• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai focuses on one thing...Neglects another?

orintemple

Smash Lord
Added to what all of the people who understand game development:

This game has been in development for years. They were starting ideas for this once they decided to make a 3rd game, which was probably very quickly after Melee was released. They have had a long time to think of every possible thing to add. There will be nothing missing on accident. When the game comes out it will be as good as Sakurai imagined it to be, until he finds a flaw. All artists find flaws in their own work after studying it for some time, but this will be what he wants when it comes out.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
terrocon blot... i just read ur post about lil mac being a boxer n would have no variety, cuz he's a boxer. lol thatz a stupid comment 2 say. he would of been completely different in the smash world n thatz wat it about. look at marth, he's a swordsman n all he uses is a sword. the only time he uses a part of his body is when he grabs. when people say oh they couldn't think of a good moveset 4 that character.... look at fox. that guy stood in the arwing all the time till fox adventures n captain falcon was a racer on f zero lol. boxers tend 2 b the most use in any fightin game. tekken 5 was steve. street fighter 2 was barlog n alpha. street fighter 3rd strike was dudley. when people say starfy wasn't possible, look at kirby.... he's a head, lil arms n big feet. anything is possible, but itz up 2 the developer imagination, whether he can make that character playable or not. plain n simple mother suckas lol
Bad analogy, I'd say. Those characters aren't limited to certain types of attacks like Little Mac is. He observes boxing regulations, and as such, can only use his fists. No kicks. No grabs. It would suck.

Marth uses a sword, yes, but he's not restricted by any regulations. Neither is Fox.

Pulse

Smash Apprentice
If Goroh couldn't make the cut, then this game is going to be HUGE. All said, I think that Saki, Deoxys, Waluigi, Little Mac and Goroh will be in SSB4. For now we just get a taste of them. ;)

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
he probably has already all characters created maybe all 30 or 40 and he doesn't want to reveal them maybe he wants to reveal them last and get all the bad stuff over with!?

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
If Goroh couldn't make the cut, then this game is going to be HUGE. All said, I think that Saki, Deoxys, Waluigi, Little Mac and Goroh will be in SSB4. For now we just get a taste of them. ;)
he is probably just focusing on the important characters not minor characters!!

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Since Sora is probably split into different teams working on different things, I honestly don't know what the problem is. By acting as if the same people who are responsible for making playable characters are also responsible for making stickers and the coin launcher, you just show that you don't know anything about the structure of a development team. It's also just another way of questioning Sakurai.

Brawl most likely has the highest production value of any Nintendo game ever. Why keep worrying about "what could be" or "what could have been?" Sakurai is not a fool, he wants the game to be the best it can be. And, in order to do that, he can't just take the longest-lasting aspect from Melee and make a whole game based on that alone; he has to take everything from previous Smash games and just improve it. So far, that looks like what he's done. More and better items (including ATs), better single-player Adventure Mode, co-op capable events and stadium games, etc.

People aren't always around to play Smash Brothers with. That's why there's an improved focus on single-player this time around. Sakurai doesn't want to exclude any audience that he doesn't have to, and by directing his team to make single-player modes and features more robust, he's both making unlocking characters/features more enjoyable and making the game as enjoyable alone as with friends.

In my mind, to completely eliminate all ATs and minigames (coin launcher for example) in order to fit one or two more playable characters in is silly anyway. By doing such a thing Sakurai and his team really would just be making Melee 2.0, which is what most honest Smash fans don't really want after having played Melee for six or more years. I also don't see as much potential for good press in a Brawl that doesn't try hard enough to differentiate itself from its predecessor, and we all know that press is important towards this game getting the recognition it deserves.
This is exactly what I was going to reply with. The people that design characters, movesets, animations, etc. are different from those that do other things like stickers (which are highly simplistic to add, just cut out pictures that have been used for ads and screenshots), trophies, minigames, etc.

You people act like Sakurai is the only person working on the game, and he has to do everything himself. There is a large group of people making this game so everything that needs to be made probably will be. Characters were made into AT instead of playable characters for one reason or another. Either Sakurai thought they would be too similar to other characters, they would have a limited moveset, or they would just be less interesting then other characters they had planned.

