• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Any points in particular you can point out? I do really like D tilt so implementing it more wont be a problem

And yeah @ E.Lopez E.Lopez ive faced him before so he knew to fear the charge Shot haha, and after the most recent patch its end lag is basically non existent so he doesn't have much reason to not throw it out. I dont mind though because we can camp Ness really easily, so I just spaced with zairs and missiles all game pretty much and there's not much he could do
I'll look at the video this evening and get back to you. Definitely making Samus look good dude.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
@ leiraD leiraD Thanks
@ Xygonn Xygonn Yeah I think I just really like to play conservative on tournament, especially if I'm confident I can beat them on stage I don't wanna risk losing a stock early or unnecessarily, if/when the captain falcon games get uploaded you'll see me off stage a lot more. And thanks I didn't know Up air beat that, should make recovering a lot easier vs ness

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Vods from last weeks tourney, no sound unfortunately

Still losers finals to come
This is exactly how I pictured my samus strategy fully realized. (Cept maybe more aggression off stage).

I'm not technically good enough to do what is in my head. I keep using missiles and grabs the wrong way and shooting missiles when I wanted bombs or vice versa. Any tips on the technical side?

Also, great job. Easily the best samus I've seen on smash 4 thus far. And I've watched a ton of tournaments.

Is there a specific reason you didn't use as many bombs or grab as often in the rosaluma game?

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Just gotta practice dude, hit the lab to practice specific tech/inputs then go in to games and solely focus on implementing them until you can do them without thinking, hat's how I did it.

I didn't use bombs as much vs rosalina cuz her Dash Attack is really quick and good so she'd be able to punish me fairly easily, grabs im not sure, probably because i couldnt condition him to shield much since he has gravitational pull to beat projectile pressure, and luma hit me out of it a few times so didn't seem to be of much worth

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Just gotta practice dude, hit the lab to practice specific tech/inputs then go in to games and solely focus on implementing them until you can do them without thinking, hat's how I did it.

I didn't use bombs as much vs rosalina cuz her Dash Attack is really quick and good so she'd be able to punish me fairly easily, grabs im not sure, probably because i couldnt condition him to shield much since he has gravitational pull to beat projectile pressure, and luma hit me out of it a few times so didn't seem to be of much worth
Ya that's a really bad match up. But I feel like if you had played like you did in the previous few games you coulda pulled it off. Not that you played bad in the last. Just not as good. But then again I guess if you take away the projectile pressure things become exponentially harder for Samus.

Srsly doe... did you sign up for evo? I feel like you could be a real threat.

And yea, that's what I'm doing. You pretty much replicated the vision of Samus I had for myself.

INSPIRATIONAL! Haha

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Yeah I know I didn't play too well, if I play him again im confident I can take him or at least push him to game 5

And no I haven't entered Evo haha, I wouldn't anyway because customs, but also I don't think im good enough to compete at that level yet. I might be going to Beast 6 and if that goes well ill probably look in to going to apex

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Really nice matches @ Afro Smash Afro Smash and congrats again on 4th in such a big tournament.
I find it's easy to be self critical in fighting, I'm constantly counting the combo starters I fail to capitalize on...
There's an old maxim by Archilochos that I use to remind myself when I choke and things don't flow the way I ideally wanted: "We do not rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training."

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I didn't rewatch the whole set, but in the Rosalina match, I think you could have gotten some dtilts (or at least tried for it with very little chance of being punished) at the following points:

0:30
0:38
0:48
0:53
1:34
2:32
5:34
6:34

They were small windows, the move comes out frame 6 (ftilt is frame 8), so its pretty quick. At the very least, you would put on some shield pressure. Something I've found that works for me too is doing the standard get-up and then dtilt during your invincibility frames. It lands a surprising amount of times until the opponent is conditioned to it, and then you can switch it up with a grab. Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Thanks, and yeah I do that a lot too, covers a lot of space in front to stuff anyone running in for a grab or anything, I'll try to implement it more if he's at the monthly again (and I make it to him)

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
This one isn't 0% but I forgot to save the other ones I did today. It's pretty difficult to pull off on most of the cast but is totally doable.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
A small dump of FG vids.

