• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
How do you guys play the ditto? I love Samus, but I have a hard time playing the ditto simply because my ground neutral and reaction time to charge shot isn't on point alot of the time.
I honestly don't know how to explain it. The Samus ditto is kinda weird, at least for me. I guess being patient and waiting for them to make the move first and punish, or using Zair to punish missiles is one way to do it. I think others could explain it better than me, though. I honestly just go with it. lol When it comes down to players of similar skill, Samus v Samus can kinda go either way in this game really, at least in my experience, and I haven't had too many fights like this.

Nah, I'm just ballsier when going for things like spikes. Years of sticking to the side of the screen tell me that playing from afar pisses off people more effectively.
Well clearly I should pick up that trait, then. lol I go for spikes more often with characters like Captain Falcon. Samus' Dair just doesn't feel as good to use in this game compared to all the past ones to me, and I think that's partly due to not being able to effectively fast fall with it like you could in Melee, and it doesn't seem to have as much reach. Of course, I think another factor is that I know that Samus is floaty, so fighting another one makes it more difficult for me to judge when to use it.

Oh, and... dat video. ;)

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
My epic quick match shall not be relegated to bottom page post. >:|

I was laughing like mad.
How do you guys play the ditto? I love Samus, but I have a hard time playing the ditto simply because my ground neutral and reaction time to charge shot isn't on point alot of the time.
^sums up pretty well, but it's just a war of attrition. Who outspams who and who abuses the endlag of certain moves or throws better in the case of similar skill levels.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I'd like to add to both @ Darkmanticorex2 Darkmanticorex2 and @Teshie U to use DSmash sparingly. I hardly use it as I feel its just crappy onall aspects. Maybe @DungeonMaster, @ Afro Smash Afro Smash @ Tonetta Tonetta or @ Xygonn Xygonn could chime in more about it. I'm not at their level so I'd like to hear more about it since they use it and I don't. Thoughts?

*edit* when I say "they use it" I meant Teshie and Dark. Sorry for the confusion
Basically dtilt does more damage (than the front hit) and puts them in a better position for follow ups. It has less end lag from the first hit to FAF even as laggy as it is. Dtilt is really disjointed and actually reaches further than fsmash. Dsmash is OK at covering rolls and getups, sometimes even spot dodge because the rear hitbox basically covers your whole body.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
If you hit cs between shield hits on the break opponent keeps cs push back.

Last edited:

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
So a friend caught this a few days ago and I just checked it out.

Had a FG match against Zero lol.
(Skip to 11:11)

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
This is embarrassing, but I think I was the orange samus. Was it vs. BRIAN? I have johns for days about that match :) You punished my charge finish on the first stock, I had no way to shield. I was yelling at the screen, I shielded before full charge. I couldn't SH for **** for some reason (input lag?). Mispaced my aerials badly. Finished trying to shoot CS from the ledge and missing my jump input. I have more johns to go with those johns. SH air dodge didn't work for me at all. A few dtilts that came out as smashes. Not gonna blame lag, but that was an off day for me. I'm still gonna come in here and admit it. I was so shocked to see a Samus on fg, then so upset with my play. I thought to myself, dammit, this guy is gonna think I'm a **** samus. I played so bad I think I switched to random... Was that me as Wario and Doc too? I think I remember the Doc match. I couldn't believe I didn't reverse my upb. FUUUUUUU. Free wins for you. Friend me and I can try to suck less next time.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff

Some random matches for your enjoyment. Maybe some of you can pick up a few things, or maybe not. Just thought I'd share.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I lost this match, mostly because I've never ever dealt with a Little Mac who actually goes off stage (besides for those obvious jolt haymakers to ledge shenadigans anyway) to gimp, so I was not even remotely prepared for those. Still, I'm really happy with how well I was spacing everything. I can't wait to see him in bracket again so I can get my revenge...

Also, I think this might have an example of up-b's poor priority for your video, @DungeonMaster.

Last edited:

3swag5u

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pedromoreno444
3DS FC
0104-2098-4887
I all of a sudden started finding a bunch of complete, disrespectful a-holes who swore in the tags. Those guys are banned for being rude. You can also get banned from being reported too much. Yes, people will report you if you are all over them and show no mercy. That's what I'm there for. You also keep finding the same players over and over again. Found this one guy 24 times in a single day, and he kept leaving the room out of salt.

When I try to play For Fun, no one shows up ever. Only one person will, but we gotta wait a minute each time. And if you're playing too much while being banned, you will have an empty room for a bit. You just play with other banned players, but just limited. The people there for being rude will just report bomb you, making you stay in the "BANLANDS" even longer. I don't even play FG anymore because of that. I'd love to play with friends, but I cannot get matches started because I'm banned on Miiverse. And I've been checking the profiles of the people I've been facing. They all complain about finding the same people over and over again; they're banned. I've fought players who IMO should be banned, but they made posts questioning it. Basically, if I keep playing FG, I'll be off for good.

