• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: "If we Direct Smash ONLY at The Competitive Players, It Will Have No Future."

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I agree with you. I play and love each Smash game, I even start up PM from time to time. Despite Sakurai's flawed opinion, I'm one of the few that thinks he has a good point
To be honest, I think some people take Sakurai's opinion too close to heart, and I'm competitive player, yet I don't find his point upsetting. He basically just wants a game anyone can get into, that doesn't mean he won't make it competitive. It just means it's not his KEY focus. I think a lot of people forget that.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
"Mmm. Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those."

I can't believe what I just read??? Sakurai, you really want us competitively oriented players to drop Sm4sh, and pick some other games? How can you say that??? That's like one of the most worst marketing statements I have ever heard from a game developer. Yes, everything you say in public is a part of marketing, you wanted or not. You should really think more carefully what you say in those interviews. I doubt Nintendo agrees with your statements, having seen them hosting tournaments etc.

I think a fighting game in its pure nature, is competitive. So if you don't want to make competitive games, then you really shouldn't make fighting games, because they in the essence, are competitive. I think other games would be better for you Sakurai. I could see you fit as a developer of some easy single-player game, that everyone can pass with enjoy and no failures. But to make a fighting game not-competitive? That is impossible Sakurai, you really should try to understand it. The better players will always destroy worse players, unless you make it totally random, which would be absurd.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
"Mmm. Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those."

I can't believe what I just read??? Sakurai, you really want us competitively oriented players to drop Sm4sh, and pick some other games? How can you say that??? That's like one of the most worst marketing statements I have ever heard from a game developer. Yes, everything you say in public is a part of marketing, you wanted or not. You should really think more carefully what you say in those interviews. I doubt Nintendo agrees with your statements, having seen them hosting tournaments etc.

I think a fighting game in its pure nature, is competitive. So if you don't want to make competitive games, then you really shouldn't make fighting games, because they in the essence, are competitive. I think other games would be better for you Sakurai. I could see you fit as a developer of some easy single-player game, that everyone can pass with enjoy and no failures. But to make a fighting game not-competitive? That is impossible Sakurai, you really should try to understand it. The better players will always destroy worse players, unless you make it totally random, which would be absurd.
To be honest, I really don't let Sakurai's words get me. I will play Smash competitively no matter what happens. Heck, I can get competitive with just one pebble. So as long as I love fighting games as a whole, I will always remain competitive.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Sakurai is tsundere lol :chuckle:

"I won't make any other balance patch!"
"Well, maybe, we could do it in the future, but they are not important"

"Smash is not competitive! Go play a different game!"
-for glory -omega stages -gamecube adapter & controllers

------------------

Anyway, I'm fine with the gameplay of Smash 4 (and I'm mostly a Melee fan).
I have lots of problem with the game, that make me angry, but they don't come from the gameplay.
They come from how the game is all about boring grinding with no good rewards, I'm grinding for about 3 months now and I have still to get 2 Mii hats on the WiiU version.

To me the game has still room for improvements, but it's almost perfect even like it is (I'm only refering to the fighting engine, I'm not considering the game modes and other features).
-They should balance better the throwing physics (speed, distance, direction; in Melee it was perfect, in this game sometimes seems wrong, unpredictable... not as much as Brawl though)
-add variable hitstun depending on the percentage (Melee had it, you was stunned for longer if you had an higher percentage, in this game there is not much difference)
-add a new move that does a small dodge (with no invincible frames) without changing the facing direction of the character, similar to the wavedash, but easier to do and less exploitable (example: shield+jump+direction instead of the regular shield+direction).
-allow to push down the character even if the jump arc has not reached the top yet, or simply add a dynamic jump that is higher or shorter depending on how long you press the button, like in Mario games.

with those 3/4 things I would enjoy this game as much as how much I enjoyed Melee, or even more.
And personally, I don't think that the casual audience would have any problem with those features.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
I see Sakurai's point, the most important thing for him and Nintendo is to make money if they did a smash game that only some 100 thousand played they would not have much profit, that's the sad truth but you never know

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Dude, SSB4 is considered to be great. Same with Brawl. It's just the measly one percent that cares about stuff like this. Smash always has, and always will be casual focused. Until you can make a game where the two can peacefully coexist, "Have you ever made a game?" will be true. Melee was indeed a failure in this regard, by the way.
Casual focused? You know casual players don't give a crap and probably don't even remember Brawl? Casual players are like my girlfriend who played Brawl once, laughed at it's ridiculousness, and never ever played it again. Melee sold over 9 milion copies and everyone loved it and played it with friends and family. No one took it seriously except for that small percent, it was loved just like every other game in the franchise. You're not casual and neither is anyone else who registers on this website. "failure" seriously you need to stop trying so hard. If you were bad at it that's your fault. Casual players won't care if they win or lose.

