• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai focuses on one thing...Neglects another?

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
The thing about Assist Trophies is that they weren't planned on being playable characters. Why does everyone seem to see them as a bad thing!
Yes! Some sense. I think people are getting paranoid :psycho:. Sheesh, this is what it does when it just gets pushed back two months...

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Sakurai can't fulfill everyone's perfect wish (mine is Ridley). And don't forget, we have no idea how many characters are in this game, so SHUT UP! You can't complain until you play (in most cases).
And to the guy not for FS's, what is wrong with you?
For fans of that little starfish who most of you don't even know, I feel sorry.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Stafy wouldn't have a moveset. That's why he's an AT.
Someone agrees. And if anyone could think of Stafy's or any other AT's moveset, then I may agree with you. Otherwise, there are 40+ characters for you to choose.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Someone agrees. And if anyone could think of Stafy's or any other AT's moveset, then I may agree with you. Otherwise, there are 40+ characters for you to choose.
Simply well said. We have other options. These options are characters who are really huge in Nintendo's history. Stafy is only popular in Japan and his game isn't much to show him a potential moveset. Plus, do you know how much data it takes to incorporate one character to interact with every detail they have, from the SSE to the multi-playing mode, to even target test. Its not easy programming it to be just right. That's what people are mislead. If they think characters are easy to program, go ahead and show us yourself. If you can't, then be quiet and enjoy Brawl as it comes.

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
PITforREV - seriously? wow...just think of marvel vs capcom 2 - TONS of characters, some clones (wolverine), hardly any replay value. why? little to no extras (costumes/stages). i dont think you want brawl to end up like that.

i'd rather have brawl have as many features as possible than characters.

and stop worrying...the game will be amazingly good regardless of how many characters it has. so what if sheik, geno, dr mario or whomever doesnt make it in...it will be FANTASTICALLY fun and good to play nonetheless.

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
I'm sorry, but kill yourself....there are a bunch of people that would love to play as Stafy including myself...thats a ridiculous statement to make and makes you look very ignorant, sir.
and honestly, i agree with him. i would imagine heaps of more people wanting to play as pit, mario, and link, and even ike than stafy. i mean, he would be a cool addition, but im sure more people would play the characters they love/know more.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
They've been working on this game since 2005. It's 2008. They don't need extra development time for Characters.
It's not 2008....yet.:cool:

And if that's the case, then there really is absolutely NO excuse what so ever to not having at least thirty five characters on the Brawl roster or over.

Don't dissapoint me Sakurai.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
and honestly, i agree with him. i would imagine heaps of more people wanting to play as pit, mario, and link, and even ike than stafy. i mean, he would be a cool addition, but im sure more people would play the characters they love/know more.
well duh, but this isnt a thread just exclaiming the want for starfy, its the fact that major AT could've been playable characters

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
This bothers me....Are we not going to include characters now becasue alot of people would rather play as someone else....check what you said man, your logics flawed. Because, if thats the case then maybe game and watch should never have been in the game, same goes for jigglypuff, you konw, becuase alot of people would rather play as mario than jiggglypuff.

Whats wrong with wanting more characters?!? Earlier someone claimed that they would enojoy jsut the 23 characters we already have...As true as that may be, wouldn't you enjoy teh game more with 35 characters....and even more with 45??
The more the merrier, right?

TMS

Smash Journeyman
This bothers me....Are we not going to include characters now becasue alot of people would rather play as someone else....
Yes.

same goes for jigglypuff, you konw, becuase alot of people would rather play as mario than jiggglypuff.
Not Pokemon fans.

Whats wrong with wanting more characters?!?
Because there will be enough.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
I created this thread to express a fear I have regarding numerous things that have been revealed....

The basis of this thread is this: Is Sakurai wasting development time on things like mini-games, assist trophies, and stickers and thus neglecting the creation of characters or other unique features that could me implemented.

I'll start by saying this...In my opinion, if the trophy game and stickers got in the way of developing even ONE character, I'd be disappointed. Yes, I would prefer to have a single character at the expense of stickers and the trophy game.

Second, assist trophies...With all these models of great characters I asked myself this question....Would I have rather had them not include assist trophies, if that meant a few of those characters could have been playable fighters? Oh hell yea. If not having assist trophies meant having little mac, samuraih goroh, and starfy as playable characters, I wouldn't think twice-Give me three more characters and away with the assist trophies-great idea, but I'll take the characters-Hell, I'd even go as far to say even for JUST little mac and Starfy....

Drop stickers and give me more color choices.....Drop a mini-game give me unique target breaks...

I feel like Sakurai's trying to implement so much, he may be limiting his own playable roster.
stickers and tropheys add replay, what good is a few new characters with out things to accomplish with them. i can see what you are saying but i dont agree, i would rather have a large, and well thought out roster with extras, then a huge roster of pretty much anyone, and no extras...

