• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus is bad.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Prove me wrong.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
It's impossible to prove a Smash Elitist wrong. I don't think she is horrible and i think she is a lot of fun to play. All of her airs autocancel which is nice and her Zair owns people. It shouldn't be THAT hard to kill as long as you keep your Dtilt, Bair and Fsmash fresh.

I don't main Samus so i don't really have too much to say about her but i don't think she is that bad.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Samus is actually balanced. She can build up damage pretty quickly but has trouble killing. Her floatiness helps her recovery, but diminishes her ability to pseudo-shffl and wall with zair. She is decent offensively and decent defensively but nothing exceptional. She is good and balanced....

....which means low tier in Brawl :urg:.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This topic has a purpose.

I'm not trolling. And I'm not arguing with people.

Just state your case :). Doesn't matter what I think.

dowingba

Smash Rookie
I know everyone likes to be all elitist about items and such. But if you play the default way (ie: with all the items turned on) Samus has probably the best final smash in the game. AND once she's done obliterating everything in sight, she gets to become Zero Suit Samus, who absolutely owns.

Even without that, though, Samus is great. She has some of the best projectiles in the game and some great smash attacks. Her down tilt is legendary and her down air can spike folks if they aren't careful.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
The less samus players there are, the slower she takes to improve and it's not like she doesn't have any potential for those players to quit in the first place. Zair felt like the teaser of whats to come. Then came along screw attack OoS. There may or may not be more but it's enough reason to keep searching for more ways to improve samus.

She's good at mindgames. Charge your beam and then count the amount of times players will randomly slow their offense to activate a reflector on the offchance you fire. The start up animation for zair and homing missile are the same so you can mix up you moves.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The less samus players there are, the slower she takes to improve and it's not like she doesn't have any potential for those players to quit in the first place. Zair felt like the teaser of whats to come. Then came along screw attack OoS. There may or may not be more but it's enough reason to keep searching for more ways to improve samus.
Very good. :)

Pi

Smash Hero
What it takes to win:
30% Character 70% Skill

I for one have more than enough skill to make up for samus' short commings d(^.^)b

Gum

Smash Journeyman
All aerials auto-cancel, nice mix ups, nice off-stage game, nice survivability, great recovery, zair, and a projectile that can KO (despite it being nerfed, it is still a long range KO move, so it still counts as an advantage)

Overall, these are pretty solid character attributes.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Bum.

10bums

-Nox`
QFT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miP2_tT6-4U

That's the best I can do for you Hylian, I don't play Samus . . . (cause she's bad, lol)

I know everyone likes to be all elitist about items and such. But if you play the default way (ie: with all the items turned on) Samus has probably the best final smash in the game. AND once she's done obliterating everything in sight, she gets to become Zero Suit Samus, who absolutely owns.

Even without that, though, Samus is great. She has some of the best projectiles in the game and some great smash attacks. Her down tilt is legendary and her down air can spike folks if they aren't careful.
lol, Samus has a mediocre Final Smash. See Sonic. Her's isn't even garrenteed to kill.

Plus, if you wanted to play ZSS, you could do that without the Final Smash, and ZSS is also a mediocre character.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
I second this motion.
Third

Seriously though, Samus has shortcomings, but not without some positives. Z-air, the Up-B OOS, she still has the missiling brickwall, good recovery, her airgame is viable, her floatiness compliments this, giving her combo potential, or as close to it as you can get, her spike is insane, and she is harder to knock off than she was in Melee.

EvolveOrDie

Smash Cadet
Well there's the excellent multi-purpose projectiles from damage building, zoning, and setups. Then there's the Zair which we love, dair for gimpgasms, useful aerials, and while her knockack isn't stellar she has a very good pressure game and can camp the ledge like it's nobody's business which leads invariably to the dair at some point. So if ZSS is sex then Samus is safe sex with an arm cannon.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
I don't think she's bad...

A really smart/skilled player can destroy people with her for the following reasons.

-You can space yourself and punish by using each of these at their appropriate times: zair (for quickness), homing missiles (to lag opponents), smash missiles (to kill shields), and plasma (situational). Of course this works best against opponents with poor projectiles, but it is still plausible otherwise.

-If you get pushed back in your spacing, or need to retreat; her edge/off the stage game is amazing (i hardly lose on or off the edge). Bomb's are especially useful for retreat or turning combo's from opponents into your own.

-She CAN kill, be really smart with her and it's easy. Someone is fighting you off the stage? Dair them, gimp them (with grapple or homing missiles). Or if they don't, easy, save your down tilt all game and kill them at 130, it's that simple.

Saying Samus is bad in brawl is like saying Jigglypuff was bad in melee (Mango).

Samus isn't bad, she's different, not like the majority of brawl characters where spaming is ftw. With Samus it requires a little more thinking.

Of course all of this is my opinion, and I may be wrong on a lot (if not all) my points.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Some people are using Tudor as an example.

If Tudor should show why samus is bad, then why did he get 33rd(I think it was that) at AZonetwo Step?

Tudor = Amazing.

Tudor plays Samus.

Tudor got 33rd at Azoneonetwo step.

How exactly does that prove Samus is good?

Good posts so far though. Keep it up.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Some people are using Tudor as an example.

If Tudor should show why samus is bad, then why did he get 33rd(I think it was that) at AZonetwo Step?

Tudor = Amazing.

Tudor plays Samus.

Tudor got 33rd at Azoneonetwo step.

How exactly does that prove Samus is good?

Good posts so far though. Keep it up.
I'm surprised you would base everything off of tourney results from a single tourney (which you keep coming back to) when you of all people should know that it takes a lot more than one tourney to show how good someone is. Just because i fought two players from the top 10 early means I am worse than player B? It's kind of sad that every time I try to provide input you automatically attack me.