Last edited:

Ultra_

Smash Rookie
I wonder if anyone has ever told Sakurai to his face that Smash has always been a franchise that new players can pick up and play.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Dude, SSB4 is considered to be great. Same with Brawl. It's just the measly one percent that cares about stuff like this. Smash always has, and always will be casual focused. Until you can make a game where the two can peacefully coexist, "Have you ever made a game?" will be true. Melee was indeed a failure in this regard, by the way.
lol dude just shut up. if this guy hadn't ever said a word about anything then none of this stuff would have ever crossed your mind. melee wasn't a failure in anything, you don't have the slightest clue as to what you're saying half of the time.

half of you just argue with yourselves lol

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
brawl was terrible sorry. random tripping ruined the game
For the one percent. Everybody else barely noticed it's inclusion.

He's just saying that there's more competitive tailored games out there. Which is true. If you're still complaining that Smash isn't competitive enough, you're looking in the wrong place for it.

Sakurai is tsundere lol :chuckle:

"I won't make any other balance patch!"
"Well, maybe, we could do it in the future, but they are not important"
That was yet another mistranslated article. He just repeated what he actually said.

Casual focused? You know casual players don't give a crap and probably don't even remember Brawl? Casual players are like my girlfriend who played Brawl once, laughed at it's ridiculousness, and never ever played it again. Melee sold over 9 milion copies and everyone loved it and played it with friends and family. No one took it seriously except for that small percent, it was loved just like every other game in the franchise. You're not casual and neither is anyone else who registers on this website. "failure" seriously you need to stop trying so hard. If you were bad at it that's your fault. Casual players won't care if they win or lose.
Have you ever seen the two sides interact? It doesn't matter how well it sold, the game basically became that overly complex fighting game it was specifically made not to be. People essentially become shut out of the game because they want to win, but they want to play a game that didn't require much harder execution then it did at casual play.

I wonder if anyone has ever told Sakurai to his face that Smash has always been a franchise that new players can pick up and play.
Can't just pick up competitive Melee, while you can with SSB4. That's the point.

lol dude just shut up. if this guy hadn't ever said a word about anything then none of this stuff would have ever crossed your mind. melee wasn't a failure in anything, you don't have the slightest clue as to what you're saying half of the time.

half of you just argue with yourselves lol
I've been saying this for years, so...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Sakurai is the developer that i appreciate, but not the one that i want.

SleezyWeezel

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0404-7056-2030
Sakurai is the developer that i appreciate, but not the one that i want.
I feel ya, I wish we really had a more competent director. I don't mean to be super rude or anything but Sakurai is kind of washed up as a developer at this point. He was amazing with 64 and Melee but then his views just started to suck and affected like half of the Smash community because he implemented his views into Brawl. I can't really talk much about Smash 4 because it's still young but so far i just can't get into it and i hate to say it but it feels like Brawl 2.0

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
For the one percent. Everybody else barely noticed it's inclusion.

He's just saying that there's more competitive tailored games out there. Which is true. If you're still complaining that Smash isn't competitive enough, you're looking in the wrong place for it.

That was yet another mistranslated article. He just repeated what he actually said.

Have you ever seen the two sides interact? It doesn't matter how well it sold, the game basically became that overly complex fighting game it was specifically made not to be. People essentially become shut out of the game because they want to win, but they want to play a game that didn't require much harder execution then it did at casual play.

Can't just pick up competitive Melee, while you can with SSB4. That's the point.

I've been saying this for years, so...
years? nah u prob started saying it when brawl came out seeing as how your profile indicates you didn't really play melee much.

also you realize there is no casual side arguing on the internet? you think a casual player is sitting on smashboards in their sparetime? more proof you're clueless.

Raykushi

Smash Cadet
"Mmm. Personally, I feel that ... If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future. If we direct Smash ONLY at the competitive players, it will have no future.""

Oh you mean like how Melee had no future among casual and competitive players.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who doesn't care what Sakurai said?
No,you aren't.I think it dosen't really matter either.

