• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Power of Flight enables Dark Pit/Pit to fly. If Dark Pit could fly on his own, then why did he fall off the edge after resurrecting Pit? He's using Viridi's power of flight.
Dark Pit was able to fly on his own before resurrecting Pit, though (it's how he got to that one place I forget the name of in the first place, to save Pit). But yeah, he did lose the ability after defeating Amazon Pandora. And now Smash 4 has explained to us that Viridi was the one who was granting him flight in the ending, and that Dark Pit now works for her.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Bowser RUNS fast. Attacks are still horribly slow.
Gannondorf is a powerhouse because of the Triforce of Power.
Isn't it great when you type a paragraph in response to someone and they don't listen to half the stuff you say?

1. Ganondorf's triforce of power does not make him a super-powerful fist fighter. Ganondorf's triforce has primarily given him magical power. And even if it didn't, he doesn't need to look like he's having a heart attack while he moves.

2. Who cares if he's heavyweight? Bowser runs and dodges and attacks in an agile manner similarly to how he attacked in Galaxy. Just because he's slow except for his dash speed doesn't mean anything. Ganondorf could be just like this. He's agile.

3. Why does "slow" have to mean unatheltic? Ganondorf could simply be slow but move in a manner similarly to how he does in Zelda. As I said (Which I guess you didn't pick up on) Ganondorf moves slowly in his fights, but attacks and dodges like a spidermonkey. He moves slowly because the confidence he exudes when slowly striding towards you is formidable. Why can't it be this way for Smash Bros. Ganondorf has never been fighting link and started gasping for breath because he's old and stocky. He doesn't move slowly because he can't run. And you know what, they did exactly this with Bowser. Bowser looks ****ing awesome. He's still fast in many of his attacks and dashes, but moves in a slow and formidable fashion. Making Ganondorf look and act like he's gonna collapse after eating too many cheesburgers isn't the only way they can make him slow.

Folt

Smash Ace
You're point being?

That doesn't disprove sakurai's
None of those franchises you've mentioned is being more deserving of getting reps/keeping reps than the ones you've complained about. Sure, losing Wolf stung a bit, but Star Fox is adequately represented, and was quite frankly overrepresented in Brawl (hence why I hoped it was Falco who would get the axe). Olimar more than adequately represented Pikmin by himself and does have an alt if you felt that wasn't enough. While Lucas got the axe, the Mother series has kind of ended with no real future games in sight, and Ness has proved to be the more iconic veteran of the two for Smash (+ Earthbound, the game where he debuted, finally got rereleased so he has that going for him too).

Kid Icarus actually had a successful revival recently, and thus was a series who could potentially have 2 reps. We got that + a clone added when the roster had been finalized because Sakurai had the time to do so. Also, since Sakurai personally worked on Uprising, it's easier for him to get the models and stuff needed to to give Kid Icarus the representation it got. As for Mario, of course it's gonna get a majority of content for Smash: It's Nintendo's flagship franchise and gets treated appropriately.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Also, Ridley is pretty defined by his ability to fly. There are entire boss fights in the Metroid series (and in Brawl) that revolve around his ability to do so.
Of course Ridley is defined by his ability to fly in some form, otherwise there's no point to him having wings in the first place. Also I guess you're referring to the fights in Super Metroid and Zero Mission where he stays in the air, which I'm guessing is because coding a boss to land and to ground attacks is kinda difficult on a 16-bit system. Since then, almost all Ridley boss fights involve him landing for one reason or another, the only real one since then being the Brawl versions, one of them being highly based on Dyna-Blade, and the other being a chase scene sort of deal, so naturally he wasn't gonna start running after you. Out of all the things that make Ridley a challenge for Sakurai, him being known to fly is hardly a problem. It'd be like if he said he couldn't include Little Mac because he would have to go into the air from time to time.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I have a Proposition:

