• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: "If we Direct Smash ONLY at The Competitive Players, It Will Have No Future."

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Omg this crap logic? Really? I've never made a movie but I know Transformers Dark of the Moon sucks.
Dude, SSB4 is considered to be great. Same with Brawl. It's just the measly one percent that cares about stuff like this. Smash always has, and always will be casual focused. Until you can make a game where the two can peacefully coexist, "Have you ever made a game?" will be true. Melee was indeed a failure in this regard, by the way.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Omg this crap logic? Really? I've never made a movie but I know Transformers Dark of the Moon sucks.
It was more of a joke, really. But still nobody here knows what its like to make a game in one of Nintendo's biggest franchise and try to appeal to casual players and the very fickle hardcore players.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Allow me to complain for an arbitrary reason in which Masahiro Sakurai literally has no experience with the western Smash Brothers audience. You wonder why people "allow" his decisions? Because his home-crowd is the Japanese nation. Take into consideration they're highly respectful folk who are willing to change for the franchise they love rather than mold it to fit their purposes. Now the western audience? Total different story. This entire website is a symbolic representation of one of the WORST and most UNGRATEFUL pack of people that a video game fanbase can own. Keep on whining that your favorite way to play Smash isn't there, because most fans of the series play the game for what makes Smash Brothers, Smash brothers. And let me tell you, it's not the stupid E-SPROTZ facade that you put up that makes Smash, it's the sheer personality and charm which oozes from Nintendo's IPs.

Keep on bitchin'.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Huh? Some people are reading this entirely wrong. Sakurai is basically saying that if the game was just strictly competitive then the game won't be as successful is it is now. The Competitive Community is only but a fraction of what the entire Smash Brothers Fanbase is. I don't know why some people are interpreting that Sakurai is saying the game doesn't have no future competitively. The competitive scene will always be successful for the hardcore but the game wouldn't have a future as a whole because it would alienate most of its fanbase just to please the hardcore which is only a fraction of its fanbase.

When the series first started, it drawn everyone together and it left no one out. The hardcore turned into something competitive, which is nothing wrong, but the the competitive scene isn't the Huge part of this franchise success its just part of it. Every component of its fanbase is responsible for this franchise success and I think sakurai is right. Keep it simple but with depth for the hardcore. Hell my daughter is almost six and she loves the hell out of this game and I can spend time with her without her getting frustrated with controls. Then when the bros come over its time to get serious and play till we are tired. So there is a balance for both sides and it should remain that way.

Last edited:

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
Allow me to complain for an arbitrary reason in which Masahiro Sakurai literally has no experience with the western Smash Brothers audience. You wonder why people "allow" his decisions? Because his home-crowd is the Japanese nation. Take into consideration they're highly respectful folk who are willing to change for the franchise they love rather than mold it to fit their purposes. Now the western audience? Total different story. This entire website is a symbolic representation of one of the WORST and most UNGRATEFUL pack of people that a video game fanbase can own. Keep on whining that your favorite way to play Smash isn't there, because most fans of the series play the game for what makes Smash Brothers, Smash brothers. And let me tell you, it's not the stupid E-SPROTZ facade that you put up that makes Smash, it's the sheer personality and charm which oozes from Nintendo's IPs.

Keep on *****in'.
So basically, if someone pisses in our corn flakes, we should respond by thanking them and continue eating without a complaint? Cool.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Are we going back to food analogies? I thought we were done with them after what Sakurai said about clones.

Rafs

Smash Rookie
Players shouldnt get mad over this.

The whole smash bros franchise was made in order to be a fun party game that represented famous Nintendo characters in a unique brawl type of game. It's Purpose was to be friendly and be easy to adapt.
In each sequel came more techs to the games mechanics, leading to people to play in insane levels of skill(Melee).

Sakurai has been amazing at adressing to alot of things that narrowed the gap between casual, amateurs and pros.(except tripping)
If you play well, you will no doubt body your opponent, but it gives room for improvement and understanding of the game and it isnt a cluster **** of complexivity in order to stay decent at the game.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Am I the only one who doesn't care what Sakurai said? Yes, he did say that he doesn't like competitive Smash players, but he did say that Smash players should play however they like to play, and by the looks of it, he doesn't mind accommodating competitive players at least a little bit. (If he did mind, we wouldn't have For Glory mode, online tournaments, and tripping would still exist!)

