• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
This, and grabbing Rosa after her N-air connects to the ground is useless. She can input a D-tilt after landing, and that will hit you out of the grab.

D-throw combos do not work because Luma will get you. I'm gonna have to say your best throw is your Side Throw or Up Throw. The other two are pointless as a broken pencil. Up Throw has very little lag. Good for killing Luma and for charging up. Side Throw is best used on the ledge because it's the most powerful throw.

Plz don't grab Rosa out of her Dash Attack. Up Smash OoS is the perfect counter for it. Anyone else feel this is a very unfair MU?
Oh she's horrible, I've wanted to have you guys critique some vs Rosa matches but I for the life of me can't finish a match in under 4min.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Jonny Westside was saying just last night how he thinks Samus has a positive match up against Rosalina. He didn't give specifics though.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
https://youtu.be/2p1Fk03P_Dw vs Sheik
https://youtu.be/p69ePtV52eg vs Sheik 2

Anyone wanna critique these 2? He was pretty good and I want to know what to look for. I also know my habits need a bit fine tuning. I have 2 other matches against him but cannot load them for exceeding the 3min limit.
1st vid:
@ :21 that second bair was unnecessary. I do it all the time, and can't seem to break the habit myself. After the first one, just go back to a neutral play style. The risk of a missed bair and the subsequent punish is too great, in my opinion.

@:40 the roll after the charge, was that on purpose? I have a feeling it wasn't. If so, then there are some input errors you gotta iron out. Again, happens to me more than I care to admit.

@1:20 Nice read.

2nd vid:
@1:07 He didn't take the bait and your SHAD to bair was punished. If that happens one, be cautious about doing it again, hes obviously a patient player. It may also just be a habit of yours to avoid.

@1:41 I don't advise punishing with a fsmash. It's usally blocked or dodged, resulting in yourself getting punished instead. That's a huge terrible habit of mine so it sticks out to me when I see it.

Hope that helps some.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ MegaRiff MegaRiff Thanks man! It deff will help. I do tend to throw out lots of Bairs and SHAD Bairs. Been slowly trading it for more retreating Nairs.

The roll was supposed to be a moving forward SHAD Zair....to which I rolled so I'll look into making my transitions smoother.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
@ Ffamran Ffamran , Depth's pivots are amazing. Sooo smooth.

-----

Here are two recent online matches against my cousin (he's the only person I know in real life who plays Smash as much as I do):

So... jab 1 has some weird properties indeed? At 0:44, Mario was on the right, I was facing left, and the jab hit him and caused him to topple over the right edge. I guess jab 1 has a hitbox somewhere in Samus' body?

I'm glad I am able to use pivot f-tilts occasionally, they're very helpful.

I know my Samus needs a lot of work!

But in terms of things I'm happy about: I like how Samus' u-smash worked so great at 0:39. It definitely has its uses. Also, I love it when I get the read on the air dodge when opponent is high in the sky and I'm able to kill with Up+B (0:42).

I love d-air's wide hit box (2:31).

Also, I love shield breaks (2:55). In this case, my poor cousin shielded my bomb and I followed up with CS! Fortunately I didn't have to worry about correctly pulling off dirty bomb for the kill this time, f-smash was good enough.

Things I know I need to work on:
-I'm still having trouble spacing with SH z-air. I keep jumping too high when I only want to SH. Need to work on that one a lot.
-Also, knowing my combos. That's an area I need vast improvement on.
-When playing on a stage with walls (like these omega stages), I need to remember to mix up my ledge get-ups with things like ledge drop, wall jump -> b-air, and so forth.
-I messed up inputs on several occasions. Threw missile when trying to bomb, used f-air when I wanted to n-air, etc.
-Use more reverse CS as appropriate.

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Beefy Smash Doods Tournament Matches

Against the top 5 player from Austria

Against the Top 1 player from Linz (at that time the tournament was already running for about 9 hours, I couldn't concentrate that well anymore)
Should have used Missiles against Robin, and not SD against Charizard.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529

Against the Top 1 player from Linz (at that time the tournament was already running for about 9 hours, I couldn't concentrate that well anymore)
How safe is that FF Bair on shield?

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Pretty safe if not power shielded. Shieldstun is very high so if he trys to dash grab afterwards then you can spot dodge him.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Pretty safe if not power shielded. Shieldstun is very high so if he trys to dash grab afterwards then you can spot dodge him.
Not too safe, especially because of Falcon's dash grab. That being said I think a back air and charge shot could break a full shield, it was looking awfully small.
15 frames disadvantage on shield hit (before you get spot dodge intangibility, 13 frames disadvantage before you can shield) if you get the sweet spot the frame before you land. It has to be spaced well so you get enough pushback a regular grab won't get you if you don't cross up.

