• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai knows what he is doing

D

Deleted member

I have no worries about the gameplay of Brawl.
The small fighting scenes in the clips has shown that there are just a few betterings that arent going to interrupt the good old gameplay.
The only thing that worries me is that there isnt an option to make items away during friend matches.

In my opinion the SSB series are just going to that were they should go

also sorry for my bad english im German :)

Kittah4

Smash Ace
As for all those people getting riled up over the Dojo site, I suggest you relax. Sakurai has only shown us part of the game. And I doubt he is going to expose everything ahead of time. There are unlockables for a reason. They are meant to be surprises. However, long before the American launch Im sure everything will have been revealed online from the Japanese version which comes out 17 days ahead of time. If anything Sakurai may include an extra feature/ character for the American version to justify the delay. Its all speculation at the moment but you have to admit things look great from what has already been shown.

I take the most issue with this paragraph. People are frustrated with the updates as of late because of the lack of characters. That's really all. Nothing in the game really is as important as knowing what characters will be playable and how they will play. We're four updates away from an entire month without a character, unprecedented in updates so far.

This drought could have been planned better. I would have put it near the beginning of the updates, rather than now, because they're really nearly over.

And your second to last sentence is just wrong wrong wrong. This is a Japanese company making a game. Remember FF7? America got some exclusive content there. Then it was rereleased in Japan with even more extras. Both Kingdom Hearts as well. Did those hit America or anywhere else? No. Because really, Square takes care of their own.

Nintendo is a bit better about this, remember how we might not have gotten Marth and Roy at all? But there they are. If we're LUCKY we'll have ALL the functionality the Japanese version will have.

Imagine if you were making a game in your home country and asked to give it MORE content than your native land's version. Laughable.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Sakurai isn't god, and he isn't the only one making this game.
Quit complaining about the lack of "techs" which were glitches. Find me proof that wavedashing isn't a glitch that happens to abuse the physics of the game and you win a prize.

Also, here's an idea, if you don't like Brawl, then, *gasp* don't play it! =O Its not that hard.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
You suck in this game so give up and die. You will also suck in Brawl.

I wanted to see my feedback I got.

And so I shall...

Heres the TRUTH about melee. You see, melee is a game like no other. Wether people relize this or not there is NO OTHER GAME LIKE MELEE.

What makes melee souch a good game is if your walking down the street and you walk up to any person between the ages of 5-21 and ask "have yo played melee", 9 times outta 10 they will say, "yeh that games awesome." But not just the fact that everyone has played it but also, another fact is everyone thinks THEY DONT SUCK. Walk up to the same people and ask them 'how good are you?" and I guarantee you get:
A)Decent
B)Im pretty good
or
C)Im, the best
And because everyone thinks they dont suck, YOU get more pride in killing them just because you can if-not-limited to wave-dash and l-cancel.

Going along with that, another reason you like this game is because even if you showed somone how to l-cancel and wavedash, on average it takes 6 months to get decent at it... TIME AND EFFORT. And by the time the person you taught is able to kinda get it down, your working on something else(I.E sweetspotting, unpredictiality, NOT BEING A NOOB). And It just keeps going and going which brings me on to my next statement...

THIS GAME NEVER ENDS. Cause untill brawl drops your little friends and jimmy down the street will never be able to even dream of touching you in this game... You cant master everything in this game and so people will keep getting better untill it ends...I.E BRAWL.

So to sum it all up incase you skipped reading!!!:

The Reason People want Advanced Tactics in Brawl, or The Reason People want Brawl just like Melee is because Melee wasn't a game any joe off the street could pick up and be good in. It tooks months upon years to even place in tournements, time and effort, the will to keep going, the passion to fall and get back up, the desire to WANT TO LEARN more. And for the creators of this game to make it so any joe could catch up (or so we think) in little to no time to us "advanced players"(I.E I OWN), is a spit in the face. I know what your thinking, its like "all that hard work for nothing"...

Well all I can say to that is... Have hope.

#1)
a)Everyone couldn't own in SSB

b)Even more couldn't own is SSBM

c)And Even though theres online, I doubt too many more will be able to pick up this game and own in Brawl. ***You have to remember people get better by better practicing, just because you got online and were 4 stocked wont make you better especially cause you dont even understand what happened.

#2)
I OWN.
i choose a. because im decent.:chuckle:

and i agree with you because it kind of sucks for all the people who took the time to learn all the hard stuff (me not being one of them). i believe all the people who have experience with smash 64 and melee (me, played since i was 8) will probably own in brawl or be very well ahead of all the average joes.

and on a happy note i'll be closer to beating all the advanced players since i won't have to learn all that hard stuff in brawl at first (new stuff will come up).

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
and on a happy note i'll be closer to beating all the advanced players since i won't have to learn all that hard stuff in brawl at first (new stuff will come up).
Lets all just have fun... I mean how do you think I feel, Im very very technical in melee.... and it seems like they dulled that part down....

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Quit complaining about the lack of "techs" which were glitches. Find me proof that wavedashing isn't a glitch that happens to abuse the physics of the game and you win a prize.

Also, here's an idea, if you don't like Brawl, then, *gasp* don't play it! =O Its not that hard.

That had nothing to do with what he was saying. Way to put words in his mouth.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lets all just have fun... I mean how do you think I feel, Im very very technical in melee.... and it seems like they dulled that part down....

