• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
didnt turn out the way i hoped. when i hear single elimination, i think of one round and thats it. i only thought that because dane had it that way before. so i could of beaten who ever i was playing! oh well. it happens. maybe next time, right?

so yeah. anyone see dark knight afterwards? it was alright.
Haha yeah, we went to my friends house right after the doubles and went to go watch it...It was hella long, glad we saw it at 7 lol

That pencil magic trick was awesome!

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
The buffet was pretty good, sorry for thoes who didnt get none......

The Game II

Smash Champion
Seriously what ****ing buffet are you all talking about? I want specific food. That chips and salsa don't ****ing count.

If I came late, then fine I'll accept it, but I had 10 people ask me if the chips were the buffet. And there were announcements that food was coming.

--GCII

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Mini burgers and some kinda pizza bites.......

there were forks and napkins for some strange reason......

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
There was at one short point a tray of mini burgers served. Myself taking 5, and the four other people in line behind me cleared it out in under a minute.

I want my $5.00 back.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I didn't know that was the buffet, I thought it was just free food sitting out.

hehe

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
This tourney F*CKING SUCKED!!!

The host needs to know what the **** he's doing before he decides to run a tourney like the one he attempted to run today....

I also heard this happened before... Dreamhack or whatever, do yourself a favor and just leave the tourneys to people who actually know what they're doing. Your a complete failure... Sorry but it's true.

A three hour drive for this ****...

$BONE$

Smash Ace
i think the most wonderful part about the tournament is that mike haze, ajax, dsf, kira and + 2 are sprawled all over my living room floor because of last minute housing issues. hahahaha. brilliance.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
BAD TOURNEY OoT-ers don't let that turn you away from SD
How about OoS-ers? I spent more time in travel than I did at the tournament!

:( Wish I could have gotten more friendlies/MM's in with legends like DSF and Futile in before I go back to WA.

Also, I don't think it was Dreamhack's fault either, rather D&B Staff and the like...
Despite my frustration, from my perspective I agree. I got the distinct impression that the tourney organizers were trying as hard as possible to find a solution to an ugly situation caused by the D&B staff where there was no real solution.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
How about OoS-ers? I spent more time in travel than I did at the tournament!

:( Wish I could have gotten more friendlies/MM's in with legends like DSF and Futile in before I go back to WA.

Despite my frustration, from my perspective I agree. I got the distinct impression that the tourney organizers were trying as hard as possible to find a solution to an ugly situation caused by the D&B staff where there was no real solution.
From my perspective, it was almost entirely Dane's fault. From what I could gather, D&B staff repeatedly told him as he was signing the contracts that they would need to be out there by 6 and that there needed to be chaperons.

I don't care if he thought he had enough chaperons to begin with (which he obviously didn't), but why even choose a venue that had such a restricting limitation to begin with?

I don't think it was Dreamhack's fault at all. I think it was mostly Dane's, considering he was the one who handled finding the venue and signing the contracts. He knew what he was getting into, and he still didn't give a ****. And when things were going awry, he runs off for like an hour, nobody can reach him by phone, wtf was going on? Ridiculous, I swear.

P.S. Don't offer food if you can't realistically deliver on it. It only pisses people of in the end, especially if they paid.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Don't Let Me Down

SD hosts need to start referring to Neal's ABC guide to tournament hosting. Do your homework before taking on something big like tournament hosting. Lep and Rickety are too good, just have them run SD tournaments.
Aw, thank you Claire :]

Just so everyone is clear about this:
Azn_Lep and I had NO part in running this tournament, this was strictly the brain child of Dreamhack and Dane. I personally would like to apologize once again to those affected by this poorly run tournament.

I think my biggest mistake was advertising this tournament on the triweekly thread. I will never do that again.

<3
rick(ety)

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
There was at one short point a tray of mini burgers served. Myself taking 5, and the four other people in line behind me cleared it out in under a minute.

I want my $5.00 back.

LOL, i was one of the four other people...

complete waste of money,

i think we should leave the tourney organization to Azn lep and Rickety and Havok

Edit: srry havok, forgot about the cv weeklys, havent gone to one, but hope to since i have heard they are fun

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Hall, Rick, and Azn Lep all tried their hardest to help run a tournament that they had absolutely nothing to do with so things could go a little more smooth. Thanks, guys.

To be quite honest, I was surprised at the turnout. I had already assumed that Dane's last tournament already gave San Diego (aside from the tri-weekly) a bad rep.

MarthPwnzer

Smash Journeyman
The way they got a turn-out was by adding in sponsors that weren't sponsors for the event. There was no ESPN, Red Bull, or anything of the sort. If there truly going to be big name sponsors the whole D&B would most likely be rented out. You would see some sort of advertising for them in there, and they wouldn't of took money out of the pot for venue fees.

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, all the "sponsors" led me to believe this thing was going to be HUGE for some reason. I learned my lesson. It was still a big turnout, but not what I was thinking.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Just by reading the current page, I'm kind of glad my ride backed out last minute. :p

But wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that this tournament went THAT badly. :(

InsomniaK

Smash Apprentice
i really liked the venue too :( if only we were given the whole day, i think this tourney would've been run very well.

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
IMPORTANT Please Read!