I get it Hylian, no one is allowed to be good at a character you "may want to alt".

Gindler

Smash Champion
My brother plays a pretty fominable (spelling?) samus, and he's hardly played any brawl I just had to tell him the buffs and nerfs she got from melee (his melee main obviously) and he picked her up fast. But yeah almost no representation, her Zair is a great gimping weapon if used right. Hmmm, I think I might go pracice so i can secondary her right this second.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Double post.

This is dumb, from past experience i feel like you are just going to argue more and more.

I never said I am good with samus (cause I'm not, i got stuff to do like college and work), I just said that SAMUS is good. Maybe you can be that skilled player that makes her good. Good luck.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Didn't Tudor beat Sethlon one match?
I mean, beating Sethlon... even though he didn't take the set, that's gotta be worth a whole hell of a lot.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Popertop, but someone people don't want to focus on the whole picture, just biased segments.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Thanks Popertop, but someone people don't want to focus on the whole picture, just biased segments.
I don't think that Hylian meant it like that. I think he was just trying to debate for the sake of debate, since we are on Smash Boards, and he didn't want what might be a valid discussion just because I posted a link to your vid and other people cosigned on your obvious talent. I'm sure Hylian has respect, please don't misinterpret what he was trying to get at.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
I may have misinterpreted it, you're right. I guess I assumed based on the timing of his comment. Well anyways, discuss samus, go.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Yeah guys Samus isn't like super broken like Marth or Snake so obviously shes horrible we should all stop playing her.

Kidding of course. Hylian, do you plan on returning to Samus? It would be great to have you back man. I don't play competitively (I play CoD4 on the PC competitively, don't really have much time to play two games competitively) but I do watch videos of top players and use what I learn to beat the snot out of my friends.

There aren't any bad characters, there are normal characters and stupidly overpowered ones (Snake, Marth, Falco). Thats my opinion anyway. Samus is a balanced character and can perform well with the rest of the cast.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I would probably have Samus as an alternate if she wasn't terrible. At least that's what I thought, turns out she just has a massive learning curve, and you have to play smart.

As I thought about Samus's playstyle, it reminded me of Ibuki from Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike.

Initial Impression:
Ibuki is a character with relative low stamina (2nd lowest hp in the game) and a very high learning curve. Asyou would think, this turns off many players from the get go. Usually people want to play someone "good", or they want a "pick up and play" character. It's good and bad in the sense that if the char. has a large learning curve, you won't have a bunch of random noobs running around giving the char. a bad name, but also that lessens the player base for that character so there are fewer minds working on the playstyle nuances, and most times the nuances to higher play are the things that give you that little edge over the competition that you need to come out on top.
Summary: Hard learning curve turns off many players from the get go, which is good and bad. Players that learn the character and the matchups can do very well and surprise a lot of people, as well as getting recognition for sticking it out with a less than stellar competitor, but getting there is very difficult and takes patience and perseverance.

Of course, she(Ibuki) isn't without her perks. She has the safest rushdown in the game (she has an incredibly deep jump as well as an air kunia enabling her to safe jump from ridiculous distances), with the most extensive mixup game as well. Her attacks come out very fast, with little punishable lag. Her pokes are good, and she can win the poke game against some of the top tiers if you guess right. She has some ridiculous lightning fast combos, and the chip damage on her super is the most of any in the game. Sadly, she taked additional damage if hit while crouching and during her fake dash (Gake) and her dash special (Kubi Ori). This can be absolutely devastating when combined with high/top tiers like Ken who have amazing pokes that also happen to be hit confirmable into super.

Nuance:
One of the gameplay nuances with Ibuki is a double edged sword. She is able to hold onto momentum very well, and it's friggin' hard (HARD) to stop Ibuki once she gets in her rythym (my friend can vouch for that). The downside to that is if the opponent has the momentum it's hard to get it back. This is the failing of many fledgling Ibuki players, as they don't know how to get the momentum back. This makes Ibuki a very balanced character indeed, although as someone stated earlier if the character is balanced in a fighting game that usually means they are low tier. But if you can learn the character and overcome the disadvantages then you can surpise people how well you can do with a character thought of as "bad" or "low tier".

This was a very long stretch of a tangent on the discussion, but I hoped by my analysis some people can see what I mean.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah guys Samus isn't like super broken like Marth or Snake so obviously shes horrible we should all stop playing her.

Kidding of course. Hylian, do you plan on returning to Samus? It would be great to have you back man. I don't play competitively (I play CoD4 on the PC competitively, don't really have much time to play two games competitively) but I do watch videos of top players and use what I learn to beat the snot out of my friends.

There aren't any bad characters, there are normal characters and stupidly overpowered ones (Snake, Marth, Falco). Thats my opinion anyway. Samus is a balanced character and can perform well with the rest of the cast.
lol @ Marth being broken in Brawl. Marth is really good in Brawl, but not even number 3 (somewhere from 4th to 7th)

See MetaKnight @ number 1, Snake @ 2, and R.O.B., King Dedede, Mr. Game and Watch, Falco, and even Wario at the top, all on par, barely below or above Marth (take it from a good Marth main).

In fact, Metaknight completely neutralizes the reason to play Marth competatively. He's better in almost every way.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Tudor, you completly misunderstood my post. I was pointing out that people shouldn't use players in these arguments. Azen wins tournaments over top players with Lucario. Does that mean lucario is top tier? No, it means Azen is ****ing amazing. I was basically saying the same thing about you.

Top Bottom