IF Sakurai is Director of Smash 5: we will Request
TRACE Pictured Here

Instead, or any other of the hunters, but I like Trace the most.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
yeah because he lost the power after beating/ressurecting (cant remember which) Pandora. I said that
Which means that he can't fly. You literally just proved yourself wrong.
Dark Pit was able to fly on his own before resurrecting Pit, though (it's how he got to that one place I forget the name of in the first place, to save Pit). But yeah, he did lose the ability after defeating Amazon Pandora. And now Smash 4 has explained to us that Viridi was the one who was granting him flight in the ending, and that Dark Pit now works for her.
I know that. But the thing is, Dark Pit can't fly on his own ANYMORE, so the argument that Dark Pit can fly on his own is pointless.

Last edited:

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
This all could have easily gone like this.

Ridley Opposers: "Ridley is too big..."

Ridley Supporters: "NO HE'S NOT!!!"

Sakurai: "Ridley is too big..."

Ridley Supporters: "......... Okay......."
You see the problem with that logic is:
Tripping Opposers: "Tripping is terrible!"

Tripping Defenders: "It isn't that bad, if anything it's minor!"

Sakurai: "Tripping is A-OK!"

Tripping Opposers: "...Okay"

Just because Sakurai says something, it doesn't make him right. It just means what he says is what goes.

Folt

Smash Ace
Of course Ridley is defined by his ability to fly in some form, otherwise there's no point to him having wings in the first place. Also I guess you're referring to the fights in Super Metroid and Zero Mission where he stays in the air, which I'm guessing is because coding a boss to land and to ground attacks is kinda difficult on a 16-bit system. Since then, almost all Ridley boss fights involve him landing for one reason or another, the only real one since then being the Brawl versions, one of them being highly based on Dyna-Blade, and the other being a chase scene sort of deal, so naturally he wasn't gonna start running after you. Out of all the things that make Ridley a challenge for Sakurai, him being known to fly is hardly a problem. It'd be like if he said he couldn't include Little Mac because he would have to go into the air from time to time.
Being able to fly freely (as in not needing to input a move or getting limited time: Actually flying freely). would be much more problematic to a game like Smash if we're making a playable character, rather than being mainly groundbased.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm no Metroid aficionado but didn't the Meta Ridley fight in Prime 3 also involve Samus falling down a big huge vertical tunnel, and Ridley flying around her and you had to shoot him?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm no Metroid aficionado but didn't the Meta Ridley fight in Prime 3 also involve Samus falling down a big huge vertical tunnel, and Ridley flying around her and you had to shoot him?
Well he wasn't really flying if this is what your talking about
I dont think he would of been able too fly, that super cramped space

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
It seems like every size/character portrayal argument that a Ridley supporter brings up is immediately declared invalid, no matter how good or bad it is.

Also, it's not a sin to criticize Sakurai.

Just an observation and an opinion. Don't kill me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well he wasn't really flying if this is what your talking about
I dont think he would of been able too fly, that super cramped space

Haha, but my point is more or less that unlike Little Mac, I associate Ridley with being an aerial fighter more than a ground based one, even if he has had some fights on the ground.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Being able to fly freely (as in not needing to input a move or getting limited time: Actually flying freely). would be much more problematic to a game like Smash if we're making a playable character, rather than being mainly groundbased.
Of course, and I see what the point is here. I know it is down to how Sakurai feels on the matter, but giving a character a float or some timed form of flight is pretty much a guaranteed way to allow them more maneuverability and freedom in the air, and giving this to Ridley wouldn't exactly destroy the idea of Ridley being Ridley. What I'm trying to get across is that it isn't that hard to give Ridley an easy time in the air and still keep him as Ridley, therefore it being the smaller issue out of what he said kept him back from adding him (Size, Wingspan etc.). I think it's a minor issue that Ridley is often in the air, it's only natural that he'd fly around in battles to make the fight more interesting as a boss fight.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
None of those franchises you've mentioned is being more deserving of getting reps/keeping reps than the ones you've complained about. Sure, losing Wolf stung a bit, but Star Fox is adequately represented, and was quite frankly overrepresented in Brawl (hence why I hoped it was Falco who would get the axe). Olimar more than adequately represented Pikmin by himself and does have an alt if you felt that wasn't enough. While Lucas got the axe, the Mother series has kind of ended with no real future games in sight, and Ness has proved to be the more iconic veteran of the two for Smash (+ Earthbound, the game where he debuted, finally got rereleased so he has that going for him too).

