• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
You need to watch out for the widened hurtbox for it, though. Anything that hits even the tip of the foot/space above the leg is fair game.
Yep, agreed, all those damn disjoints. Had a Ness tickle me out of my kick the other day. Very irritating. It is a decent anti-air and an excellent punish but like everything, experience is key.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't sure were to post this stuff, so I'll just leave it here so it doesn't clutter other threads.
First, just an example of up b's crazy knock back on first hit
http://youtu.be/lI8NJtmU-xo

Second, just an example of bombs being able to gimp characters recovery, nothing special really
http://youtu.be/heNE9fJXevE

Also, I'm pretty sure I ran into Rohins in for glory (at least I think it was him, that was his tag and he used a mean green samus). And we had some pretty cool mirror matches. He definately was better than me but I think we went 50/50 on the matches. Probably because of some minor lag (I'm South American). I want to upload them but I'd only be able to use the phone to record and I'm not sure if it's good conduct. They were cool matches so it might be worth the potato cam

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Wasn't sure were to post this stuff, so I'll just leave it here so it doesn't clutter other threads.
First, just an example of up b's crazy knock back on first hit
http://youtu.be/lI8NJtmU-xo

Second, just an example of bombs being able to gimp characters recovery, nothing special really
http://youtu.be/heNE9fJXevE

Also, I'm pretty sure I ran into Rohins in for glory (at least I think it was him, that was his tag and he used a mean green samus). And we had some pretty cool mirror matches. He definately was better than me but I think we went 50/50 on the matches. Probably because of some minor lag (I'm South American). I want to upload them but I'd only be able to use the phone to record and I'm not sure if it's good conduct. They were cool matches so it might be worth the potato cam
Yeah the fixed knock back on the first hit of a grounded screw attack is strong but it literally only kills super light chars. At 0% (Samus at 0% because rage matters, opponent damage doesn't) it only kills Jiggs from the platform of battlefield.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Ok so oddly enough it looks like Wario is possibly the only character that can be spiked by our Up Tilt whilst he's airborne, I managed to pull this off in For Glory the other day

And @Los4Muros posted this a while back

It was speculated at first Los4Muros was able to do it because of the 1 frame vulnerability whilst snapping ledges, but evidently the Wario I faced is nowhere near the ledge. Los4Muros also said he was able to spike Bowser and Ganondorf with it as well, though he didn't post videos of that.

Not amazingly useful but something to be explored for sure

Last edited:

warturtle16

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warturtle16
3DS FC
5172-1225-5050
I am pretty new to this site, but I am trying to main Samus. I am somewhat disappointed at where Samus is landing on the tier lists, but I don't think that it is as bad as those lists place her.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Good to have you. I don't think anybody here thinks she's as bad as people think, and a lot of streamers get really surprised when a good samus comes along. But she's ranked low because standard stuff like rolling is horrible. But I think she's really good, really solid moves overall, great recovery, good weight and fantastic combo capabilities.

However she does have horrible match ups like Mario, Megaman, rosalina and the spacies

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Combined with the fact that outside of ChoZox and Xyro and a few others, no one has really gotten good results going just Samus.

-

Regarding U-tilt, it's been known it has spiking properties early on. It's just that given it's incredibly weird properties (basically only the area in the "center" spikes, pretty much meaning unless it's ground/the opponent gets close enough to Samus' crotch) coupled with the fact grounded spikes can be tech'd, situations typically leave either outright killing or not using U-tilt at all better than going for spikes.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Just had a bunch of games Vs. someone called Rene on 3DS FG, was that anyone here? They seemed too good at Samus to be a FG random

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Just a disclaimer: this isn't a circle jerk post or ego masturbation.

So I got back this afternoon from a weekly I organize and I did well and there were a lot of newcomers from different areas who had dropped by. I was recognized by a lot of people for playing a good Samus which isn't something I feel entirely gratified by but it is nice to be recognized for the work I put in to my character. This coupled with the fact that I had a lot of fun and the weekly was one of our best ever left me in a really positive headset and that's what's important to me in life, to have a good time and help others do the same. Today I accomplished both through the magic of smash.

I play Samus because I love the character which is why I assume you're even here in the first place reading this post. We didn't pick our main for the virtue of winning, we picked her because she's ****ing Samus. We're here because we just want have fun on our own terms. Winning isn't important, improving is and goddamn, we know it.

