• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

Oracle

Smash Master

Only 1 day left to register for Aftershock!
Zero, Dabuz, Junebug, Denti, Dakpo, Aerolink, and more top players from around the Southwest will be competing! This will be the first true National tournament for Smash 4 that Texas has ever seen, so if you want to test your skills against some of the best players in the country, be sure to register.

Funcrazyfish

Smash Cadet
Anti is now my Wii Fit Trainer idol! To be completely honest, I really don't think there are any true "low" tiers in this game, seeing as how there are multiple players doing very well with all of the supposed "low" tiers, such as myself, ChoZox with his Samus (Got 7th at Paragon 2015), and other players who are very good that place well (Forgive me, I don't follow competitive tournaments very often). If there is a low tier, the distance between tiers is much smaller in comparison to melee and brawl, it's just an issue of representation for characters, at least in my opinion.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah Zelda gets play from Nairo, he beat nietono and some others with his Zelda before APEX started. Like most people say of course, still early + MU inexperience catches people off guard and it actually is harder to point out bottom tiers than it is to point out top tiers in this game.

But the three I mentioned and maybe Dr.Mario could be down there definitely. Lucina and Charizard too maybe?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Bless your soul, How did singles go at the tournament?

Also wut did you guys do for your 21st birthday? Cause if not many good ideas, mite just do the ol stay home and drink maybe.

HarvstootH

Smash Cadet
NNID
Quincy.Dippy
Man. All this talk about low tiers and all that... Now I feel bad for selling out to Sheik. No way I'm ditching Ganon, but some MUs he just can't handle. *cough cough* Diddy Kong *cough cough*

Ganoncide for days though. B)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The buffed ganoncide. You can actually win now. :applejack:

Also, ELO rankings updated:

RANK | TAG | RATING | Movement
1 | Megafox | 1920 | =
2 | Espy | 1754 | =
3 | K Prime | 1753 | +1
4 | SnorlaxPie500 | 1734 | -1
5 | Jopan | 1712 | =
6 | Slush | 1702 | +1
7 | Paw | 1688 | -1
8 | Incendiary | 1686 | =
9 | Valdens | 1679 | =
10 | Castro | 1667 | =
===|===|===|===
11 | FunCrazyFish | 1659 | NEW
12 | HeroMystic | 1646 | -1
13 | Sylveon | 1643 | -1
14 | Mindless | 1633 | -1
15 | Donte | 1623 | NEW
16 | Shlike | 1614 | NEW
16 | Clos3 | 1614 | NEW
17 | RIP | 1608 | -3
18 | Lan | 1607 | +5
18 | Whiteout | 1607 | -3
20 | KoN | 1606 | -4
21 | Basegod | 1603 | NEW
21 | Enigma | 1603 | -1
23 | Suspect | 1601 | NEW
24 | Kev | 1600 | -1
25 | Kyro | 1599 | -7
25 | Chewy | 1599 | -7
27 | Babybwake | 1597 | +1
28 | IconXIII | 1595 | NEW
28 | Overdrive | 1595 | -7
30 | Azure | 1594 | -8
31 | Geoberos | 1593 | -14
32 | Chazz | 1590 | -7
32 | Iam | 1590 | -6
34 | Ruen | 1586 | NEW
35 | NinjaFish60 | 1584 | -7
36 | KM | 1583 | -9
37 | ScootyPuff Jr. | 1578 | NEW
38 | JNasty | 1577 | -8
39 | Volume | 1575 | -7
40 | Speedy | 1573 | -10
41 | Psychoward | 1572 | -8
42 | Winds | 1571 | -9
43 | Zeta | 1565 | NEW
44 | Vitamin | 1563 | -9
44 | Applepoe | 1563 | -9
46 | inTOXIC | 1556 | -9
47 | CCCM | 1548 | -8
48 | Haijynx | 1547 | -10
49 | Crashman | 1531 | -7
50 | Mondy | 1523 | -9
51 | Jaredgcom | 1514 | -11
52 | Gtimes | 1507 | -9
:applejack:

Last edited:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
3am on my days off. Reply only when need be. Body weakened and now sick to the sniffles.
My descent has renewed.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Vastly.

Trip Sapling and Exploding Balloons gives Villager such an insane ledge-camping game that it is imperative that you get the first stock kill. Otherwise you're in for a very long game.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Good ol trip sapling.