Anyone wanna add?
It's probably weird I'm replying several days later but I'll add you. I don't get to play Samus dittos often so I'd like to learn from you if you don't mind. :)

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I will post this recent For Glory match here against a Peach I played last night. There's one thing that bothers me: at 2:50 I charge up my CS but not fully. I'm not sure what % charge I have. Anyway, I release it in air and it is canceled out by Peach's aerial (her f-air I think). Is this a 'Samus design issue' for @DungeonMaster 's video? Or just simple Smash 4 mechanics at work? If it were 100% charged CS I imagine it would have beaten her aerial.

Last edited:

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Something that should change is clashing. Clashing due to moves staling should never happen.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
It's probably weird I'm replying several days later but I'll add you. I don't get to play Samus dittos often so I'd like to learn from you if you don't mind. :)
Sure, I'll add you when I get home from school...after I take to my thread that needs updated badly.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I will post this recent For Glory match here against a Peach I played last night. There's one thing that bothers me: at 2:50 I charge up my CS but not fully. I'm not sure what % charge I have. Anyway, I release it in air and it is canceled out by Peach's aerial (her f-air I think). Is this a 'Samus design issue' for @DungeonMaster 's video? Or just simple Smash 4 mechanics at work? If it were 100% charged CS I imagine it would have beaten her aerial.

Peach's fair is 15%, and it was the first move in her stale queue, so you'd need like 23%. That's almost full charge, you weren't there. I know this already got answered, but I thought I would give you a more specific answer. The 8% clash rule is always true. People seem surprised by it. I honestly like it because zair can drill through the majority of projectiles even with the 1.5% early hitbox.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Peach's fair is 15%, and it was the first move in her stale queue, so you'd need like 23%. That's almost full charge, you weren't there. I know this already got answered, but I thought I would give you a more specific answer. The 8% clash rule is always true. People seem surprised by it. I honestly like it because zair can drill through the majority of projectiles even with the 1.5% early hitbox.
Thank you for the technical reply. So, I think this is something I need enlightenment on:

So the 8% clash rule is that when two attacks face each other and are within 8% damage output of each other, they simply clash.

And the advantage of zair is that it doesn't clash with the majority of projectiles because it is such a low damage move. So what is actually happening then? A powerful projectile will not be nullified by zair, will it? This is a Smash mechanic I don't know fully understand despite the amount of time I've played it.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
FWIW, a video showcasing d-tilt to punish those who roll behind you. A good way to pop them up into a combo.

Another example here at :40, with a dsmash. And at 1:17 an example of nair being safe on shield.

Here, at 1:22 an example of conditioning an opponent with zair, forcing them to run in on your jump after a short while. That's when you CS.

Another example of zair conditioning @ 1:54

If any of you see something I can improve on, or habits you feel I need to break, do let me know.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
This is embarrassing, but I think I was the orange samus. Was it vs. BRIAN? I have johns for days about that match :) You punished my charge finish on the first stock, I had no way to shield. I was yelling at the screen, I shielded before full charge. I couldn't SH for **** for some reason (input lag?). Mispaced my aerials badly. Finished trying to shoot CS from the ledge and missing my jump input. I have more johns to go with those johns. SH air dodge didn't work for me at all. A few dtilts that came out as smashes. Not gonna blame lag, but that was an off day for me. I'm still gonna come in here and admit it. I was so shocked to see a Samus on fg, then so upset with my play. I thought to myself, dammit, this guy is gonna think I'm a **** samus. I played so bad I think I switched to random... Was that me as Wario and Doc too? I think I remember the Doc match. I couldn't believe I didn't reverse my upb. FUUUUUUU. Free wins for you. Friend me and I can try to suck less next time.
If registering smashes or tilts are difficult, I'd advise getting into the habit of setting tilts to c stick so you can do walking tilts much more easily.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
FWIW, a video showcasing d-tilt to punish those who roll behind you. A good way to pop them up into a combo.

Another example here at :40, with a dsmash. And at 1:17 an example of nair being safe on shield.

Here, at 1:22 an example of conditioning an opponent with zair, forcing them to run in on your jump after a short while. That's when you CS.

Another example of zair conditioning @ 1:54

If any of you see something I can improve on, or habits you feel I need to break, do let me know.
I enjoy your play style, like when you go aggro in the 2nd video against Queezy's Ganondorf. Really good pressure.

One thing I noticed in your fight against SMM1's Metaknight is how hard it is to punish his whiffed Up B. I like your zair use a lot, especially the way you use against a short character like MK. I'm really trying to improve my own zair.

Nice comeback against the Ness.

Overall I like your use of dair for offstage spikes, that's something else I've become aware of improving on.