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
The comments summarized:

"sakruai deosnt kno jaksht on horw to run a fking gam technicl tech tech fir sakura"

raughs

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I actually hate Sakurai. He's such a child and his mindset is so damn dichotomized it's ridiculous. People always bring up this same coup de grace argument against this stupidity, but you can have a game that functions as both. You don't need to blatantly cut out the competitive side of the game because you don't want casuals to give up on it. Hell, most people won't even be aware of the competitive side and will just have fun with their neat little smiles machine in ignorant bliss. Melee functioned as both without cutting the other out yadda yadda. There are many ways to play the game, and you're artificially restricting one for another and it's wrong no matter which way you take it, but it just makes overall worse and less interesting games when you restrict competitive play and not vice-versa. God, just actually try to find a balance and stop being an idiot with your feeble understanding of the subject PLEASE.

42nd

Smash Cadet
I actually hate Sakurai. He's such a child and his mindset is so damn dichotomized it's ridiculous. People always bring up this same coup de grace argument against this stupidity, but you can have a game that functions as both. You don't need to blatantly cut out the competitive side of the game because you don't want casuals to give up on it. Hell, most people won't even be aware of the competitive side and will just have fun with their neat little smiles machine in ignorant bliss. Melee functioned as both without cutting the other out yadda yadda. There are many ways to play the game, and you're artificially restricting one for another and it's wrong no matter which way you take it, but it just makes overall worse and less interesting games when you restrict competitive play and not vice-versa. God, just actually try to find a balance and stop being an idiot with your feeble understanding of the subject PLEASE.
dichotomized basically means split :p

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
EmptySky00 said:
You don't need to blatantly cut out the competitive side of the game because you don't want casuals to give up on it.
So, Making a mode specifically for no items competitive matches, and announcing an update for online tournaments is giving up on competitive Smash? He even got rid of tripping! Sounds like he can accommodate competitive smashers at least a little bit.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
It's not often I come out of the woodwork.

Sakurai's interview made me sad.

That mindset is incredibly false, and it saddens me that more than a decade of user feedback has yet to change his mind.

A higher skill tier does not necessarily mean a less accessible game. Hell, look at old-school arcade games such as Pacman or Galaga. There are people who hold the world records to those games, yet I have no shattered ego due to the fact that I can't come close to them. Neither do the millions of people who still enjoy / play the games.

Look at Melee, or SSB64 (Note: my lack of inclusion for Brawl is not to say the game is bad, or uncompetitive -- rather, it is not included due to the fact that it is Sakurai's first attempt at making a game which is competitively "balanced" between top-tier players and low-tier players). There are very distinct tiers in player skill. Hell, just knowing the L-cancelling technique elevates you above most people around you.

Yet, those games are some of the most successful games you, Nintendo, have ever sold. More than a decade later, their accessories are still being bought, copies of the game are still in circulation, and people still play them day in and day out. There was no initial huge gap of skill which prevented people from enjoying the game. People were shocked when they learned about L-cancelling, or wave-dashing, or even shield-grabbing, sure, but people are generally versatile. Adaption happens, and not just as a mid-game technique, but in the fluid, "casual" play as well. People learn what works. People play to win.

The ability for a skill gap to be present does not imply that fewer people will play the game. I would argue, rather, that empirical and anecdotal evidence shows that the more competitive a game is, the more successful it tends to be.

Millions of people compete in League of Legends day in and day out, or on various FPS games through console networking services. Riot throws millions of dollars each year into prizes for competitive players, and spends thousands more advertising their competitive streams and events. Yet a minute number of people stop playing because "wow, there are better people than me". Oftentimes, player polls show that this motivates players to do more, emulating their favorite players and/or teams.

You allow your fear to control you when you separate the game into "fun" and "skill-based". While I do agree that, oftentimes, competitive rulesets are sought after by communities -- look at CS:GO, and their map pool selection. And, I do conceded that, as a developer, you cannot account for all of the issues that come with a competitively balanced game. Furthermore, it can be conceded that your goal is not to create a competitive game -- your aim is to create a family game, where everyone can have fun.

The mistake arises the instant you think that they are mutually exclusive. In any game -- outside of games of pure chance -- if a group of people play for a length of time, the more skilled player will arise as the more consistent victor. The step "because faster, more technical techniques are possible, those who do not know these techniques will not enjoy the game" is illogical, and, as mentioned before, is one based out of fear. Families play games such as Backgammon or Chess their entire lives (again, I am rambling now, but I am just throwing out example after example in exasperation and disbelief that a someone can be this blind to the truth), yet those who understand a few basic techniques can easily demolish their counterparts.

