• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I may be mistaken, but I think someone else here has that same avatar lol.
Haha, I figured as much. Although I did search a bunch of threads here on the Samus forum and didn't see it... oh well, I'll find out eventually if it's already used by someone!

EDIT: Looks like I found the user, it's Scream who has that same Samus avatar. So I changed mine to a screenshot I took from the game!

Do you mean your NNID? Cause, I don't think there's any way to change that.
You'd have to make a new one if you don't like your current one.
Oh, no, I meant the username you select on the Smash 4 Wii U character select screen that is tied to your preferred control scheme, your wins/ losses, and so forth. Not the NNID.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Ah, that one.
Yeah, I don't think there's any way to change that one either. Only way to find out for sure is to search through the options.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just curious, what would you guys say her main weaknesses are and what makes her such a bad character? I see her very low in pretty much every tier list I've seen and I barely know anybody who plays her (both top level players out there, and people in my own scene), and I dunno too much about her. My only experience with her is the many Samuses in For Glory, where I find her somewhat annoying to fight at times, though it probably could be so because its on FD and Omega Stages only (bonus question: Would you consider that her best stage?) and the internet connection can pretty laggy. I think I can see a few of her weaknesses: Floatiness, a Slowass grab, a Jab combo that doesn't really combo, massive endlag on projectiles (with seemingly a full second of startup), and the slowest roll in the game; but I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the main picture.

I also tend to come across plenty of Samuses who use the downB from mid-air whenever I attempt to juggle her or punish her landing and I find it a bit of a nuisance sometimes. Is there any reliable to deal with that with almost any character?

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
1. Cannot shield grab. It's too slow on startup and the endlag is absolute murder.
2. Regular missiles are crap, in every possible way. Not one projectile in this game is worse than homing missiles.

All the other aspects are bearable, stuff like low priority skin-tight hit/hurt boxes and myriad other complaints like up-smash, endlag, etc.... Some of us, myself included, are still confident we can turn this around to net positive since the skill cap on the character is astronomic.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I'd say her fundamental flaw is, in a game where Shields are so amazing, she has an absolute garbage grab. She can put on very good shield pressure, however if your opponent is good at power shielding they'll be able to close gaps very quickly and safely.

So when they inevitably get in we have no safe options, Rolling away is slow and punishable, a whiffed grab is hugely punishable and our jab is unsafe even on hit (at lower percents at least). Sh Ad is decent but still not exactly safe.

The other major issue imo is landing, samus has virtually no way to land safely, meaning shes forced to sacrifice stage control constantly by retreating to the ledge

DarkPrime25

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkPrime25
Basically what they're saying above me, but to be honest regular missiles can actually be useful at times when the opponent is trying to recover. Same with bombs.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
1. Cannot shield grab. It's too slow on startup and the endlag is absolute murder.
2. Regular missiles are crap, in every possible way. Not one projectile in this game is worse than homing missiles.

All the other aspects are bearable, stuff like low priority skin-tight hit/hurt boxes and myriad other complaints like up-smash, endlag, etc.... Some of us, myself included, are still confident we can turn this around to net positive since the skill cap on the character is astronomic.
Missile is great reflector, pocket, and even shield bait. You can get a grab or better out of it.

Grambles

Smash Cadet
I've been getting great mileage out of homing missles, using them to bait out air dodges into CS. If they're recovering from high off-stage. They do no damage, stun or knockback but are incredible for forcing your opponents into situations.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I too have seen some usefulness with homing missiles.

Missile is great reflector, pocket, and even shield bait. You can get a grab or better out of it.
Yes. On more than one occasion when I'm playing against a reflector, they see my homing missile and start their reflect very early, and then repeat (perhaps due to unfamiliarity with the MU), without realizing how painfully slow that missile really is and how long it's actually going to take to reach them. All the while, I easily fill up a full CS (or take some other beneficial action).

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Xygonn, on one point we are going to have to agree to disagree. If you opponent allows you to spit a missile out, run 1/2 way across the stage, and GRAB them then they are:
1. A bad player
2. Asleep at the wheel
3. Don't even know there is a wheel aka. back to 1.
Missile setups are a benchmark for how terrible your opponent is. Terrible understanding of recovery, reflectors, shields, spacing, etc... If you land a missile setup, rest assured it's not you being good, it's them being bad. Yes they do occasionally work, but no, that does not redeem the move from the garbage bin.