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
The way some of you are talking, it seems like you would rather NOT have samuraih goroh , lyn, little mac, or Stafy in it. Like if they gave you a roster of 40 and a roster of 44 includign those 4, you would go with the one with 40. Blows me away

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
The way some of you are talking, it seems like you would rather NOT have samuraih goroh , lyn, little mac, or Stafy in it. Like if they gave you a roster of 40 and a roster of 44 includign those 4, you would go with the one with 40. Blows me away
You seem to be on the side of quantity not quality.

Ok, a better scenario.
Let's say a game was very disappointing, it had characters of low standards but it had a roster of 50.

Now, another game which is a lot more anticipated, only has 20-25 characters, but every character is unique and sufficient in so many ways.

Which game would you choose, A or B?

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Everyone wants those characters in, but we can only have so many. These characters aren't quite important enough or popular enough to get their own slot in the roster.

Rash

Smash Ace
If Sakurai and Sora would prefer to develop 40 focuses characters rather than throwing in four extra ones to possibly upset the game's balance, that's their decision. Obviously they know what's right.

To agree with others, in Brawl, particularly, I would take 30 focused PCs over 50 unbalanced ones like in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (even though I loved that game).

Brawl is going for the fairest representation of characters possible. In order for the compromise to work and for everyone to be happy, ATs must exist, otherwise there would be even MORE disappointments by the fans when it came to their most desired inclusions. Is it so wrong to want to take less PCs in order for the game to represent Nintendo's history the best way possible?

Boofer

Smash Ace

Ok, a better scenario.
Let's say a game was very disappointing, it had characters of low standards but it had a roster of 50.
Now, another game which is a lot more anticipated, only has 20-25 characters, but every character is unique and sufficient in so many ways.

Dude, you just said the game was very disappointing, so why would I pick it? Obviously I'm going to pick the one that's not disappointing. Take out the "disappointing" and obviously I would have taken the greater quatity. In the other guys example, there is no suggestion of a loss in quality, just quantity...

Lets look at the clones scenario that you had a hard time understanding yesterday:

Suppose one version of Brawl came out with 25 characters, but no clones.

Now suppose that another version of brawl came out with 35 characters, but the new 10 are all clones. Absolutely everything about the game is the same except for the fact that it has more characters.

You see, obviously anyone with common sense would pick the version with more characters because there is no loss; Only gain. This is the point that was trying to be made in the clones thread, but you kept throwing that quanity versus quality thing in when in reality, the quality would have stayed the same.

Rash

Smash Ace
Yeah, but that argument is kind of messed up. Actually, it's too nonsensical on both ends.

What if the effort to include 10 clones could instead be used to make 5 unique characters instead? Then you'd have one version with 30 focused characters and one with 25 focused characters and 10 clones. That makes more sense to me. Sometimes it can't be made into a simple quality vs. quantity argument.

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman

Ok, a better scenario.

Boofer said:
Dude, you just said the game was very disappointing, so why would I pick it? Obviously I'm going to pick the one that's not disappointing. Take out the "disappointing" and obviously I would have taken the greater quatity. In the other guys example, there is no suggestion of a loss in quality, just quantity...

Lets look at the clones scenario that you had a hard time understanding yesterday:

Suppose one version of Brawl came out with 25 characters, but no clones.

Now suppose that another version of brawl came out with 35 characters, but the new 10 are all clones. Absolutely everything about the game is the same except for the fact that it has more characters.

You see, obviously anyone with common sense would pick the version with more characters because there is no loss; Only gain. This is the point that was trying to be made in the clones thread, but you kept throwing that quanity versus quality thing in when in reality, the quality would have stayed the same.
Quoted for TRUTH.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Yeah, but that argument is kind of messed up. Actually, it's too nonsensical on both ends.