If you want to create a game which has no winners or losers, offer co-op modes on your storyline (as you did with SubSpace Emmissary) for families. But don't penalize those who wish to take the game to their limits in an unreasonable effort to protect peoples' egos. The better players will ALWAYS tend to win. Don't limit how much they have a chance to win by.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
So basically, if someone pisses in our corn flakes, we should respond by thanking them and continue eating without a complaint? Cool.
First off, comparing video games to food is straight up ********. One is a means of simple entertainment and the other is means of survival.

If you want a ****ty food analogy think of it like his. Sakurai makes a really good meal in 2001 with eggs toast and bacon. In 2008 he makes a meal with eggs toast and sausage. For the most part it's the same but you can't help but be a whiny lil' ***** "becuz muh bacon." Then in 2014 he makes eggs, toast, sausage, and canadian bacon. Really close too the original meal, probably just as good, but it doesn't fit your ****ty food palette. You're complaining about something he already told you to **** off with.

Second off, the game isn't bad. It just doesn't have "le epicz" advanced techs and depth that Melee had. It may not pander towards you as a minority, but it's still a game with production value so good that it runs 60 fps 1080p on a Wii U of all things.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I just read all the comments, and wow...

Like holy ****.... Never in my life I have seen such toxic and hateful "remarks" over a ****ing video game.

@Syrek and @OboromuramaAlpaca already said what I was going to say.
You guys need to act your age and grow up, and learn that everybody (even the creator) is going to have the differnet opinion as you.

I can officially say the Smash community is as BAD as the Brony, Sonic and Anmie fandom and even worst.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
It just seems like people are trying to come up with reasons to complain. Sakurai's statement doesn't really seem to be controversial.

In regards to the advanced techniques like wavedashing and L-cancelling, are those really important to have in order for Super Smash Bros. to be more competitive?

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
First off, comparing video games to food is straight up ********. One is a means of simple entertainment and the other is means of survival.

If you want a ****ty food analogy think of it like his. Sakurai makes a really good meal in 2001 with eggs toast and bacon. In 2008 he makes a meal with eggs toast and sausage. For the most part it's the same but you can't help but be a whiny lil' ***** "becuz muh bacon." Then in 2014 he makes eggs, toast, sausage, and canadian bacon. Really close too the original meal, probably just as good, but it doesn't fit your ****ty food palette. You're complaining about something he already told you to **** off with.

Second off, the game isn't bad. It just doesn't have "le epicz" advanced techs and depth that Melee had. It may not pander towards you as a minority, but it's still a game with production value so good that it runs 60 fps 1080p on a Wii U of all things.
My main gripe with Sakurai is that he intentionally tried to cut the competitive community out entirely. (Granted, he has been better about this for Smash 4) But accusing everyone who doesn't like/has complaints about what they are being given, and taking it upon themselves to make what they want, as being childish and that they should just take it without even thinking about it is quite frankly, stupid.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Maybe we should have made sure that was what he accurately said before making it the header of the article, Smashboards writers. There are too many news posts that have critical mistakes that lead to big misunderstandings within this community.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Rofl maybe you melee fanboys should actually have played sm4sh before complaining about sakurais comments. It's incredibly competitive even if it doesn't allow for the sort of combos we saw in ssbm.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
It just seems like people are trying to come up with reasons to complain. Sakurai's statement doesn't really seem to be controversial.

In regards to the advanced techniques like wavedashing and L-cancelling, are those really important to have in order for Super Smash Bros. to be more competitive?
They want the game to be about fast combos rather than action/reaction only. Somehow the latter isn't "competitive" while the former is.

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
They want the game to be about fast combos rather than action/reaction only. Somehow the latter isn't "competitive" while the former is.
Oh, both are competitive, just many of us prefer the faster combos.

Exzerko

Smash Cadet
"Gaming got to where it is today because of its hardcore competitive audience that is was targeted ten years ago and i don't hate the fact that
Nintendo and other gaming companies are trying to widen their audience"

"Melee was so popular and still is because it had the duality of being played as a party game and a competitive game. I don't understand the reason for just eliminating the competitive half"

^ That's a quote from female Melee player "Milktea" and i couldn't agree more. I just wish Sakurai and the rest of Nintendo could just understand

SleezyWeezel

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0404-7056-2030
Sakurai is a washed-up designer who has lost sight of what is truly important.