We don't have a dedicated missile thread, although we've talked about one in the past.
Let's ignore for a moment that there is no missile cancelling, if I were introduced to the person who designed Samus' homing missile in Smash 4, I would not hesitate, there would be violence. "Hi!" BAM!
I challenge you, or anyone, to find in smash 4 a worse projectile.
When you look at how it's possible to release Duck Hunt's can as he's jumping forward, with no lag, Shiek's almost invisible needles, Villager's slingshot, Mario or Luigi's angled fireballs, the list goes on and on of projectiles that are not just a "little" bit better than homing missile, they're WAY better. Even D3s gordos with the possibility of them being reflected back in my face are way better. Literally go down the list and give Samus whatever projectile that is and she instantly becomes much better. Turnips, banana peels, metal blades, gryos, gryoids, lasers, anything, anything, anything.
There are no "actual" setups out of homing missile. Not like say the paralyzer of ZSS, the can or disks of Duck Hunt, those are real setups and real traps that will work against someone knowledgeable or even good.
Who do they zone and apply pressure to? D3. Check. Gannon. Check. DK. It's debatable, but let's say check. Robin without tomes? Check. Shield stance Shulk? Check. Um.... that's about it.
They are so terrible it's unreal. They're definitely the worst projectile and they are candidate for worst move in the entire game.
Missiles can kill *you* not opponents, off stage. I don't know how many times lag or missed input caused me to SD because a @#$% missile came out and the unreal lag of it prevented me from recovering. I don't know how many aerials and normal moves destroy homing missile on contact but my wager is 99%. And they can probably dash attack you afterwards if you're even remotely close to them. 5% damage is meaningless, trivial for the risk. Z-air does 4% and is about 50x more versatile.
I remain positive about Samus in this game, and I'm having a blast playing her, that doesn't change the fact that homing missiles are a complete travesty.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Xygonn, on one point we are going to have to agree to disagree. If you opponent allows you to spit a missile out, run 1/2 way across the stage, and GRAB them then they are:
1. A bad player
2. Asleep at the wheel
Missile setups are a benchmark for how terrible your opponent is. Terrible understanding of recovery, reflectors, shields, spacing, etc... If you land a missile setup, rest assured it's not you being good, it's them being bad. Yes they do occasionally work, but no, that does not redeem the move from the garbage bin.

We don't have a dedicated missile thread, although we've talked about one in the past.
Let's ignore for a moment that there is no missile cancelling, if I were introduced to the person who designed Samus' homing missile in Smash 4, I would not hesitate, there would be violence. "Hi!" BAM!
When you look at how it's possible to release Duck Hunt's can as he's jumping forward, with no lag, Shiek's almost invisible needles, Villager's slingshot, Mario or Luigi's angled fireballs, the list goes on and on of projectiles that are not just a "little" bit better than homing missile, they're WAY better. Even D3s gordos with the possibility of them being reflected back in my face are way better. Literally go down the list and give Samus whatever projectile that is and she instantly becomes much better. Turnips, banana peels, metal blades, gryos, gryoids, lasers, anything, anything, anything.
There are no "actual" setups out of homing missile. Not like say the paralyzer of ZSS, the can or disks of Duck Hunt, those are real setups and real traps that will work against someone knowledgeable or even good.
Who do they zone and apply pressure to? D3. Check. Gannon. Check. DK. It's debatable, but let's say check. Robin without tomes? Check. Shield stance Shulk? Check. Um.... that's about it.
They are so terrible it's unreal. They're definitely the worst projectile and they are candidate for worst move in the entire game.
Missiles can kill *you* not opponents, off stage. I don't know how many times lag or missed input caused me to SD because a @#$% missile came out and the unreal lag of it prevented me from recovering. I don't know how many aerials and normal moves destroy homing missile on contact but my wager is 99%. And they can probably dash attack you afterwards if you're even remotely close to them. 5% damage is meaningless, trivial for the risk. Z-air does 4% and is about 50x more versatile.
I remain positive about Samus in this game, and I'm having a blast playing her, that doesn't change the fact that homing missiles are a complete travesty.
Fluud ?

Reydiance

Smash Rookie
NNID
reydiance
1. A bad player
2. Asleep at the wheel

Agreed with everything you said..missiles make me sad in this game. But hey you could just use relentless if it's allowed.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
I also have to agree with @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster

I've been punished countless times because of the end lag and slow start up. The occasional missile is fine if you are 100% sure you're not going to get punished, but that also means that there's a close to 100% chance that it won't hit your opponent.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Homing Missiles are more for frame traps than anything else, they are pretty garbage, but not useless

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I confess I use Homing Missiles to "pin" enemies to the ground. Not sure if this is the appropiate use, but it works for me because if they dodge it, I hit them once they're out of their dodge state. And if they get hit, well, I can probably land a zair on them, or grab them once they land.