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
Just because Sakurai hasn't updated a character in a while doesn't mean he's only focusing on mini-games and such. He just doesn't plan to reveal them at this time. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean its a horrible thing to have in the game. Many people will probably enjoy it...jeez

He's working hard on both things, mark my words

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
A big factor in making Smash chracters, I imagine, is variety in moveset. The sword guys, due to how you can use a sword have a lot of variety (and Link and such have gadgets). But people only think of special moves. What about standard ones? Final Smashes? Jumping capability and other such stats? It's a huge effort, sometimes met with limited success.

For instance, Little Mac. I LOVE Punchout. But darn if he wouldn't be boring to think up a GOOD moveset for. He's a boxer, so for his character, all he CAN do is punch you. There is NO variety there. So I can see why they made him an assist trophy.

Waluigi, on the other hand, has plenty of variety, but not enough want. So it goes both ways.

In the end, I'm satisfied with every choice made in the game so far.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
you're really quite stupid for thinking the way you do, you can't see the bigger picture. I can't imagine reading the 248 posts that were written by you narrow minded person

TMS

Smash Journeyman
Well, wouldn't F-zero fans rather play as samuraih goroh than mario?? Wouldn't fire emblem fans rather play as Lyn than mario?? Yeeeaaa make a little more of a convinving arguement before you post. Thanks. :)
Jigglypuff popularity(back in the day) owns Goroh's popularity.
and you know this how
Because there's already enough, not to mention the shoe-in veterans.

Tpoto

Smash Cadet
guys. U realize that he isn't on a time limit? If he really needed to he could just delay again, and we would all still buy the game...

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
you're really quite stupid for thinking the way you do, you can't see the bigger picture. I can't imagine reading the 248 posts that were written by you narrow minded person
This post is completely unnecessary and you are really quite stupid for thinking it is.

I share a concern of mine, and you decide to belittle me.

I am narrow minded becuase I presonally feel that sakurai spends too much time on certain things and neglects more important ones? You are narrow minded for judging me in such a way.

I understand" the bigger picture". Unique movesets,well thought out characters, etc..But, in my opinion I think some other characters are just as deserving adn I think they can only better the game. Theres nothign narrow-minded about that statement. You must be a lonely man off of these forums.

Rodent23

Smash Cadet
The game's gonna be fine. He's got a huge development team and he's had about 3 years on it, so he would've gotten in everything he wanted. And by the looks of things, he's going by what we want, not what he thinks we want.

*CoughTWILIGHTPRINCESScough*

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Second, assist trophies...With all these models of great characters I asked myself this question....Would I have rather had them not include assist trophies, if that meant a few of those characters could have been playable fighters? Oh hell yea. If not having assist trophies meant having little mac, samuraih goroh, and starfy as playable characters, I wouldn't think twice-Give me three more characters and away with the assist trophies-great idea, but I'll take the characters-Hell, I'd even go as far to say even for JUST little mac and Starfy....
Thank god you are nowhere near the development team for this game. Dropping the 50+ assist trophies (and the nostalgia/trophies that will come with them) for a couple of third-tier nobodies in the playable roster would be a terrible move. Things like assist trophies, final smashes, trophies, stickers, snapshot mode, spectator mode, alternate costumes, etc, are the little things that mark the difference between a good game and an epic game, which SSBB will be.

Brawl most likely has the highest production value of any Nintendo game ever.
QFT x about 100

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I like a lot of characters as much as the other guy and I think less then 40 characters will be disappointing but how boring will the game be without stage builder, epic story mode, or any other bonus feature Brawl has. Sakurai has plenty of time to put every thing that he wants in the game with the huge staff and time he had to work on it. If Sakurai thought the game felt unfinished then we will see a delay update on the dojo I am sure.

As for AT, they are one of the things that make this game not melee 2.0. AT are designed to include as many characters as possible without making them a PC. I think with this being possibly the last smash game for Sakurai he wanted to include as much characters as possible to make this installment in the series the best installment ever.

Lexl5

Smash Journeyman
More features are fine. This has an almost record breaking team working on it. their will be plenty of characters, stages, the online will be as good as nintendo can get.
In other words, don't complain. ;)

BTW, Soviet, beautiful sig. who made that, sugarpoultry?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
As fun as it is to think Sakurai does everything, there are more than likely different teams of people working on different aspects of the game. The people who are making characters are making all the characters they can. You have other people in charge of stickers and extra modes. They won't be affecting the final amount of characters.

BUM163

Smash Lord
terrocon blot... i just read ur post about lil mac being a boxer n would have no variety, cuz he's a boxer. lol thatz a stupid comment 2 say. he would of been completely different in the smash world n thatz wat it about. look at marth, he's a swordsman n all he uses is a sword. the only time he uses a part of his body is when he grabs. when people say oh they couldn't think of a good moveset 4 that character.... look at fox. that guy stood in the arwing all the time till fox adventures n captain falcon was a racer on f zero lol. boxers tend 2 b the most use in any fightin game. tekken 5 was steve. street fighter 2 was barlog n alpha. street fighter 3rd strike was dudley. when people say starfy wasn't possible, look at kirby.... he's a head, lil arms n big feet. anything is possible, but itz up 2 the developer imagination, whether he can make that character playable or not. plain n simple mother suckas lol

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
More features are fine. This has an almost record breaking team working on it. their will be plenty of characters, stages, the online will be as good as nintendo can get.
In other words, don't complain. ;)

BTW, Soviet, beautiful sig. who made that, sugarpoultry?

