• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samurai Goroh for SSBB

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
meh... its just that i saw this japanese comercial for a new fzero game and in it 2 people were dressed up as c falcon and black shadow and they were playin together. i didnt see goroh in the comercial.

edit: found it
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kpOJxVs-xzI
yaa you only see gorohs ship at the start, yet you see black shadow alot. makes you think...

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Black shadow is weak. Goroh has a much larger fanbase, has been around since the original, and shadow is too far fetched of a character. Nobody wants to think evil magic and goofy skin tight black suits, besides he's just a cohort to deathborn anyway, Goroh is oldschool, Sakurai prefers oldschool, Goroh has a larger fanbase, Goroh is the ORIGINAL enemy of Falcon; the Jessie and James to Ash, the Ganon to Link, the Bowser to Mario. Shadow is the equivilant of Wart, or Majoras Mask posessed skull kid.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Goroh is the classic in the F zero series, I actually tough he was gonna be in melee, but no, then I saw the melee opening video, kinda like hinting hat goroh will be in the next Smash...

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Goroh (or black shadow if that fits better) should have ganondorfs old moveset and style. that way, the maker of shash can make ganondorf how he origonally wanted to.
ganondorf only had CF's movelist because the creater ran out of time.

this way none of the pervious ganon users lose their style, and you get a big badass with a sword and magic

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Goroh (or dark shadow if that fits better) should have ganondorfs old moveset and style. that way, the maker of shash can make ganondorf how he origonally wanted to.
ganondorf only had CF's movelist because the creater ran out of time.

this way none of the pervious ganon users lose their style, and you get a big badass with a sword and magic
umm no? Why in the hell would we want Goroh to be a clone of a cloned character? That makes about as much sense as "Tumble for Brawl".

Stryks

Smash Hero
lol haha, and hell no there wont be clones in brawl, besides the guy has a katana, I pictue him havin a samurai-like fightin style... lol pretty obvious...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
What's with the nude Ness in your sig ZC?
But yeah, getting cloned from a clone is just ridiculous (even moreso than Tumble in Brawl...), especially considering he HAS a sword - it would be madness not to incorporate it.

And I wouldn't rule out the possibility of clones in Brawl Stryks...

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
no, Sakurai just said he was going to cut back on the clones, not get rid of them.

and ya, your right, it would be just as stupid to give goroh all melee moves as it would be to give ganondorf all melee moves, i dont think ive ever seen ganondorf use his fists in a zelda game.

so it would make much more since to put in black shadow as a replacement.
and if i had to guss they will revamp ganon, and in order to satisfy the old hardcore ganon fans, he would give a big f-zero character ganons old moveset so nobody loses a good charcter.

thus black shadow comes in, and since Sakurai said he was going to cut down on clones, either goroh comes in as a completely unique character, or not at all.

do you think they would be willing to put two F-zero villains in?

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
no, Sakurai just said he was going to cut back on the clones, not get rid of them.

and ya, your right, it would be just as stupid to give goroh all melee moves as it would be to give ganondorf all melee moves, i dont think ive ever seen ganondorf use his fists in a zelda game.

so it would make much more since to put in black shadow as a replacement.
and if i had to guss they will revamp ganon, and in order to satisfy the old hardcore ganon fans, he would give a big f-zero character ganons old moveset so nobody loses a good charcter.

thus black shadow comes in, and since Sakurai said he was going to cut down on clones, either goroh comes in as a completely unique character, or not at all.

do you think they would be willing to put two F-zero villains in?
I personally think Goroh has priority over Shadow, but if they were to add both I think Shadow would be the less detailed of the two, e.g Cloned or Luigified.

Hitokiri Battousai

Smash Rookie
I had started a thread about samurai characters in Brawl and I now think Takamaru and Goroh should be in the game. ^^ Personally though, I think that Goroh wouldn't be entirely base don using his katana. Considering his size (albeit he is able to preform double backflips - read Wikipedia) he should use that to his advantage. If I could compare him to another character from another franchise... I think of Siegfriend and/or Knightmare from the SC series. He should have one of those abnormally large japanese swords like a zanbato from Kenshin.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
Goroh is practically in the game. Not only is F-Zero under repped but he is one of the original four racers along with Falcon, Pico and Dr. Stewart. Not to mention he is the rival of the franchise's main character.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I never thought it would happen, but me and Numa agree in something, If ANY new Fzero character will be added its Goroh...

