• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Didnt watch the first 5 you posted but from the Roy and villager games ill say this, you should look for fair from down throw, up Air is only guaranteed if they DI in which a good player never will unless you surprise them with pivot grab, and although the Roy got hit by it a lot f smash isn't a safe way to stuff an approach, f tilt d tilt or jab are safer and the tilts cover more space and are quicker.

Also kind of specific but if you Bair above somebody and whiff and they're just waiting in shield on the ground, its better to retreat afterwards, I could tell you were gonna throw out another as you landed and good players would be ready to punish

I saw you doing a bit of SH AD which ia good, know that you don't always have to go for an offensive option out of it though, you can jump away, bomb away or land and shield. Also more specifically to villager be careful firing the charge Shot at them off stage, since pocket gives them invulnerability frames they can use it as a pseudo airdodge and easily pluck it out of the air

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ Afro Smash Afro Smash

Thanks man! These vids are slightly older but I wanted to show anything possible. Im slowly trying to crush my old habits! I will deff try to shy away from always using offensive SHAD. Also working on adding 90% tilts.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Didnt watch the first 5 you posted but from the Roy and villager games ill say this, you should look for fair from down throw, up Air is only guaranteed if they DI in which a good player never will unless you surprise them with pivot grab, and although the Roy got hit by it a lot f smash isn't a safe way to stuff an approach, f tilt d tilt or jab are safer and the tilts cover more space and are quicker.
The up-air is guaranteed even with the target fully holding the stick away from Samus. It's just that the Samus has to do a small, difficult to execute dash first. I've tested it extensively in training mode with a real human controlling the target. In fact to land even f-air you often need the dash as well out of d-throw depending on the target and percentage (particularly higher percents where DI is a big factor). The people who screw me up the most on glory are the idiots in fact, who DI in...! (Are they idiots then?)
Sakurai just made things stupidly difficult for Samus for no good reason.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I'll confirm through my own testing that a pivot's worth of running before the jump is required for the true combo of down throw into uair, but it only works for low percents and I'm not 100% sure when it stops working.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
At about 40-50% it gets considerably more difficult and you really should switch to dash f-air, target dependant, DDD you can keep going and going...

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Some potato quality recordings of two rounds with a good villager
I really don't like this matchup

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Some potato quality recordings of two rounds with a good villager
I really don't like this matchup
Those were really fun games to watch, both because of your play and the villager's. Usually, it tends to be so campy that it was so cool to see how aggro that match-up could be.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I'm going to try posting some more of my recent FG matches, and I welcome all feedback, both good and bad. What am I doing right with Samus, what could I do better?

First up: A rolling/ spamming Duck Hunt. Not really the best Duck Hunt player to be honest, but unfortunately still a little bit challenging for me to overcome (sadly I didn't).

My own comments:

Two things I noticed right away watching this replay:
I used f-smash way too much (whiffed way too much and there were definitely better alternatives) and I didn't charge my CS most of the match. I should have definitely been using CS more, that's a huge mistake on my part.

I think when I play against a roller/ projectile spammer like this one, my natural reaction is to go aggro when really I could probably do better with some patience.

I could have b-air'ed at 1:27 instead of u-air.

I lost my first stock because spot-dodging DH's f-smash is totally not safe.

At 1:42, if I were better at knowing the combo tree and percent damage, I would have known what to follow up on the d-air (u-smash did not work since he was able to air dodge it). DH magic is 32, so since he's at 79%, he's magic + 47. I could have perhaps gone for FJ-singles.

At 1:48, I'm not sure I realized it when I was actually playing, but it was a good idea to stall my own recovery to the ledge by dropping a bomb so I could get him in my UpB. Given that DH has no hitbox on his UpB recovery, I really tried to capitalize on that, both at this instance and at 1:55 with the running off-stage b-air.

It was really unfortunate at 2:03 when I thought I had the CS on DH, that he rolled behind his gunman who shielded him from damage.

At 2:23 I f-smash again, which is not a good idea.

