• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXTACXx

Smash Journeyman
So I picked up Samus a few weeks ago and was playing against my friends Bowser. Pretty early on I grabbed and tried to pummel but for some reason it does no damage.

Does her pummel just not work on some characters?
doesnt work if you punch heavy chars to much. Samus has very weak punchs as you can tell :chuckle:

Hive

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure that the pummel thing is a bowser only glitch (isn't it?)... i think she stops doing damage after the first pummel...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure that the pummel thing is a bowser only glitch (isn't it?)... i think she stops doing damage after the first pummel...
It works sometimes. When I was brawling with Liquid Gen's Bowser, I was able to deal damage on him with the Chozo Chop. It only happens sometimes.

icedragon-

Smash Rookie
Using consecutive jabs with characters like Yoshi and Zamus can result in no damage dealt. I'm not completely sure what the reason it but my guess is stale move negation. It applies for jabs too.

I was playing an lulz match as MK not too long ago against a Yoshi player. He grab released me all the way across the level (online.....) and I had the same percent before and after. It also works for different weight-classes. MK is light and Bowser and is heavy. If you pummel each one too much without getting it reset in damage then they will stop taking damage from the jabs.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Using consecutive jabs with characters like Yoshi and Zamus can result in no damage dealt. I'm not completely sure what the reason it but my guess is stale move negation. It applies for jabs too.
A jab does 3% damage. The Chozo Chop does 1%. There isn't any stale move negation, simply because a jab is not the Chozo Chop. This happens in Training Mode as well, and staling never occurs in Training Mode.

Patrick (A1)

Smash Rookie
is the (infinite) single wall-walljump with samus allready discovered (idk how it's called)? (doing more than 1 walljump using only 1 wall)

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
I think a long time ago someone mentioned something about bomb jumping refreshing the wall jump. Not sure if that is what he is referring to.

ZodiacT42

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Next Wednesday I have a Brawl tournament at my school and I was looking for help so me and my buddy can walk away victorious. I main Samus (of course!) and my buddy mains Snake. We will be against Metaknight and Link in a team deathmatch (3 stock lives, Final Destination, friendly fire ON, no items). I think we can clinch this but I'm just looking for any insight you guys have, that darn metaknight's Tornado and B-up rocks me. Thanks!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Hey guys. Next Wednesday I have a Brawl tournament at my school and I was looking for help so me and my buddy can walk away victorious. I main Samus (of course!) and my buddy mains Snake. We will be against Metaknight and Link in a team deathmatch (3 stock lives, Final Destination, friendly fire ON, no items). I think we can clinch this but I'm just looking for any insight you guys have, that darn metaknight's Tornado and B-up rocks me. Thanks!
With team attack on, Meta Knight is going to have to be careful using it, since he could end up hitting his teammate. I'd have Snake go after Meta Knight, and you as Samus, go after Link. Let the top-tiers deal with the top-tiers and the low-tiers with the low-tiers. As for Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop (Up+B), try not to get hit, and don't try risking a spike on him or edge-hogging him. You'll end up losing a stock if you do.

Hive

Smash Lord
what dryn said ^^ let snake go after mk or your going to get rocked :p I think mk is samus' worst matchup personally.

Hive

Smash Lord
ok, what do you guys think of this?->

Its sort of a list on who I thought would be the hardest to spam (keep from approaching) to the easiest....
just some thoughts, i'm not saying they are 100% right or anything :p i had to guesstimate on a few... it will at least promote discussion on the subject though...(?)
but if you disagree with something give me a chance to explain what i was thinking, kk? ^^

How Hard to Spam?
(being hard to spam is usually one of these factorse a) they are short, b) they can outspam you, c) they approach too fast, or d)they have some other technique that gets through spam or makes it harder to spam/use openings(yes tornado, i'm speaking to you)

HARD

Metaknight
Falco
Sonic
Sheik

PRETTY HARD

Pit
Diddy Kong
Kirby
Toon Link
Olimar
Squirtle
Lucario
Wolf

SLIGHTLY HARD-
Snake
Game and Watch
Marth
Pikachu
Fox
Wario

NEUTRAL

Ness
Mario
Lucas
R.O.B.
Luigi

SLIGHTLY EASY

Ice Climbers
Link
Zelda
Peach
Captain Falcon
Zero Suit Samus

PRETTY EASY
Charizard
Ivysaur
Yoshi
Jigglypuff

EASY

DK
Ike
DDD (yes ddd. he can smack samus around like a toy doll, but the truth is he sucks at avoiding spam)
Bowser
Ganondorf

Crystanium

Smash Hero
HARD

Metaknight
Falco
Sonic
Sheik

PRETTY HARD

Pit
Diddy Kong
Kirby
Toon Link
Olimar
Squirtle
Lucario

SLIGHTLY HARD-
Snake
Game and Watch
Wolf
Wario
Fox
Marth

NEUTRAL

Ness
Mario
Lucas
R.O.B.