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Goroh would be cool as long as he isn't in the God-tier because Capt.Falcon was amazingly powerful. Maybe because Cpt. Falcons games are all played in his ship not with him so they probally thought up the moveset instead of making it from moves throughout the characters games. I mean Captain Falcon is muscular so they made him resemble that trait. Goroh is too so I hope he will not be like Falcon and kick everyones @$$ in my opinion. But Goroh is a way better choice of any F-Zero character to be Falcons rival, well cause mainly he IS Captain Falcons rival.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Doubt Gorh and Falcon will be similair, I mean goroh has a katana, he would be a powerful in hand to hand attacks, slow-speed, and fast attacks with his katana...

Fawriel

Smash Master
I would celebrate if Samurai Goroh was in Brawl... and replaced Captain Falcon.
Alas, the latter is not gonna happen.
But Goroh is still pretty cool, I guess.
Air guitar!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I would celebrate if Samurai Goroh was in Brawl... and replaced Captain Falcon.
Alas, the latter is not gonna happen.
But Goroh is still pretty cool, I guess.
Air guitar!
Captain Falcon rocks every other character's socks off...

As for Goroh, though...No to the sword. There are already too many swordsman in Brawl (assuming Ganondorf gets his as well). I see him more as a Wario-type character (not a clone). Although large, Goroh is quite agile. He could have a unique moveset or something similar to the Captains but not in the sense of a clone. Maybe he could use the Katana once or twice, but not as the main attack (more like the importance of the blasters to Fox and Falco).

I'd elect Goroh for a "Luigified clone" of Falcon's. Maybe later I'll come up with some moves to show what I mean.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
As for Goroh, though...No to the sword. There are already too many swordsman in Brawl (assuming Ganondorf gets his as well). I see him more as a Wario-type character (not a clone). Although large, Goroh is quite agile. He could have a unique moveset or something similar to the Captains but not in the sense of a clone. Maybe he could use the Katana once or twice, but not as the main attack (more like the importance of the blasters to Fox and Falco).
No to the sword? WTF?!?!?!
Goroh would be incredibly unique as a heavyweight swordfighter. And I doubt they'll have Ganondorf use his sword.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
No to the sword? WTF?!?!?!
Goroh would be incredibly unique as a heavyweight swordfighter. And I doubt they'll have Ganondorf use his sword.
OK, I brainstormed some moves to kind of give you an idea of what I mean. And, for all of you sword lovers out there, I threw it in here and there. I picture him like slightly slower, much stronger version of captain falcon, with martial arts/street fighting (not Street Fighter)-like melee attacks, sword attacks, and energy attacks. I guess...a lot like Ganondorf, only with his sword.

Imagine his melee attacks being accompanied by smoke/fire/electricity, like Falcon or Dorf. I dunno why but I picture Goroh with lightish blue flames/smoke...

Type: Weight - high, Speed - average to high (he's supposed to be fast despite his size), Jump - low to average, Recovery - low to average

A moves:
A and AA like Falcons. AAA is a katina slash instead of a knee (no rapid punch)

Dash A - similar to Falcon's

Tilts:
Side - knee (looks like Falcon's but less devastating)
Up - a quicker version of Ganondorf's leg charge
Down - leg swipe (ninja-like...like you're trying to trip someone)

Smashes:
Side - like Ganondorf's flaming elbow
Up - a huge uppercut punch (like doc's but can be charged and it's bigger)
Down - similar to Dorf's/Falcon's but different effects

Aerials:
Neutral - stiff leg or double kick or...???
Forward - Katina slash (similar to Marth's fAir and Kirby's ^B)
Backward - similar to Falcon's, but uses his elbow
Up - rising fist/punch
Down - elbow slam downward (almost like a body slam position)

B-moves:
Neutral - mix between Falcon's B and Marth's B (it charges up and it's part sword, part energy attack)
Side - flame thrower (something similar to Ryu's fire attack)
Up - something between Ganondorf's and Mario's...either that or a somersault attack
Down - similar to Ganondorf's, different effects

Throws:
Forward - fist punch/forward toss
Back - toss over shoulder and kick with foot
Up - toss upward with two hands
Down - body slam/pile driver

Let me know if that makes sense and what you think.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
Sorry but that moveset just doesn't fit Goroh. I think Goroh's moveset will be something more like this.

