• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Rivals...Who gets the SSBB spot?

Wallmaster

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I should start using a different color than the default. Let's try...*cough*...*hack*

...wow, this is pretty cool. Anyway, I definitely think Ridley should be in brawl. Dark Samus would be alright, but Ridley has been in a lot more metroid games than Dark Samus. The Hunters are far too unpopular to be in, in my opinion.

Sensai

Smash Master
Please, Rhyme, if not for him...for the sake of humanity. Make it less....harsh.

And I would enjoy the SA-X, too. Problem is, it's still 'just Samus'.

[Edit:]

Actually, that green isn't terrible....

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Color is fun. The thing is that it has to be something that doesn't hurt to read.

And the problem with the SA-X is that it's literaly a clone of Samus. It's not a super-powered version, and there's nothing to differentiate it from Samus aside from the fact that it isn't Samus, just something that looks and acts exactly like Samus. So what's the point? SA-X was only a hard boss in fusion because Samus' fusion suit was incomplete and underpowered when she fought it. So, no. Just no. If we're goingto see a new character, let's see one that's different from what we already have.

kaid

Smash Master
The hunters have been in exactly one game.

Dark Samus has been in exactly one game. Two, if you count Metroid Prime, or the upcoming Corruption. (three if you count them both.)

Mother Brain has been in 3. Metroid, Super metroid, and Zero Mission.

Ridley has been in Metroid, Metroid: zero mission, super metroid, metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and will be in the upcoming Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

To put that into perspective, the games Ridley WASN'T in were Metroid 2: return of Samus for the Game boy, Metroid PRIME 2: Echos, and Metroid prime: Hunters for the DS.

When Ridley is in 2/3 as many games as Samus herself, compared to characters who have had one or two appearences, Ridley has priority.

To beat a dead horse, putting Dark Samus or a Hunter into brawl before Ridley would be like putting Tataga(sp?) or Wart in to melee before Bowser, or putting Vatti or Agrihim(sp) before Gannondorf.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunantly, the ones that have only been in for a grand total of one game are those that are generally the most awesome :laugh:

There's at least 6 in my sig.

kaid

Smash Master
Even if Tataga or whatever his name was turned out to be the villian of Mario Galaxy, and he was really awesome and all in 3d, that doesn't make him a better choice then Bowser.

If a character comes from a franchise without serial characters, (say, Final Fantasy, or Fire Emblem, where the characters are never the same) then one-offs are acceptable, because that's all they have. But Metroid has recursion, and Ridley has the single greatest connection to the Metroid storyline short of Samus Aran herself.

Would you have wanted Shadow to have his own game, knowing how awesome he was in Sonic Adventure 2? Looking back, do you remember how that turned out?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Rhyme - Yeah, get rid of the magenta. Maybe if this board had a straight black backdrop, but it doesn't. It's very tough to read, and I usually just highlight it to make it less eye-burning. The color (grey purplish) that you suggested works nicely.

And Kaid summed it up nicely. Ridley's only been absent out of three games, and though Dark Samus is new and hip, she's also alot less deserving. My vote goes to them both, but between the two, Ridley all the way.

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
Ridley. He's the most recurring villain in Metroid, and thus deserves such a spot. They will need to make some changes to his design (I.E. size), but if they decide to put him in, he'd be hella cool.
I agree^^
Ridley should be the one, because if you talk of Super Metroid, i first think of Ridley and Samus. Maybe a few changes to his height (a compact form xD) and he would be a good fighter^^

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Ridley obviously is twice as deserving as Dark Samus (Damus?), seeing has he's been in many more games, and is a staple of the Metroid franchise. Also, being a completely different structure than any existing character (including Bowser), Ridley is sure to have a more unique moveset, whereas DS's moveset (aside from the B moves, which could easily vary with any character in question) would probably look insipidly similar to Samus' moveset.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
D. Samus could have an entirely different moveset from Samus. Just play MP2 again. She'd have at least one proj, but that doesn't make her a clone automatically. Ridley does have precedence, but every moveset I've seen for him would make him overpowered, underpowered, or edited so much he'd hardly be Ridley as we know him; which wouldn't be horrible, because this would be Smash and not Metroid, but still.
Although, just from the trailer of him fighting Samus in freefall, there could be aspects from MP3 that could be used for his moveset, as well as DS's, or the new hunters, who I personally would like to see just for their awesome char designs. I'd rather see DS, myself.