First is a tense match vs a DDD, second is literally almost perfect.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A when you broke DDDs shield I screamed "OMG HIT HIM THE OTHER WAY!!" Thinking he was gonna live from that. Good games!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A when you broke DDDs shield I screamed "OMG HIT HIM THE OTHER WAY!!" Thinking he was gonna live from that. Good games!
I would have done that if I hadn't been so desperate to capitalize on the break immediately, to the point that I opted to forgo my usual break----->taunt----->kill routine just to secure that kill.

Lady Luck favored me this time.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
You're definitely improving @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A with considerably less rolling, you'll notice the match you did really well in you panic rolled less (a roll for re-positioning is generally fine). My comments would be that you definitely like dash and grab, so you should hit the lab and learn the dash and grab combo trees. You could have picked up a lot of free damage by applying the correct follow ups. First video at 0:18 you could have landed a triple (d-throw -> dash -> u-air -> u-air -> upB), DDD is just not going to die at that percent thrown offstage (short of being an idiot). At 0:25 you should have up-B instead of b-air. Missile or bomb offstage instead of z-air at 1:13, always. At 1:19, also you can get a triple instead of just f-air. The jank physics of the gordo is always a good laugh. Definitely like Hak17ball said, if you're not aiming for fancy after shield break, make sure to position towards the nearest blast zone! You actually have a lot of time after shield break.
Samus is actually quicker in the air than your inputs in general, you can definitely get more moves out and even when you have the right idea like against Ike at 0:55 you miss the follow up because you let Samus fall a bit before input, i.e. no combo.
Keep up the good fight.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ MegaRiff MegaRiff good games man! They were close! Great use of Zair!

I would hold back on the use of Fsmash. I used to toss it out all the time but as people here habe mentioned its got such a crappy hitbox it just be used sparringly.

Ive been adding UpB as a punish/intercept on people who cross over head/fall into me and its been working out great! I noticed multiple times you could have used it, so if you get that down you'll be aggravating people by countering so many approaches!

One more thing I'd like to add. Try adding some SHAD Nair/Bairs into the mix as an approach or a retreat. Someone whiffing a move/dropping shield/ or even trying to dash at you can get a boot to the face!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ MegaRiff MegaRiff your overall character control is quite respectable in fact, you're doing a lot of the "right thing" in my opinion. Your overall movement is quite fluid and your basic timings on attack/defence is good, even very good.
You have in general a physical and aggressive style (a little bit like my own I feel) with zero camping.
Your opponents likewise, are no slouches. Landing the DDD b-air and the repeated SH FF diddy f-air means they too have a good basic understanding of their characters.
What you did "wrong" in my opinion: you didn't adjust your style to the matchups. DDD and Ganon are specifically where you want to apply a traditional missile zoning game. They are too slow, the missiles actually pose a significant threat and wall to them. You can go full physical on them particularly if you get the combos rolling but if the trades are almost even, you're likely going to lose. If the first few passes don't give you a significant percent lead definitely in those matchups fall back to missile zoning. There are only a few characters in this game where we can do this.
Against the villager: advancing SH AD -> cancel z-air if he jumps. You're trying to jump at him with z-air, which is the right idea - except his slingshot is much faster and you're getting interrupted. If you do the SH AD, you won't get interrupted as often. I also quite like n-air offstage vs. villager because the stupidly thin hitbox clips his balloons on occasion for a very early (rather insulting) kill.
Good games.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I have sooooo much work to do as a Samus main. It's one thing to know combos and practice in the lab, it's another thing to put into practice in real matches. I'm not ready for Anther's Ladder yet, so I still play For Glory sometimes. Sometimes I win but more often than not I don't.

This is painful to watch, but: Here is a video of me against a Zero Suit Samus player who is clearly a more skilled Smash player than I am! I was utterly destroyed, it's not even funny. I only fought this guy twice, and the entire time that I'm fighting, I'm a bit at a loss of how should I approach, what should I do. Her last off-stage spike to close the set was spot-on. Two-stock loss, ouch.

I've watched Afro Smash take on a good ZSS:

so I know this is a doable MU, but I just wasn't sure what to do once it came down to my actions.