But I MOSTLY use them to pester opponents when they're coming back to the stage. Say one of them lands on the opponent, it won't be enough to ruin their recovery, but it might help land a Dair.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I'm not here to "defend" homing missiles as they are MU dependent.

One obvious use is if you hit a nair that knocks your opponent down, and don't have a CS. Send out the homing missile, they are forced to avoid it, thus giving you approach options. A super missile they can just lay on the ground to avoid. Against a campy villager, I stand by the fact that they are great pocket bait.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ok maybe final cutter. Although the movement options if you replaced side-B with final cutter probably put final cutter ahead. Fludd is great, I would love a windbox. Peanut popgun is just better in every way as a charge projectile with better aerial properties. I would pick Din's fire over missile, want to bait a reflector/pocket? Have it blow up in their face, best way.
Seriously, I use homing missiles, you have to, particularly in recovery, but they're an awful, awful move.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I will admit, I have a habit of using missiles offstage to distract opponents while I recover.

And I sometimes use ESAM's method of missile usage from PM in Smash 4 despite how slow it is.

:ohwell:

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
I don't know where else to put this, but its not really worth making its own thread. I keep getting this glitch when throwing out a second grab after the opponent escapes the first:

dunno if its matchup specific or if it's been reported before, but its kind of frustrating.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
That's not a glitch, you have to wait at least one second to grab after you release someone, Sakurai's way of preventing chain grabs i think

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Was spectating a game between Lian and SCRM and saw this happen

Any idea why it turned purple? Max range or something?

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
This is my first post using my new username (roykoopa64 is still my NNID). Since I have no idea what alias I would want to use, I thought I'd keep it simple and just use my name (and inspired by the talented J.Miller). This is also my name when I play Smash online so I'm easy to track.

I'm still struggling with my Samus. Well, my focus lately has been to really get a grasp on @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster 's combo table and just learning what combos work at what percentage levels using the magic number. Some of them I just can't seem to get to work, maybe just need more practice. Otherwise, I feel I've definitely improved at important Samus techniques things like UpB OoS and reverse CS, pivot tilt and pivot grab (ok, not all necessarily Samus-specific but still important!), so that's good. SH-AD is still not second nature, and I'm always accidentally jumping higher than SH when trying to do it, so I have to improve that.

I'll try to post in the combo thread when I am sitting down and trying the combos again (time is scarce when you have a 2-year-old kid, heh) with specific questions and what I'm struggling with.

I do have some FG matches I would like to post in the video thread for you guys to critique, just haven't had a lot of time lately.

@ Afro Smash Afro Smash , huh that is strange indeed.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yep please post in the combo thread if you're struggling with one/many. Some are a LOT easier to connect than others keep in mind. How much time have you spent in training mode? I probably have ~80 hours and I'm far from perfect at many of them.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster
Did Xyro ever send you those replays of our matches from a while ago so you could upload them to YouTube?
Cause I saved some or them myself for re-examination and I can send them your way if he didn't already.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ RoachCake RoachCake Nope! Please do send, I'll make a vid of high level Samus action.
I need a rematch vs. you at some point too... see if I've improved any or you still 2 stock me like a clown. :p

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Alright, I'll send em right now.

I actually haven't played for some time so I'm really rusty, took a break from smash to play some other games for a bit.
Could probably play you sometime next week, just let me know what's a good day for you.

I just started getting back to smash the other day actually, and I'm not sure if something is wrong with my internet all of a sudden or everyone on FG and Anther's just have bad connections, so it might be much laggier than last time we played. Should probably get one of those LAN adapters.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ RoachCake RoachCake next week sometime sounds good, I have a light week. Several people have wanted a crack at me since posting my videos, I'll try and entertain more requests. If you sent the replays, I didn't get them. ?!

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I'm not sure how long it takes for them to arrive, but you should be able to get them in the next few days or later today.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Make sure you have your settings set to recieve stuff from Spotpass too or w/e it is

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Got'em. I really like this feature, really nice. If I get a chance I'll post them later this weekend, maybe only next week/weekend.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hey guys. From now on I'll be increasing my presence here since I have my Wii U and a recorder, given Samus is the character I'm controlling best with at the moment. I'll be uploading videos, too.

:)

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Hey! I couldn't find a Q&A thread but I have a few questions.

I just recently picked up samus and love how she plays (Im a luigi main). What are some basics I should get used to while playing samus. I have been using D-throw to F-Air alot as well as dash attack to U-Air. Any tips would be appreciated!

Top Bottom