So a cheers to all of us handsome gentlefolk. We and everyone else who plays and develops whatever character they play regardless of "viability" because they want to, because they like to keep the meta fresh. We keep the meta fresh. Cheers, guys.

warturtle16

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warturtle16
3DS FC
5172-1225-5050
However she does have horrible match ups like Mario, Megaman, rosalina and the spacies
Ahh!!!! So Mario is a horrible match up. I thought I just had a kryptonite to Mario and balanced characters. Matter of fact Luigi gives me troubles too. I haven't played many Mega Man players, but the few that I have played aren't too bad (in terms of match up). Some times I have trouble with a Samus mirror, but my amiibo is helping me figure that one out.

Combined with the fact that outside of ChoZox and Xyro and a few others, no one has really gotten good results going just Samus.

-

Regarding U-tilt, it's been known it has spiking properties early on. It's just that given it's incredibly weird properties (basically only the area in the "center" spikes, pretty much meaning unless it's ground/the opponent gets close enough to Samus' crotch) coupled with the fact grounded spikes can be tech'd, situations typically leave either outright killing or not using U-tilt at all better than going for spikes.
In terms of the tourney response, I wish there were some in my area so that I could see how far strictly Samus can go. I played an online tourney about a week ago. I think I placed top 16 (out of 61), but I am sure lag might have gotten me some matches (because it sure cost me some matches, including the losers quarters).

All in all, someone should play me and give me a perspective and some insights.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
@ warturtle16 warturtle16
Luigi is definitely one of Samus's absolute worst match ups. Part of it is because even though he's a slow character, he has some of the fastest moves in the game. A good Luigi is very comfortable in Samus's ideal range, which is within her Zair reach imo.

I'd rep Samus in tourneys, but unfortunately my life is filled in a way where I can't even attend weeklies. Count your blessings, guys. FG and anthers ladder is all I can seem to pull off.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Samus has worse matchups than Luigi, I"ve beaten one of the, if not the best austrian Luigi in a Tournament. Also my training partner mains Luigi so I know very vell how the matchup works. R.O.B., Mario, Fox and Mega Man are much worse.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I think Pikachu and Fox are our worst match ups, they're fast, small and can juggle us like all hell. I think if any Samus main wants to do well in tourneys they need a good secondary unfortunately, Samus has a few too many bad match ups vs the most popular characters

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Pikachu and Fox are our worst match ups, they're fast, small and can juggle us like all hell. I think if any Samus main wants to do well in tourneys they need a good secondary unfortunately, Samus has a few too many bad match ups vs the most popular characters
Samus can juggle Fox back, though, and Screw Attacks OOS can deal with his pressure well
as long as she watches for grabs. Plus in a customs environment Dense Charge Shot can really
mess with him, especially during recovery.

Last edited:

warturtle16

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warturtle16
3DS FC
5172-1225-5050
Samus has worse matchups than Luigi, I"ve beaten one of the, if not the best austrian Luigi in a Tournament. Also my training partner mains Luigi so I know very vell how the matchup works. R.O.B., Mario, Fox and Mega Man are much worse.
Yeah. I still feel Mario is worse than Luigi. Fox has always been a problem, so I feel if you have mained Samus for a while, you should know where to take risks against a Fox.

I have played a fair amount of Pikachu, and I don't think it is all that bad. I feel that in order to play Pikachu you have to let go of forward smash and opt for running A and missiles. Counter spark spam with half charge buster shots.

Again, I haven't played much against Mega Man, but I am trying to second Mega Man myself. That said, I feel that Mega Man and Samus are very similar (or can be because Mega Man is such a versatile character).

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Maybe Luigi is just my personal kryptonite. I'd much rather go against Mario anyday. At least you can out smart his Cape and make him reflect your CS right back at him if he thinks he can read you. I find ROB and Samus to be one of the more equal match ups. It sucks going against a character that can out projectile spam and has a reflector, and is generally faster, but to me ROB doesn't have bombs and that changes everything for me. Love them bombs.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I find Luigi also a very difficult matchup, although I can see a god Mario, Pikachu, or Fox being more difficult, I just have little experience with those.

Personally, I find Rosalina and Shiek to be an aggravating match for Samus as well.

