• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai knows what he is doing

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Why does everyone think competitives won't play the game if it lacks WDing?

Here's the thing: We'll probably play it, but we will want to participate in tournaments or trained like we did with melee? No.

I'm sick of people saying "don't like it don't play it" or the ever popular, but stupid "Brawl is a different game, it should play different". HELLO! Brawl is a sequel! It's SUPPOSED to bare resemblance to it's predecessors. If you want different gameplay why don't YOU play a different game? Oh wait, you probably can't because Wii has a nice stream of awful kiddy crap and last gens PS2 ports that everyone forgot about [RE4, I'm looking at you].

We KNOW Brawl will be good! That is not the question we want answered, we want to know if Brawl is good enough to be played seriously/competitively like Melee and SSB64 were.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
If you are doubting Brawl will have a competitive following, then you're naive IMO. And if you think that one thing will decide whether it is or not, again, naive.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So now I can't have doubts? Well excuse me for NOT trusting the lamest company out of the 3 giants. I have a tendency to NOT want to get riled up for stuff that might suck *cough*online*cough*.

No expectations, no disappointments.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Lamest company out of the 3 giants? lolwut?

And you were doubting that the game would be played competitively which was what I called naive. As for a game to not be played competitively it either would have to be insanely imbalanced, suck so hard no one would want to replay it, or just not be a competitive game.

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
yes i totally agree. this game will be great- and the more time they spend on it- the better it will be.

way to go, sakurai and team!

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
i agree aswell remember if you really think that SSBB won't be competitive then there will always be melee.
Then theres the point that IF we had the same team as sakurai and money,technology we could make a better game. Do you really think if you had all that you would be able to make the game your way without the team quiting because of the pointless ideas people would come with,or do you think you would actually understand how to MAKE a game(and no this is not to those people who are working to become game designers).

Then theres the points of shipping the games to the areas with most smashers and undertanding sale charts and all that stuff.

After all that the only thing that would be left would be a group of angry kids that dont get there way.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Brawl will **** everything and eat your children, but in response to what that guy said a few posts ago, Nintendo does have a tendency to mess up a few things. Brawl online should be good, but you know because of Nintendo, it's FCs and super ultra mega anti-pedophile protection makes things a lot mroe difficult, than say XBL.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
i agree aswell remember if you really think that SSBB won't be competitive then there will always be melee.
Then theres the point that IF we had the same team as sakurai and money,technology we could make a better game. Do you really think if you had all that you would be able to make the game your way without the team quiting because of the pointless ideas people would come with,or do you think you would actually understand how to MAKE a game(and no this is not to those people who are working to become game designers).

Then theres the points of shipping the games to the areas with most smashers and undertanding sale charts and all that stuff.

After all that the only thing that would be left would be a group of angry kids that dont get there way.
Yes, exactly. Also, think about it this way......if it wasn't even for them making this genius game, we wouldn't even know what the hell Super Smash Brothers was! We'd all just be sitting around playing Halo like a bunch of ***s or something. xD

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman
Yes, exactly. Also, think about it this way......if it wasn't even for them making this genius game, we wouldn't even know what the hell Super Smash Brothers was! We'd all just be sitting around playing Halo like a bunch of ***s or something. xD
Exactly. Anyone thinking they could make a better smash bros game than the person who designed it is just stupid. Sakurai made smash, he will always make smash, and he will make it better than anyone else who would want to make it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This is Sakurai's last smash, every smash after this will be made by someone else, it'll probably be based off Brawl but with new characters, items, maybe modes and stages.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It was on the old dojo, he made a blog talking about how someone from Nintendo begged him to develop Brawl so he decided to do it even though I originally planned to move on from smash. Maybe if someone still has that page saved they could post it but I don't have so I don't really have any hard evidence.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I like how when anyone brings up the possibility that Brawl might have shallow gameplay and thusly a lame competitive scene they get blasted in the face. It's nice to see such variety of opinions!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Becuase some competitives are not playing Brawl for that reason

Here's the thing: We'll probably play it, but we will want to participate in tournaments or trained like we did with melee? No.
What's wrong with relearning the game if it's not too different from the originals? You still have the advantages of recovering, knowing (with a few exceptions) veterans movesets for the most part

I'm sick of people saying "don't like it don't play it" or the ever popular, but stupid "Brawl is a different game, it should play different". HELLO! Brawl is a sequel! It's SUPPOSED to bare resemblance to it's predecessors. If you want different gameplay why don't YOU play a different game? Oh wait, you probably can't because Wii has a nice stream of awful kiddy crap and last gens PS2 ports that everyone forgot about [RE4, I'm looking at you].
And Brawl still does bare resemblence of Melee and 64. Play as Nintendo characters and relying on ring outs to win the game.

We KNOW Brawl will be good! That is not the question we want answered, we want to know if Brawl is good enough to be played seriously/competitively like Melee and SSB64 were.
Well if SSB64 is played seriously, why can't Brawl? It's obviously faster than the 64 version.

I like how when anyone brings up the possibility that Brawl might have shallow gameplay and thusly a lame competitive scene they get blasted in the face. It's nice to see such variety of opinions!
In the end, the Smash Bros series has shallow gameplay anyway. Would anyone even like Smash 64 if it didn't feature the Nintendo characters?

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman

Why should they play a different game? The game is being made more their our liking than yours. It has different gameplay so wouldn't the ones who don't like it (ie, ppl who won't play it cuz of the lack of WDing), they should be the ones playing a different game.

RE4 was originally on the cube. sure, the extra content was from the PS2, but the PS2 version was ported on the Cube, so it's essentially a cube port. Sorry to be picky on small , details. Oh, and SSBB is part of the so-called "kiddy crap" to a certain exrtent.

Not A Naruto Wannabe

Smash Apprentice
I cant decide if Sakurai is a nutcase or if he does know what he is doing...

The commercial was hilarious. I always miss the commercials for the best games =p

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Becuase some competitives are not playing Brawl for that reason
I don't recall any people saying they were not going to play Brawl. Even Dylan said he is going to play Brawl. The only person I can think of would be M2K.

What's wrong with relearning the game if it's not too different from the originals? You still have the advantages of recovering, knowing (with a few exceptions) veterans movesets for the most part
What's wrong with not moving on competitively? I don't see anything wrong with not moving on due to disliking the competitive side. It's kinda like how some casuals don't want to go pro.

And Brawl still does bare resemblence of Melee and 64. Play as Nintendo characters and relying on ring outs to win the game.
I was speaking competitively.

Well if SSB64 is played seriously, why can't Brawl? It's obviously faster than the 64 version.
If it's not deep enough the speed won't matter. What's speed without control?

In the end, the Smash Bros series has shallow gameplay anyway. Would anyone even like Smash 64 if it didn't feature the Nintendo characters?
Maybe, maybe not. God knows where smash could be if it had [more] 3rd party characters or made up characters just for the series.

Why should they play a different game? The game is being made more their our liking than yours. It has different gameplay so wouldn't the ones who don't like it (ie, ppl who won't play it cuz of the lack of WDing), they should be the ones playing a different game.
There is not other game like smash, asking for different gameplay doesn't make much sense because smash is already original. It's not like the change would be dynamic anyway, and if it was too dynamic it would alienate the cult following.

[/quote]
RE4 was originally on the cube. sure, the extra content was from the PS2, but the PS2 version was ported on the Cube, so it's essentially a cube port. Sorry to be picky on small , details. Oh, and SSBB is part of the so-called "kiddy crap" to a certain exrtent.[/quote]

That's even worse, a port of a port. I've seen worse kiddy stuff on the Wii, it's so bad it makes SSBB look like it should be rated M.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
There is not other game like smash, asking for different gameplay doesn't make much sense because smash is already original. It's not like the change would be dynamic anyway, and if it was too dynamic it would alienate the cult following.
I wasn't (or didn't want to) saying that it should be so completely different. It has its differences from melee, but from what I've heard and seen it's still the core game it should be.

That's even worse, a port of a port. I've seen worse kiddy stuff on the Wii, it's so bad it makes SSBB look like it should be rated M.
Not everything that's kiddy is bad, y'know.

oh, and i wasny saying that it was good or bad, just pointing it out. No need to get uppity about that.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace

RE4 was originally on the cube. sure, the extra content was from the PS2, but the PS2 version was ported on the Cube, so it's essentially a cube port. Sorry to be picky on small , details. Oh, and SSBB is part of the so-called "kiddy crap" to a certain exrtent.
lol Yah, I mean wtf is up with that? You say stuff on the Wii is kiddie crap yet on Smash Bros. you play as pink puffballs, princesses, and Pokemon. It's ****ing Nintendo, your trying to make it serious? The games not really meant to be made into a competitive bore, its supposed to be fun. If you guys wanna be competitive and wanna prove that the only thing your good at in life is beating people at a certain game, then go play Halo or something like that with the rest of the douches. :ohwell:

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
lol Yah, I mean wtf is up with that? You say stuff on the Wii is kiddie crap yet on Smash Bros. you play as pink puffballs, princesses, and Pokemon. It's ****ing Nintendo, your trying to make it serious? The games not really meant to be made into a competitive bore, its supposed to be fun. If you guys wanna be competitive and wanna prove that the only thing your good at in life is beating people at a certain game, then go play Halo or something like that with the rest of the douches. :ohwell:
thanks for backing me up, but the douches was a little uncalled for, dontchathink?

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
Ha, my long post on page 2 of the thread has been all but ignored except for the thread starters' 'you have a point but as you concede it doesn't mean Sakurai doesn't know what he's doing comment'. Please follow the link to read if you want to read one reason why Brawl might not turn out as great as it could for the competitive level.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
^^ Are you finished? You should use ignorant post tags so people don't get confused because you're making no sense.

If we play competitive it doesn't affect you.
If you play casual it doesn't us.

"Fun", is a subjective term, smartass. What's fun for you might not be fun for me, think about that next time you go around bashing things you don't like Mr. Opinion.

We play for fun on a different level and then ******* like you come along and go "oh noes I can't keep up *bash bash bash!!* Look mommy! I'm a big kid now!".

You think you're cool because you play a little but don't go any further? Well guess what? That's how Olympics came about, do you think people just up and decided "Let's make something called Olympics, were we-we run around in circles at different lengths and where we throw stuff yeah!"

I bet you're a fan of some sort of sport or like an artist, radio wasn't around forever and singing/music was just for fun, look at music now. You're telling us we're close minded for liking the tournament scene but you're the one how thinks the game should be played one way.

I can't believe how naive and ignorant some kids are growing up today.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
^^ Are you finished? You should use ignorant post tags so people don't get confused because you're making no sense.

"Fun", is a subjective term, smartass. What's fun for you might not be fun for me, think about that next time you go around bashing things you don't like Mr. Opinion.

We play for fun on a different level and then ******* like you come along and go "oh noes I can't keep up *bash bash bash!!* Look mommy! I'm a big kid now!".

You think you're cool because you play a little but don't go any further? Well guess what? That's how Olympics came about, do you think people just up and decided "Let's make something called Olympics, were we-we run around in circles at different lengths and where we throw stuff yeah!"

I bet you're a fan of some sort of sport or like an artist, radio wasn't around forever and singing/music was just for fun, look at music now. You're telling us we're close minded for liking the tournament scene but you're the one how thinks the game should be played one way.

Wow, this is why we have such a division between casual and competative players. We always have some jerk bashing casuals for no reason.

And yes, people actually aren't playing because WDing isn't in. At least now its only like 3 people. A year ago, the whole forum was saying "I'm not even buying this piece of sh*t if WDing isn't in"

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
The problem is that some people seem to think that this game is being specifically made just for them. This isn't your game. It never was, and never will be. It's Sakurai's, so what he wants in HIS game is what he will get. He is making this game for everyone. Yeah, everyone. Of course one can't please every single person out of the millions that will buy their product. You don't like the game? Don't buy it. Go ahead, be pissed off with the whole thing. I know people like to have tournaments but the game isn't being specifically designed for them anyway. I understand wishful thinking and all that, but some of the things I have read here are absolutely ridiculous. Besides, we have heaps of updates yet to come. Maybe if people were patient before slagging off the game because the update isn't what people exactly wanted. To be honest I was amazed he did daily updates at all.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
I don't think douche is in a thesaurus.
which is why he should've use one. they have such pretty words there.

The problem is that some people seem to think that this game is being specifically made just for them. This isn't your game. It never was, and never will be. It's Sakurai's, so what he wants in HIS game is what he will get. He is making this game for everyone. Yeah, everyone. Of course one can't please every single person out of the millions that will buy their product. You don't like the game? Don't buy it. Go ahead, be pissed off with the whole thing. I know people like to have tournaments but the game isn't being specifically designed for them anyway. I understand wishful thinking and all that, but some of the things I have read here are absolutely ridiculous. Besides, we have heaps of updates yet to come. Maybe if people were patient before slagging off the game because the update isn't what people exactly wanted. To be honest I was amazed he did daily updates at all.
Agreed. We can'tk now for sure now whether it's gonna be super competitive or not right now.

Can't help but agree with you there. We need some sort of competitive scene going to build interest. I just don't like ppl whining about them taking out things that could possibly make the game less competitive.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
What you all keep forgetting is the most important arguement of them all, I own which is obvious, but the real question is... will I own in brawl?

Top Bottom