• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Primes a New Stage: Frigate Orpheon Revealed

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
I loved the Orpheon when I first fired up Prime. The debris floating in the airlocks, the fire and carnage in the escape pod room, the desperate battle between the last Space Pirate holdouts and the monster they created...and of course the Parasite Queen, dangling over the reactor and screaming. Easily the most atmospheric training area ever to exist. I love the fact that it was chosen for a stage, though I never would have guessed it.

There's extra graphical detail in the background, it's just obscured by the darkness. But it seems like that gets randomly lit. The reactor panels around the Queen also likely rotate. This looks like it's going to be a very busy stage when seen in motion. I can't wait.

I found a video of the Parasite Queen battle and subsequent escape from the ship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZ2WA8hsV0

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Well this is the first update that has pleasantly surprised me lately, and due to increasing cynicism on my part that's becoming increasingly hard to do. So, good then! Frigate Orpheon is sort of a best of both worlds for me. I kind of wanted Ceres Station because I didnt think Prime would get any love, but here it is, and it accomplishes the same purpose. That purpose being: A space station that Samus inadvertently causes to meet its untimely end.
Space Stations Destroyed: 3
Planets Destroyed: 3
Go Samus!

Edit: And I agree Mr M., it would be quite nice to hear the Parasite Queen Battle music, I like how freaky it sounds.

Then again, Onett didnt get its home music in Melee. We'll just have to see...

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Another hazardous stage... well, not too bad for a Meteroid stage. Otherwise, it looks good.

krynny

Smash Cadet
with another metroid stage, and samus having been in all 3 smash bros, could we expect a 2nd char from the series in this installment? i hope so.

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behavior of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in space, and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.- Life, the Universe, and Everything

Great stage!!! The music is a little odd though... This stage will be one of my favorites! I didn't particularly like Brinstar because of the lava/acid that kept popping up and frying/melting me and absolutely despised Brinstar Depths because either my enemies or my ally would get stuck below when the rock chunk flipped and I would either have to a) jump down and trap myself just to fight or b) battle both of my enemies alone as I watched my ally fruitlessly attempt to jump back up to the battle.:chuckle:

secretcode

Smash Cadet
NNID
Secretcod
3DS FC
2337-3743-8226
Well, Krynny, DK has been in all 3 Smash games and is just now getting a second character in his sub-franchise. A second (or third, if you think ZSS is a second character per se) character for Metroid would seem pretty likely, especially now with this second stage revealed. My hopes for that are that the character would either be Ridley or Dark Samus/Metroid Prime.

As for the stage, this has to be one of the better updates in a long while, and it's great to see a Metroid stage with no lava/magma/going-to-make-look-like-Darth-Vader goo. The music is horrendous, but luckily we have the choice now of changing what music is played.

At least it wasn't the DK rap...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not a major Metroid fan, but I absolutly love this stage! :D It's things like the 180 degree rotation that really shows me why I want this game so much. Some people don't understand the rotation idea so....

Look at 4th picture on frigate update, you can see the stages from the 1st and 5th pics switching around. I imagine they will turn in a clockwise direction. Like a loop.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I was hoping for phendrana drifts, but this is okay too... as long as we have the phendrana drifts music as an alternate music.

EROY

Smash Rookie
This stage is defenitly worth playing on, but something does trouble me...How often does it spin? ~20 seconds? ~30 seconds? It may only spin three/four times in a match and pose little reason.

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
The question is, do you know where you are? HMMM?
Yay! It's a good week so far.

I never played any Metroid game but this shows that the Prime series has representation.

I like the song. Although it's not my favorite, it's still nice. I haven't played Mother 3 yet though.

Okay, so I don't know how to edit and quote, and Flyinfilipino asked "What if you're deaf and can't hear the siren?"

Most likely there will be a visual cue as well, like a flashing hazard sign or something, to make it also obvious for those who can hear. I'm serious, some people who have normal hearing won't register the siren into their brain.

I wish we could see the stage in action.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
Power flickering.... not seeing if anything's going on in the background..... I haven't played Prime, but..... can that bug in the back break out...?

=S

KIRBY HELP ME! XD

Ferret

Smash Cadet
Power flickering.... not seeing if anything's going on in the background..... I haven't played Prime, but..... can that bug in the back break out...?

=S

KIRBY HELP ME! XD
As far as I can remember it can't, but in the game it spit something at you. I wonder if it will do that on the stage too....I hope not

The Parasite Queen isn't contained to begin with. It can move freely in and out of that force field. It's just Samus that can't pass through it (well, her weapons).

D

Deleted member

Shame its not Tallon Overworld, I loved that music.

Alas, Sakurai only played through the first ten minutes of Prime, then got bored. The frigate is the result lol.

cccck

Smash Journeyman
I think this stage very well could be non-banned. I mean if we have that one stage with pokemon flying around (I... I can't remember the name) it seems like this is not even worse. they give us fair warning when it's going to turn, and all you have to do is be in the air. sounds good to me.

Great stage!

regorris

Smash Apprentice
As far as I can remember it can't, but in the game it spit something at you. I wonder if it will do that on the stage too....I hope not
Kraid fired a lot of ordinance in the Metriod games, but he launched nothing at the screen in Brinstar depths. I hope they repeat that wisdom. :)

On a related note, I hope they have a stage with no edges to grab--like the Mario stage in Smash64--but not if totally messes up the grapple-recover characters. :ohwell:

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The stage update was decent at best in my opinion. A stage that rotates 180 degrees is not something that has happened before until now. Looks like a neutral stage to me.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
This looks like such an awesome stage....
And im very glad to see Prime getting some representation, although i would chose some more memorable places from prime to put in Brawl

burrito

Smash Lord
Why the hell does the stage flip, anyway? It never did anything like that in the game.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
Alas, Sakurai only played through the first ten minutes of Prime, then got bored. The frigate is the result lol.
Sigworthy.

Why the hell does the stage flip, anyway? It never did anything like that in the game.
I don't ****ing know... The computer system controlling the frigate's gravity mechanics was glitching out...

T-major

Smash Champion
cool stage! do you think that the Parisite Queen will FIRE HUR LAZOR at people? it would be cool, but I think they would have mentioned it in the update if that happened...

on a side note...

PORKY'S THEME!!!!!!!

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if I remember, it did flip in the game. You return to it after you get the Gravity Suit, and it's underwater, flipped, with pieces of rubble everywhere. You have to restore power to doors to get through, and it's kind of dark.

Top Bottom