Sugarpoultry did, and it's one of the best sigs that someone else has made for me on any site, very well done.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
As fun as it is to think Sakurai does everything, there are more than likely different teams of people working on different aspects of the game. The people who are making characters are making all the characters they can. You have other people in charge of stickers and extra modes. They won't be affecting the final amount of characters.
I wholeheartedly agree with this man. The fact that this game includes tons of extra modes and new features doesn't mean there aren't enough resources for characters, stages and such. This game is being developed by a HUGE team and they've had a lot of time to work on it.

I can see what the OP means concerning the Assist trophies. Why not make more full characters and less trophies? Assist trophies AREN'T necessarily taking up time that could be used making characters. I feel that they are being added to an already massive roster of characters because they aren't important enough to be characters themselves or because the full roster was decided before Assist trophies were added.

M.K

Level 55
The size of his development team should be taken into account...

He might've had 10 (proportionally) working on the Coin Launcher, but he's had 100 (PROPORTIONALLY) working on characters.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Smash Bros. is like an interactive encyclopedia of Nintendo history that you slowly uncover on top of being an awesome fighter. I enjoy the other content in Melee and will in Brawl as well. Don't worry about stickers taking up valuable production time, they just use art from manuals and strategy guides and stuff for them. My Music is an entirely different department altogether. And I'm sure they have someone else working the trophy dioramas. Huge staff anyways who all work their own parts of the game.

Black/Light

Smash Master
To stop most of the useless post here. . .

YES!!! Alot of people where hoping for Stafy to pull a FE in-order to bring the series here, stop talking about how unpopular/ wanted he was or how your tiny mind can't think of a move-set for him!

Sorry but that had to be said. . . .

Now, back to my point. I will say right now that I don't know everything about the VG buzz but theres one thing I do know from being in a major thats closely related to Game Design. . . .it's that people are directly given different jobs to do for big projects inorder to make the project come out smoother.

Ya know who could be the guys making the stickers? The newbies who just got out of school or some side person. They ARE NOT going to have their character people working on small side things such as that. It's like what my life drawing teacher told me. . . "When you all get out of school they are not going to hire you for some top class, important stuff. They are going to have you model that bottle or lamp in the bar room or something because thats what they have new people out of school do".

In other words, they are not going to have their top people do all the lil things. They are going to have other people who don't do the character stuff do things like the coin shooter or the ATs. I wouldn't be shocked if a group of 10 people are doing these things. . . .only 2 ATs even look like they could have been characters so those models probly didn't take long.

So no matter what they do with the side, small things the top character making people would still only make soo many characters unless they hired more people.

supergamer

Smash Cadet
Don't forget brawl is a multiplayer game and for that you need people to play with because playing aginst a computer gets old fast. So I happy with the little things that are being added to brawl

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Nah, don't worry. He knows we want characters, he's a smart man. All this other stuff is because at a certain point(40-45 chars) you have to stop throwing characters into this game and add other features, esdpecially with all that extra time.

But once again, don't worry. No matter who's in, this game will be epic.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
I created this thread to express a fear I have regarding numerous things that have been revealed....

The basis of this thread is this: Is Sakurai wasting development time on things like mini-games, assist trophies, and stickers and thus neglecting the creation of characters or other unique features that could me implemented.

I'll start by saying this...In my opinion, if the trophy game and stickers got in the way of developing even ONE character, I'd be disappointed. Yes, I would prefer to have a single character at the expense of stickers and the trophy game.

Drop stickers and give me more color choices.....Drop a mini-game give me unique target breaks...

I feel like Sakurai's trying to implement so much, he may be limiting his own playable roster.
Someone doesn't understand how game developement works.

The person who makes characters is not the person who makes trophies. This person is not the person who makes stickers. And that guy doesn't work on assist trophies. That would be ineffcient and stupid. And games would take YEARS to make. The different parts of game developement are broken up amongst the people working on it.

Now, as for ATs affecting rosters. Learn something. The developers already decided, LONG in advance, who they wanted in the game. ATs aren't ATs because they didn't have time to make them characters, they're ATs because the developers decided they didn't want them to be characters. Look at Samurai ****ing Goroh. He was an AT LONG before the game came out. If they wanted him to be a character, he would have been.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but a game that only allows you do one thing (in this case, fight) becomes repetitive surprisingly quickly.

You need things such as stickers and trophies to give the game a bit of variety once in a while.

Top Bottom