First off, comparing video games to food is straight up ********. One is a means of simple entertainment and the other is means of survival.
I can't help but point out that Sakurai did it himself.Not trying to start anything.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
years? nah u prob started saying it when brawl came out seeing as how your profile indicates you didn't really play melee much.

also you realize there is no casual side arguing on the internet? you think a casual player is sitting on smashboards in their sparetime? more proof you're clueless.
I've played plenty of Melee with Wavedashing and the like, but it never really stuck because all the good characters were all too similar.

But I've been saying it since I've read about Sakurai veiws during Melee's time. Didn't say it here, but I was always saying L-canceling and the like would be dropped like a hot stone.

Did I say it'd have to be Smashboards? #clueless

"Mmm. Personally, I feel that ... If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future. If we direct Smash ONLY at the competitive players, it will have no future.""
Oh you mean like how Melee had no future among casual and competitive players.
"If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future." is crossed out, dude. It's a mistranslation. "If we direct Smash ONLY at competitive players, it has no future" is 100% true. After all, that's the philosophy that created Smash in the first place.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
I've played plenty of Melee with Wavedashing and the like, but it never really stuck because all the good characters were all too similar.

But I've been saying it since I've read about Sakurai veiws during Melee's time. Didn't say it here, but I was always saying L-canceling and the like would be dropped like a hot stone.

Did I say it'd have to be Smashboards? #clueless

"If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future." is crossed out, dude. It's a mistranslation. "If we direct Smash ONLY at competitive players, it has no future" is 100% true. After all, that's the philosophy that created Smash in the first place.
doesnt matter. casual players don't care if they win or lose and they're not hanging on gaming blogs or forums with a dedicated intent to argue about smash brothers lol. melee is just more fun and exciting, i dont even know how to do those techs and it's still 10x more fun with friends because we like fast fighting games. brawl is slow and boring and smash 4 is the same way. i agree smash 4 has a better balance in the characters, but that doesn't amount to much when half of the matches online everyone is just doing keepaway/projectile spam/rolling. its boring. end of story. rolling is too safe and your shield can withstand a nuke and not break.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
doesnt matter. casual players don't care if they win or lose and they're not hanging on gaming blogs or forums with a dedicated intent to argue about smash brothers lol. melee is just more fun and exciting, i dont even know how to do those techs and it's still 10x more fun with friends because we like fast fighting games. brawl is slow and boring and smash 4 is the same way. i agree smash 4 has a better balance in the characters, but that doesn't amount to much when half of the matches online everyone is just doing keepaway/projectile spam/rolling. its boring. end of story. rolling is too safe and your shield can withstand a nuke and not break.
No, casual players are everywhere, and they do indeed care if they lose. A casual player doesn't have to be some kid who buys the game on a whim, it can be an adult who's kept hawk-eyes on the game since it's announcement. In this situation, a casual player is somebody not interested in competing in tournaments or online. And if a casual player is asked to choose between Brawl and Melee for the mechanics, they will overwhelmingly choose Brawl for things such as buffering and rolls that aren't clunky garbage.

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
Right, being able to wave dash and do it consistently took some getting used to, especially with the crappy r and l gamecube buttons, which is exactly why there was such a large disparity between casuals and pros. But also exactly why it needed to be removed from the game. You can still play competitively in any sport or game as long as there is care towards balance, and that is largely why your complaints largely fall on deaf ears, although I'll agree that brawl took out a little too much. But melee was also too fast, another factor contributing to imbalance between characters.
I'm not complaining exactly... I'm more trying to clarify, or trying to make clear a specific difference in competitive depth. Smooth lander and the gravity thing are gimmicks and not true depth.They make the game faster, sure, but without the curve of reward for players who take the time to learn aand perfect a difficult AT.
I agree when it comes to wavedashing taking skill to master, but how do you know competitive players don't want this mode? D1, VGBootCamp, Papapainvids, TKBreezy, and many others like it and think it should be tested. Just saying "competitive players don't want a "custom item" easy button" that doesn't prove your point at all. this mode pretty much targets more to not only most of the Melee players, but also players who like fast-paced, aggressive type gameplay. I will admit, this mode ruins the balance a little, but I don't think that's a bad thing!
You're right, I shouldn't speak for other players. As I said, I just find these customs to be a gimmick, and the suggestion to add them to competitive play and call it more like melee is, in my opinion, deluded.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Casuals still played melee. The game being more "hardcore" doesn't stop them from enjoying it. It's bull**** logic.
So true, and I think that all the time.

ONCE YOU FKN TURN ON ITEMS, IT BECOMES A CASUAL GAME.