The DS hunters... I don't see the attraction. Not to mention, their designs were all too similar, like cars from the same company.

And that magenta is painful... please do something about it.

XsolidXsnakeX

Smash Apprentice
From the game "Metroid Hunters" (or any other Metroid game) who do you think should be in Brawl and explain why? My own personal opinion, it should be Weavel.
yah right he is a new character i think it should be ridley....but smaller where are thoses shrink mushrooms

Sensai

Smash Master
Paranoid Android said:
Oh Heavens no.

I think the accepted thought in the thread is that Ridley should get in ahead of DS.

So, I want to pose a new question: are we all going to be dissapointed with Brawl? What with all the hype and all the dreaming we're doing?

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
So, I want to pose a new question: are we all going to be dissapointed with Brawl? What with all the hype and all the dreaming we're doing?
Not at all. That last Trailer didn't show much, but what it did show was phenominal. Season changes, destructable platforms, some kinda crouch walkin' mechanic... And most importantly, the game looked fun. I think the developers know what they're doing, and I fully expect stuff to happen in Brawl that I had no way of predicting.

Now, that said, not every character people are hoping for will be in Brawl. Characters like Ralph (Legend of Zelda), Isaac (Golden Sun), and Mallow (Mario RPG) don't have a chance. So those with them as their top picks are going to suffer some disapointment. But eventualy they'll get over it. I mean, I really wnted Wario in Melee, but after playing it and having as much fun as I did, I started to no longer care.

D

Deleted member

Now, that said, not every character people are hoping for will be in Brawl. Characters like Ralph (Legend of Zelda), Isaac (Golden Sun), and Mallow (Mario RPG) don't have a chance. So those with them as their top picks are going to suffer some disapointment. But eventualy they'll get over it. I mean, I really wnted Wario in Melee, but after playing it and having as much fun as I did, I started to no longer care.
Actualy, you picked about the worst examples to choose from.

Also its not about who is actually in, but rather who we think is cool. Sure, they might not get in (actually its my own first pick that's most in doubt there, ain't that always the way?), but its our way of saying "Hey Nintendo? Remember this guy/girl? Weren't they cool?".

I probably won't ever use these forums again once Brawl comes out, but its nice to actually suggest something and have the whole "Yeah! Nice idea!" atmosphere here. It's not really about who gets in the end, cause we'll still enjoy Brawl if ******* Cloud got in.

Admit it.

Hope that made sense. Maybe its just a confirmation of what you said, I dunno.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Fine, fine, if everyone is so opposed to magenta than I will switch to this color.

I actually don't think I would enjoy the game at all if Cloud got in. There are some characters where you just think no, no way. I mean yeah I would still like the game, but would also get pissed off every time I had to play against Cloud. I probably will get pissed off every time I have to face off against Snake.

Isaac would be a cool character and probably doesn't have that bad of odds to make the roster. Not exactly sure how he would work in the game, but he isn't impossible. Unlikely maybe.

Sensai, I hear what you are saying. I have been having my doubts about the game ever since we were shown footage that Brawl might totally suck *** and we would all be like "60 bucks down the drain, back to Melee." From what I have seen in the drastic change from Smash 64 to Melee, I now get the feeling that Brawl will be the kind of sequal where at first, you hate it because it is so drastically different than the prequal, but after a few weeks you forget your woes and decide that, despite the differences, it's an awesome game nonetheless.

On a side note, now everything about me is all dark and emo.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, Ridley's in MP3. You fight him in a sort of Gandalf Vs. Durin's Bane type fight while you and him fall down a shaft. He's pretty big(not saying this in relation to the topic) and he can hold you in his hand and breath on you. It looks like a pretty badass sequence.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to get off topic, but does anyone know if Ridley is in MP3 Corruption?
Yes, he is. The first Ridley boss fight of the game is in one of the gameplay trailers. Go watch it on youtube. He also happens to be larger in MP3 than in any other appearance.