At 2:56 I was pretty sure I had the d-air to Up+B combo, but it didn't work out. DH was 97%, I was at 87%. DH magic is 32, so he's at magic+65. With my rage though, I need to consider +8.7, so really we're at magic+74. I should be within range of the d-air->DJ->UpB which has sweetspot at +70. Maybe I just didn't get my timing correctly there? Yeah, watching it again, I think I didn't jump soon enough, so DH had the chance to airdodge the UpB.

Overall, when I was playing I think I was just laughing at how silly DH looks rolling back and forth from one side of the stage to the other, over and over again. It's obviously not a sign of a good player, but in the end, he was the one laughing because I wasn't able to overcome such simple tactics. I lost the set to his f-smash after my whiffed d-air attempt.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529

Match I had vs a good Falcon, things I wanna show are using Tether to grab the ledge a 2nd time so people cant abuse your vulnerability (and then the cheeky stage spike) and using homing missiles and fair to frame trap off stage. Fair already lasts about as long as an airdodge, so forcing them to airdodge the homing missile a few frames earlier basically ensure they get hit by the fair. To Echo Xygonn THEY AINT USELESS @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster

Also @ leiraD leiraD I dont do it in the vid but waiting on the ledge in shield facing the stage has actually been pretty successful for me in covering options, ill try to do it more often.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Deleted. I didn't read the whole post by afro before watching the video.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64

Match I had vs a good Falcon, things I wanna show are using Tether to grab the ledge a 2nd time so people cant abuse your vulnerability (and then the cheeky stage spike) and using homing missiles and fair to frame trap off stage. Fair already lasts about as long as an airdodge, so forcing them to airdodge the homing missile a few frames earlier basically ensure they get hit by the fair
Pretty nice how at 1:37 you read his roll and killed with CS.

Wow, so I see what you're talking about at 2:48 with the tether to grab ledge a 2nd time. So the way that works is you grab the ledge with your tether, use the tether to zip to the ledge, then when you grab the ledge, you drop down and use tether to re-grab. I guess I didn't realize that doesn't count toward "no more invincibility if you re-grab the ledge."

Then, by using your get-up-the-ledge standard attack, you actually hit him out of his d-air, for a solid kill. Nice.

I just have to say how much I love when you do stuff like at 3:15. You hit him with b-air, then, with your back still facing him, you do a small back flip then quickly reverse CS as he rolls toward you. That's the kind of stuff I would love to do more.

And yeah, at 3:20, the homing missile does set up for a nice f-air off stage when they air dodge. Awesome. You have to adjust your position accordingly while you have the f-air out there.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
@ E.Lopez E.Lopez you need to work on your fundamentals a bit more. Full jump AD is nowhere near as useful as SH AD as your landing is going to be predicatble, and down-b isn't a safe approach option to use. Try to work on shorthop zair and powershielding, they're your best friends during matchups with spammy characters like DhD and Tlink. Near the end when he started spamming roll, you should have calmed down and punished the roll instead of recklessly charging in all those times.

@ Afro Smash Afro Smash nice, the zair/missile pressure was really good and I definitely want to try out that ledge invulnerability refresh. Dunno if I like the homing missile trap tho, I do try it out occasionally but most people familiar with the samus matchup don't bother airdodging them if they wont hit (like they don't 90% of the time)

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Just to be clear Zairing the ledge again after a ledge drop aerial doesnt give you invincibilty again, it just ensures your opponent cant just immediately down smash to take advantage of your lack of invulnerability. And should they come off the stage you can drop off the tether and up b to catch them

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
@ E.Lopez E.Lopez you need to work on your fundamentals a bit more. Full jump AD is nowhere near as useful as SH AD as your landing is going to be predicatble, and down-b isn't a safe approach option to use. Try to work on shorthop zair and powershielding, they're your best friends during matchups with spammy characters like DhD and Tlink. Near the end when he started spamming roll, you should have calmed down and punished the roll instead of recklessly charging in all those times.
Thanks for the feedback! Oops, yeah, you're right about SH AD > FJ AD. And yes, I see how my fundamentals need some work, for sure.

Just to be clear Zairing the ledge again after a ledge drop aerial doesnt give you invincibilty again, it just ensures your opponent cant just immediately down smash to take advantage of your lack of invulnerability. And should they come off the stage you can drop off the tether and up b to catch them
OK, now I'm confused. If it's not the invincibility that prevented Falcon from hitting you with the d-air after your 2nd tether, then what exactly is going on there to ensure 'opponent can't just immediately down smash?' That's what it looks like in the replay. Sorry, I'm not quite grasping the mechanics of this.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Thanks for the feedback! Oops, yeah, you're right about SH AD > FJ AD. And yes, I see how my fundamentals need some work, for sure.

OK, now I'm confused. If it's not the invincibility that prevented Falcon from hitting you with the d-air after your 2nd tether, then what exactly is going on there to ensure 'opponent can't just immediately down smash?' That's what it looks like in the replay. Sorry, I'm not quite grasping the mechanics of this.
You gain some invincibility at the start of the get up attack

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm going to try posting some more of my recent FG matches, and I welcome all feedback, both good and bad. What am I doing right with Samus, what could I do better?

First up: A rolling/ spamming Duck Hunt. Not really the best Duck Hunt player to be honest, but unfortunately still a little bit challenging for me to overcome (sadly I didn't).

My own comments:

Two things I noticed right away watching this replay:
I used f-smash way too much (whiffed way too much and there were definitely better alternatives) and I didn't charge my CS most of the match. I should have definitely been using CS more, that's a huge mistake on my part.

I think when I play against a roller/ projectile spammer like this one, my natural reaction is to go aggro when really I could probably do better with some patience.

I could have b-air'ed at 1:27 instead of u-air.

I lost my first stock because spot-dodging DH's f-smash is totally not safe.

At 1:42, if I were better at knowing the combo tree and percent damage, I would have known what to follow up on the d-air (u-smash did not work since he was able to air dodge it). DH magic is 32, so since he's at 79%, he's magic + 47. I could have perhaps gone for FJ-singles.

At 1:48, I'm not sure I realized it when I was actually playing, but it was a good idea to stall my own recovery to the ledge by dropping a bomb so I could get him in my UpB. Given that DH has no hitbox on his UpB recovery, I really tried to capitalize on that, both at this instance and at 1:55 with the running off-stage b-air.

It was really unfortunate at 2:03 when I thought I had the CS on DH, that he rolled behind his gunman who shielded him from damage.

At 2:23 I f-smash again, which is not a good idea.

At 2:56 I was pretty sure I had the d-air to Up+B combo, but it didn't work out. DH was 97%, I was at 87%. DH magic is 32, so he's at magic+65. With my rage though, I need to consider +8.7, so really we're at magic+74. I should be within range of the d-air->DJ->UpB which has sweetspot at +70. Maybe I just didn't get my timing correctly there? Yeah, watching it again, I think I didn't jump soon enough, so DH had the chance to airdodge the UpB.

Overall, when I was playing I think I was just laughing at how silly DH looks rolling back and forth from one side of the stage to the other, over and over again. It's obviously not a sign of a good player, but in the end, he was the one laughing because I wasn't able to overcome such simple tactics. I lost the set to his f-smash after my whiffed d-air attempt.
I'm currently playing some Samus, and my go to strat to punish rolls is to chase them down, end up behind the opponent at the end of the animation, and pivot ftilt. Pivot ftilt is a generally good mixup to use, especially when retaliating against an opponent chasing you.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice

Match I had vs a good Falcon, things I wanna show are using Tether to grab the ledge a 2nd time so people cant abuse your vulnerability (and then the cheeky stage spike) and using homing missiles and fair to frame trap off stage. Fair already lasts about as long as an airdodge, so forcing them to airdodge the homing missile a few frames earlier basically ensure they get hit by the fair. To Echo Xygonn THEY AINT USELESS @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster

Also @ leiraD leiraD I dont do it in the vid but waiting on the ledge in shield facing the stage has actually been pretty successful for me in covering options, ill try to do it more often.
I liked what you did with the homing missle to fair trap. Normally I go for homing missle to dair but it can be a little unreliable against a couple of the cast members and mis-timing it leads to weird situations where you knock your opponent on-stage whereas fair will put them back into the blast zone every time (but isn't quite as strong of a kill move.) I'm going to guess depending on how stale fair is and where offstage you do this to it's a safe kill around 70-90% regardless of how many jumps most of the cast has left. Is this accurate as far as you know/have tested?

As far as retethering goes, I have found some use in this myself, in some of my recovery options I like to try to bait out a dash attack with a up imput from the ledge straight into a bomb on the next frame, and the bomb itself covers most ledge guards from there but patient players can wait it out and try to punish after. If they run up and shield, you can actually shield break (or at least poke their shield greatly) by going back off the ledge while still in bomb mode, jumping back up and using any A move, and fast falling towards the corner of the ledge as the bomb explodes and it will auto cancel any move you used and puts you back into bomb mode, and from there you can retether and do any combination of moves (my personal favorite is to ledge drop dj uair onto the platform upb if the shield didn't break on the uair). Keep in mind that to utilize this technique you must account for when the bomb is to explode. proper execution of this technique will give you an invulnerability refresh on the ledge, but failure to properly execute it will leave you very vulnerable depending on which aerial you chose to shield poke with.

To go even further down the rabbit hole of this technique, if you're able to get frame perfect ledge jump into bomb consistently and your opponent doesn't attempt to approach it immediately, you can roll right off the corner of the ledge to regain ledge invulnerability and that catches a lot of players off-guard as they try to go for a punish (if their character even has a punish for this type of situation even if you didn't have the invulnerability.)

Now for the tether itself, I think it's common knowledge that you can only use the tether 3 times without landing somewhere on the stage before tether no longer connects. However I don't think it's common knowledge on how retether exactly works, and I'm curious if anybody here that is good at frame data could check this out, but I believe the check for retether is the same as it is for regrab at 20 frames. otherwise your tether just hits whatever and doesn't latch. Pressing up on the tether will hook you to the ledge, but pressing any attack button will give you a frame perfect getup attack and pressing jump will give you a frame perfect ledge jump.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
E.Lopez said:
Oh man, you almost had those matches! Wow, that slingshot is super annoying. I haven't faced a Villager like that myself.
leiraD said:
Those were really fun games to watch, both because of your play and the villager's. Usually, it tends to be so campy that it was so cool to see how aggro that match-up could be.
Guys, serious question here: do your really rarely/never see villagers that fight like that or are you simply offering compliments? I want to try and understand the FG matchmaking, particularly after 1.08/1.09 because I kid you not months ago I would face the "sit behind the tree" villager and I've seen nothing but aggro/crazy in recent memory.
What would you say is the fraction of players you meet on FG that:
A- know all their autocancels and abuse them
B- know all their basic combos and land them consistently
C- understand basic footsies, spacing and "safe on shield" concepts
D- will tech almost any knockdown/stage spike
Since my own Samus play has improved, and my win ratio correspondingly has shot up (circa 80%) I would say close to 90%, only 1 in 10 do not have A, B and C and many have D. My matches on FG have gone from so-so/bad to w.t.f.-are-you-serious?!
I literally had an opponent yesterday land in a Samus mirror match up-air-> crouch cancel jab1 -> f-smash at the exact percentage where it works. I'm not joking. The lag was terrible (he was from puerto rico, it didn't seem to affect him at all, kudos whoever you are irrespective). Yesterday 3 different people could instant ledge-wall jump b-air on reaction.

So what are you win ratios and how much "advanced stuff" are you seeing on FG?
Do you meet smashboards account holders all the time on FG?

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I know I have a long way to go with learning the fundamentals of Samus, but I'll just post these videos here anyway. These were at the same time I played against the Duck Hunt from my earlier post so I have not implemented any of the suggestions from @ Squaddle Squaddle just yet, but of course I plan to do so.

:4samus: vs. :4ryu:

My Samus vs. Collin's Ryu, 1 of 2
My Samus vs. Collin's Ryu, 2 of 2

Two FG matches against a Ryu. Yeah, neither of us is that good, but there were a few things I did that I thought were pretty cool for someone at my low skill level. :p

In the video '1 of 2,':

At 0:58, I was surprised I got all the hits of up-smash.
At 1:40, I was able to get a hit with reverse CS.
At 2:20, I actually got a bomb gimp.

-------------

@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster , I plan to respond to your questions but first I'm going to get my win ratios (when I get home tonight). I do know it's pretty low unfortunately, I think in the 50% range, but will confirm. I think you can see from my videos that perhaps the FG matchmaking is working correctly to match me with others of similar skill level.

Yes, it is true that I have not fought a Villager like that as far as I can remember. At least, not recently. I recall some good Villagers before, but yeah, it's rare for sure. I also went without playing Smash for some time, and only recently started playing again.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Guys, serious question here: do your really rarely/never see villagers that fight like that or are you simply offering compliments? I want to try and understand the FG matchmaking, particularly after 1.08/1.09 because I kid you not months ago I would face the "sit behind the tree" villager and I've seen nothing but aggro/crazy in recent memory.
Since my own Samus play has improved, and my win ratio correspondingly has shot up (circa 80%) I would say close to 90%, only 1 in 10 do not have A, B and C and many have D. My matches on FG have gone from so-so/bad to w.t.f.-are-you-serious?!
I literally had an opponent yesterday land in a Samus mirror match up-air-> crouch cancel jab1 -> f-smash at the exact percentage where it works. I'm not joking. The lag was terrible (he was from puerto rico, it didn't seem to affect him at all, kudos whoever you are irrespective). Yesterday 3 different people could instant ledge-wall jump b-air on reaction.

I think FG is getting better purely as a result of the game getting older. Fewer casuals playing it.

A- I'd say 75% of people
B- Almost everyone
C- 50% of people. I win far too many matches with upb OoS.
D- 75% of people. I usually just go for utilt dtilt these days because it is more likely to land than aerial combos.

My win ratio with Samus is about 80% right now.

Speaking of crouch canceled jab. You don't actually have to crouch cancel it unless you want another jab rapidly. You just have to time the smash attack input to be after the FAF and it will be a smash instead of a jab. I was labbing it vs mario on jump, just practicing jab to smash as a combo.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell

I think my current win ratio out of the past 100 games was 92% the last time I looked.

Most of the people I encounter have learned some basic throw combos and some mastery of their character's specials, but don't really leverage auto-cancels and have poor to mediocre mix-ups. 1-2 games out of 10, expect to run into a competitive level player, but I'm often disappointed.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
2500 matches WiiU Win rate 74%
2600 matches 3DS Win rate 81%

I'm going to agree with @ leiraD leiraD where peoplehave basic combos and stuff down but I don't run into to many fancy/mastery players.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Decided to make another short little montage with my stash of Potatoes.
If only the people over at /r/Smash4Replay actually fulfilled requests often, I'd been able to make this in a much better quality, oh well.

Also, Smash Con is coming up, and since I live nearby I'll be there repping Samus while trying not to drown in pools.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64

I looked up my stats. I actually have two sets of stats because I was using one profile from the time the Wii U game released to the time I changed my user name on Smashboards to create one unified identity.

1st username (time period is from Wii U game release to June 9)
Online: 236 victories with Samus
1,112 battles (1v1 FG) with 47.12% win rate (53% in the last 100 matches)

New username, E.Lopez (started this one June 9)
Online: 135 victories with Samus
353 battles (1v1 FG) with 53.82% win rate (58% in the last 100 matches)

Pretty pathetic, I know, but even though I'm not very good at Smash, I still enjoy the game a lot! And obviously, I have not put nearly enough time into the game as some of you folks have.

As for as opponents I face on FG:

A-I'm not sure I can really tell when my opponent does this, but I would guess maybe 30%?
B-Maybe like 50%
C-I would say 40-50%
D-60%

Like I mentioned before when talking about facing good Villagers, I don't run across too many opponents who know 'advanced stuff.' But when I do, oh boy, do I get bodied something fierce. Like, I can't do anything. But I usually play those kinds of opponents again just for my sake to study what they're doing.

