• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Primes a New Stage: Frigate Orpheon Revealed

Machspeed

Smash Lord
This actually looks like a Metroid stage that won't make me angry. (Hated the Planet Zebes melee stage)

Must be chaotic while everyones falling, sounds fun. :)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Almost all the stages seem to have things that don't normally happen. Since when did Delfino Plaza have a floating platform that magically went to all parts of the area at random? What about Pokemon Stadium? There was no stadium that actually transformed like that in the games. Also Norfair's lava never was at the level that it is in the stage. =/

Machspeed

Smash Lord
It's a fighting game.

It wouldn't be too fun to just fight in a generic background with no kind of risks or chances. All of the stage threats adds to the overall entertainment factor of the game.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
SO FINAL DESTINATION ISN'T FUN? SCRUB!
Well, I just play Final Destination when I want to play competitive matches.

If your just screwing around with your friend to have some fun, picking a stage with stage threats is your best bet.

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
That stage looks cool but it dosent actually look like the actual game at all. i like 180° rotation because i could get a cheep KO with my best character.

BTW if it rotates, wont that mean that if you up smash somebody, the guy getting hit will hit the celling and fall back down? That would frustrate me. And i wonder how the gravity works like if in mid rotation, if you meteor smash someone, would they fall downword or to the side?

burrito

Smash Lord
What I mean is that it is totally out of the blue. There are plenty of better hazards they could have had for a stage like this, and other stages that could flip.

As for the pleaides, it makes sense to have something to carry you around besides the Great Fox, since the Great Fox is actually extremely huge. Plus, it's not extremely out of context to have a ship flying around in the Lylat system.

As for the platforms in Delfino Plaza, they are a bit weird, but it's essential for moving around. The whole stage is supposed to capture the feeling of taking a relaxing tour through the vacation atmosphere.

As for the stadium transforming in Pokemon Stadium, I believe there were stadiums that did so in the anime. Anyhow, it represents the different types of pokemon.

The Nerd said:
Actually, if I remember, it did flip in the game. You return to it after you get the Gravity Suit, and it's underwater, flipped, with pieces of rubble everywhere. You have to restore power to doors to get through, and it's kind of dark.
Errrr.... yeah, I remember that. That's a bit too much of a stretch, though.

I still find it pretty ridiculous, I love that we get prime representation, but I wish that the level better captured the personality of the stage.

courte

Smash Lord
anyone wondered if star ko's would be hindered?? i'd imagine that when the stage flips the blast lines for the top would change as well, explaining the high ceiling. But what if like venom hitting th ceiling is like hitting a wall and you simply fall back down??

burrito

Smash Lord
TheNerd: Yes, but will it fill with water in the game? Maybe the flip is to represent it being affected by Tallon IV's gravity, during its fall.
Oh yeah, maybe the flip is supposed to sort of represent the ship as it topples through space. That's kind of coll, I guess. It helps get the feeling that the ship is breaking down. With metroid prime music playing in the background, I could imagine this stage actually being quite epic.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I really like that they gave Metroid Prime so recognition. They are such great games, why the Japanese fans hate them, I'll never know.

I hope this gives a bigger chance for Ridley or Dark Samus. We need a good Metroid villain.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I don't, actually. My point from the beginning was that you're not making it clear whether you mean Brinstar or Brinstar Depths.
Okay, if you really care so much as to what I'm saying, it's the stage where the monster claws the side after he rises out of the lava.

If you need any more clarifications on any other posts I post, or just my life in general, please don't hesitate to ask.

[/sarcasm]

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
When they started making this game did they take into consideration that the games they were representing are all from the early 2000's?

(Good level. I can't wait to see how it works.)
Right, like Xananab trophy from that new Donkey Kong game, Silver the Hedhehog sticker from Sonic 06 and all those Diamond and Pearl pokeball pokemon we've seen.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
If a Prime stage is in, then there's a chance for Dark Samus (Samus's dark costume was PHAZON!) in Brawl.

KidArtist

Smash Cadet
I really like that they gave Metroid Prime so recognition. They are such great games, why the Japanese fans hate them, I'll never know.

I hope this gives a bigger chance for Ridley or Dark Samus. We need a good Metroid villain.
I know, it's good to know that Metriod is getting some recognition in the game. I'm also glad to see that the stage is from Corruption... perhaps Samus may get her P.E.D. Suit after all.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
annoyed that a stage from metroid prime 3 was not made imo that was the best 1. mixed feelings about this stage. Stages that arn't tourney legal don't thrill me, but this could be a counter pick stage mayb thats a possibility

courte

Smash Lord
as i said before and no one thought about

does anyone think the second platform will acts as a barrier for vertical ko's, knocking them back down, or would the blast line be before the platform, explaining the high ceiling

Athos

Smash Cadet
I'm really curious to see how fast the thing turns. If it goes really fast maybe you could just do like a short hop and be able to land on other side. It's probably a bit slower than that though, but I don't see any reason to ban it at this point. I mean, we still haven't even played the game; we don't know what we should or shouldn't ban yet.

This was a better update than everything we got last week combined. Keep it up Sakurai!

Draquoir

Smash Cadet
Meh brinstar depths with a less memorable boss :p

Personally I like this stage I think we need at least one more metroid stage.

D

Deleted member

Hey, that's a great idea! Why not have the place fill up with water and rubble towards the end of the matches, as the frigate plows into Tallon IV's ocean?

Zindura

Smash Cadet
I'm a little confused about there being platforms that you stand on.... and another set above them.

Will the platforms above be solid? Will vertical KOs be impossible on this stage?

Regardless of this potential problem, I really like this stage. I personally loved Brinstar and Brinstar Depths, and this looks a bit more simple and elegant.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of a power-outage with the neon platforms, lighting effects on the stages is a nice touch Melee lacked. The platform switch is handled relatively well, not the most amazing innovation but mildly fun. Fine looking stage.

Top Bottom