WindGuru: Yes, it was a confirmation of what I said. Brawl will rock no matter who gets in. Although, I'll be even happier with it if the characters I'm hoping for are in it. But I won't be too dissapointed if some of them aren't.

Rhyme: Being emo is better than being illedgible

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Brawl will rock no matter who gets in. Although, I'll be even happier with it if the characters I'm hoping for are in it. But I won't be too dissapointed if some of them aren't.
Still, I think you have to admit that, while you will be amazed by the game regardless of the roster, some characters could make an apperance, and said characters could make you less happy with the game. Example:Ridley=awesome addition, DS=awesome addition, Hunters=not so awesome:ohwell: Having to fight one of those hunters would make me a little angry inside. Like, why did that character make it again?

Rhyme: Being emo is better than being illedgible
By a slim margin...to you people illedgible.:laugh:

It is a trey annoying to change my font and color every time I post, is there some magical quick fix that makes the change permanent-like?

Sensai

Smash Master
Rhyme said:
I probably will get pissed off every time I have to face off against Snake.
/signed

I'm just not so sure that I like the idea of 3rd party characters being in Brawl. Not only does it seem to take away from the game in itself, but it also opens up the possibilities that the game (or some version of it) could eventually appear on a system other then a Nintendo console.

On top of all that, I have to worry myself to sleep tonight about whether or not Master Chief, god **** him, will get in.

And Rhyme....just suck it up. You are emo.

[Edit:]

Rhyme. You can't sneak **** in under me. C'mon.

Rhyme said:
Still, I think you have to admit that, while you will be amazed by the game regardless of the roster, some characters could make an apperance, and said characters could make you less happy with the game. Example:Ridley=awesome addition, DS=awesome addition, Hunters=not so awesome Having to fight one of those hunters would make me a little angry inside. Like, why did that character make it again?
You know, we could all be saying the same thing about Pichu, right? Sure, maybe at first it'll be like that, but over time all the characters will be from the Smash game, not from individual games. Except for 3rd party characters.

Ya dig it?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
And Rhyme....just suck it up. You are emo.
You don't have to point it out, I know I'm emo. Where did you think I went for days on end? I was only saying that my posts finally reflect my nature.

You know, we could all be saying the same thing about Pichu, right? Sure, maybe at first it'll be like that, but over time all the characters will be from the Smash game, not from individual games. Except for 3rd party characters.

Ya dig it?
No, not exactly. To be honest, you kind of confused me with that last bit. Maybe it is too late for my brain right now...

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I'm just not so sure that I like the idea of 3rd party characters being in Brawl. Not only does it seem to take away from the game in itself, but it also opens up the possibilities that the game (or some version of it) could eventually appear on a system other then a Nintendo console.
The way I look at it is the way I try to look at all character additions. Basically, the formula is:

more cool characters = good

I see smash bros as sort of a celebration of videogame history. Each character reminds us of the games that founded an industry, and they all get together to do the most classicaly video game activity at all: fight for no apparent reason. And the truth is that Nintendo can't go the whole thing alone forever. Some really awesome characters were made without the big N's help. And if smash bros has to switch from a nintendo-centered game to a video-game centered game to allow those characters to play, well So Be It.

In my opinion, good characters can only add to the game. And bad characters... well, I've yet to see one, but when I do I'll just ignore them.

And I wouldn't worry about another company gaining the smash bros licence anymore than I'd worry about another company gaining the Zelda licence. Nintendo is too greedy to allow that to happen. I also wouldn't worry about any smash bros knock offs, for similar reasons.

And just for the record, I happen to like the Master Chief... Although he won't appear in a smash bros game untill he hits a nintendo system.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
And I wouldn't worry about another company gaining the smash bros licence anymore than I'd worry about another company gaining the Zelda licence. Nintendo is too greedy to allow that to happen. I also wouldn't worry about any smash bros knock offs, for similar reasons.

And just for the record, I happen to like the Master Chief... Although he won't appear in a smash bros game untill he hits a nintendo system.
Stealing Smash or Zelda licence, impossible. But if you recall, for a time it was rumored that there would be a Nintendo DS smash instalment. That project was cancled, but it was said that just because Nintendo wouldn't licence the project did not mean that we wouldn't see a smash bros type game. It would just be the kind of thing like well nintendo made mario kart so sony made crash team racing.