Bair (14) plus CS (28) will not break a shield, it is 8 damage short.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
15 frames disadvantage on shield hit (before you get spot dodge intangibility, 13 frames disadvantage before you can shield) if you get the sweet spot the frame before you land. It has to be spaced well so you get enough pushback a regular grab won't get you if you don't cross up.

Bair (14) plus CS (28) will not break a shield, it is 8 damage short.
So cloooose! I guess bomb+charge shot is the way to go.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So cloooose! I guess bomb+charge shot is the way to go.
Bomb + CS is definitely the go-to. I find myself landing that a lot. On shield is great cause you get a break, unblocked its 34 damage. I only hate it when they perfect shield one, the other, or both.

Last edited:

S4MUS

Smash Rookie
NNID
LordOfTheOcean
A match I had with Serynder:

He's a great Puff, although in this match he went for too many rests. Landed a 0-death with a dirty bomb punish off a whiffed Rest at 0:53. Gfycat: gfycat.com/VibrantEnormousArrowana

Last edited:

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
I was actually looking for this thread a few days ago but couldnt find it for some reason.

I attended a 64 man tourney recently ad played an early match on stream. Me as samus vs a charizard. I actually played and beat a decent fox aswell but that wasnt on stream unfortunately.

One weird MU specific thing I discovered: Apparantly a morphball bomb stops a flareblitz dead in its tracks, regaardlees of bomb timing. Really weird

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I was actually looking for this thread a few days ago but couldnt find it for some reason.

I attended a 64 man tourney recently ad played an early match on stream. Me as samus vs a charizard. I actually played and beat a decent fox aswell but that wasnt on stream unfortunately.

One weird MU specific thing I discovered: Apparantly a morphball bomb stops a flareblitz dead in its tracks, regaardlees of bomb timing. Really weird
That is super interesting.

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
Weird right? it happend multiple times that set too, so it wasnt a fluke/glitch. It's especially weird since flareblitz is suppossed to have super armor

S4MUS

Smash Rookie
NNID
LordOfTheOcean
At a local tournament recently, I was fighting a Wario. I uptilted him twice while he was in the air, both times he was spiked similarly to Falcon's utilt. He wasn't above the lower blastzone, however. I've heard how this sometimes happens with Wario specifically, but I was surprised that it happened twice like that. I saved the replay, although I won't be able to get it until next week. Any idea why this happens with Wario, and only Wario?

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet

Fantastic games! I hevent seeen Bair used so effectively in neitral before! Great stuff

Gr4pefru1t

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Octorock
Bombs explode on contact, and in the video against Charizard, the bomb was in the path of Flare Blitz. This would lead me to believe that the Super Armor on Flare Blitz is active during the Startup animation, or for the few frames following the startup.

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671

Some casual friendlies with my friend from Instagram. Some funny moments, too. I try to keep my movement as active and interesting as possible with Samus.

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
Bombs explode on contact, and in the video against Charizard, the bomb was in the path of Flare Blitz. This would lead me to believe that the Super Armor on Flare Blitz is active during the Startup animation, or for the few frames following the startup.
Nope, bombs don't explode on contact. Touching them once does activate proximity mode but flareblitz speed should be enough to fly past them initially. Flareblitz super armor is active during flight, not during startup. This can be seen in the set where I get flareblitzt through a super missle a few times and hit him out of startup on a few occaisions

Gr4pefru1t

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Octorock
Nope, bombs don't explode on contact. Touching them once does activate proximity mode but flareblitz speed should be enough to fly past them initially. Flareblitz super armor is active during flight, not during startup. This can be seen in the set where I get flareblitzt through a super missle a few times and hit him out of startup on a few occaisions
Is Flareblitz's super armor percent based, then? Not taking into account staleness or freshness (aka training mode), bombs deal 9% whereas Homing Missiles deal 5.

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
Is Flareblitz's super armor percent based, then? Not taking into account staleness or freshness (aka training mode), bombs deal 9% whereas Homing Missiles deal 5.
It is percent based. But I also hit it mid flight with a super missle (10%) and that didnt stop the flare blitz

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Flare blitz is pretty weird - if you CS the blitz above like a 70% cs it'll just send charlie flying. I don't know what does and doesn't actually stop flare blitz because it's always 100% better to power shield it and either cs if you got it or if they're low percent you can get a dash attack combo going before they can act again.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Flare blitz is pretty weird - if you CS the blitz above like a 70% cs it'll just send charlie flying. I don't know what does and doesn't actually stop flare blitz because it's always 100% better to power shield it and either cs if you got it or if they're low percent you can get a dash attack combo going before they can act again.
I prefer to just dash up and jab as they hit the ground to get a jab reset and full charge upsmash if they're at kill % for it.

Top Bottom