JEEZUS. SAKURAI YOU NEED MENTAL HELP.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
I regret purchasing and supporting smash 4 now -_-.
This is probably the stupidest comment in this whole thread. If this makes you regret purchasing and supporting Smash 4 then don't consider yourself a Smash fan. Smash 4 has alot of great things about it with very minor things that aren't so great. But overall, it's an amazing game. A huge step up from Brawl but that's my opinion.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
No, casual players are everywhere, and they do indeed care if they lose. A casual player doesn't have to be some kid who buys the game on a whim, it can be an adult who's kept hawk-eyes on the game since it's announcement. In this situation, a casual player is somebody not interested in competing in tournaments or online. And if a casual player is asked to choose between Brawl and Melee for the mechanics, they will overwhelmingly choose Brawl for things such as buffering and rolls that aren't clunky garbage.
those aren't casual players, they're low skilled players. sorry mate but a casual player doesn't care about winning or losing a game of smash, and they're def not on forums or blogs writing about video games.

now if you'l excuse me, i have to go shield roll to the post office.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing was discovered and first used because of items. Yeah, no.
and real quick, shut up about wave dashing. literally no one i knew who played melee back in the day knew what techs were or wavedashing. we still stomped each other for fun. saying it ruined the game is a clear indicator of your BS level being obscenely high.

Last edited:

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Lancer you're giving everyone cancer with your posts of idiocy.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
those aren't casual players, they're low skilled players. sorry mate but a casual player doesn't care about winning or losing a game of smash, and they're def not on forums or blogs writing about video games.

now if you'l excuse me, i have to go shield roll to the post office.
Heh, just ask who's a casual player in the social topics, and ask if they're interested in winning.

and real quick, shut up about wave dashing. literally no one i knew who played melee back in the day knew what techs were or wavedashing. we still stomped each other for fun. saying it ruined the game is a clear indicator of your BS level being obscenely high.
When the two groups are forced together, there's usually conflict. People, given the option, would much rather complain about something they can't overcome then actually overcome it. Like the rampant rolling complaints. Do you really think we need more to complain about?

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Heh, just ask who's a casual player in the social topics, and ask if they're interested in winning.

When the two groups are forced together, there's usually conflict. People, given the option, would much rather complain about something they can't overcome then actually overcome it. Like the rampant rolling complaints. Do you really think we need more to complain about?
ROFLMAO no one on this site is a casual player. casual seems to be your nice way of saying low skilled, like i said. if you think casual players are chillen on smashboards, you're socially out of touch.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867

Overcome? What is Smash supposed to be, our dayjob? It's a friggin game for fun, and if it's not fun, it's not fun. Kinda like how Mega Man X7 sucks, why should I play it?

Seriously, just stop talking...my god

Slugginz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slugginz
I think it's upsetting that Sakurai still doesn't embrace the competitive fan-base and goes as far to suggest that other fighting games are more suited to that audience, in actuality though I don't think it's as big a deal people are suggesting. He made Smash 4 with that mindset and (at least in my opinion) it is a competitively viable game.

If this statement by Sakurai has made you hate or dislike him then that's fine, I understand why it's frustrating. For me personally however I feel that the newest game did offer a competitive edge so the future of Smash is not detrimental to the audience it is directed at.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Lancer you're giving everyone cancer with your posts of idiocy.
Somebody beat you to the joke months ago. Although for Kid Icarus instead of Smash.

Funny story, my sign is Cancer, and Kid Icarus has weapons based off of the signs. Lancer rimes with cancer, so...

ROFLMAO no one on this site is a casual player. casual seems to be your nice way of saying low skilled, like i said. if you think casual players are chillen on smashboards, you're socially out of touch.
Ask right now. Ask, oh say, BluePikmin.

Overcome? What is Smash supposed to be, our dayjob? It's a friggin game for fun, and if it's not fun, it's not fun. Kinda like how Mega Man X7 sucks, why should I play it?

So, people aren't supposed to overcome things in video games? Heh, guess you don't like overcomeing the technical barrier to Wavedash.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac

Are you.. Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration's? :troll:

Seriously though.. I agree.

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Somebody beat you to the joke months ago. Although for Kid Icarus instead of Smash.

Funny story, my sign is Cancer, and Kid Icarus has weapons based off of the signs. Lancer rimes with cancer, so...