Master Chief is cool I guess, but the hype surrounding him is completely overrated. And I thought I would be a good simeritan and finish your sentence...Although he won't appear in a smash bros game untill he hits a nintendo system, which he never will.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Stealing Smash or Zelda licence, impossible. But if you recall, for a time it was rumored that there would be a Nintendo DS smash instalment. That project was cancled, but it was said that just because Nintendo wouldn't licence the project did not mean that we wouldn't see a smash bros type game. It would just be the kind of thing like well nintendo made mario kart so sony made crash team racing.
The game wasn't cancelled, it just never existed. The rumor was just a rumor, although Miyamoto expressed that he would like to see a DS smash bros instalment sometime in the future.

And the reason I won't worry about smash bros knock offs isn't because they won't happen (they already have) but because they won't be all that good.
Look at the Zelda series. Nintendo remains the only company that can pull of that kind of action/adventure game at the level of quality that the Zelda series is at. And I expect no less from smash bros.

And, c'mon, it's not that the Master Chief is overhyped, it's that he's the only fish in the pond. Nintendo has many, many mascots and series going for it, so Nintendo fans fall into many camps. Microsoft doesn't yet have that many mascots, so pretty much all the Xbox fans fall in line behind the Master Cheif. It's not his fault, so don't hold it against him.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
And the reason I won't worry about smash bros knock offs isn't because they won't happen (they already have) but because they won't be all that good.
[/COLOR]
He's right. Did you guys play "Shonen Jump's Super Stars" for the DS? For one, it was in all Japanese. Two, SSB esque fashion. Three, it wasn't all that good (I only liked to pick Goku and Naruto). Finally four, there will be others to copy the exact same mechanics as SSB & still not be better than the orginal O.G. ya know what I'm sayin?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Look at the Zelda series. Nintendo remains the only company that can pull of that kind of action/adventure game at the level of quality that the Zelda series is at. And I expect no less from smash bros.

The project looked optimistic for about 4 days, then came the update...Days after the idea popped up, the company recieved some kind of update from nintendo and the project was imediatly halted almost before it began. Obviously Nintendo is holding its rights for Smash, but that isn't the point I was trying to make. Crash Team Racing was made by sony in response to Mario Kart. CTR was fun, but was in no way on the same playing field as Mario Kart. Nintendo did it first and did it right. All I'm saying is that a knockoff game would not be entirely unlikely.

And, c'mon, it's not that the Master Chief is overhyped, it's that he's the only fish in the pond. Nintendo has many, many mascots and series going for it, so Nintendo fans fall into many camps. Microsoft doesn't yet have that many mascots, so pretty much all the Xbox fans fall in line behind the Master Cheif. It's not his fault, so don't hold it against him.
Alright, you've convinced me.:) I had never thought of it that way before but, now that you mention it, Microsoft really only has a single mascot.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Sony didn't make CTR... Sony don't own crash bandicoot do they? Also there was never even a project started for smash on DS, you have any source for this info?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Sony didn't make CTR... Sony don't own crash bandicoot do they? Also there was never even a project started for smash on DS, you have any source for this info?
I'm sorry, no. More like a third party thing. CTR was on the Playstation, but that doesn't automatically make it a Sony bi-product. I think I must need sleep. Naughty Dog made CTR. Can't believe I got that wrong.:urg:

Oh, sorry...you asked for a source as well. The source I origionally had was
HTML:
http://forum.lik-sang.com/showthread.php?t=6720
this one. It says that the link is no longer active, maybe it got accounted as spam. All I know is that I heard about Smash Bros DS on a chat forum, googled it and sure enough a page came up. I bookmarked it and that is the URL, but now it says it won't work.:(

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Sakurai has said about doing handheld for a while, but until he finishes Brawl, he's not thinking about anything more than theory.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I read a thread about why traditional SSB on DS wouldn't work. It was Nsider forums but those forums are so spammed up it's probably lost now.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
SSB for the DS? Now that would be sweet.
Yea it would. Smash on the go, whenever you wanted...just whip out your DS and link to other smashers wherever and smash. So crazy! If you just search with Google on "super smash bros ds", you should get one link for an online petition. Not that a petition is a say-all, but if tons of people sign a petition, we can prove that the game would be popular and maybe Nintendo would make it, knowing it would be purchased.