Ok, First off I want to come out and say a huge SORRY to everyone that came out to this and especially to the people who drove down hours to this event! Imma come out and say that this was a complete waste of time and money!!!! I want to also say that Rickety, Azn Lep, and Havok had absolutely nothing to do with this tournament so please don't go off and think that they were involved in this because they indeed weren't! Next, for those that went to the tournament could tell you that it was indeed one GREAT BIG SH*T STORM after another! A number of things went wrong one right after the other! I feel terrible for what had happened but I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for everything that happened! I blame myself for trusting Dane and for believe that he had everything squared away. You can point the finger and say it was Dane's fault, My fault, or D&B fault, but again, I take full responsibility for what happened! I hope this doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth and make you think that SD is terrible at hosting tourneys cause we really don't. We had countless problems which ultimately made this tournament a complete failure, and for that I agologize! I hope everyone can Forgive and Forget and I sure as HELL hope you don't hold all of SD accountable for this because its not their fault.... Like I said Blame me not them!!! I hope to see all of you around at any other future tournies here in SD!

Squi(Connor)rtle

Smash Apprentice
nah, SDeezy is chill but that tournament was by far the worst I've been to. "I really appreciate you coming to the tournament" - Dane. **** straight you do because you took my money!

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
nah, SDeezy is chill but that tournament was by far the worst I've been to. "I really appreciate you coming to the tournament" - Dane. **** straight you do because you took my money!
I heard that a nice portion of the money was missing...again.

I also personally heard Dane say, "Well, with the way things are looking, first place should get at least 50 bucks. I mean, they only paid 5 dollars to get in, so that's ten times what they paid back in their pocket".

...when I heard this, I almost hauled off and decked him in the face.

LHG

Smash Journeyman
"Well, with the way things are looking, first place should get at least 50 bucks. I mean, they only paid 5 dollars to get in, so that's ten times what they paid back in their pocket".

...when I heard this, I almost hauled off and decked him in the face.
You should have dude.

That's the problem with him running everything. He doesn't understand anything about the already volatile scene. He tried to make it this epic thing, which is okay I guess but not in terms of what the players needed or wanted. Like okay, "FREE RED BULL AND FOOD" is all grand (he did it at another tournament), BUT ONLY IF the players are aware where their money is going. Separate the entry fee (since we all assume it goes into the pot for the winners) and give people the choice if they wanna use that extra money for "FREE" ****. He just assumes that it's okay to throw that all in and mess with the money, which created HIDDEN fees and people spending money they didn't want to spend (especially in hindsight). For his second tournament, all of us in SD were like "What the ****" when the entry fees were $40 for singles and more for doubles because he tried to throw in "food and drinks" that come with that entry fee that he assumed we all wanted and was okay, which obviously wasn't because it didn't give us a choice in how to spend our money beyond entry fees for the pot.

I'm surprised CV and everyone else didn't deck him in the face after he yelled at them because they were asking where the rest of the LEGITIMATE winnings went to (the whole "YOU WANT 2000X WHAT YOU PAID FOR" thing I overheard).

Izzy-pop

Smash Rookie
Dane is lame, and I think that we should have a new venue without his involvement. We always do better when SD runs their own tournies.

For anyone who came, next time come for the Chula Vista Weeklies or during the school year we will have other tournaments as well. Until then, we are all waiting because UCSD triweeklies is over. T_T Azn Lep

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
I am willing to return to San Diego if it's run by another person. This was my first venture into the city for Smash, but I'll be back sometime....

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
You should have dude.

That's the problem with him running everything. He doesn't understand anything about the already volatile scene. He tried to make it this epic thing, which is okay I guess but not in terms of what the players needed or wanted. Like okay, "FREE RED BULL AND FOOD" is all grand (he did it at another tournament), BUT ONLY IF the players are aware where their money is going. Separate the entry fee (since we all assume it goes into the pot for the winners) and give people the choice if they wanna use that extra money for "FREE" ****. He just assumes that it's okay to throw that all in and mess with the money, which created HIDDEN fees and people spending money they didn't want to spend (especially in hindsight). For his second tournament, all of us in SD were like "What the ****" when the entry fees were $40 for singles and more for doubles because he tried to throw in "food and drinks" that come with that entry fee that he assumed we all wanted and was okay, which obviously wasn't because it didn't give us a choice in how to spend our money beyond entry fees for the pot.

I'm surprised CV and everyone else didn't deck him in the face after he yelled at them because they were asking where the rest of the LEGITIMATE winnings went to (the whole "YOU WANT 2000X WHAT YOU PAID FOR" thing I overheard).
hahahaha h3 was r3ady to pounch m3 th3r3 for a minut3....
but this is th3 2nd tim3 h3 ****3d m3 n a3ro out of our winning....

first tim3.... w3 got... 120 for first.... ... lol h3 thatn said "thats 12x yo monay brotha b3 happy"

w3 w3r3 just w/3 about that cuz it was a small lam3 v3nu3... but w/3... l3ast w3 bought 3v3ryon3 th3r3 PIZZA and R3d Bull !!! YOUR W3lcom3!!! CV LOV3s YOU!! :D

but this tim3.... COM3 th3 **** ON!!!!

200 for first?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! hahahahaha thats so funny

th3 argum3nt i pr3s3nt3d him was just to much for him to handl3 i gu3s...

but h3 was a cool guy... and w/3 w3 lost mon3y but its cool i gu3ss but...
2000x or mon3y... **** w3 would hav3 bought 3v3yron3 IN n OUT and sum n3w controllas!! ****TT

hahahaha but this w33k3nd just suck3d that guy is cool but.... i say l3av3 th3 mon3y hold3rs...in SD at l3ast to

AZN L3P and RICK3ty

th3r3 cool as **** and kno how to g3t **** dun right... wit no hidd3n f33s ....

Top Bottom