SLIGHTLY EASY

Ice Climbers
Link
Zelda
Peach
Captain Falcon
Zero Suit Samus

PRETTY EASY
Charizard
Ivysaur
Yoshi
Jigglypuff

EASY

DK
Ike
DDD (yes ddd. he can smack samus around like a toy doll, but the truth is he sucks at avoiding spam)
Bowser
Ganondorf
Let me check the list. Link should be a bit higher. A good Link can spam very well. His attacks aren't horizontal like Samus'. Kind of. Bombs can be thrown any direction, and they only blow up if they hit the ground, hit you, or are hit by your Charge Shot (full). The Gale Boomerang interferes with Samus' Homing Missiles, which makes it a bit difficult for Samus to spam. Marth and Mr. Game & Watch don't seem to have any real problems getting by the spam. If you don't believe me, I'll be more than happy to direct you to two very skilled "I'm going to **** you" players. Just ask me if you're interested, and I'll mention their names. Captain Falcon should be a bit higher as well. Only one who isn't familiar with the way Samus works will have problems.

Hive

Smash Lord
Thanx dryn ^^ yea, i haven't actually fought many links so i kinda guessed that one lol ^^ how far up should he be iyo?
gw and marth do pretty good i think too, but I wasn't sure how to move them up w/o moving them past characters i thought could do better.... marth i think could get past wario, fox, and wolf maybe... but then snake i had there bc he can crawl, and use his nades to cause lapses in spams, and mortar slide,
lucario bc his side dodge is faster than his overall run and his aura spams are pretty good, squirtle bc of his size, speed, dI.... marth is good but you can keep him off you for a little bit longer i think.
anyways, those are just my opinions i guess ^^ still fun though to look at how much you should be able to expect :)
what do you think?

Edit: tada! found a new avi on swf ^^ i saw my old one like 10 times today lol so i figured i should switch :p

Crystanium

Smash Hero
krpao said:
does her pivot grab make that much of a difference? i've tried it and it seems to last just as long (or maybe longer) than her standing grab, which is a bummer. maybe i'm doing it wrong? could someone direct me to a video?
The pivot grab lasts the same amount of time when it's out as if Samus were simply standing. I cannot find a video of Samus performing the pivot grab to show how to do it, but in this video, you can see me using the pivot grab around 0:08-0:10.

krpao said:
* what are some tactics to avoid being juggled? i've become pretty good when it comes to mind games with bombs, but once i get to the point on the stage where i can be reached with a single jump, landing becomes a challenge depending on the character (fast jumping/falling ones especially). i can only avoid hits via air dodge so many times, so i usually find myself going for the edge. missiles sometimes help, but my friends/opponents alike usually don't fall for that.
Slowing yourself down with Bombs is really the only way to go. You can try to perform d-air. Also, save your second jump if you're hit upward, because while you're slowing yourself down, you can have that second jump at your disposal, and you can use it to keep your opponent from hitting you.

krpao said:
* the screw attack: i've noticed that occasionally towards the end of the sequence, characters can fly off at a downward tilt. is there a specific way to produce this result?
I'm not sure what you mean here. Please clarify.

krpao said:
* boba fett vs. samus. who wins and, more importantly, could anyone stop their children? :p
I recall reading about Boba Fett losing to a blind Han Solo. Samus has this one in the bag.

krpao said:
* oh, and just as an opinion question: how do you use your charge shot? offensively or defensively? i'm curious to see how other samus players use theirs. i prefer it as a quick way out of a bad situation myself.
I use it whatever way I wish.

krpao

Smash Rookie
Thanks Dryn! Not a bad video by the way.. is there a list of match-ups for Samus? I've got one in my head, I'm just not sure whether it holds any water.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Thanks Dryn! Not a bad video by the way.. is there a list of match-ups for Samus? I've got one in my head, I'm just not sure whether it holds any water.
I feel a terrible matchup for me is Mr Game and Watch. I hate the fact that his bair and dair are broken and also that he has unbelievable killing methods like dsmash, fsmash, usmash, the hammer, fair etc. I hate GW.