He lacks the basic understanding that a game can be both deep and accessible. It is this kind of narrow-minded thinking that has destroyed the smash community and replaced it with separate sub-communities filled with cynicism.

Melee was fun at both a party and competitive level. it was easily approachable, but also extremely deep. The "online" argument is pointless with decent matchmaking options. Understanding that distinction is the single most important thing a designer should keep in mind. Ana ccessible game allows for new players to get into the game, but depth keeps them hooked. Depth and accessibility are not on a continuum. They are two entierly separate entities that can co-exist.

I used to respect Sakurai, he was someone whom I aspired to be like when I was younger. To see the personr esponsible for my favourite game of all time turn out like this... it's a hard pill to swallow.

Smash Bros. needs new blood, a designer capable of actually interacting and respecting its competitive community. I'm sorry Sakurai, but you are the bigger problem. You need to go.
He really does. He's pissing me off honestly.
He caters to the crowd who fails at everything in life, apparently.
True

SleezyWeezel

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0404-7056-2030
Dude, SSB4 is considered to be great. Same with Brawl. It's just the measly one percent that cares about stuff like this. Smash always has, and always will be casual focused. Until you can make a game where the two can peacefully coexist, "Have you ever made a game?" will be true. Melee was indeed a failure in this regard, by the way.
brawl was terrible sorry. random tripping ruined the game

Legaci

Smash Cadet
>Sakurai says we should play other fighting games competitively and play smash casually
>I'm still going to play smash competively

HAHAHAHA, I'm such a rebel.

Disclaimer: I like to play casually and competively since I find both ways fun.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Calm down there kiddo. All the ad hominem in the world isn't going to help you come off as any less of a pretentious idiot.
First off, comparing video games to food is straight up ********. One is a means of simple entertainment and the other is means of survival
This is just nitpicking. If you can't pick up the nuances of how a human conversation works between normal people, you're not even worth taking seriously.
If you want a ****ty food analogy think of it like his. Sakurai makes a really good meal in 2001 with eggs toast and bacon. In 2008 he makes a meal with eggs toast and sausage. For the most part it's the same but you can't help but be a whiny lil' ***** "becuz muh bacon."
This is plain false. The amount of bull**** that was in Brawl was ridiculous. Ice Climbers straight up made the game frustrating to play with the sheer amount of game breaking moves, and 0 to death grabs they had. Then there was Meta Knight who needs no explanation. He is basically capable of beating any character in the game without much effort if you've been playing for a bit. Brawl was crap. It wasn't competitively viable, and it was boring from a casual perspective.
Then in 2014 he makes eggs, toast, sausage, and canadian bacon. Really close too the original meal, probably just as good, but it doesn't fit your ****ty food palette. You're complaining about something he already told you to **** off with.
You're right, lets ignore the hundreds of local tournaments, and thousands of views garnered for the Super Smash Bros solely from the competitive scene alone. Let's go back to your ****ty food analogy. If I recall correctly, Melee was the perfect meal. It had the bacon, eggs, and toast. Just the way EVERYONE liked it. What Sakurai did was alienate half of the games community by choosing to purposefully exclude competitive play. If it ain't broke don't fix it. All he should have done to Melee was update the graphics, add more maps, more characters, buff up the single player, and add online. Simple. The sequel would have pleased everyone.
Meh, you're right it's not bad. Is it better than Melee? Nope. If Melee was up to date like S4msh was, with the graphics and the maps and the characters, it would be a lot more widely played.

Stop riding Sakurai's ****. The Smash series was great, and I respect him for that. Doesn't mean he is without blame, and that there is no room for improvement.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I think Sakurai is just tired of the Smash franchise yet can't seem to detach himself from it as he brought it. I think Sakurai is tired and fed up with designing, implementing, And developing the Smash franchise and has become bitter/apathetic to the series fan base.

I think Sakurai viewed Brawl as a masterpiece (I.e. "The roster was perfect") and almost every interview the couple months after was encouraging and positive.

However, every interview/article that I've read since September has highlighted how he's tired, how hard it is to make a game, long time frames, no time off, trying to defend his decisions.

He just seems tired, disenfranchised, and apathetic. He just doesn't give a **** anymore.