So watching the video now:

I seem to walk right into her grabs, and I should be able to avoid her u-air strings, is that right?

This ZSS seems to have a fairly standard pattern: paralyzer to grab to u-air, with a lot of aerial movement in between to avoid getting hit. I still don't know ZSS capabilities well enough that I feel like she's dancing all over me when using that down-b move. She pretty much has a lot of options when using that move, right, making it very unpredictable. Sometimes I feel like I should practice a bit with certain characters that utterly destroy me just so I can better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

I could probably have used b-air more like Afro Smash had suggested in his battles against ZSS since she's a tall target and look for more OoS Up-B opportunities.

At 1:45, I'm thinking I could have capitalized on ZSS's commitment to d-smash charge and jumped back from the ledge into CS considering I had a full charge.

Also, I still am not using SH AD like I should.

Against this particular player, what are the main things I should have focused on? Also, what are some of the main general areas I should work to improve?

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I have sooooo much work to do as a Samus main. It's one thing to know combos and practice in the lab, it's another thing to put into practice in real matches. I'm not ready for Anther's Ladder yet, so I still play For Glory sometimes. Sometimes I win but more often than not I don't.

This is painful to watch, but: Here is a video of me against a Zero Suit Samus player who is clearly a more skilled Smash player than I am! I was utterly destroyed, it's not even funny. I only fought this guy twice, and the entire time that I'm fighting, I'm a bit at a loss of how should I approach, what should I do. Her last off-stage spike to close the set was spot-on. Two-stock loss, ouch.

I've watched Afro Smash take on a good ZSS:

so I know this is a doable MU, but I just wasn't sure what to do once it came down to my actions.

So watching the video now:

I seem to walk right into her grabs, and I should be able to avoid her u-air strings, is that right?

This ZSS seems to have a fairly standard pattern: paralyzer to grab to u-air, with a lot of aerial movement in between to avoid getting hit. I still don't know ZSS capabilities well enough that I feel like she's dancing all over me when using that down-b move. She pretty much has a lot of options when using that move, right, making it very unpredictable. Sometimes I feel like I should practice a bit with certain characters that utterly destroy me just so I can better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

I could probably have used b-air more like Afro Smash had suggested in his battles against ZSS since she's a tall target and look for more OoS Up-B opportunities.

At 1:45, I'm thinking I could have capitalized on ZSS's commitment to d-smash charge and jumped back from the ledge into CS considering I had a full charge.

Also, I still am not using SH AD like I should.

Against this particular player, what are the main things I should have focused on? Also, what are some of the main general areas I should work to improve?
Yeah, ZSS is really good. The things to keep in mind are that she has really good combos, but a lot of them start from hard commitments to a paralyzer or grab, and she's super strong in mid range. Her up close game is good too because of that fast jab and good tilts. Obviously, zair is a useful tool, and dash attack works ok to break into the neutral, but I think that for a majority of the matchup, my goal is to have a charge shot ready, play really conservative in the neutral with jab1, ftilt, dtilt, and lots of spot dodges. Then I way for when they fire neutral b or miss a grab and either dash attack>uair>uair, or a straight charge shot. If ZSS retreats long range, I fully charge another cs, apply missile pressure, and wait for her to approach again.

Remember, ZSS can die pretty early so a good upboos or upb after a baited air dodge can close out stocks pretty early, as well as a charge shot near the eadge of the stage. Good luck man!

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
@ MegaRiff MegaRiff there is some pretty good stuff.

Remember that we shield grab everything but nair against DDD. If he fairs or bairs your shield, it's grab time. Even a nair that is high on shield you can grab. If not, go upb oos. Overall there were quite a few aerials on your shield you didn't punish that you could have.

Villager. This match should almost always go to time (IMO). Neither of you should want to approach. If this doesn't degenerate into you spamming homing missile and him behind a tree, one of you is being to aggressive ;) Seriously though, you were chasing villager to much and he was eating you for breakfast with slingshot. Just sit back and relax. Build up a charge shot. SHFF over lloid (which that villager generally was not chasing into you). Spam homing missile. If he pockets one, unleash a charge shot. If you used zair as much against villager as you did against DDD it also would have been nice. Several missed zair opportunities. You didn't have an opening and used attack getup a couple times, luckily you weren't punished for it. Attack getup is pretty bad.

