• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I didn't want to make a new thread, but I just want to say I'm really loving Samus's jab 1 range and utility. Jab -> retreat -> pivot grab always seems to throw people the hell off. Jab to retreating PP ftilt is waaaay better than the second jab. I've also managed to pull off a sh airdodge to upair to jab, which always seems to get people to mash buttons, then somehow sh airdodged right after and had my opponent go into a jab combo, and I was positioned behind them and got a bair out. It felt nice :p anyway, jab is awesome. I think we should stop hating jab.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I figured we loved punch one of Jab. Well, I do...

Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I figured we loved punch one of Jab. Well, I do...
Idk. I just feel generally that most samuses avoid jabbing altogether. It's an awesome string starter and really great for quick safe pressure, just to test if nothing else. I tend to see tons of tilts and zair spamming in most places. Meh.

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
There's also the second hit of the jab being able to be shielded I feel, that hurts a whole lot.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I dunno if this is Samus's social thread, but it seems like the closest thing to it... So I'm posting my Samus silhouette here!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Question for all you lovely Samus mains.

When you don't have stage control and are being pressured, how do you stop yourself from being mauled by characters with high speed and/or attack speed?

I feel I have such extreme problems vs characters that pressure me and my only option is to punish mis-spaced aerials with Up-B. Jab sucks, F-tilt gets beat out by a lot of stuff up close, and D-tilt comes out too low. I'm just not really sure of my options that doesn't involve Up-B or trying my damnest to run away.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Retreating Sh air dodge nair is good, also same but cross up bair. I also like to bomb and retreat to ledge if I'm near it

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
As Xygon says, that's what you want. D-tilt, f-tilt and dash-attack all naturally combo out of a SH AD n-air and b-air. You can get ~40% with just two of those so it should sting.
I'll also add - jump *into* them, and jump just straight up. Don't ignore the jab though, once the % is tacked on, you can, and should stand your ground and jab 1+2.
It's a frame 3 attack, really jab is no where near as bad as grab, my opinion.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
As Xygon says, that's what you want. D-tilt, f-tilt and dash-attack all naturally combo out of a SH AD n-air and b-air. You can get ~40% with just two of those so it should sting.
I'll also add - jump *into* them, and jump just straight up. Don't ignore the jab though, once the % is tacked on, you can, and should stand your ground and jab 1+2.
It's a frame 3 attack, really jab is no where near as bad as grab, my opinion.
Question for all you lovely Samus mains.

When you don't have stage control and are being pressured, how do you stop yourself from being mauled by characters with high speed and/or attack speed?

I feel I have such extreme problems vs characters that pressure me and my only option is to punish mis-spaced aerials with Up-B. Jab sucks, F-tilt gets beat out by a lot of stuff up close, and D-tilt comes out too low. I'm just not really sure of my options that doesn't involve Up-B or trying my damnest to run away.

Jab 1 is an important option any percent. It is Samus least extending move and can mush players how commit to any move with a 5 frame startup. Ftilt and Dtilt are much more of a commitment. You have to have the state of mind to know what your likely to be punished with depending on what character your up against and percentages. It's a flowchart creator.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
SHAD nair and bair are great as mentioned, and don't sleep on jab, it's pretty good actually, just be careful at low %.

Pivot ftilt works great as well, and you can also SH dair which can be used to set up other stuff up. Up air can also be used effectively to surprise opponents by both jumping in or whiffing it and getting a dtilt or ftilt if they drop their guard

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
Just want to take a second to introduce myself. I've been playing since I was a kid with the first installment of smash. I played all others except Project M and Brawl. I'm much older now and can only dedicate so much time to playing, but I want to learn what I can with whatever free time I have. I'm just an average player. Anyways onto one question about one of my biggest gripes.

Does any one else have a hard time dashing? I tend to do smash attacks when I mean to do dash attacks, and it bothers the hell out of me. It's like the window to do smash attacks is too large. Smash attacks are supposed to be forward plus attack at the same time, but I find I can wait an entire half second before inputting attack, and still I smash, which makes my dash attack hitbox further away than I'd like it to be.

In any case, glad to be part of a smash community.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ MegaRiff MegaRiff Under the complete combo thread, look at instant dash attacks in the compendium portion (second post). Dash + c-stick down (down-smash). Never miss another dash attack again.

Welcome to the boards!

Last edited:

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
I've been messing around with Samus in friendlies at some of my locals. I feel like shes ok, not great, but ok. Are there any ATs I should know of?

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
So I'm beginning to consider Samus my main now more than ever (with Zelda and Palutena being my other favorites).

Question: I sometimes seem to lose my charged shot during a match, and I'm not sure why. If I had charged my shot, I thought I could only lose it if I was KO'd. Getting knocked around by the opponent doesn't make you lose your charge, does it?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So I'm beginning to consider Samus my main now more than ever (with Zelda and Palutena being my other favorites).

