• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samurai Goroh for SSBB

:034:

Smash Hero
Poor Goroh fans. Must feel like a slap in the face for you guys. *pat pat*

At least this will raise the sales for the Action Replay.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
If we look back on Melee, we can see that most characters had another character from their franchise in the game.
Link had Zelda and Ganondorf.
Marth had Roy.
Mario had Bowser, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Yoshi, Peach, and DK.
Fox had Falco.
Etc, etc.

In Brawl, I think that they might put that into action again. (Having two or more characters from a franchise available.)
If they would add a character to Brawl from F-Zero, besides for Falcon, my guess is that they'd add Black Shadow. Most likely not Deathborn.

I also think, however, that F-Zero wasn't a game that influenced the gaming world. They seem to have two or more characters for games that have an influence, and just a main character for games that do not.
For example, F-Zero had Falcon. It did not influence the gaming industry.
The Legend of Zelda had Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. It did influence the gaming industry, and continues to today.

Still. Even with all of the explaining I did above... that still leaves it at a 50/50 chance for another F-Zero character to be added to the game. T . T

the grim lizard

Smash Master
II also think, however, that F-Zero wasn't a game that influenced the gaming world. They seem to have two or more characters for games that have an influence, and just a main character for games that do not.
For example, F-Zero had Falcon. It did not influence the gaming industry.
The Legend of Zelda had Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. It did influence the gaming industry, and continues to today.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. What exactly is a game that "influences the gaming industry"?? F-Zero was in IGN's top 100 games of all time. but, I'm not entirely sure how a racing game of any kind can be that influential anyway...Even Mario Kart really wasn't that "influential." It was fun, you can be sure.

F-Zero was an amazing game, how realistic the speeds felt, the controls...one of the best racing games around. It does fall under the shadow of the greater Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda, but it still is up there. I mean, Captain Falcon was in the original smash for a reason. If you rank every Nintendo franchise there is, F-Zero has gotta be in the top 10. The fact that he has been around so long alone grants him the right to another character.

If we're going to play this game of important series and all that...we may as well put 15 mario characters in and 1 or 2 from every other series...I don't like that. F-Zero deserves additional rep if for no other reason than the fact that he's been around so long...

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Mario Kart not influential?? Are you mental?? Its probably one of the biggest and most recognizable racing franchise EVER.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Mario Kart not influential?? Are you mental?? Its probably one of the biggest and most recognizable racing franchise EVER.
I know that, but that has nothing to do with being "influential." That is, unless your definition of "influential" is "most people recognize it."

That's why I asked for defining terms because with what I consider influential to be...Mario Kart didn't really affect future games. Sure it was awesome, but it didn't change the gaming industry, like games such as Super Mario Bros., Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario 64. It affected future Mario Kart games, sure, but not other games.

For an example of what I mean: Z-targetting in OoT far affected games beyond just LoZ...just look at the Prime series. Look at lots of other games that implemented the same sort of system. It is really unfair to a racing game to say it wasn't influential because they don't really have an opportunity for that. That's what I was saying.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Err DKR is different than Mario Kart. In Diddy Kong Racing there is actually AI, instead of Mario Kart 64 where it was just blah. And plus some Boss Battles, better stages, better racing, better character models and everything.

Also Jak-X is kind of...like Mario Kart except faster.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Thanks for all the huge images but that didn't change anything. So other companies copied Nintendo's successful formula. Big deal. Like that hasn't happened before, but...I asked what he meant by "influential." Just the fact that five third party companies copied the MK formula doesn't mean it changed the gaming industry.

Besides, you guys are entirely taking the wrong way what I said. I just was pointing out how what Hallowed Storm said was unreasonable. Don't take me for a MK hater. I love the series. That was not my point, and clearly you guys have entirely missed the point that I've been emphasizing over and over. I just think that F-Zero deserves another playable character.

You can continue the MK spam if you really wish, but I feel it is unnecessary.

Edit: oh, and thanks for taking my words out of context, tirkaro.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Most likely, whether we see more F-Zero characters probably depends a lot more on future plans for the series than how long and popular it once was. If Nintendo is going to let F-Zero fade away, the chances of seeing a new character from the series are quite minuscule. On the other hand, if Nintendo is planning an F-Zero for the wii, adding a new character from the series is very likely. Don't forget that besides being a great game in and of itself, Smash is one of the best marketing tools ever invented. You can probably credit about 1/3 of Fire emblem sales in the US to SSBM.

burrito

Smash Lord
Mario Kart definitely had a huge influence on the game industry. It started a series of mascot party games. In fact, without Mario Kart, we may not even have Smash Bros.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
You might be onto something. On Sakurai's "poll", the characater was totally absent - meaning that he didn't respond to anyone who suggested the character. Instead, we see Black Shadow...

And now, Sakurai goes out of his way to say "In your collective faces! This update is all about how 'Goro' ISN'T in Brawl! Eat it Goroh fans!"

Okay maybe not, but that's what I would do for Sheik...

Anyway, alas poor Goroh. We barely knew thee.
Huh? I read it as "Those characters that really didn't have a shot? Well, now we've got an item that gives them a moment in the spotlight!" and "Okay, Goroh isn't playable, but hey! At least he's in the game, right?"

I... I thought Sakurai meant what he said, I.E. the statues are for the diehard fans that really wanted these characters to make an appearance.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I can play this game...

I also think, however, that F-Zero wasn't a game that influenced the gaming world. ... F-Zero had Falcon. It did not influence the gaming industry.
Not influential, eh??

This is what I was saying, you missed my point. He said F-Zero wasn't influential, and I said (according to his reasoning) that Mario Kart wasn't either...there it is.

I don't know about you, but if F-Zero wasn't influential, the creations of Wipe-out and Extreme-G were awfully coincidental.
yep ^_^

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Even Hydro Thunder had the same 'taste' as F-Zero (except you were on water). Actually, funny as it is, Hydro Thunder was F-Zero with a bit of Waverace thrown in. Jet Moto was Waverace with a bit of F-Zero thrown in.

EDIT: Also, I think the part of Mario Kart that was the most revolutionary (and is continually seen in racers to this date) is the COMBAT. Pick up items and screw over your fellow racers as you fly past them with a feather. That stuff is what really made Mario Kart the beginning of something great.

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
I HATE IT! I saw Goroh on my Live Bookmark and I was like "FINALLY!" I open it, and he's a fricken NPC. Just great. -.-""""""""'

Sakurai Spelled Goroh wrong.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Even Hydro Thunder had the same 'taste' as F-Zero (except you were on water). Actually, funny as it is, Hydro Thunder was F-Zero with a bit of Waverace thrown in. Jet Moto was Waverace with a bit of F-Zero thrown in.

EDIT: Also, I think the part of Mario Kart that was the most revolutionary (and is continually seen in racers to this date) is the COMBAT. Pick up items and screw over your fellow racers as you fly past them with a feather. That stuff is what really made Mario Kart the beginning of something great.
That's true. I could also add games on there like Need for Speed and Beetle Adventure Racing. F-Zero was so early, it could basically have impacted every game of that type. I was meaning to be sarcastic or at least...tongue in cheek when I was talking about each games' influence, but people just couldn't pick up on it...

Anyway, yeah that is definitely the best part of MK. Actually, I think I played the VS balloons mode more than I played the racing modes...

Crom

Smash Journeyman
You guys are right, any game that involves going fast is because of F-Zero.

I like F-Zero and I want more if it's characters in brawl, but I'm sorry, going really fast in a vehicle isen't some unique crazy concept that no none would have been able to think up without F-zero. I'm sure we would still have all of those games even if F-Zero was never made.

Also, I think Kirby Allstars had alot more influence on the creation of Smash than Mario Kart, seeing as the gameplay in those 2 games is almost identical.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
This just proves it....

Antonio Guster for Brawl.
Nah...you know they're putting Silver Neelsen in.

