you were only as good as as the best member of your (four or five person) crew. Of course back then, there was no YouTube to watch top players and steal crib learn from, and unless you paid for an MLG subscription, you had to hunt far and wide for videos.

From my own experience, I think that the most fun I had with the competitive aspect of Melee was holding crew training sessions and practicing up for the upcoming triweekly or regional tournament. We learned, laughed, and ate together and had lots of groovy fun trying to get better together.

Eep! I'm babbling. Anyway, what does everyone here think of crews today? <3

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i think crews is always fun but everyone says its not a clear-cut assessment of how good a player, or group of players, is (which i agree with to an extent..i guess..lol).because of this everyone else thinks crews is useless and i guess thats why theyre not really done as often at tournaments anymore.buuuuuuuuut yeah back to answering the original question: crews is tight.i think regional crews should be done at every national that a big group of players from different regions (like pound) go to, but i understand that its hard to manage time for it and people get tired/lazy so yeah

Rickety

Peace and Love
Whoops! I should have been a little bit clearer when I wrote that. What I was trying to say earlier was: with all sorts of videos and frame data to help us nowadays, how important is it to be in a crew to improve? For those currently in a crew, do you think that you would be as good as you are today if it wasn't from practicing with a crew?

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
ohhhhh i thought you meant like..crew battles hahahaha.fail

..i dunno about being in a crew with all the videos that are up featuring top players.probably nowdays having a mentor or something to explain what top players are actually doing in these videos would be more beneficial to improvement

Jun.

Smash Lord
I totally agree that your crew is the most important aspect of improvement.

You can watch all the youtube videos and read up on matchups all day but it comes down to the fact that application is more important than knowledge. If the members in your crew are acknowledgeable and they will help you form the collective knowledge base into solid foundations and not bad habits, that must be when good players are formed. For example : it can't be a coincidence how the people that play regularly with Mango improved at a much faster rate than players of other regions and are now the top of SoCal.

However I believe that "crew" as a term and concept has been largely abolished due to the diminishing community. Back when the melee community was large it was easy and possibly beneficial for high level players to separate themselves and play with each other for efficient improvement however that is not the case today. The number of melee players are small compared to the players of other games and even Brawl in some aspects. We no longer feel the need to separate ourselves from the local community by establishing a crew but instead would much rather just play as a whole. Because of this reason, I believe that crews have just been replaced with "the regular group of guys you play with." Still manacloud's aspect of being capped by your best players still exists as its very difficult or even impossible to improve further than the limitations of your regular opponents. What are you gonna do if someone brings a knife to a fistfight? What are you gonna do if someone brings a gun to a knifefight?

Jack of Blades!

Smash Journeyman
I've always wanted to be in a crew or make a crew back when I started playing competitively in 07. The DBR videos were the first I really watched and they inspired me in many ways. Idk if the Melee community is smaller than it was before, it seems like it's bigger these days as a whole, just from the amount of attendance that all the major tournaments are getting now. Maybe certain regions have slowed down while others boomed. Or maybe people are willing to travel more these days for the big ones than back in the day.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
About crews, I agree with what Jun posted, especially the second paragraph. Good stuff. I thought you meant crew battles too haha. Because I think that's the most fun part of tourneys/smashfests! I always look forward to crew battles at our smashfests :) Except when Jun is captain and somehow takes 9 stock. Then it's just dumb.

Jun, how many triwings do you have now? I kinda wanna paint my controller lol. Can I just borrow one from you for a like a day or two? (just need to take apart to paint and then reassemble after the paint dries so probably like 2 days max?) I probably won't be doing this until school starts anyway, but yea, just wondering.

Oh Pat, dunno if you finished the lab already, but did it take you a long time? lol

Rickety

Peace and Love
San Diego Love? <3

How accurate is this as a list of San Diego smashers that have been to a tournament or smash-fest since Pat's House?

San Diego Smashers
Post-Pat's House!

Antonio Tiznado

Azn_Lep

Bone

Brandon Ownage King

Chizzle

Eclipse

Eddy Mexico

Engdrew

G&T

Glöwwworm