Kid Icarus actually had a successful revival recently, and thus was a series who could potentially have 2 reps. We got that + a clone added when the roster had been finalized because Sakurai had the time to do so. Also, since Sakurai personally worked on Uprising, it's easier for him to get the models and stuff needed to to give Kid Icarus the representation it got. As for Mario, of course it's gonna get a majority of content for Smash: It's Nintendo's flagship franchise and gets treated appropriately.
What about the 3DS stages then? It's clearly not fair

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
It did, but I think you can also see the reason why he didn't really land during all of that too.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Bowser RUNS fast. Attacks are still horribly slow.
Gannondorf is a powerhouse because of the Triforce of Power.
It's always great when you post a paragraph in response to someone and they don't read half of it.

1. The triforce of Power doesn't make Ganondorf a fist fighter in any games. In every Zelda game it gives him magical power. If he actually attacked like he would if he had the triforce of power, his weight class wouldn't really matter. You'd also think if he had the triforce of Power he'd be able to run without looking like he's having a heart attack.

2. Bowser is exactly what I'm talking about. Bowser moves slowly but has a ton of agile and athletic moves and stuff, just like in Galaxy. Ganondorf could be this.

3. Even if Ganondorf has to be slow, why does he have to panting and running like some 75 year old that just got done eating a box of donuts. In the games, Ganondorf typically is slow yet agile. He is not slow because he can't run. In the games, he'll typically walk towards you in a confident manner, but will move like a 20 year old if you start attacking him. Smash Bros could do exactly this. Portraying Ganondorf a washed up and out of breath because he's old is a huge disservice to his character. One of the key traits of Ganondorf is the fact that he is an old man, yet an agile badass that is to be feared. Once again, I can make a comparison to Gandalf from LOTR. Gandalf is an old man, but he's still really agile and capable. If you were to release a LOTR or Hobbit movie where Gandalf is incapable and looks like he's suffering form a stroke all the time, that'd be completely diminishing the point of his character.

Ganondorf is the same way. There is no reason why Ganondorf simply cannot stride towards you as he does in the games slowly and not look like he's dying. They did exactly this with Bowser. Bowser strides confidently towards his opponents, but still has agility. This should be what Ganondorf does. That's one of the key points of his character when he's an old man. This decision is so stupid. Ganondorf is not represented well AT ALL.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course, and I see what the point is here. I know it is down to how Sakurai feels on the matter, but giving a character a float or some timed form of flight is pretty much a guaranteed way to allow them more maneuverability and freedom in the air, and giving this to Ridley wouldn't exactly destroy the idea of Ridley being Ridley. What I'm trying to get across is that it isn't that hard to give Ridley an easy time in the air and still keep him as Ridley, therefore it being the smaller issue out of what he said kept him back from adding him (Size, Wingspan etc.). I think it's a minor issue that Ridley is often in the air, it's only natural that he'd fly around in battles to make the fight more interesting as a boss fight.
It may be possible he couldn't get that to work all that well. I mean, it does sound like he tried to make him a fighter, hence the product we got at the end, a hazard/assist character with normal fighter-like capabilities.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Isn't it great when you type a paragraph in response to someone and they don't listen to half the stuff you say?

1. Ganondorf's triforce of power does not make him a super-powerful fist fighter. Ganondorf's triforce has primarily given him magical power. And even if it didn't, he doesn't need to look like he's having a heart attack while he moves.

2. Who cares if he's heavyweight? Bowser runs and dodges and attacks in an agile manner similarly to how he attacked in Galaxy. Just because he's slow except for his dash speed doesn't mean anything. Ganondorf could be just like this. He's agile.