I like the guy and I want to be still connected to the series but bring in a new person to direct the game and let Sakurai sit on the creative board or advisory committee or something.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Sorry this might be long. If you don't care about my road from being a Casual to a Competitive player, then I suggest you skip this.

You know, I'm not going to lie. When I first got into Smash (Smash 64) as a kid, I always played the game with the attention of it just being something fun, and easy to get into. To me, I was just having fun. Then Melee came along and guess what? I still had fun. I was a flat out noob at Smash Bros. So bad, I had to hit the pause button just to process what was going on. I even had a hard time with just basic level 3 CPUs. Smash was also the first fighting game I played serious in. Even though I was terrible at it, I always considered it a fighting game. Me and my brother would always battle each other, and he was so much better then me at everything. So I always strived to get better. Still lost.....a lot, but that didn't stop me. I wanted to get better. And you know something, those advanced techniques, I had no idea of there existence. I didn't know about it, and even if I had, I wouldn't bother with it because (at my age) it would have sounded complicated and confusing. So I just kept playing Smash the way I always had. Never did those techniques took away my fun from the game, nor did I considered it a big deal (at the time).

But as time progress before Brawl's announcement, then I started to get better at the game. No more hitting that pause button! I started to get better and better at the game, and actually for the first time, I beat my brother while he was actually playing seriously. I was so happy. For once I actually won against him. To my surprise, my brother said he was going to train to get better.

And then one day, while me and my brother we're playing a match of Melee, my brother began to slide across the stage like butter, and was notably much more faster. He completely 5-stocked me without losing a single stock. I was just sitting down, staring at the screen wondering "what on earth did he just do?" I asked him what he did, and then he told me about WaveDashing, L-Canceling, Short Hops, Dash Dancing, etc. I tried to do them, and saw how they can work effectively in the game, but ultimately couldn't get into it because I would be putting myself at a bigger risk just trying to use them, then if I just sticked with what I was use to.

Even after Brawl came out, I still didn't know how to use them properly. This is also the time when I found out what a "Console" is (I always called "Consoles" "Systems" lol). And Speaking of Brawl, when that came out (finally) I noticed that it felt much slower then what I was use to, but I really didn't pay it much mind because I was on that Brawl hype. But after two years, I got bored of it quick, and decided I wanted to play Melee again. When I got back to Melee....I was shocked. The game felt so fast all of a sudden. But then it dawned on me. Melee's speed hasn't changed, it was always this fast. Even when I wasn't using the techniques, Melee was still faster. It was Brawl that was slower (keep in mind that I was 12 here). I stopped playing Brawl after that, and went back to Melee. Still remembering about those advanced techniques, I wanted to train on how to use them. It took a while, but then I began to figure it out. Though I haven't mastered it, I was capable of actually pulling them off in a match, which notably, made me faster. It gave my brother a challenge, but he still won (as always).

Then, I started playing other fighting games. Street Fighter had always been there in my childhood, but I didn't know how to combo like everyone else. The game felt too hard for me. So I tried out other fighters like Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (UMVC3 wasn't out nor announced yet at the time) Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Tekken. Man, they had a lot of buttons! Something I was not use to, but over time I learn how to combo in each of them, as well as study on some of the game physics. After doing so, then street Fight 4 Arcade Edition came out, and I really wanted to play as Oni. Then, I learned how to actually combo in Street Fighter 4 (at this point I was 13). After I learned how to combo in street fighter, I notably became much, much better at every fighting game I played. I started to take in on techs, and study my characters movesets and potential. Their strengths, and their Weaknesses. I started learning about timing, mix-ups, and on screen position tactics (like Mid-Screen and Corner Combos). All of this helped me become better at fighting games as a whole. And to think it all started with Street Fighter 4......thanks Capcom.....even though....your marketing skills.....anyway, my brother also starting playing other fighters, and he got better as well. And when me and him went back to Melee.......talk about destruction! Because of all of the fighting games we played, it ultimately made us both better. At this point, me and my brother were equals. Even if I had 1 stock, and he had 3, there was still a high chance I could beat him, or vice versa.