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
Horrible MUs(imo):

• Fox
  • Luigi
  • Megaman
  • Duck Hunt
  • Pikachu
  • Diddy
  • Dedede
  • Link
Manageable MUs(imo):

• Mario
  • Sonic
  • Sheik
  • Villager
  • Ike

Well a lot are manageable to easy, but the initial list of horrible MUs is what I've noticed make it frustrating. Probably the most annoying out of them is Megaman.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Dedede? He's one of the few characters that you can rack up massive damage with the otherwise garbage usmash. He is total combo fodder. You can stuff gordo with anything. He has a fairly predictable recovery. He can't do anything safe on shield. How's he giving you a problem? Notably, the D3 boards think Samus is a Dedede reaper.

http://smashboards.com/threads/your-worst-matchups.374191/

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
Dedede? He's one of the few characters that you can rack up massive damage with the otherwise garbage usmash. He is total combo fodder. You can stuff gordo with anything. He has a fairly predictable recovery. He can't do anything safe on shield. How's he giving you a problem? Notably, the D3 boards think Samus is a Dedede reaper.

http://smashboards.com/threads/your-worst-matchups.374191/
Playing a super competent DDD.

FG DDDs are 90% of the time easy to deal with, but mind you the experience I had with the DDD to be put in that list was not from FG.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Most of the "Horrible" MUs you listed will be easier once you learn the MU more, like Link and D3.
I had more trouble than I should have against those two for a bit as well.
D3 is basically free once you learn the MU.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Diddy isn't that bad of a match up either. I'd give it 55-45, 60-40 at worst and I don't really think that. Lots of combos don't work, he can't even hoo hah efficiently, you can zair and even grab monkey flips, can edge guard him very efficiently. You can rack up damage pretty efficiently as well and charge shot really shuts a lot of his options along with a good screw attack oos

Villager is a pain because that damn pocket. It makes the charge shot ridiculous, can kill at like 60% and will break your shield on one shot. Plus it's faster. Not only that but his defensive game is super strong to get in.

Plus, in what universe is Ike a bad match up? And I don't see how luigi is worse than Mario.

Last edited:

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
Villager is a pain because that damn pocket. It makes the charge shot ridiculous, can kill at like 60% and will break your shield on one shot. Plus it's faster. Not only that but his defensive game is super strong to get in.

Plus, in what universe is Ike a bad match up? And I don't see how luigi is worse than Mario.
Pocket spamming villagers aren't that much of an issue if you never give them a CS. They'll tend to swallow up a normal missile more than anything since they like to spam pocket thinking you're going to shoot a CS. The only real villagers that put up annoying resistance if they know how to bair/fair really well, although screw their turnips.

Also, Ike's take a good advantage of Samus if you're off the ground. Never said it was a bad MU though, in fact it's a fun one, but can get frustrating easy.

As for Mario, they don't give me a hard time as much as Luigi does, especially when they can wall with their fireballs.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I don't think Fox is all that bad purely because he has no guarantee follow ups on Samus with a throw and can't outright kill with one either, so up-b OOS ends up eating half of his pressure game. Bait out shines with slow missle then punish with zair right through it. Its in your interest if they stop shining, because it opens up CS as a viable punish option. Besides, missles stuff his side b recovery, and if he opts for an early one he lags enough to punish anyway, and his up-b is stuffed by b-air into a stage spike. I honestly think the biggest threat he has is 1-2-1-2 jab kill setups if you don't DI in time, but you should be shielding that anyway. I'd say he's hard only if you crack under pressure, otherwise he's one of the easier (relatively, we're still Samus here) speedy characters to deal with.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
As for Mario, they don't give me a hard time as much as Luigi does, especially when they can wall with their fireballs.
Mario and Luigi are both hard MUs for Samus for roughly the same reasons. Both cancel out projectiles with fireball (though Luigi does it better), and both juggle the crap out of Samus. Samus can legitimately get outcamped by both characters, and when she has to approach against characters with the best frame data in the game, she's in for a rough time.

IMO, Luigi is slightly easier than Mario. Samus doesn't have a reflector to fear vs Luigi and she has an easier time spacing him. Mario is much more mobile and has an easier time juggling Samus.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I hate to jump on the boat of the pointing out characters thing but is Duck Hunt really that much of an issue against a Samus? Personally using him I don't see how that can be outside of clay pigeon, which is easily beat out by most of Samus' own projectiles.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hate to jump on the boat of the pointing out characters thing but is Duck Hunt really that much of an issue against a Samus? Personally using him I don't see how that can be outside of clay pigeon, which is easily beat out by most of Samus' own projectiles.
He can block charge shots at any level with wild gunmen and cans. Anything with a hurtbox will stop projectiles,
and clay is no exception. Though he is also like Samus in that his projectile game is fairly easy to get around
on it's own, he uses it more as a way to try and get you to leave yourself open, particularly to grabs.
Fortunately he is not very good at finishing stocks so the heavy Samus can live for quite a while.
He is also relatively easy to gimp.