A attacks

A- punch
AA-punch punch
AAA- punch punch haymaker

Dash attack- Running slash

Strong attacks

Side A- Punch with the hilt of his katana
Up A- flip kick
Down A- Low kick

Smash attacks

Side A- Performs two powerful horizontal sword slashes
Down A- Sword swipe to enemies legs
Up A- Spins his sword in the air above him a few times

Air attacks

Neutral air- Flip kick
Back air- Backwards sword slash
Foward air- Foward sword slash
Down air-Downward sword slash
Up air- Upwards sword slash

Grab attacks

A- Knee

Foward throw- Backhands the opponent foward
Back throw- Spins around and effortlessly tosses the opponent away
Down throw- Suplex
Up throw- Tosses the opponent upward

B attacks

B- ultimate slash- This move is taken from the episode in the F-Zero anime in which Goroh cuts a vehicle coming straight towards him in half. Goroh gets into a stance where his hand is on the hilt of his katana. Goroh will stay in that position until B is released and will then perform a powerful slash attack that will do major damage to anyone directly in front of him. The power of the move does not increase or decrease no matter how long B is held.

Side B- Samurai rage- Goroh charges foward a short distance and if he comes into contact with anything he will perform a short three hit combo with his sword.

Up B- Samurai jump- Jumps upward with his sword in a similar fashion to Marth and Roy (he will hold it differently though) and if he hits someone with the upward slash he will stop in front of them and perform a foward slash to send them flying away from him which will allow him to use the move again.

Down B- Iron will- Goroh will tense his body and anyone who hits him while he is like this will be hurt with the recoil and all damage is halved. To force Goroh out of this state you have to grab him.

Super smash- Samurai speed- Rushes foward and delivers a devastating sword combo at insane speed to whoever he makes contact with.

Taunt- crosses his arms over his chest and says "steal but never kill".

Victory pose 1-Sits in a meditative position
Victory pose 2- Sheaths his sword after an impressive looking combo
victory pose 3- Shows off his stamina by doing several impressive backflips

Tell me what you think about this one. I especially want comments on the B moves, the Down B in particular.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Sorry but that moveset just doesn't fit Goroh. I think Goroh's moveset will be something more like this.
What the heck is that supposed to mean? We've never seen him in gameplay outside of his vehicle. All of his moves would be entirely made up (like Falcon's). I tried to make a moveset that was a little like Falcon's, but a little different, too. And, I really really really REALLY don't want just another swordsman (almost all of your moves are sword attacks). If he uses it occasionally, fine. But it shouldn't be his primary attack.

Falcon had a street fighting style with some crazy flame moves, too. Goroh should be somewhat similar to that, and maybe have some "energy" like attacks, but not much beyond what Ganondorf did. And again, occasional sword attacks at most, otherwise...overboard. (Trust me, he's not getting in unless he is mostly a non-sword user. We already have Link, some other form of link likely, probably Ganondorf, Meta Knight, any from Fire Emblem, plus...who knows?)

But honestly, I don't get how you can say it doesn't fit Goroh when the entire moveset has no references at all (other than: he owns a sword).

Also: most of your attacks are very very generic. (e.g., punch, low kick, forward sword slash, up sword slash, etc.)

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
What the heck is that supposed to mean? We've never seen him in gameplay outside of his vehicle. All of his moves would be entirely made up (like Falcon's). I tried to make a moveset that was a little like Falcon's, but a little different, too. And, I really really really REALLY don't want just another swordsman (almost all of your moves are sword attacks). If he uses it occasionally, fine. But it shouldn't be his primary attack.

Falcon had a street fighting style with some crazy flame moves, too. Goroh should be somewhat similar to that, and maybe have some "energy" like attacks, but not much beyond what Ganondorf did. And again, occasional sword attacks at most, otherwise...overboard. (Trust me, he's not getting in unless he is mostly a non-sword user. We already have Link, some other form of link likely, probably Ganondorf, Meta Knight, any from Fire Emblem, plus...who knows?)

But honestly, I don't get how you can say it doesn't fit Goroh when the entire moveset has no references at all (other than: he owns a sword).

Also: most of your attacks are very very generic. (e.g., punch, low kick, forward sword slash, up sword slash, etc.)
What I meant by it doesn't fit him is that what we've seen of his personality suggests that his moveset would be more subtle than the flashy Falcon's. In both the games and the anime he has been seen as a more calm and collected person (unless he is with Falcon who he hates to the extent that his personality changes to an overconfident jerk) Also I just do not understand why people think there are too many sword users. Do you guys really think that Sakurai and the other game makers care about something so trivial as what weapon a character uses? Even if they did his style is completely different from the likes of Link and Meta. About the generic parts of my moveset, I know. Whenever I make a moveset I picture what the attack will look like in my mind but when I actually type it out it comes out as sounding generic. I need to learn how to explain my attacks better :(.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
What I meant by it doesn't fit him is that what we've seen of his personality suggests that his moveset would be more subtle than the flashy Falcon's. In both the games and the anime he has been seen as a more calm and collected person (unless he is with Falcon who he hates to the extent that his personality changes to an overconfident jerk) Also I just do not understand why people think there are too many sword users. Do you guys really think that Sakurai and the other game makers care about something so trivial as what weapon a character uses? Even if they did his style is completely different from the likes of Link and Meta. About the generic parts of my moveset, I know. Whenever I make a moveset I picture what the attack will look like in my mind but when I actually type it out it comes out as sounding generic. I need to learn how to explain my attacks better :(.
I care. I really don't want 10 sword wielders. I really don't want more than 5, actually. There's no variety then. That's why I said he could use it for a couple attacks but not his entire moveset.