For your last question, I have not once looked up FG opponents on Smashboards to see if they have accounts here or not.

@ RoachCake RoachCake , awesome video. Like, really... you and the other Samus mains around here, I really look up to you guys because of your skill level and the amazing stuff that can be done in the game. Keeps me motivated to keep getting better, as long and slow as that may take! :shades:

Love the music in the video, BTW. What is it?

And good luck at Smash Con! Show them what Samus is capable of!

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
3DS - 78% win record out of 5133 matches (88% last 100)
Wii U - 78% win record out of 2171 (76% last 100)

Dat consistency, I'd say I come across a great player like 1/15 matches, good players are pretty common now. Though I do have a system now where I never play somone if they don't have a unique tag (as in not Player 2) as they're the most likely to be bad and I like to use FG to train since my local scene is so small.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This was the first match I played on FG after being out of commission for some time.

I did go back to some old habits but it was worth it.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
Hey guys. It's been a while. Been focusing on more important things, but have been playing a bit these last few days. I wanted to share with you another round of losses with a good player. I get frustrated just watching these replays, but if any of you want to pitch in and give me your 2 cents, it'd be appreciated.

I noticed a few things after watching these (and a ton of others that I didn't put in this video), and one of the main things that keeps coming to mind is how he would just do an empty jump into a grab. We always wait for the attack, and then shield grab, but in this case, that was the wrong thing to do and it was very hard for me to break that habit. It wasn't until after the fact did I realize that up tilt would have been perfect for those scenarios.

The other big thing I took away from this is that he was extremely patient. It seemed like all he ever did was wait for me to do something. He would jump around and throw attacks from time to time, but nothing seemed to have the intention of doing damage, but instead, with the intention of getting a reaction from me which in turn, he could punish. So I started waiting, baiting and dancing around too, but even then, I was pretty unsuccessful. The worst part (or best part if you're him) was his ability to ledge-guard . It was amazing. It seemed like he spaced perfectly so that his attacks would hit me whether I rolled, or did a standard get up. He read me so many times I was getting so frustrated, and then angry... I would mix it up but he was reading my mind somehow I was just blown away.

Obviously without all the other replays, you may not come to the same conclusion as myself, but I'm just rambling and trying to solidify all the stuff I'm noticing. We played for maybe 3 hours total. I won maybe 2 or 3 matches. Anyways, here it is. Maybe we can all pick up a few nuggets of knowledge here and there.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. It's been a while. Been focusing on more important things, but have been playing a bit these last few days. I wanted to share with you another round of losses with a good player. I get frustrated just watching these replays, but if any of you want to pitch in and give me your 2 cents, it'd be appreciated.

I noticed a few things after watching these (and a ton of others that I didn't put in this video), and one of the main things that keeps coming to mind is how he would just do an empty jump into a grab. We always wait for the attack, and then shield grab, but in this case, that was the wrong thing to do and it was very hard for me to break that habit. It wasn't until after the fact did I realize that up tilt would have been perfect for those scenarios.

The other big thing I took away from this is that he was extremely patient. It seemed like all he ever did was wait for me to do something. He would jump around and throw attacks from time to time, but nothing seemed to have the intention of doing damage, but instead, with the intention of getting a reaction from me which in turn, he could punish. So I started waiting, baiting and dancing around too, but even then, I was pretty unsuccessful. The worst part (or best part if you're him) was his ability to ledge-guard . It was amazing. It seemed like he spaced perfectly so that his attacks would hit me whether I rolled, or did a standard get up. He read me so many times I was getting so frustrated, and then angry... I would mix it up but he was reading my mind somehow I was just blown away.