Customs on he becomes much more frustrating, with quick-draw aces pestering you at mid-range
and zigzag shot letting him control pretty much the whole stage. It takes a lot of practice to do this well,
though, and his stock finishing problem remains.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Any advice on the Olimar match up? I played a friendly in a local here who was pretty impressive. It was the first one I've played who knew how to wall effectively with his pikmin. I won by a dair spike, but he had me on the ropes. So how to rekt Pikman?

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Any advice on the Olimar match up? I played a friendly in a local here who was pretty impressive. It was the first one I've played who knew how to wall effectively with his pikmin. I won by a dair spike, but he had me on the ropes. So how to rekt Pikman?
The Olimar MU is all about learning his character. All but purple pikmin cause knock back in their side B variety so if he just spams you can punish with a dash attack. It's important to not be too afraid of his Pikmin because you'll never get in. If you see the opportunity present itself, 10 damage or so is worth the price of admission. Don't be afraid to take those Pikmin to the face. Olimar has a blind spot towards the top of his head where a CS ia safe from clanking a tossed Pikmin but will still hit. This is super important to remember.

A ledge trump is worth gold since Olimar on the ledge can be hit by a CS. Near the edge stay close, his recovery is caca and you want to capitalize on every option.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Mario and Luigi are both hard MUs for Samus for roughly the same reasons. Both cancel out projectiles with fireball (though Luigi does it better), and both juggle the crap out of Samus. Samus can legitimately get outcamped by both characters, and when she has to approach against characters with the best frame data in the game, she's in for a rough time.
I disagree with the idea that they out-camp us. Zair negates projectiles like those.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
The Olimar MU is all about learning his character. All but purple pikmin cause knock back in their side B variety so if he just spams you can punish with a dash attack. It's important to not be too afraid of his Pikmin because you'll never get in. If you see the opportunity present itself, 10 damage or so is worth the price of admission. Don't be afraid to take those Pikmin to the face. Olimar has a blind spot towards the top of his head where a CS ia safe from clanking a tossed Pikmin but will still hit. This is super important to remember.

A ledge trump is worth gold since Olimar on the ledge can be hit by a CS. Near the edge stay close, his recovery is caca and you want to capitalize on every option.
Thanks for the info. The problem I see every time I look back on the replay is that the pikmin toss has like 0 end lag. Maybe I'm entering too late, but almost every time I tried reading his throw, he'd shield my dash attack. And the issue with the CS blind spot is that there's nothing stopping him from SH pikmin throwing to negate that. Just a theory, though. I guess my real work ahead of me is to play Olimar until I've got his weaknesses down pat.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I disagree with the idea that they out-camp us. Zair negates projectiles like those.
Z-air is only effective if you catch them short hopping and even further Mario and Luigi are not tall characters. Luigi spams fireballs faster than Samus can spam Z-air, and Mario is still mobile while using fireballs and he will love it if you decide to Z-air because Samus' aerial mobility is poor in comparison, allowing him to punish your landings.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
I feel a half charge shot is needed to be on you at all times to punish any attempts of fireballs thrown at you. It can be tricky when you're rushed down in to a corner though, I rely on up airs to get in, bairs nairs and dairs to clash with short hops, ftilts to get keep aways and utilts to punish roll ins. You just can't let them play their game, you gotta be harassing them and poking them with Zairs and go for dash attacks or grabs off them

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Z-air is only effective if you catch them short hopping and even further Mario and Luigi are not tall characters. Luigi spams fireballs faster than Samus can spam Z-air, and Mario is still mobile while using fireballs and he will love it if you decide to Z-air because Samus' aerial mobility is poor in comparison, allowing him to punish your landings.
I'm not sure how you can punish a well spaced zair but ok. My main point was they wont be able to camp us so we don't HAVE to approach. I was wrong about zair but charging CG in between every fireball will surely encourage them not to camp.

Top Bottom