Hive

Smash Lord
i usto hate g&ws too... but really there are so many worse matchups for her I don't really mind g&w as much as before, I can usually fare pretty good against him now.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I feel a terrible matchup for me is Mr Game and Watch. I hate the fact that his bair and dair are broken and also that he has unbelievable killing methods like dsmash, fsmash, usmash, the hammer, fair etc. I hate GW.
I'd say that one is actualyl really close on paper. I do even with most GaW's maybe they re your horrid matchup. Mine is link, that little terd ball is vicious when he spams. I can't even get close. although on paper it's like 60:40 or like 55:45 or something I think...

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I'd say that one is actualyl really close on paper. I do even with most GaW's maybe they re your horrid matchup. Mine is link, that little terd ball is vicious when he spams. I can't even get close. although on paper it's like 60:40 or like 55:45 or something I think...
Well yeah. GW is my worst matchup IMO. I just hate him. I can't even beat a n00b GW! Yet I can beat a really good Snake!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Could I get a quick rundown on Samus' matchups that are even or in her favour? I know she does well vs. Snake........any other matchups that might surprise me?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I get beat by good Snake players. :/
I chocked on my ichiban when I read that too. I went straight even with this guy today and his snake was about the same skill level but I got two stocked him. god knows why but the matchup isn't terribly tough but it sure isn't easy. easiest I'd say is prolly ike or better yet, Ganondorf. but srsly Dryn where the hell is our matchup guide?? I want to know what Spamus vs. bowser is as I'm getting beaten by a bowser every match that I play with him, and it sucks :(

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
^I'm picking up bowser and this is what I know:
Bowser doesn't die vs campers. its people like marth (ironic?) that beat him up. So Bowser vs Samus isn't that surprising but I think samus would still have the edge... seeing as she has a chain that can limit his klawhopping approach and shut him down in the air + a variety of recovering methods that help her survive his kill moves. I'm kind of interested in a matchup guide too... to help out my cousin.

Hive

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure samus is one of bowser's worst matchups (under ddd of course ^^), that's what i've heard from people. samus can just shut down bowser's approaches too much with her spam game and own him offledge. :( i think i remember someone saying they'd even rather face mks than samus as bowser lol. it makes sense though, samus really does exploit bowser's weaknesses a lot and can rack ridiculous amounts with zair/missile/cs spams and gets good damage by exploiting openings in his defense for grabs or short burst combos like dash attack to upb ^^

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I get beat by good Snake players. :/
He's still the second best character in the game obviously but I remember Hylian saying that Samus goes almost even with Snake and I remember someone mentioning ROB as almost even as well.

Hive

Smash Lord
snake beats samus when the snake has good experience with samus imo there are many tactics snake can employ to gain advantages in the matchup that most snakes don't utilize until they know they matchup and her patterns a lot better (crawl, avoiding spike range, ledge guards, etc...). however i think for most snakes you'll see, samus has a 60-40 advantage. if snake actually learns to approach, counter, avoid offledge game and exploit the difference in onstage kos then i think he actually gains a 70-30 advantage though.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I chocked on my ichiban when I read that too. I went straight even with this guy today and his snake was about the same skill level but I got two stocked him. god knows why but the matchup isn't terribly tough but it sure isn't easy. easiest I'd say is prolly ike or better yet, Ganondorf. but srsly Dryn where the hell is our matchup guide?? I want to know what Spamus vs. bowser is as I'm getting beaten by a bowser every match that I play with him, and it sucks :(
Xyro has made a match-up thread. My other two failed. I have information on Bowser, though, so I'll send that to you through PM.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Holy Balls guys lol. there's a week's reading I am starting on now. Thanks for the info though :) but holy Eff lol. I agree with Zeus in My circumstance

@ Hive: I've tried missile spamming he'll jump then air dodge n then double jump and he's at me. the double jump is to get over my zair. somehow he always approaches and deals like 60 before I can get out of there :( now I go Sheik for this match up as I've given up but I will read what everyone says and try to formulate a strat

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This thread will now be closed for two reasons: 1. phanna is no longer handling this, and 2., I am still an active member of the Samus board. I might make another one if necessary.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I suggest you, or another person make another one of these then. You don't really have to update the OP in these threads and they are very useful in avoiding topics that end after one post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom