• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai knows what he is doing

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
@The Hypnotist
I can understand your frustration, but the way you are taking it out on the thread is causing more trouble than good. Try not to be so harsh and post more calmly, that way people would be more open to your opinion.
Yeah, I'm coming off a little strong, thanks for reminding me. I just love Melee so much, and I don't want Brawl to be nerfed just because Nintendo hates skill in games.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
yah whil 64 friend limit does suck its better than what melee had and theres still always the random way to do it, or just have friends come over

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Actually, no, I am going to say something long.

Mookie knows what he's talking about. And to be honest I'm tired of people acting like Sakurai is a god, he just got lucky with the competitive scene of Melee. He wants the game to be casual, he's lowering the laerning curve, he made L-Canceling easier, he mad catching items easier, he took out wavedashing, he said real men play with items. He's not that great. I don't think Sakurai knows anything about tiers, he thinks that Link and Gannon are top tier.
1. Nobody is acting as if Sakurai is a genius of game design or anything, but you have to understand that a lot of people here believe in him. I like the competitive scene-I wish there were more tourneys near where I live-but I'll be honest with you; I don't care if somehow Brawl turns out to be "un-competitive" (and, logically speaking, that's not gonna happen anyway). What we've seen is more than enough proof that whatever it turns out to be, Brawl is going to be one freakin' awesome game, far better than the original and Melee ever were.

2. You're right: he's making certain aspects of the game easier in order to make it more accessible to everyone, but what does that matter? Do you know why other games have competitive communities? It's because THE PLAYERS MAKE THEM. Even if, after years of testing, the only advanced techs in Brawl are only the ones mentioned in Gimpy's topic, that's still enough to create a gap between the hardcore and the truly casual. And, like I already said, Brawl is going to have a competitive scene regardless of its gameplay because the players who love the game and are willing to compete seriously will be the ones who'll create it.

3. Seriously, what's with everybody and that stupid "Real men use items" quote? Haven't you been reading, well, every other update on the Dojo? Sakurai's updates are filled with jokes.

4. No, Sakurai does not think Link and Ganon are top tier, because it's obvious even to a newbie that they are not. He and his devs know exactly where Melee was when they started work on Brawl (believe it or not, developers do research on their games, and remember that the entire Brawl dev team is composed of Smash players). Yes, some of their decisions have raised a few eyebrows (Peach's buffs, Samus' apparent projectile nerf), but then plenty of their decisions have been good (Marth, Falco and Sheik are almost certainly gone, Fox and the Shine have been nerfed, Bowser and Link's buffs).

5. Remember that it was the players who create the tiers. So, yes, Sakurai knows nothing about tiers because they're not his concern.

I think his goal is to make the game balanced in a sense of competition. I don't think he wants a really good player, I don't think he wants a really bad player, he wants matches with sudden death and bombs. It's why we don't even know how we're playing against in With Anyone mode, it's why Spectator mode sucks. He wants the game to be a party game.
1. Look, regardless of what is done to a fighting game, there will always be good players and bad players. You may not like some of Sakurai's decisions but he's not an idiot; he's not going to make Brawl some kind of unplayable, supremely unbalanced game.

2. Okay, SD only happens when the last remaining combatants die at the same time. You know we well as I do how rarely that occurs. SD is what it has always been since the original.

3. Spectator mode sucks? You watch matches instead of playing them. What the hell is so bad about that? Obviously it's not exactly the greatest thing in the world about Brawl but it's just another mode, and a minor one at that.

4. No, he does not want Brawl to be a party game. Again, Sakurai is not an idiot.

Mario and Sonic @ The Olympics is a party game.
Mario Party 8 is a party game.
Big Brain Academy is a party game.
[Insert 100% Bull**** Wii Minigame Collection Here] is a party game.

Fighting games are not, and never will be, party games.

5. Please, don't question the decisions made with Brawl's online mode. Be thankful that we have one to begin with; remember that the Wii and all of its online features are Nintendo's first ever journey with this technology. If you ask me, what we've received so far is pretty **** impressive.

For starters, missiles are far from cheap, especially in casual play. The only instance in which missiles could even be debated as to being overpowered would be in free for alls, but that is such an isolated thing and is a part of having a character focused on ranged attacks. Also, even with basic gameplay mechanics the missiles aren't hard to overcome. I remember swatting missiles down with jabs and stuff in my days as a casual player. Keep in mind that there wasn't any missile canceling either.
*gives you a big hug* You beat me to it, but thanks. ^^

yah whil 64 friend limit does suck its better than what melee had and theres still always the random way to do it, or just have friends come over
See, this guy has the right attitude...at least with what I just quoted him for.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I hate to disagree with Dragon, there's a difference between acceptance and complacency.

It's not Sakurai's fault that online sucks, it's Nintendo's fault but nevertheless, it sucks hard. Nintendo needs to stop BSing their customers with their ******** friend codes for every game and no name crap.

I don't even think I'll be able to use online, I don't know any one on this island with a Wii and I'm so far from America/Europe that people would probably play random rather than fight me 1 vs 1.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I hate to disagree with Dragon, there's a difference between acceptance and complacency.

It's not Sakurai's fault that online sucks, it's Nintendo's fault but nevertheless, it sucks hard. Nintendo needs to stop BSing their customers with their ******** friend codes for every game and no name crap.

I don't even think I'll be able to use online, I don't know any one on this island with a Wii and I'm so far from America/Europe that people would probably play random rather than fight me 1 vs 1.
Leave Nintendo alone. They're still new to this whole thing and they're doing what they think is best.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That's a poor excuse, even PS2's online was better.

I don't see how they could even consider their online service acceptable. They're making the most profit out of anyone, yet they don't try to improve anything.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm coming off a little strong, thanks for reminding me. I just love Melee so much, and I don't want Brawl to be nerfed just because Nintendo hates skill in games.
You're coming off a little strong saying Nintendo hates skill in games, too.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
That's a poor excuse, even PS2's online was better.

I don't see how they could even consider their online service acceptable. They're making the most profit out of anyone, yet they don't try to improve anything.
I can understand your anger but, it is a good excuse. After the N64, unlike every other company, Nintendo never really did focus or have any drive to focus on online playability for their games, and now with this console after the GameCube, they really -are- new to it.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Leave Nintendo alone. They're still new to this whole thing and they're doing what they think is best.
I don't see whats wrong with calling out nintendo on its poor(terrible) online implementation. If they see enough complaints from the fans, they may think twice about some of the unnecessary choices they've made that reduce the overall experience

Cless

Smash Champion
Individual FCs for every game for one. Lack of most basic online functions in the games.

XBL is pretty sweet. I think it's worth 5 dollars a month.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
$5 a month is so ridiculously cheap and sooo much better than Nintendo's online that it's silly. I'd gladly pay some money to have an excellent service.

Cless

Smash Champion
$5 a month is so ridiculously cheap and sooo much better than Nintendo's online that it's silly. I'd gladly pay some money to have an excellent service.
I as well, which is why I do. Having a private conversation with your friend while playing on two separate teams is priceless.

Cless

Smash Champion
Alright, but what's soooo much better about it than Nintendo's? I mean, I know its worse than the 360's but why exactly? O.o
Voice chat
Private voice chat while your playing games
Invites to any 360 game that has online whether or not they are on your friend list
Leaderboards
Name identification
The fact that you can send a friend request to anyone that you liked playing with
Doesn't have a separate code for each game that makes the Wii number nigh useless

Not to mention all the other things the Xbox can do, such as sync with all your media on your computer and play said media during games.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Voice chat
Invites to any 360 game that has online whether or not they are on your friend list
Leaderboards
Name identification
The fact that you can send a friend request to anyone that you liked playing with
Doesn't have a separate code for each game that makes the Wii number nigh useless

Not to mention all the other things the Xbox can do, such as sync with all your media on your computer and play said media during games.
Aight, aight thats respectable.

I'd have to say voice chat and name identifications arent Nintendo's way because of all the Parental Control and ****. So that's never gonna happen. I wouldnt really want a bunch of ten year old douchebags screaming in my ear while I'm playing anyways. (Like Halo)

I do agree with the friend requests though. And dealing with the Wii code thing can be annoying.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Ps3's online is free and it's better than Nintendo's also, I haven't heard much so I can't really compare but it must be hard to keep tabs on everything with people freeloading all the time.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Voice chat
Leaderboards
Name identification

I would gladly pay for this

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
As would I. All I think they should add is as leader board and Freind invites. Voice chat would get in the way, I don't talk when I play melee anyways.
Yeah I agree about the voice chat. Most of the people on 360 get annoying anyway, but I don't thinking having it would hurt. I would like the basic capability of adding a friend though. I hate how parents are so quick to blame companies these days for what happens to their kids, when it's their own responsibility to look out for their children. If your son meets a creepy guy online, then you obviously did a horrible job of teaching him about strangers. My parents get scared of me being on Facebook, as if I'm going to randomly give out my information to every pervert on the internet. Nintendo is basically playing the role of the overprotective parent to get along with the overprotective parents out there, while frustrating the children who need their freedom and ability to have fun. I'm not saying Brawl's online won't be fun, but Nintendo is just ruining its potential.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I'd be all over that. If Nintendo hasn't realized it yet: LIVE IS VERY SUCCESSFUL.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For one, we'd make the game very balanced, with more than just three characters dominating tournaments. Second, we'd make Zero Suit Samus a good idea.
I dont think it's a bad idea, ZSS affirms to be that shiekd will not be in, because her fighting style (minus the paralyzer) seems very similar to shieks in SSBM.

one problem however. If smashballs are disabled in tournaments, how will someone who mastered ZSS ever be able to shine?

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I dont think it's a bad idea, ZSS affirms to be that shiekd will not be in, because her fighting style (minus the paralyzer) seems very similar to shieks in SSBM.

one problem however. If smashballs are disabled in tournaments, how will someone who mastered ZSS ever be able to shine?
I don't think I can agree with that. :dizzy:

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Nintendo's online can only be described as one word in comparison to its competition and that word is horrible, period.
I actually agree with you Hypnotist. While I am thankful for some sort of online play in Brawl, I just wish Nintendo would have at least made their functions similar to their own competition. They could have easily generated even more revenue if they had online capabilities that are not only free, but also near or at the same level as XBOX Live and PS3 in terms of quality.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
At LEAST we can play people via the friend codes. I would punch Nintendo if it didn't have that.
Yeah, I'm glad we at least have some sort of way to fight with our friends, it's just harder to add people based on your own skill level when you exchange codes in forums such as these.

Top Bottom