What if the effort to include 10 clones could instead be used to make 5 unique characters instead? Then you'd have one version with 30 focused characters and one with 25 focused characters and 10 clones. That makes more sense to me.
Well, now this is a totally different case. My point before was that there was no mention of quality, just quanity. The Noob Legend quoted the guy about ATs. That guy's point was basically "why are people acting like they'd rather not have the character at all than have it as an AT." There was no mention of having characters AT'd affecting the quality of the game.

Now, imo your scenario is a true quality over quanity debate, and I would choose the 5 unique characters.

Rash

Smash Ace
Pretty much.

Yeah, if there's was no choice to switch of 10 clones for 5 uniques (like in my scenario), and there was just a clear-cut choice between 25 characters with 10 clones or just 25 characters, the obvious choice is the former. A game can't be ruined by having more characters unless the potential for less focused characters is in jeopardy.

supergamer

Smash Cadet
Sure haveing lots of characters would be cool but in the end you would just stick with just on or two of your best players. Also Why have so much characters if most people just use the some ones in competitions.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Sure haveing lots of characters would be cool but in the end you would just stick with just on or two of your best players. Also Why have so much characters if most people just use the some ones in competitions.
Stop saying this like everybody is a competitive player. Not everybody likes to play as the same 2 characters the whole time. That's effing boring.

supergamer

Smash Cadet
Stop saying this like everybody is a competitive player. Not everybody likes to play as the same 2 characters the whole time. That's effing boring.
I'm not saying that everyone is competitive. But it's the truth, in most melee competition
the most charaters that were used were either marth, shiek, or falco.

General Diddy

Smash Apprentice
Childish fears, his team is humongous bigger than any other game. He can have his full roster and little things too. Because little things are what makes the game fun. Collecting Stickers will defintley be a task im expecting 500-700 stickers so it will take a while to catch em all.
Just like pokemon. lol.

quatripain

Smash Journeyman
i think that the last 5 weeks will reveal lots of characters
and the fe 10th update?
master hand

supergamer

Smash Cadet
Ya he might be wasting his time on stupid things like the trophies and stuff, SAKURAI if u got them dam character fleshed just add the dam moves!!!!! Dont make em stupid assist trophies.
That's the thing it's hard coming up with original movesets for characters with out them becoming like another character

supergamer

Smash Cadet
Of course not, the stickers are just a little add on to the game. Thier main focus is making the game flow good

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
All ATs are characters who weren't "good" enough to be playable. If they had enough potential they would have been selected for the roster instead.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Fools do not understand assist trophies.

If they are an assist trophy, they were NEVER considered to be playable. They were added to give that character representation. Do NOT EVER think that a character assigned to be an assist trophy had much chance, IF ANY to be playable.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Are some of you not realizing that samuraih goroh, starfy, lyn, and little mac are all assist trophies!!!!!!!!.....Believe me when I say if assist trophies weren't included at least two of those would proabbly have made the roster. ANd yes, Ill take two characters over assist trophies....Read point two

No, all four of them would have gotten left out. I'm sure Sakurai had his roster done, then wanted to figure out what to do with the guys that didn't make it, and then came up with the idea of Assist Trophies. Seriously, if they had been good enough to be characters, they wouldn't have been ATs in the first place.

Samurai Goroh -should- have been playable, and Lyndis would have been awesome, but maybe Sakurai decided to take out some of the more....generic, I guess you could say(take into account that neither Goroh nor Lyn have a moveset the devs could draw from), sword users, to put in some unique sword users, like Meta Knight, Takamaru, Isaac, WW Link, Ganondorf, etc. that have their own attacks from their respective games. Or something like that, I don't know.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry. This game is going to be amazing no matter what.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Second, assist trophies...With all these models of great characters I asked myself this question....Would I have rather had them not include assist trophies, if that meant a few of those characters could have been playable fighters? Oh hell yea. If not having assist trophies meant having little mac, samuraih goroh, and starfy as playable characters, I wouldn't think twice-Give me three more characters and away with the assist trophies-great idea, but I'll take the characters-Hell, I'd even go as far to say even for JUST little mac and Starfy....
Honestly, I don't know about everyone else but I would MUCH rather have all of the cameos of different AT characters than not having ATs at all but having Waluigi and Stafy playable...

