• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai focuses on one thing...Neglects another?

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
The roster's fine. Ridley is not playable for a reason: because Sakurai and his team concluded he'd function better as a boss. Period. You can argue "TOO BIG FOR BRAWL" or any other buzz phrases until the sun comes up, but the fact remains that they opted not to include him.

Any characters that were excluded probably were with good reason.

Or Brawl was rushed anyway despite several delays and we just weren't informed of it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Kaiser, I would like to apologize to you as I feel I bad mouthed you a couple times, but I am willing to except that I was wrong and you were right. I just hope to see you on the battle field online, so I can pwn your *** with R.O.B. >_<

JPSChampagne

Smash Cadet
The level of miscommunication between Sakurai and the people who even remotely care about Smash Brothers must be absolutely gigantic. For him to think that the things characters would enjoy would be more stickers, trophies, music, and mini games, just boggles the mind.

Has Sakurai ever heard of why anyone plays this game?

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Kaiser, I would like to apologize to you as I feel I bad mouthed you a couple times, but I am willing to except that I was wrong and you were right. I just hope to see you on the battle field online, so I can pwn your *** with R.O.B. >_<
Hey, no apology necessary, from anyone. The roster was too disappointing to want to be acknowleged, and even though I kinda rambled "zomg open your minds to the truth," the fact is most people wouldn't listen and I knew that would happen. It wasn't expected for people to acknowledge something they REALLY despised as what was going to happen...it was too heart breaking.

I myself am more pissed off than I thought I would be due to that Toon Link is a clone, Ganon looks like he will be a clone, and Falco is a semi-clone. Lucario looks like he's amazing to play as to compensate, but at the same time...I was ok with the roster because I was under the impression that we'd get GREAT unlockables to fill in for the small space. The only truly noteworthies now, though, are Sonic, Snake, and Lucario. Everyone else is a freaking clone or a Veteran. >< Rumors that Luigi uses FLUUD don't help my blood to boil any less. A "good" instead of "amazing" roster number's fine by me, but I was hoping he wouldn't be lazy on what was there. At least everyone has unique Final Smashes, barring Falco.

I hope to play ya online. : ) Thankfully, the stage and music selection are effing superb. The possible leaked Boss Rush mode also sounds like a **** good time.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
The level of miscommunication between Sakurai and the people who even remotely care about Smash Brothers must be absolutely gigantic. For him to think that the things characters would enjoy would be more stickers, trophies, music, and mini games, just boggles the mind.

Has Sakurai ever heard of why anyone plays this game?
People of all types play Smash Bros., for a variety of reasons - a competitive game, a party game, Nintendo nostalgia. I'm REALLY hyped about the music myself.

Also, I still don't understand why twelve new characters with distinct movesets (plus Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf - who might not be a clone) is so bad. I think that if so many newcomers weren't already known on the site, the reception for this roster would be better.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Dogenzaka is pretty much summing up what we all feel right now.

It's not Super History Brothers. It's Super Smash Brothers. Nostalgia is all good and well, but at it's core, it's about the fighting. It's a fighting game. People don't gather in college rec rooms, studio apartments and tournament halls to play single player, or compare stiker collections. They gather to smash.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - there's one way to rectify this: take a few months, gather what gameplay tweaks might need to be made as far as character balance, and release the game, stripped of all of the extra **** like sticker and postcards and pinatas and game demos and adventure mode and side scrolling and overhead shooting and cakes and pies and tea.... and add a few of the characters people have been practically begging for. Then re-release it as BRAWL: Tournament Edition.

****ing A' Sakurai, I'll buy it twice in order to get the game I want the second time around. Just give us a chance to.

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
Dogenzaka, u posted back at kotaku right? if not,somebody posted exactly what u did here,anyways:

Yup, I would MUCH RATHER have a 40+ rooster instead of that stupid stickers-upgrading-my-as$ thing. And also, even when I think Assit trophys are great, I would rather have another 2 PLayable characters by reducing the number of AT´s and Pókeballs by 10 each. Also, i have been watching the SSE thingy and I do thing that it looks like an awesome crossover BUT! i didn´t asked for a "nintendo´s and friends corssover sidescrolling adventure game" I asked for PURE AND UNADULTERED SMASH.

I HATE that Krystal is not in, It pisses the $hit out of me that ROB is in, I would be REALLY HAPPY if K. Krool was in Brawl and Hell I even think Daisy would have been a good player if they used her in a good way.

Why is ganondorf still using C.Falcon moveset?that is the WORST wasted potential in VG history if u ask me. Why is Falco still a Clone. I really did hope for Ness to be an alternate costume because even tho he is not the same as Lucas, MOther is FAR LESS popular than metroid and F zero but still its getting more representation? **** u Sakurai and your ambition of promoting your own series instead of the ones the people likes the most.Ness would have been kept and his actual "megabytes" would have been used for some other charactaer that was different.

As for MEgaMan,I think Sakurai didn´t even tried. He must have been really busy designing stickers and "gimmics" ,etc instead of really bothering about the core of the smash bros series...**** DUDE IT IS IN THE GAME´S NAME!<<<<<SMASH>>>>.

Where is Issac, Dark Knight,Hell even Lyn should have make it but just because in f-ing japan they cant play any RPG if it doesnt have Square-Enix on the cover. Sakurai,you read this!! You just started your new studio right? well here is my advise, console market is a GLOBAL bussines, so you better start looking for what people wants outside your 4 islands and get the job done fore a REAL competitive and MAsterpiece game.