Sorry I don't have a lot of useful feedback for improvement, you're at a much higher level than I could hope to be.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
If registering smashes or tilts are difficult, I'd advise getting into the habit of setting tilts to c stick so you can do walking tilts much more easily.
My c-stick is set to tilts, I just need to get in the habit of using it for every dtilt. In fact, more reliable utilts and dtilts is a large part of why I set the stick that way (plus better for aerials). Just haven't built up the muscle memory. I need to force myself to do it more. It just often feels faster to try to go for a traditional tilt.

Thank you for the technical reply. So, I think this is something I need enlightenment on:

So the 8% clash rule is that when two attacks face each other and are within 8% damage output of each other, they simply clash.

And the advantage of zair is that it doesn't clash with the majority of projectiles because it is such a low damage move. So what is actually happening then? A powerful projectile will not be nullified by zair, will it? This is a Smash mechanic I don't know fully understand despite the amount of time I've played it.
Aerials keep going even after they clash (or even lose!) because nothing stops an aerial attack animation (unless you hit a hurtbox). You can trade aerials as long as you reach the hurtbox of your opponent. You can trade uair (1%) with Ganon's fair (17%) if you get the right overlap. Zair is an aerial attack. It will "clash" with any projectile doing 9.5% damage or less, which in this case means zair wins. That's almost everything but a fresh super missile or a charged up projectile (including charged up hero's bow). I like to getup with zair a lot (probably to a point of it being a bad habit). It always nails people trying to punish my getup with a projectile.

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Priority

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
That's wrong it's a 9% difference as opposed to 8%. Also as far as decimals are concerned it will always round down. So a 1.0% attack will clash with a 9.9% attack, but will lose out against a 10.0% attack.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
That's wrong it's a 9% difference as opposed to 8%. Also as far as decimals are concerned it will always round down. So a 1.0% attack will clash with a 9.9% attack, but will lose out against a 10.0% attack.
Thanks for the correction. The list of projectiles zair beats doesn't change though. Everything but fresh super missile and charged up projectiles. So I guess any projectile under 10.5 gets beat by (fresh) zair.

Last edited:

3swag5u

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pedromoreno444
3DS FC
0104-2098-4887
Sure, I'll add you when I get home from school...after I take to my thread that needs updated badly.
Okay great :) I don't work until Monday so I'll be playing Smash the whole time like a lame-o. :p

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Thanks for the correction. The list of projectiles zair beats doesn't change though. Everything but fresh super missile and charged up projectiles. So I guess any projectile under 10.5 gets beat by (fresh) zair.
It's actually anything less than 10 supposedly. Was testing it and zair beats Super Missile for some reason. I even tested another move that did the exact same amount of damage as zair (Mario's Jab2) and it lost, so not sure what to say there. lol

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
It's actually anything less than 10 supposedly. Was testing it and zair beats Super Missile for some reason. I even tested another move that did the exact same amount of damage as zair (Mario's Jab2) and it lost, so not sure what to say there. lol
Fresh zair should beat fresh super missile just barely. For ground attacks, if you clank the hitbox it is dead vs that character for that part of the move. It could still hit on the 3% hit if someone jabbed the 1.5% hit.

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this is news or not, but I found this out messing around on FG with a baaad Yoshi.

morph bomb can remove directional momentum from a hit. Watch the kill on the last stock.

And one more match so you guys don't think I'm garbage

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Fresh zair should beat fresh super missile just barely. For ground attacks, if you clank the hitbox it is dead vs that character for that part of the move. It could still hit on the 3% hit if someone jabbed the 1.5% hit.
Not what I was saying. zair does 1.5% so it should round down to 1% causing a 9% difference, but there are weird results:
zair 1.5% vs Super Missile; 10% clashes and cancels each other
Mario's jab2 1.5% vs Super Missile 10%; Super Missile wins
Dr. Mario's dair ~1.9% vs Super Missile 10%; clashes and cancels each other
Dr. Mario Tornado ~1.3% vs Super Missile 10%; Super Missile wins

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Guys, very rarely Back Throw Rosalina. There's so much lag on the Back Throw that Rosa can make Luma do a D-air, and you will die.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Guys, very rarely Back Throw Rosalina. There's so much lag on the Back Throw that Rosa can make Luma do a D-air, and you will die.
it's best not to grab rosalina at all if luma is up because you literally cannot follow it up and half the time you'll get hit before you throw anyways so it's high risk no reward.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
it's best not to grab rosalina at all if luma is up because you literally cannot follow it up and half the time you'll get hit before you throw anyways so it's high risk no reward.
This, and grabbing Rosa after her N-air connects to the ground is useless. She can input a D-tilt after landing, and that will hit you out of the grab.

D-throw combos do not work because Luma will get you. I'm gonna have to say your best throw is your Side Throw or Up Throw. The other two are pointless as a broken pencil. Up Throw has very little lag. Good for killing Luma and for charging up. Side Throw is best used on the ledge because it's the most powerful throw.

Plz don't grab Rosa out of her Dash Attack. Up Smash OoS is the perfect counter for it. Anyone else feel this is a very unfair MU?

Top Bottom