In LoZ, Link uses a sword. All of his attacks are sword-based. Now, he also collects a number of items, too. He can also attack with these. This was incorporated in Link's moves, but almost all of his non-B attacks are sword-related.

ALL of Marth's and Roy's attacks used their swords (other than their grabs/throws). I'd have to say that these were two of the most boring characters to play, IMO. But nevertheless, they fill the rolls of purely sword users.

Kirby's entire moveset is composed/based off of attacks from his games. I'm sure Meta Knight will be the same way. (He was playable in Nightmare in Dreamland.)

Goroh doesn't have a game to base off of, so we have to go by his character. He's kind of martial arts-ish, and also a little street fight (as we can just tell by his interactions with Falcon and just how the characters are in that game). Even a true samurai wielding a swording wouldn't solely use it: He'd throw in hand attacks, leg attacks, etc. I know you did this a little bit, but I think he'd do it more.

I'm open to suggestions with my moveset, but I think he will be a lot closer to Ganondorf's style (in Melee) than Marth's. I think there will be some energy-type attacks because I'm trying to anticipate the unexpected. No one expected Falcon's moves that he had. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

(I really think a sort of charge-up attack using both energy and a sword would be cool for Goroh's B-move, though...)

Neiteio

Smash Cadet
A attacks

A- punch
AA-punch punch
AAA- punch punch haymaker

Strong attacks

Side A- Punch with the hilt of his katana
Up A- flip kick
Down A- Low kick

Smash attacks

Side A- Performs two powerful horizontal sword slashes
Down A- Sword swipe to enemies legs
Up A- Spins his sword in the air above him a few times

Air attacks

Neutral air- Flip kick
Back air- Backwards sword slash
Foward air- Foward sword slash
Down air-Downward sword slash
Up air- Upwards sword slash

Grab attacks

A- Knee

Foward throw- Backhands the opponent foward
Back throw- Spins around and effortlessly tosses the opponent away
Down throw- Suplex
Up throw- Tosses the opponent upward

B attacks

B- ultimate slash- This move is taken from the episode in the F-Zero anime in which Goroh cuts a vehicle coming straight towards him in half. Goroh gets into a stance where his hand is on the hilt of his katana. Goroh will stay in that position until B is released and will then perform a powerful slash attack that will do major damage to anyone directly in front of him. The power of the move does not increase or decrease no matter how long B is held.

Side B- Samurai rage- Goroh charges foward a short distance and if he comes into contact with anything he will perform a short three hit combo with his sword.

Up B- Samurai jump- Jumps upward with his sword in a similar fashion to Marth and Roy (he will hold it differently though) and if he hits someone with the upward slash he will stop in front of them and perform a foward slash to send them flying away from him which will allow him to use the move again.

Down B- Iron will- Goroh will tense his body and anyone who hits him while he is like this will be hurt with the recoil and all damage is halved. To force Goroh out of this state you have to grab him.

Super smash- Samurai speed- Rushes foward and delivers a devastating sword combo at insane speed to whoever he makes contact with.

Taunt- crosses his arms over his chest and says "steal but never kill".

Victory pose 1-Sits in a meditative position
Victory pose 2- Sheaths his sword after an impressive looking combo
victory pose 3- Shows off his stamina by doing several impressive backflips
These moves are awesome. Especially the Down B move, "Iron Will." Very creative, very strategic, and fitting for a zen-like warrior.

There's an elegant simplicity here that's missing from most movesets. These moves would work well in a fast game like Brawl, and would look flashy to boot. I like how you drew upon his appearance in the anime for inspiration, too.

One question about the Samurai Jump, though. So he jumps up like Marth and Roy (holding the sword differently, as you said), but then stops in front of an airborne foe like Falcon's Up B, and knocks them back by thrusting his katana forward. Is this correct?

By the way, I agree there are too many sword users, but Samurai Goroh's an exception since he uses a katana (or samurai sword), which looks unique and handles differently and would set him apart from the fighting style of other sword users.

And if I could add one suggestion, maybe it'd be cool to have his sword-based B moves engulfed in hot pink flames, to go along with the Fire Stingray theme?