Dont get me wrong, I will buy smash and hell they (nintendo) know it, BUT i would like to ask you people (mainly the big guns here at SmashBoards) to star at thread/petition for DL characters for Brawl. I mean, we have still 4-5 years for the Wii to wave us goodbye, and I would like to star REALLY using that WiiConect24 thing for something useful like say IMPROVING THE SELFISH and GREEDY ASSEMBLED ROOSTER Sakurai just made.

Keep the game up smashers,and we better start moving to improve the brawl Via DLC,so if it is really the "last smash", it will be as perfect as WE the player want it to be.

Dais

Smash Cadet
Good hate-filled rant DashNoob. I'm still shocked by their laziness. Any way you cut it this roster will remain a dark-brown hash-mark on a great game. I tried to have kinda low expectations, but not this low. Sakurai spent to much time working on The Adventure Mode instead of the Playable Characters, when all you play Adventure Mode for Is To Unlock The Freaking Characters!!!! The thing I'm dreading most is having to fight other peoples ToonLinks and ..... ROBs! Ugh!

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Dogenzaka, u posted back at kotaku right? if not,somebody posted exactly what u did here,anyways:
Yes. I am THERETURNOFTHEUFO.

And I agree with you guys. The clones had so much potential too, why in 2+ years, you didn't FIX them?

EPX2

Smash Ace
To say that this roster is a disappointment is an understatement. I really do get the impression that Brawl's roster is simply the roster that Melee was intended to have, plus a few characters that didn't exist at the time. Honestly, Sakurai dropped the ball when it came to such an integral part of the game - the characters. Subspace Emissary, stickers, and all of the other features he included are definitely appreciated... but I was anticipating Brawl because of the characters that would be in the game, not because I could unlock different music pieces.

With everything considered, I feel that Sakurai built us for nothing. All of the updates on the DOJO gave us all the impression that Brawl was going to be nothing less than a masterpiece. Of course, a lot of this disappointment is due to our own high expectations, but can you really blame us when we had seen so much suggesitng that the character roster would be spectacular? Between receiving virtually no updates about it for almost a year to having it being kept tightly under wraps, we were undeniably being built up just to be let down.

I find the fact that any of the Melee characters, especially Mewtwo, were excluded to be extremely ridiculous when clones (or at the very least, semi-clones) are back in full form. It just makes the omission of these characters completely pointless. The fact that the unlockable characters consists mostly of Melee veterans (two of whom were starters in Melee, at that) is very disappointing - it just doesn't make the prospect of unlocking characters to be all that exciting. Sakurai definitely made a mistake in relegating most of the newcomers to default status when the hidden character roster is as lackluster as it is.

The glaring exclusions of characters with an extraordinary amount of potential for a unique and interesting moveset such as Krystal and Isaac is also puzzling. How did these characters not make it in, yet newcomers like Wolf and Toon Link, who seem to possess simply altered versions of existing characters' movesets?

The worst thing about this all is that, unlike Melee, we don't have the prospect of another Smash to look forward to. Sakurai has made it clear that this is the last Smash game he will work on, and contrary to popular opinion, I doubt Nintendo would feel comfortable enough to undertake a further game without Sakurai's guidance. This was pretty much the only opportunity all of the excluded characters had to get into the SSB series.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
To say that this roster is a disappointment is an understatement. I really do get the impression that Brawl's roster is simply the roster that Melee was intended to have, plus a few characters that didn't exist at the time. Honestly, Sakurai dropped the ball when it came to such an integral part of the game - the characters. Subspace Emissary, stickers, and all of the other features he included are definitely appreciated... but I was anticipating Brawl because of the characters that would be in the game, not because I could unlock different music pieces.

With everything considered, I feel that Sakurai built us for nothing. All of the updates on the DOJO gave us all the impression that Brawl was going to be nothing less than a masterpiece. Of course, a lot of this disappointment is due to our own high expectations, but can you really blame us when we had seen so much suggesitng that the character roster would be spectacular? Between receiving virtually no updates about it for almost a year to having it being kept tightly under wraps, we were undeniably being built up just to be let down.

I find the fact that any of the Melee characters, especially Mewtwo, were excluded to be extremely ridiculous when clones (or at the very least, semi-clones) are back in full form. It just makes the omission of these characters completely pointless. The fact that the unlockable characters consists mostly of Melee veterans (two of whom were starters in Melee, at that) is very disappointing - it just doesn't make the prospect of unlocking characters to be all that exciting. Sakurai definitely made a mistake in relegating most of the newcomers to default status when the hidden character roster is as lackluster as it is.

The glaring exclusions of characters with an extraordinary amount of potential for a unique and interesting moveset such as Krystal and Isaac is also puzzling. How did these characters not make it in, yet newcomers like Wolf and Toon Link, who seem to possess simply altered versions of existing characters' movesets?

The worst thing about this all is that, unlike Melee, we don't have the prospect of another Smash to look forward to. Sakurai has made it clear that this is the last Smash game he will work on, and contrary to popular opinion, I doubt Nintendo would feel comfortable enough to undertake a further game without Sakurai's guidance. This was pretty much the only opportunity all of the excluded characters had to get into the SSB series.
QFT.

This is a huge disappointment. I don't know what the **** made Sakurai create this horrible roster, but it seems like a joke.

The starting roster looked SO GOOD. It really did look like, from that, that this game WOULD be a masterpiece roster-wise, but all of the exciting characters are in the starting roster.

There's so much I could say about this roster, but for right now I don't feel like it. I'll just say, this roster is ridiculous and makes no sense whatsoever.

Top Bottom