You didn't play too bad against ganon aside from getting volcano kicked (tbh I've been hit by it too many times myself). Maybe use tether recovery a bit more. You seem to always upb back to stage.

Diddy, you just got a bit greedy there at the end with that dair. Patience. That wouldn't have killed him and it put you in a bad spot.

@ E.Lopez E.Lopez against ZSS you should be in shield much more. She has a very hard time creating good shield pressure. You'll notice that Afro is in shield quite a bit more than you in that MU and lands some good hits oos.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Okay, these were 1 week old matches, so I may look objectively worse here than in the ones that I posted yesterday, but I owed these to a friend so....

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Okay, these were 1 week old matches, so I may look objectively worse here than in the ones that I posted yesterday, but I owed these to a friend so....

Decent games. I see that you're struggling against some things that you really dont need to. On the first game, there were a ton of missed upb opportunities. On a level like that, any time samus is on a platform and a character tries to approach from underneath, unless they're really careful, you can almost always upboos. Also, zair goes through fireballs, so if he's trying to hit with fireball from mid range, shzair will connect with luigi really well. The problem for luigi against samus is that a lot of his approach options in the neutral really don't work well against samus. fireball is easily countered by cs and zair, falling nair is easily shielded and countered by upboos, and he really can't use any specials without the danger of eating a full cs. All he's really left with are grab approaches, which even if he lands, at low percents often reset to neutral, and are dangerous at high percents because if he misses the tornado, samus will upb and he can die super early. So he ends up having to fight a defensive battle, which is really not his strong suit either because he has no resources against samus to engage in a long range battle. Keep some of these things in mind, incorporate more zair, tilts, and upb, and you'll fare much better :)

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1

Luigi can also get gimped pretty easily being that his recovery is straight up. Green Missile can be stopped by the one true Missile, and his Tornado doesn't snap to the ledge. D-smash (from Samus) will kill him if he were to miss the snap and slightly peak above the ledge.

Since you know he's going to recover low, you can sometimes backward jump off the stage and go for a Z-air trump. Bombs work out incredible in this aspect because he has to recover low. And since he has to be low for his Up+B to auto-snap, it's risky to panic Up+B as soon as he gets hit by a bomb. If he were to do that, D-smash and it's over. If he lands on stage with that, charge a sweetspotted S-smash.

If you have the Slip Bomb custom on, this is a very funny MU.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

How does one gimp a Marth?

You don't, he gimps himself.

^This, right here, most perfect kill ever.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1

How does one gimp a Marth?

You don't, he gimps himself.

^This, right here, most perfect kill ever.
If you can catch Marth out of his second jump by countering with a N-air, he dies. His recovery isn't very horizontal friendly (like he can charge up a full tipper without dying), so a horinzontally-hitting move is best against his recovery. Coming at them with a N-air, he'd probably air dodge, so read for a spike sometimes.

Personally, Samus's Bombs gimp everybody, but some people require followups. Like, if you Bomb Villager's recovery, you'll want to spike. You'd want to do the same against Marth. As some people like to do on here: Bomb > U-tilt. (Gets rid of Mac every time.) ;)

When I get around to posting a few videos, my style is not meant to be copied. I just go for disrespect half the match. Makes replays look funny.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Anyone on here I can send replays to? I'd like to show off some Samus dittos me and a friend did recently.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Not that it means anything, but send me a FR and I'll get to it in about a week.
Could you PM me your ID? I'll send a request and the videos from there. I lack an HD Capture Device, so all I really need for it is for it to be recorded. I can upload the footage on my channel.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So here's 4 videos for you guys against an old friend of mine, it's really the Ness and Lucas matches that have things to point out.

Also I may or may not be around tomorrow to see criticisms until later because occupied.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Before you watch this - know this isn't a compilation video full of true combos (there are some,) but instead hard reads and/or forced situations. True combo's are good, but getting inside your opponents' head and predicting their movements will leave you on the winning side every time, and this video is meant to represent that factor and what tools I use to meta against the cast. It's my first compilation video so the video itself might be a little rough, but any feedback is appreciated.

Top Bottom