3. Why does "slow" have to mean unatheltic? Ganondorf could simply be slow but move in a manner similarly to how he does in Zelda. As I said (Which I guess you didn't pick up on) Ganondorf moves slowly in his fights, but attacks and dodges like a spidermonkey. He moves slowly because the confidence he exudes when slowly striding towards you is formidable. Why can't it be this way for Smash Bros. Ganondorf has never been fighting link and started gasping for breath because he's old and stocky. He doesn't move slowly because he can't run. And you know what, they did exactly this with Bowser. Bowser looks ****ing awesome. He's still fast in many of his attacks and dashes, but moves in a slow and formidable fashion. Making Ganondorf look and act like he's gonna collapse after eating too many cheesburgers isn't the only way they can make him slow.
I'm freaking tired of answering the same arguments, okay?

Gannondorf has since been shown to have more physical moves in TP.

Bowser isn't agile at all. He runs fast, that's it.

In Hyrule Warriors he's the same general character design: Lethargic and powerful and underpowered. SSB Ganondorf has effected Zelda's Ganondorf in more then a few ways at this point, and the current Gannondorf moveset works well enough now and will cover all future incarnations.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
It isn't off, it's actually the most accurate portrayal of the character, if you go by the "benevolent and jolly hero" description Nintendo likes to give us.

Actual Mario games focus way too much on the jolly side most of the time. Smash highlights his genuine heroic side.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? dude go and play Mario party, get a star and see how Mario acts, play any spinoff and win and see how they act, play MK8 and see how the act. Now go and play Smash 4 win a battle or do a taunt and see if that's the same Mario we all love, no "Yahoo!" "Mario number 1" "Mario superstar" "Oh no!!! Do'h " "Woooooh-Ohhhh" Pit and Sonic are 100% like the are in the games, all happy, cocky and awesome, Mario looks mad and wants to do a Shoryuken!!!, Luigi is so cherrfull in the mario games and here when he wins he looks scared and waaaay goofy, Peach looks like "Oh I win nah doesnt matter" and dont make me start with Dk ad Bowser.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm going to leave one last bit here.

Sakurai stated shrinking Ridley down wouldn't be Ridley anymore. Debatable, but I'm not going to focus on the size issue, instead, let's take a look at what Ridley does as a stage boss.

He flys around, doing attacks and whatnot. He'll join sides with whoever attacks him enough. The real Ridley would never do such a thing. He doesn't bat an eye when the same character he's fighting side-by-side with backstabs him for an easy point. The real Ridley would sooner kill the other first. Not to mention both Metal Face and Yellow Devil don't join anyone's side, so these facts are even more glaring.

So even though Sakurai supposedly tried to keep Ridley true to original portrayals, he ended up being a hypocrite anyway.
Ehhh... I'm not sure about that... Mother Brain hired Ridley to work for her... it's accurate... you hire Ridley to work for you. :awesome:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I didn't ask for your help but thanks for playing English teacher, mom
Would you find it funny if I was actually an English teacher. Ridley's too big to be having this argument with you. Carry the smash on. :secretkpop:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't know how Ganondorf can be 'accurately portrayed' when if you remove the purple fire from his attacks, he's just another fist fighter like Mario. I don't mind him having a few physical moves mixed in, but he's my favorite Zelda character, and his Smash Bros. incarnation feels nothing like the villain I love. He has no evil presence, no confidence, no class or style, (insert Lanky Kong joke here) no wizard vibe. He just feels like an aggressive old guy.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
One thing I'd like to point out is that Ridley being the size he is would almost certainly be the largest problem for Sakurai's team, and not that he can move freely throughout the air in the Metroid games. There are definitely ways to make Ridley have an easier time in the air, and that would be the thing that I feel Sakurai and his team would figure out quickly. The reason size the the problem here is because of how Sakurai conceptualizes it. He knows Ridley can get smaller, he's just worried about how much smaller he can make Ridley, as well as how different from the other members of the cast etc. If Ridley gets too small, for most other people, they wouldn't mind, but for Sakurai it is huge because he loves the attention to detail. If Ridley were suddenly only a little bit taller than Samus it might not look bad, but from Sakurai's perspective as the developer it is highly inaccurate to the series.