Question: I sometimes seem to lose my charged shot during a match, and I'm not sure why. If I had charged my shot, I thought I could only lose it if I was KO'd. Getting knocked around by the opponent doesn't make you lose your charge, does it?
If you get hit while charging you lose it. Of you get interrupted when trying to shoot it you lose it.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I've been messing around with Samus in friendlies at some of my locals. I feel like shes ok, not great, but ok. Are there any ATs I should know of?
Not really. Most good Samus play comes off of reads into charge shot, or simply outplaying your opponent. Nothing surprising really.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
With Samus as my main, I wonder if either of my other two favorite characters, Zelda and Palutena, would be a good secondary?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Not really. Most good Samus play comes off of reads into charge shot, or simply outplaying your opponent. Nothing surprising really.
I personally feel Samus is by far the most technically challenging and complex character in Smash4. Yes I have my bias but really, 4 months ago I didn't know 1% of what I now now about this character.
Flippant I suggest you read Xygonn's guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/outsmarting-mother-brain.343/
and go through the combo thread compendium section, 2nd post, for ATs. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-string-list-and-knowledge-compendium.391853/
there's everything from reverse charge shot to stage cancelled f-air to instant wall hops and more.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Did some testing on kill percents for Charge Shot from 20%-25% on ROB (on 3DS), and tbh I was kinda surprised the difference 1% can make

25% = 99%
24% = 106%
23% = 113%
22% = 124%
21% = 138%
20% = 149%

They actually kill a bit earlier, but I did it until I reliably saw the red lightning come out, but yeah takin the time to full charge at kill percents is definitely worth it it would seem

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Nice info. I'll add it to compendium. I really wish someone would cover SDI but I figure plain DI took a half year, SDI probably come January....
Also teching. I really want to understand teching in detail, I know for a fact up-tilt -> d-tilt is a true combo on someone who techs in place but I have no detail to my understanding of it beyond that.

Avakrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cluelessjoe
3DS FC
4511-0460-5313
Can Samus drag people down with her forward Aerial like fox's? I tried it in training but I can't get an ideal situation for it to happen :/

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Hey guys, I just recently picked up Samus--looking to make her a possible secondary or tertiary character. Any advice for Samus hopeful?

I've gotta say, I'm a bit discouraged by the threads down there talking about how bad or low tier Samus is.. lol :( when I picked her up on For Glory I actually thought she was pretty good against the non-high-tier characters

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've gotta say, I'm a bit discouraged by the threads down there talking about how bad or low tier Samus is.. lol :( when I picked her up on For Glory I actually thought she was pretty good against the non-high-tier characters
Any character can be good on For Glory due to varying skill levels of players, though.

To everyone else, hi, I do use Samus extensively but I rarely post over here.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Hey guys, I just recently picked up Samus--looking to make her a possible secondary or tertiary character. Any advice for Samus hopeful?

Yes there's been a lot of pessimism here recently, but don't be discouraged! Samus has the tools to beat (mostly) every character in the game, you just have to be prepared to put in the work to learn them

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
There are definitely some negative opinions, but there are also some very positive such as myself and @Depth_ . This is a very (very) high skill cap character. With the obvious disadvantages I'm withholding final judgement until I have all of the tech mastered, maybe another 4-6 months. Right now even given all the disadvantages, I can almost taste that higher level. I know the tags on for-glory have changed from "spammer" to "WOW" and "HOLY.F", whether this will translate in tournament vs other masters is yet to be seen but I remain optimistic.
For the Samus hopefuls who want to add some tech to their kit: I suggest learning the advanced grab combos i.e. the Grab-> slight dash -> Up-air + follow ups. Even though her grab is bad, the more I play getting the extra damage out of it is really useful, see the combo thread. You get those first couple dash and grab combos going and your jab combo comes online and basic play becomes easier.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Is Samus' air grapple that useful outside of ledge grabbing? I find myself using it for chip damage at times, but rarely.

WanderingChozo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6099-0390
Is Samus' air grapple that useful outside of ledge grabbing? I find myself using it for chip damage at times, but rarely.
I've never used it in the air for damage or ledge grabbing. I don't find it too effective. There been times where I have been slammed down with a spike attack or meteor smash though. I wonder if using that to grab the ledge will cancel that out. Maybe it has some sort of invincibility frames I can use. I'm gonna experiment with it.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Great for spacing, especially with a fast fall. Great for getups. Ledge release -> jump -> zair. If you use it to grab the ledge you only have 7 un-actionable frames on the ledge instead of 23 with a regular ledge snap. You can use it to preserve your invincibility while ledge camping. In other words: if you jump off and grapple and wait for your opponent off stage, you still have a ledge invincibility you can use while being a threat to a low recovery. For opponents that have non threatening upb's this also lets you let them grab the ledge with a really fast ledge trump option.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Something to motivate all us Samus mains

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I had been thinking about changing my avatar for a while now, and due to my passion for Samus as a character and the passion the community here has for seeing her grow as a Smash competitor, it was obvious what I would change it to!

roykoopa64 has long been my general gamer tag and gaming message board identity, but I'm considering making a change even to that as a member of the Smash community. We'll see.

On that note, does anyone know: is there any way to edit a user name in the Wii U game? I would hate to create a new name/ profile just because I want to make a change to the name and have to start with a clean slate in terms of my records and stats.

(I asked this in the general Smash 4 Q & A thread but lots of questions there seem to go unanswered.)

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I had been thinking about changing my avatar for a while now, and due to my passion for Samus as a character and the passion the community here has for seeing her grow as a Smash competitor, it was obvious what I would change it to!

roykoopa64 has long been my general gamer tag and gaming message board identity, but I'm considering making a change even to that as a member of the Smash community. We'll see.

On that note, does anyone know: is there any way to edit a user name in the Wii U game? I would hate to create a new name/ profile just because I want to make a change to the name and have to start with a clean slate in terms of my records and stats.

(I asked this in the general Smash 4 Q & A thread but lots of questions there seem to go unanswered.)
I may be mistaken, but I think someone else here has that same avatar lol.

Do you mean your NNID? Cause, I don't think there's any way to change that.
You'd have to make a new one if you don't like your current one.

Top Bottom