You guys are right, any game that involves going fast is because of F-Zero.

I like F-Zero and I want more if it's characters in brawl, but I'm sorry, going really fast in a vehicle isen't some unique crazy concept that no none would have been able to think up without F-zero. I'm sure we would still have all of those games even if F-Zero was never made.
I doubt that (at least for most of the ones in my list). If you've ever played them, they're like identical to F-Zero in so many ways...especially FZX and FZGX. Most racing games, yes, but futuristic racing...we can attribute most of that to FZ, just as much as we can attribute cartoon get-togethers involving items and go karts to MK.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the huge images but that didn't change anything. So other companies copied Nintendo's successful formula. Big deal. Like that hasn't happened before, but...I asked what he meant by "influential." Just the fact that five third party companies copied the MK formula doesn't mean it changed the gaming industry.

Besides, you guys are entirely taking the wrong way what I said. I just was pointing out how what Hallowed Storm said was unreasonable. Don't take me for a MK hater. I love the series. That was not my point, and clearly you guys have entirely missed the point that I've been emphasizing over and over. I just think that F-Zero deserves another playable character.

You can continue the MK spam if you really wish, but I feel it is unnecessary.

Edit: oh, and thanks for taking my words out of context, tirkaro.

You missed the point. Mario Kart started the iconic character kart racing genre.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Despite all the evidence, people still arent getting over the fact the Goroh is NOT in the game, F-Zero is a major part of gaming history, and that C. Falcon does more than enough to represent the franchise.

Stryks

Smash Hero
No I mean, When he appears, we already know he attacks with a katana, but why not shoulder blocks, body slams and stuff like that, and make him less predictable...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yes, this was something I was wondering about...how will the ATs play? Will they have just one move like the Pokemon or will they be more like the wireframes? Obviously they can run around and jump and attack, but is it all with the same move, or do they have a variety? Obviously, we don't know, but it would be interesting if they had a least a condensed A-moveset.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I think ATs will be more advanced. Well, those like Goroh anyway. He'll probably have AI and be able to slash stuff and so. It would be really humiliating for an intelligent human character to aimlessly run around slashing until he falls off the arena. =/

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think ATs will be more advanced. Well, those like Goroh anyway. He'll probably have AI and be able to slash stuff and so. It would be really humiliating for an intelligent human character to aimlessly run around slashing until he falls off the arena. =/
Actually...that would be pretty hilarious.

But I agree that they should have a better AI.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what you mean by that. What exactly is a game that "influences the gaming industry"?? F-Zero was in IGN's top 100 games of all time. but, I'm not entirely sure how a racing game of any kind can be that influential anyway...Even Mario Kart really wasn't that "influential." It was fun, you can be sure.

F-Zero was an amazing game, how realistic the speeds felt, the controls...one of the best racing games around. It does fall under the shadow of the greater Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda, but it still is up there. I mean, Captain Falcon was in the original smash for a reason. If you rank every Nintendo franchise there is, F-Zero has gotta be in the top 10. The fact that he has been around so long alone grants him the right to another character.
True. I do see your point. Thanks for pointing that out- a racing game can't have a very big influence.
I am an F-Zero fan myself. I've only played F-Zero GX, but it's great. The speed is perfect, the controls are like breathing once you get used to them, and you continue to improve every time you race.
Now that I think about it, GX had a lot to it. The story mode had several unique courses and designs. It took me a pretty long time to master that game to the point where I could beat staff ghosts, and the whole story mode.
Customization of cars was excellent. There were many parts you could unlock, and there were so many combinations... it was very precise. That was a great part of the game.

I take back what I said earlier about F-Zero not being an influential game. It was in-depth, with high speeds and great controls. It deserves a rank in the top ten Nintendo games.
Maybe what I was trying to say was that F-Zero is not like Zelda, Mario, or Star Fox. Many people don't know very much about F-Zero.

If I think about it, it really seems like there SHOULD be an F-Zero character besides for Falcon in Brawl.

Top Bottom