Which then brings us to Project M, the birth of two Smash Gods. Playing PM with my brother was so much fun. The matches we had were just ridiculous. If anyone was watching us, they would have thought we were TAS players lol. Level 9 CPUs was now a joke to me. Laughable even. I started to master those techniques, and it only went Uphill from there. Today, I still play PM, but not as much as Smash 4 to be honest. It feels like the game Brawl should have been, and it appeals to both sides. This doesn't mean I'm hanging my PM coat, but I am just about that Smash 4 now (plus Palutena). Which goes back to the topic of this article. I completely understand Sakurai. He doesn't want to have a game where it is too complex and hard for newer fans. But to be honest Sakurai, you already achieved that goal. Smash is a very simple game to get into, without spending hours trying to figure out the controls. It's so easy, I taught my baby cousin (who has never played Smash before) how to play the game in less than 5 minutes, and she picked it up just like that. Don't stress about it so much Sakurai. You will always have a competitive player no matter how casual friendly you make the game. For as long as there is a "winner" and a "loser" you will always have those who take the game seriously. And I'm glad you like the fact that Smash can be played in different aspects. That's the reason why your series is such a hit, and why competitive players simply won't leave it for other fighters.

OK, enough of my rambling.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
brawl was terrible sorry. random tripping ruined the game
Not to average people it didn't. Brawl was just as good as Melee in their eyes, if not better.

Calm down there kiddo. All the ad hominem in the world isn't going to help you come off as any less of a pretentious idiot.

This is plain false. The amount of bull**** that was in Brawl was ridiculous. Ice Climbers straight up made the game frustrating to play with the sheer amount of game breaking moves, and 0 to death grabs they had. Then there was Meta Knight who needs no explanation. He is basically capable of beating any character in the game without much effort if you've been playing for a bit. Brawl was crap. It wasn't competitively viable, and it was boring from a casual perspective.

You're right, lets ignore the hundreds of local tournaments, and thousands of views garnered for the Super Smash Bros solely from the competitive scene alone. Let's go back to your ****ty food analogy. If I recall correctly, Melee was the perfect meal. It had the bacon, eggs, and toast. Just the way EVERYONE liked it. What Sakurai did was alienate half of the games community by choosing to purposefully exclude competitive play. If it ain't broke don't fix it. All he should have done to Melee was update the graphics, add more maps, more characters, buff up the single player, and add online. Simple. The sequel would have pleased everyone.

Meh, you're right it's not bad. Is it better than Melee? Nope. If Melee was up to date like S4msh was, with the graphics and the maps and the characters, it would be a lot more widely played.

Stop riding Sakurai's ****. The Smash series was great, and I respect him for that. Doesn't mean he is without blame, and that there is no room for improvement.

Wanna know what's funny? Most casuals didn't see from your deluded perspective of Brawl being "frustrating" or boring. ALL casuals I've ever known have seen Brawl just as good if not better than Melee. Of course, you obviously speak for the majority despite being a piece of the minority.

As for Melee as the "Perfect Meal" it was good. It was a fantastic game. Can I stand it when playing casually anymore? **** no. The roster is small. Stages are boring and provide no objective. Music is scarce. Brawl may not have been perfect in the gameplay department, but compared to Melee in terms of content it was the Empire State Building to a crooked-ass shack.

I never intended riding Sakurai's phallus as you so presume. He makes terrible decisions all the time. Dark Pit and Tripping were stupid and are definitely terrible design choices. I was simply stating as to how he's used to dealing with people who weren't pompous douches.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Not to average people it didn't. Brawl was just as good as Melee in their eyes, if not better.
Well of course it was better in their eyes. Majority of them could give two ****s about mechanics. And when that happens, all that is left is content, which Brawl had plenty of.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Well of course it was better in their eyes. Majority of them could give two ****s about mechanics. And when that happens, all that is left is content, which Brawl had plenty of.
Right, which arguably is the main draw of Smash Bros.
Not mechanics.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Right, which arguably is the main draw of Smash Bros.
Not mechanics.
Exactly. That was and still is all Sakurai's main focus when it comes down to Smash. Little did he know that it could be taken to high levels. Personally, I love both good content and good mechanics, as Smash offers me a fighting game experience like no other. That's why currently today, Smash 4 is my favorite in it's series because it has both IMO..............that and Palutena and aerial God Mario...........

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Exactly. That was and still is all Sakurai's main focus when it comes down to Smash. Little did he know that it could be taken to high levels. Personally, I love both good content and good mechanics, as Smash offers me a fighting game experience like no other. That's why currently today, Smash 4 is my favorite in it's series because it has both IMO..............that and Palutena and aerial God Mario...........
I agree with you. I play and love each Smash game, I even start up PM from time to time. Despite Sakurai's flawed opinion, I'm one of the few that thinks he has a good point

Top Bottom