- Neiteio

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
I care. I really don't want 10 sword wielders. I really don't want more than 5, actually. There's no variety then. That's why I said he could use it for a couple attacks but not his entire moveset.
Just because you don't want him too doesn't mean he won't use the sword for most of his attacks.

Goroh doesn't have a game to base off of, so we have to go by his character. He's kind of martial arts-ish, and also a little street fight (as we can just tell by his interactions with Falcon and just how the characters are in that game). Even a true samurai wielding a swording wouldn't solely use it: He'd throw in hand attacks, leg attacks, etc. I know you did this a little bit, but I think he'd do it more.
Goroh's moveset could easily be taken from the F-Zero anime (The B attack in my moveset was taken from here) in the anime he was seen as a calm subtle character who used his sword more than his fists (He even used his sword to cut up a bunch of thugs clothes to make them run away) which is why I think that he would use his sword the most in his moveset with several punches and kicks thrown in.

I'm open to suggestions with my moveset, but I think he will be a lot closer to Ganondorf's style (in Melee) than Marth's. I think there will be some energy-type attacks because I'm trying to anticipate the unexpected. No one expected Falcon's moves that he had. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

(I really think a sort of charge-up attack using both energy and a sword would be cool for Goroh's B-move, though...)
Well I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here. You suspect him to be the new Ganondorf while I expect him to be based off of the anime.

I'm glad you liked my moveset Neiteio. About the up B he would slash them on the way up first and then stop in front of them and slash them foward. That is a good idea to have it colored to match the fire stingray.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Just because you don't want him too doesn't mean he won't use the sword for most of his attacks.
I could say the same to you. "Just because you want him to use a sword for most of his attacks doesn't mean he will." That doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm trying to be realistic. Sakurai likes variety. That's why he's adding odd/interesting characters because he finds them interesting, and they could provide something new.

Prediction: Samurai Goroh won't use a sword for most of his attacks (if at all).

Well I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here. You suspect him to be the new Ganondorf while I expect him to be based off of the anime.
Not necessarily. He could take a little from the anime and a little from whatever. It's not all or nothing; we can have it both ways. (But, just IMHO...I'm willing to guess that most things in this game will NOT be based off of anime.)

And, I didn't say I wanted him to be like Ganondorf, but I was accepting it as a possibility. I was trying to "Luigify" it a little so there was some more differences and something that would be his own style. I was trying to compromise allowing the sword as some attacks because I'm pretty darn sure he won't be using it for all of them.

Fawriel

Smash Master
You deserve some of my respect, Numa Dude. Good moveset.
On the other hand, I liked the grim lizard's, too. Both of them have some nice parts, but I feel that lizard's was based far too much on Captain Falcon.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
I could say the same to you. "Just because you want him to use a sword for most of his attacks doesn't mean he will." That doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm trying to be realistic. Sakurai likes variety. That's why he's adding odd/interesting characters because he finds them interesting, and they could provide something new.

Prediction: Samurai Goroh won't use a sword for most of his attacks (if at all).
I understand how you would think that but IMO because he uses a Samurai sword makes him different enough from the other sword users. I guess in the end this is just our opinions on what his moveset would be like.

Not necessarily. He could take a little from the anime and a little from whatever. It's not all or nothing; we can have it both ways. (But, just IMHO...I'm willing to guess that most things in this game will NOT be based off of anime.)

And, I didn't say I wanted him to be like Ganondorf, but I was accepting it as a possibility. I was trying to "Luigify" it a little so there was some more differences and something that would be his own style. I was trying to compromise allowing the sword as some attacks because I'm pretty darn sure he won't be using it for all of them.
Well it seems to me that we both have completely different opinions on this matter.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Let me ask you this: In the anime, did Captain Falcon run around at 150mph, kneeing people in the face and sending them into oblivion?

CrzyFalcon989

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon rocks every other character's socks off...

I'd elect Goroh for a "Luigified clone" of Falcon's. Maybe later I'll come up with some moves to show what I mean.

I agree Captain Falcon is a GREAT character well to me atleast :laugh:
But Goroh would be an AWSOME character, but I would like him as a Swordsman!
But I can see where you are going with a Wario like character, lol they're both fat :laugh:
But again I'm a Falcon user, so I do not want him replaced but I want to see more F-Zero chacters, I really don't mind which character as long as it isn't the old guy or some complete *** character!

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
I've always thought Goroh was the worst thing to happen to the F-Zero series, he looks stupid and doesn't in any way have a compelling story, /shrug. If they were going to add him, or anyone else from F-Zero, you can't predict the moveset at all, just look at falcon, was anything in his moveset from the F-Zero games at all?

Top Bottom