Since the silly UA host of Smash 4 didn't wanna go too deep into customs and actually ban out more than just a glitch with olimar that needs Fox to deliberately Down B pikmin instead of hit them for it to happen.
Stuff like DK kong cyclone and trip sapling was bypassed and allowed.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Exploding balloons recovery is actually remotely fair, unlike regular balloon trip which just lets him do whatever he wants.

As long as you have built some damage beforehand, you can actually gimp him with a spike/stagespike. Trading with the balloons is trivial and sometimes favorable.

Exploding balloons are quite annoying for edgeguarding though. If you have a linear recovery that rises up with a hitbox, it balloons just get in the way and sometimes require you to stagespike and tech jump to get past them.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I don't think The Spinning Kong of Whirling Doom is a bannable offense, it's just really weird and really polarizing to DK's play. It'll take some time but I think it's exploitable and the hype around it will die out.

Agreed on Exploding Balloons too. I've gotten a few stage spikes on BC that if he had that custom then he would've been gimped. That said, Trip Sapling is pretty silly. However, FCF beat him down with Customs Falco (though he lost the set when BC went Diddy), and Mindless told me he how to counter Villager's ledgecamping. And of course Megafox destroyed BC with minimal effort.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Lol BC went DIddy. I am so proud. Villager mains all wind up using Diddy too (as we all will soon).

Spinning Kong is suuuuuuuuper cheesey if you don't have experience with it or you panic. Its pretty much the poster child for customs being banned though, so its hard to imagine someone not knowing what to expect.

The other lesser known powerhouse moves will catch people by surprise at EVO I'm sure.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Agreed on Exploding Balloons too. I've gotten a few stage spikes on BC that if he had that custom then he would've been gimped. That said, Trip Sapling is pretty silly. However, FCF beat him down with Customs Falco (though he lost the set when BC went Diddy), and Mindless told me he how to counter Villager's ledgecamping. And of course Megafox destroyed BC with minimal effort.
FCF Falco beat his diddy, but lost to the villager. Then lost on Halberd to Diddy when he was palutena. Mindless lost on halberd to his diddy game 3. So close :(

Last edited:

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
FCF Falco beat his diddy, but lost to the villager. Then lost on Halberd to Diddy when he was palutena. Mindless lost on halberd to his diddy game 3. So close :(
Lol honestly his customs saved him with villager.
And diddy, well???? WELLLL SANTII???!!
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU THE MOST ....You've failed me as a couch.

TehLamp

Smash Cadet
NNID
TehLamp
Good ol trip sapling.

Since the silly UA host of Smash 4 didn't wanna go too deep into customs and actually ban out more than just a glitch with olimar that needs Fox to deliberately Down B pikmin instead of hit them for it to happen.
Stuff like DK kong cyclone and trip sapling was bypassed and allowed.
That guy needs to not be the head of the UA weeklies

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I should have switched to ness. Oh wellz. Tourney went decent considering a lot of matches were going close to time.

Brandon is buying a mixer for commentary and I should be able to help commentate at future weeklies.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Banning OP customs would be a slippery slope. There will always be things that seem "broken" with customs on. There are just way too many customs and permiatations of customs, that more and more "broken" things will be discovered. I think you have to either embrace that customs will never be balanced and have fun with it, or play customs off which has been much more extensively balanced, well maybe with 1 character exception. (:

rbman

Smash Rookie
Based on how every UA tournament has gone so far, that doesn't convince me of anything actually positive. :applejack:
Hi, this is of topic, but when will the next weekly tournament be? I may be living in San Antonio soon

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Banning OP customs would be a slippery slope. There will always be things that seem "broken" with customs on. There are just way too many customs and permiatations of customs, that more and more "broken" things will be discovered. I think you have to either embrace that customs will never be balanced and have fun with it, or play customs off which has been much more extensively balanced, well maybe with 1 character exception. (:
Don't get too hasty here. Customs off and customs on are both unbalanced. Some people will try to tell you that customs will balance the game more, but there are good and bad characters that gain alot as well as good and bad characters that gain almost nothing.

And trust me, none of you will enjoy playing BC with customs off either. At least with the tripping sapling he might feel like standing up and fighting on stage now and then.

Top Bottom