• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Primes a New Stage: Frigate Orpheon Revealed

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I don't know if I like this stage as much as Brinstar depths, but it is a very unique one to say the least. Like someone else mentioned, we finally have a stage without lava. However, I would have preferred another stage from the Prime series, but oh well. Gotta be happy with what we get.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
annoyed that a stage from metroid prime 3 was not made imo that was the best 1. mixed feelings about this stage. Stages that arn't tourney legal don't thrill me, but this could be a counter pick stage mayb thats a possibility
It flips in the same way every time and there's a loud warning before the flip.

We don't know if it'll be tournament legal or not yet. But from the little we know about it, there's no reason it wouldn't be.

TheLongestShizzle

Smash Rookie
What I mean is that it is totally out of the blue. There are plenty of better hazards they could have had for a stage like this, and other stages that could flip.

As for the pleaides, it makes sense to have something to carry you around besides the Great Fox, since the Great Fox is actually extremely huge. Plus, it's not extremely out of context to have a ship flying around in the Lylat system.
So I guess four random videogame characters fighting on the outside of a ship in space isnt completely out of context :laugh:

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Curious how Normair got designed.

"Hey, remember those lava stages we always do with Metroid?"
"Sure."
"...More lava."
"Umm...like, it comes up more often?"
"No, ten times more lava."
"Isn't that a bit much?"
"More lava equals more fun."
"Sir, we could just have a nice stage where..."
"MORE LAVA, OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!"

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
This, to me, hints for Ridley.

Why?

Well, didn't Sakurai say something about stages fitting in with characters more?
Samus = Frigate Orpheon
Ridley = Norfair (with the awesome Ridley boss battle music)

But, that's my 2 cents.
actually both are Ridley's domain :p
Meta-Ridley was held/built on the frigate, effectivly that is Ridley's rebirth zone.

Odd stage for Metroid Prime, especially with 4 games under its belt, they chose a level from the first 15 minutes of the game, and not even in the actual look of it. Seriously, without the queen in the back, it wouldn't even come close to looking like the area where you fight her. That area has like a red glow, and isn't that dark :x

smash_kid

Smash Cadet
Odd stage for Metroid Prime, especially with 4 games under its belt, they chose a level from the first 15 minutes of the game, and not even in the actual look of it. Seriously, without the queen in the back, it wouldn't even come close to looking like the area where you fight her. That area has like a red glow, and isn't that dark :x
Good point about the darkness; that's the first thing I noticed. There's definitely a more red tint to the Queen battle room. However, the flipping 180 degrees is pretty **** cool. I'm not surprised they used a stage from the first Prime game at all; they've been lazy with the updates, why not be lazy with game creation? (kidding XD)

But in all seriousness, it would have been way cooler to use something even just from Echoes. Although I'm a firm believer in not complaining about an update if it's not "Options". At least we GOT a stage today. I won't be surprised if this is the best update this week.

The lights going out is cool? I'm not sure about this. Won't it be as if everyone had picked up the Invisible item from Melee? How can we fight in the dark?!

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
After reading wat sakurai wrote again this will definetly be tourney legal

Also there will be another metroid stage that much i can guarenteeeeeeeee

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I really like this stage its something new and it is good to have a Metriod stage that dose not have to deal with lava

TMS

Smash Journeyman
I personally wish the Prime stage was Impact Crater or Phendrana drifts, but all in all I'm happy with this stage and glad Brawl is getting some Prime support.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Finally, a Metroid stage without lava! Amazing stage the colors look amazing, my favorite stage thus far.

Actually, if I remember, it did flip in the game. You return to it after you get the Gravity Suit, and it's underwater, flipped, with pieces of rubble everywhere. You have to restore power to doors to get through, and it's kind of dark.
It didn't flip when it crashed. It was a little tilted at some parts, but still the same.

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
Wow.. Brinstar Depths got a makeover. Im happy that its a lot less complicated than that lame stage, but are lava and flipping stages all the Metroid series has to offer? Ugh, makes me not even want that game represented in the game. Not really but these Metroid stages aren't nearly as good as they could be.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
It's the first area Samus explores in the entire Metroid Prime trilogy. I would call it just as significant as any location on Tallon IV, except the Artifact Temple.
I was going by how significant places were to the experience, not the storyline :p

You ask someone when they just beat Prime 1, what are the 3 most epic locations, I bet less than 10% say Frigate Orpheon for any of them. Phendrana is just too cool, Tallon Overworld is the hub and connector to the Artifact Temple (which itself is rather boring), the Impact Crater is much more visually interesting, and the Phazon Mines are, without question, where the action is.

Chari

Smash Apprentice
This stage is pretty cool. I wonder how many more metroid stages will we get? lolz I think this one was the last one...maybe...

Um... The only difference is that the statues have been destroyed. Which would make it even more boring.
But giant statues that shoot lasers from their eyes? That wouldn't be boring for a Brawl stage. And while people might like exciting stages, that doesn't mean every one will be exciting. Look at Smashville. Sometimes a change of pace is nice.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
But giant statues that shoot lasers from their eyes? That wouldn't be boring for a Brawl stage. And while people might like exciting stages, that doesn't mean every one will be exciting. Look at Smashville. Sometimes a change of pace is nice.
That's because Smashville fits the AC theme. The Metroid theme is either derelict space stations (And Frigate Orpheon does not give the feel of a space station, no windows into space, no control panels, etc), wild parts of a planet, dead parts of a planet, or in the Prime series' case, a Phazon-filled area.

Top Bottom