Obviously without all the other replays, you may not come to the same conclusion as myself, but I'm just rambling and trying to solidify all the stuff I'm noticing. We played for maybe 3 hours total. I won maybe 2 or 3 matches. Anyways, here it is. Maybe we can all pick up a few nuggets of knowledge here and there.
I played that exact guy today. He was crazy good, only fought his Marth (best one I've seen) and his Shulk. We played a while and I could only win a few games as well. Guy had perfect use of walking, he never overcommitted, and could really land his tippers.
As for empty jumps, if someone is still landing too close you can up b oos before he even touches the ground, and if he's lamding one character away short hop oos to help you either space yourself or launch an offensive aerial.
I usually wall people out with tilts and aerials, but this guy was impossible to keep out. He was always on top of me and punished every bad decision I made. I had a horrible time while on the edge. Zair helped get things started, but I overly abused dash attack which always got me punished really bad with up smash oos or up b. He jumped a lot so it was risky to get the grab, and since he didn't land reckless attacks I had a hard time punishing. Interrupting his aerials movements with aerials of my own worked well, fair and nair caught him by surprise. Still, I had too much trouble getting ko's compared to him. Which was the biggest problem.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
First game on 'stream' from the London tourney last month, 2 more to come when i can get round to uploading em vs a fox and Luigi. All critique welcome

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
First game on 'stream' from the London tourney last month, 2 more to come when i can get round to uploading em vs a fox and Luigi. All critique welcome
Dang that ending to game two was awesome. How'd you do the aerial b reverse? I've always wondered. I think you could've pummeled more though, and when they DI away from dthrow you can usually get a rar bair. But really good matches

Last edited:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Oh man that f-smash hitbox made me angry at 3:03.
How do you feel about the Pit match in general?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Yeah got me mad at the time, and it happens in the set vs Luigi too.

Id say match up is either even or slightly in our favour, charge Shot beat arrows and hes not really fast enough to get through zair easily, his dash attack is pretty great with the distance it covered but I got clipped by it more often than I should have. Then offstage his recovery is pretty exploitable, and finally we both juggle each other quite well. He has orbitars as well but those are easy to punish with grabs

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
A batch of five matches for y'all. First two are against a friend's Greninja(I sucked hard imo, I barely know how to do this, though there is a winning match), and the next three are from a different friend, 2 Marth matches and one Pac-Man. Those last three matches were taken from a pool of fourteen; my friend only secured one win on Delfino(included here). As a fun fact, I actually three stocked his Pac-Man in one match(not included). Response?

lol.PNG

Teehee.

Truly felt like an offensive beast against the second guy during my 11 game win streak. Had Dark Samus' theme on repeat the whole time after the 3 stock match.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
My games vs fox, again all critique is welcome but I feel like my mistakes in this are pretty obvious, and LOL at the end of game 2 ;)

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Those are really nice matches @ Afro Smash Afro Smash against a good opponent, there's not a lot of room to criticise!
Really nice aerial combo game, great up-B out of shield, respect inducing edgeguards, shield breaks, the works.
Everyone has their own style ultimately, in any sort of fighting, one prize fighter is known for his left hook, the other for his uppercut, so really I only have style comments.
Your opponent was growing a bit wise to your up-B OOS kill preference I feel, aiming for a power shield -> f-smash might be good for mixup when he dashes in (or even straight up f-smash, kara f-smash).
If you fail to get the power shield on fox I find he doesn't really get much, a dash or a grab from him is basically never going to kill.
I would personally throw out more up-tilt at mid percents and more SH d-air, n-air, pivot f-tilt at higher percents because they lead to combos/tech chases in those ranges.
Entertaining to watch!

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
My games vs fox, again all critique is welcome but I feel like my mistakes in this are pretty obvious, and LOL at the end of game 2 ;)

Really nice stuff. Great use and at times nearly abuse of upb OoS.

My only critique is to work on your input for ledge release fairs. They should be stage canceled.

Marm'

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeoslown
coming up with some nice stuffs, featuring one of the greatest lucina player in my country :)

Critisicms are of course welcome :D

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7

I've noticed FG has gotten a lot harder recently too. I think it's because all of the noobs have either gotten better or gone or to other games (Splatoon).

Or players from melee/brawl have started sm4sh with all of the new characters.

Top Bottom