Silfa

Smash Ace
Fools do not understand assist trophies.

If they are an assist trophy, they were NEVER considered to be playable. They were added to give that character representation. Do NOT EVER think that a character assigned to be an assist trophy had much chance, IF ANY to be playable.
Exactly. These characters were never going to be playable, so wouldn't you want to have your character have a bigger inclusion than simply a regular trophy? I also agree with the two posts above mine.

And about Stafy, I'm sure there are people who want to play as him, it's just there are other characters that way out prioritize him in terms of being playable. I'd assume most people would rather play as some like DDD than Stafy. The PCs represent major parts of Nintendo history, they're not thrown in for the sake of it.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
guys. U realize that he isn't on a time limit? If he really needed to he could just delay again, and we would all still buy the game...
I don't concur. He's not in charge entirely over wanting a delay. This is Nintendo's recall. If he doesn't finish something and they want their game out, then he has to take the unfinished parts out (kind of like that rumor about a Fire Emblem stage that never made it into Brawl) and thats when this game is finalize. He's under a timed schedule. All developers are. All students are. All cooks are. All engineers and soldiers are. That's how life runs...on a schedule usually. He's being paid for services and when he can't finish something up to the challenge, he can't really do something about it unless the powers above him desire to add a little more time to the project.

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
With todays sticker update they have shown how much time they've put into the sticker...Specific powers for each one, plus they have to translate those powers into gameplay....

Surely, this had to take some time...So, this in the game or one more playable character? Once again, I'd go with the playable chracter, no questions asked.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Here's a translation of the OP's first post:

Wah! Stafy isn't playable. And I'm dumb enough to believe that the revealed characters are the ONLY characters that's playable. duurrr!

>_>

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
*sigh*

Once again you completely FAIL to understand that not everybody works on the same things in a game project! It doesn't matter if they put that in or not, YOU WON'T GET ANYMORE CHARACTERS THAN WHAT'S ALREADY THERE.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I somewhat agree with the original poster's sentiment. Looking at the sticker update today, there must be hundreds upon hundreds of stickers and trophies and music all lumped together. It dwarves Melee's collectibles, to be sure.

However, if the character roster DOESN'T dwarf Melee's I will feel gypped, like something was excluded at the cost of all these infernal collectibles. I do like collectibles, but they're NO substitute for playable characters. Gameplay is paramount.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
This post is completely unnecessary and you are really quite stupid for thinking it is.

I share a concern of mine, and you decide to belittle me.

I am narrow minded becuase I presonally feel that sakurai spends too much time on certain things and neglects more important ones? You are narrow minded for judging me in such a way.

I understand" the bigger picture". Unique movesets,well thought out characters, etc..But, in my opinion I think some other characters are just as deserving adn I think they can only better the game. Theres nothign narrow-minded about that statement. You must be a lonely man off of these forums.
Your arguement is totally off base, for one.

You've been belitting people in this thread too, so you're hypocritical on that stance. "Dude, just kill yourself...." lolinternetthreat.

Characters are important, but there has to be things that add replay value. If you don't care about the stickers or SSE, or anything of that sort, don't do it. Just do Brawls and unlock everything that way with battle counts like in Melee.

You don't really understand the big picture at all. He's not nearly as narrow minded as you are in thinking that if characters are left out, this game will fail. Not everyone can make the cut, you know. There are limits, but Sakurai is pushing everyone of those. We can give him credit for that.

The big picture is making a game that everyone can enjoy. People have been playing Melee since it came out in 2001. He wants people to be playing this for years to come. Added features keep people interested. It isn't just about characters.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I felt like responding.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I just want one character and one alone and that is Ridley as a playable character.

Anyway, I think Brawl has more things to now than Melee had. SSE, Brawl, Minigames, Trophy collecting, should I go on?

There is so much to do!!!
I'm with this dude.
I want Ridley in, and the game to be fun and so far all the ATs and little features look real fun, so whatever.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
So this would be your menu screen

Play da game

Stage selection
Line stage
Square stage

Character selection 145

no credits to much time

Top Bottom