SilverDraco134

Smash Cadet
Since things can be downloaded on the Net these days with the Wii's online capablities, perhaps they can make new characters as we go? I say Ridley hands down. He's been around since 1987 and has been in nearly EVERY Metroid game. Dark Samus was in what, one game, two if ya count Prime 3? As for moves for Ridely, take a look at all the Metroid games, and I bet you could come up with a "few" moves for him to have in Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ridley is my first pick as to which character they should add in Brawl. He is to Samus; as Link is to Ganondorf; as Mario is to Bowser. Ridley has been in every Metroid with the exception of three (Metroid II, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime Hunters). Dark Samus is more like the Vaati of the Metroid series, in the sense that she is considered to be a secondary villain (DS has only appeared in two games, Vaati has been in three Zelda games).

Like mentioned earlier, Ridley is probably the most identifiable character of the Metroid series behind only Samus. Ridley has also appeared in the previous two Smash Bros. games. In the original Smash Bros. for the Nintedno 64, he would make an occasional cameo in the background of the Planet Zebes stage. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, he appeared in the opening trailer for the game (in which he was about the same size as Samus), also he was a trophy.

Also, it is important to reiterate his importance to the series. Ridley has appeared in more Metroid games than any other villain by far. Ridley is also very important to the plot in most of the Metroid games he is in. In Super Metroid, he was the one that stole the Metroid Hatchling from the space colony, thus intiatring Samus's return to Zebes. In Metroid Prime, it was Samus's discovery that he was still alive that led her to land on Tallon IV. Also, if you believe the Metroid webcomic to be canon, it was Ridley that killed Samus's parents. Ridley is also the leader of the Space Pirates. I would go as far to say that Ridley is as important to the plot of the Metroid universe, as Ganondorf/Ganon is to the Zelda universe.

Those are my reasons why I strongly believe that Ridley MUST be included in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. To ignore him and his legacy in the Metroid universe would be a travesty (okay not that far, but still it would be pretty foolish not to include him). Hopefully, Sakurai will listen to the American Smash Bros. fanbase and will decide to include him.

P.S. To McFox: Ridley is male.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
He's right. Did you guys play "Shonen Jump's Super Stars" for the DS? For one, it was in all Japanese. Two, SSB esque fashion. Three, it wasn't all that good (I only liked to pick Goku and Naruto). Finally four, there will be others to copy the exact same mechanics as SSB & still not be better than the orginal O.G. ya know what I'm sayin?
Orignal Original Gangsta?

Anyway, here's what I have to say about it.

Ridley indeed has much more potential than other Smash characters. While I won't discuss his moveset, I will discuss how he could fit. Basically, his main problem is not his size (seeing as Pikachu in comparision to Mewtwo is way too big), but his wings. His wings are twice as big as Ridley's total length. However, there can be a compromision for that. Basically his wings don't have to really look that big, it's mostly sideways anyway. Ridley has the ability to draw in his wings anyway.

So, often, when he's not in flight, the wings aren't visible. They are only visible when flying. Whenever he gets hit in the air, he pulls in the wings again. This saves a lot of visible space, which could block your sight.

There is a good chance he will be in, because of his popularity. However, since it's easier to implement both Dark Samus and the hunters, they would seem more likely. But there are some reasons why they wouldn't make the cut.

Dark Samus basically looks like a Samus clone. While I haven't seen it in-game, I do know that it's not. First of all every attack Dark Samus does is Phazon-based. Now I don't know if Dark Samus uses rockets, but if it does, they would be Phazon-rockets. Dark Samus also has somewhat the ability to fly, a thing Samus does not have. I also believe that Phazon creatures have additional tentacles, but I'm not sure.

Dark Samus can indeed be a very unique character, and it doesn't even need clone moves. However, because Dark Samus looks a lot like the original, only blueish, Nintendo might hesitate on adding it.

For the rest of the hunters I might discuss later.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Ridley could fit, he was a little taller than Samus in the SSBM intro, all he needs is a moveset and stats (weight, speed etc.).

Top Bottom