So, people aren't supposed to overcome things in video games? Heh, guess you don't like overcomeing the technical barrier to Wavedash.
i aint asking squat. if you registered on smash boards and spend time out of your day discussing the games and looking to improve you sure as hell arent casual. seriously, plz try and resist the urge to respond with more bs.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867

Dude I'm not playing in tournaments so no one I know wave dashes. Literally, no one did when Melee came out and no one cares. You spend too much time here.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Of course he is different, not only is he older he is working under drastically different conditions than he was when he worked on Melee, he has a bigger team and he has to make sure both sides of the fanbase enjoy the game.
Sorry for the long reply, I forgot to reply to this. I said he was different vision-wise. I don't mean eyesight vision but how he views Smash in general. I can't see someone who intended for wave dashing to be in Melee to take such a 180 and say competitive players should go and seek out competitive fighters since there is no value at making a competitive game (League of Legends say Hello). Umm, but Sakurai did not consider both fanbases equally so this continued to segregate both sides of the fanbase or forced one side to play more casually which makes both sides into one (most likely Sakurai's intention). He shows his nods to the Melee fanbase by incorporating Omega mode, and adding in characters from Melee (Dr. Mario and soon to be Mewtwo) but if I'm trying to understand the Melee community those nods are appreciated but were never required in the first place. What mattered to them most was the gameplay and Smash 4 didn't meet their expectations.

Sakurai did the following:

1) Attempt to create a game where the community became one. This eliminates the spirit of competition so it's no stretch to say that Smash 4 became more of a party game over a fighter (even though a part of the community fought for Smash to be a fighting game)

2) Create an oversimplistic game that can be easy to pick up while removing almost everything that required an iota of mental power. Removing options removes depth which will end up creating a stale experience. I can guarantee if more future DLC isn't planned this game isn't going to have a big lifespan.

There's probably more but those are the most notable ones. Sakurai didn't intend for it but he created even more of a rift between competitive and casuals (which is obvious in the flame posts of this thread). This is why knowing your player demographics are important but someone on this thread stated that Sakurai's main focus was Japanese players (whom are pretty tame and accepting of anything) so if Smash 4 was mainly geared for that audience I can't exactly complain.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Adding more options to a game doesn't mean that the game will have more depth.

Sakurai, when he is talking about competitive fighting games, seems to be referring more to the amount of technical skill needed.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
i aint asking squat. if you registered on smash boards and spend time out of your day discussing the games and looking to improve you sure as hell arent casual. seriously, plz try and resist the urge to respond with more bs.
Heh, I can't stop laughing. You are currently on a largely casual site, and most people sign up because of hype and leave a month later. Take a look at the post after yours, he doesn't believe skill barriers should be a thing.

Dude I'm not playing in tournaments so no one I know wave dashes. Literally, no one did when Melee came out and no one cares. You spend too much time here.
You can bet that you would of been if Melee had online. Don't believe me? So much as mention Snaking and people know you're talking about MKDS. People say that players mostly wouldn't Wavedash online if SSB4 had it, but that's a lie. MK Double Dash as Snaking just powerful, if not moreso, then DS and yet it was basically impossible to find a non-Snaking match.

Sorry for the long reply, I forgot to reply to this. I said he was different vision-wise. I don't mean eyesight vision but how he views Smash in general. I can't see someone who intended for wave dashing to be in Melee to take such a 180 and say competitive players should go and seek out competitive fighters since there is no value at making a competitive game (League of Legends say Hello). Umm, but Sakurai did not consider both fanbases equally so this continued to segregate both sides of the fanbase or forced one side to play more casually which makes both sides into one (most likely Sakurai's intention). He shows his nods to the Melee fanbase by incorporating Omega mode, and adding in characters from Melee (Dr. Mario and soon to be Mewtwo) but if I'm trying to understand the Melee community those nods are appreciated but were never required in the first place. What mattered to them most was the gameplay and Smash 4 didn't meet their expectations.

Sakurai did the following:

1) Attempt to create a game where the community became one. This eliminates the spirit of competition so it's no stretch to say that Smash 4 became more of a party game over a fighter (even though a part of the community fought for Smash to be a fighting game)

2) Create an oversimplistic game that can be easy to pick up while removing almost everything that required an iota of mental power. Removing options removes depth which will end up creating a stale experience. I can guarantee if more future DLC isn't planned this game isn't going to have a big lifespan.

There's probably more but those are the most notable ones. Sakurai didn't intend for it but he created even more of a rift between competitive and casuals (which is obvious in the flame posts of this thread). This is why knowing your player demographics are important but someone on this thread stated that Sakurai's main focus was Japanese players (whom are pretty tame and accepting of anything) so if Smash 4 was mainly geared for that audience I can't exactly complain.
Brawl lasted up untill about a year ago. And now Nintendo is supporting tournaments. It'll last a looong time.

Top Bottom