I don't see how anyone can say with any amount of certainty that the technicalities of the next smash will be less or more than that of Melee.

How long did it take us to find wavedashing? A couple hours at a game booth at a convention? How long to bring l-canceling to the level its used at? Power shielding? Double Jump Canceling? I ask you: How long did it take us to invent the Marth killer?

Time and Time alone will reveal the depth and technicalities of a game.

I'm seriously tired of all this "They dumbed down the game for sure" ****.

People see a lack of speed in stock gameplay an assume a lack of depth. Lunacy!

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
No Sakurai is not a god. S'why I've been saying Sakurai and his team because they're just as important as him. Without them Sakurai would never ever finish this game. At least not to the awesome level that it is at right now.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
I don't see how anyone can say with any amount of certainty that the technicalities of the next smash will be less or more than that of Melee.

How long did it take us to find wavedashing? A couple hours at a game booth at a convention? How long to bring l-canceling to the level its used at? Power shielding? Double Jump Canceling? I ask you: How long did it take us to invent the Marth killer?

Time and Time alone will reveal the depth and technicalities of a game.

I'm seriously tired of all this "They dumbed down the game for sure" ****.

People see a lack of speed in stock gameplay an assume a lack of depth. Lunacy!

I just find it hard to believe a slower game can be more technical...but mabey thats just me. Also, I didnt no they played smash in LA. Live and learn.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
We haven't had enough time with the game (just a few hours at most for some) to discover techniques, so I think discussion on that should be postponed until release.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just find it hard to believe a slower game can be more technical...but mabey thats just me. Also, I didnt no they played smash in LA. Live and learn.
At the very least you should consider the 2 paramount things in any fighting game, space and time. Most technical feats require precision in one or both of these. If one of these is subject to deemphasis guess what the other is.

EDIT: and you know what you may be right, but that, just like everything else in this place is speculation. My real point is that you may be cheating yourself and others around you out of a good fighting game on the count of empty speculation.

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman

Not play brawl, unthinkable.

"Wow. I hate to say it, but we really have thought of everything." ~ Sakurai

He's got this.
Agreed.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Assuming the Smash community has the programming knowledge, patience, and time to create each wireframe and the AI to do things right. yes, we could. but leave it to the experts, they know what they're doing.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
HOLD IT!

The witness said she opened the right side of the car. She also mentioned that she was driving a British car. So, she must have opened the DRIVER'S door! Which means she was the one driving!

-Cookie who can figure out which case this is from/

Back on Topic: I think it is possible to have a game that is both casual and competitive. We don't have to choose.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
"Find me proof that wavedashing isn't a glitch that happens to abuse the physics of the game and you win a prize."

Why don't you find proof that it is a glitch? Think about it rationally, if only for a moment. The sliding motion of wavedashing/wavelanding is the way the game was programmed to handle you hitting a top button near the ground/platform. Do you really believe that at no point during testing did anyone hit L or R near the ground? That the game itself magically decided to make the sliding and smoke happen?

The most you could say is that it's an exploit, which I suppose is what you were attempting to get at with "abuse". Maybe they didn't intend for it to be used as a substitute for running, but hey, that's emergent gameplay for you. At the same time, being an exploit doesn't make something a glitch, and the wavedashing mechanic is available to every character and player.

In spite of all that, I can't necessarily agree with the people saying "the community would make a better Brawl." While I would definitely like a Melee 2.0 in addition to Brawl, the idea that some nebulous group of people, most of whom only have experience playing games, not making them, would get balance "right" the first time is kind of silly. If that were the case, the tier list would never change, because we'd know all about every character's potential from the beginning.

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman
Wave dashing may not have been a glitch, but just because he took it out doesn't mean he doesn't care about competitive players. He took out WDing because it's not the way he wanted the game to be played or how he wanted WDing to be used. He probably thought it was just a cool special effect.

Zink

Smash Champion
wding made a lot possible. it also sped up the game considerably.
without it, there is more of an emphasis on individual character balance, because nobody will be able to overcome low mobility.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Please no. Let's nip this bud right here so it doesn't turn into a WD debate, K?

It's gone. Stop talking about it. Or if you do, talk about it in the Melee forum. Thanks.

Anyways, it's good to see some more support for Sakurai. He's working hard to make this game epicdary, (epic-legendary) so give the guy some credit. Trust me, you won't be dissapointed.

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman
Please no. Let's nip this bud right here so it doesn't turn into a WD debate, K?

It's gone. Stop talking about it. Or if you do, talk about it in the Melee forum. Thanks.

Anyways, it's good to see some more support for Sakurai. He's working hard to make this game epicdary, (epic-legendary) so give the guy some credit. Trust me, you won't be dissapointed.
No, we won't be dissapointed. People are just stupid and fear change. I like WDing but won't miss is. We'll all find some way to cope.

And I take it as a compliment Feifer.

dtams

Smash Cadet
The updates have been lacking because they are supposed to. Tis the season on Galaxy and right now all the hype has to be on present Nintendo titles. I would give it another 1-2 weeks before more earth shattering news comes out...like Megaman, and RYU. I to believe the delay is for testing and adding to the game. By the way Galaxy in NA is over 1 million in 2 weeks.

Top Bottom