I'm not saying that Ridley is ultimately too big either, because he can definitely be resized and put into the game if Sakurai wants to, but Sakurai would have a lot of trouble working out proportions AS WELL AS trying to make him move well in the air, and that is where it becomes a problem. If Sakurai thinks that making Ridley would be too much fuss for something that wouldn't be completely accurate to itself, he's then looking at something that doesn't quite fit a professional game in his head, despite the fact he doesn't know what the outcome is. Making Ridley big enough, but still small enough would also come into animation etc., and if they want him to look the best he can that might even include redesigning him, again presenting a larger challenge than thinking of a way to make him able to move smoothly in the air and incorporating it into his design. This is probably why Ridley wasn't included in Smash 4, but is also why it is possible for him to appear in the future.

IMO there really isn't too much to discuss here regarding Ridley, which is what I think Sakurai was aiming for when he sent out that E-Mail. I think the biggest issue with that E-Mail was his stuff about characters representing themselves.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Flawless my ***.

Kirby doesn't have infinite jumps in a Smash like he does in Kirby games. Does that make him not Kirby? Link's and Samus's arsenals are stripped down to maintain a reasonable amount of moves for the characters. Does that make them inaccurate portrayals of said characters? Peach can actually fend for herself in this game as opposed to the helpless damsel she usually is. Does that make her not Peach? The Ness in Smash and the Ness in EarthBound have completely different movepools, Smash Sonic can't break the sound barrier while Sonic series Sonic can... really, I can go on. The opinions expressed in this interview could not be more flimsy.

Better yet, as others have pointed out here, being a piñata who subjects to whoever can beat him up the easiest is not an accurate portrayal of Ridley, making the statement outright hypocritical.
Kirby didn't have infinite jumps in Kirby 64.

Link and Samus don't always start out with all weapons and upgrades. I guess they didn't collect enough weapons and upgrades.

Peach actually fought in Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario RPG, Super Princess Peach, Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario 3D World.

Paula taught Ness those moves, according to Ness's Brawl trophy. Plus those moves came from Mother games.

Sonic doesn't break the sound barrier because the stages are too small and/or bumpy to allow Sonic to build momentum like in Sonic games. Put on the Bunny Hood and you can see why it's hard to control Sonic if he was that fast normally... balance!

Let's not get hyperbolic over this...

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I don't know how Ganondorf can be 'accurately portrayed' when if you remove the purple fire from his attacks, he's just another fist fighter like Mario. I don't mind him having a few physical moves mixed in, but he's my favorite Zelda character, and his Smash Bros. incarnation feels nothing like the villain I love. He has no evil presence, no confidence, no class or style, (insert Lanky Kong joke here) no wizard vibe. He just feels like an aggressive old guy.
What could they have done with him, though? He'd have to be another sword fighter. I've always wanted Toon Dorf, but that's a shame.

OoT Ganondorf would've been unique. His OoT appearance in HD would've been amazing. He'd have to have some hover moves and charged beam attacks. He's still satisfying the way he is, but it's still not the G-Dorf I want.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
When some reactions here are downright childish and are nothing but tantrums, no wonder Sakurai compares some fans to children. He's basically calling out on bull**** like what has transpired on this very thread.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
What could they have done with him, though? He'd have to be another sword fighter. I've always wanted Toon Dorf, but that's a shame.

OoT Ganondorf would've been unique. His OoT appearance in HD would've been amazing. He'd have to have some hover moves and charged beam attacks. He's still satisfying the way he is, but it's still not the G-Dorf I want.
Who says he'd have to be a swordfighter? He could use magic with maybe a few kicks or one or two sword attacks mixed in.

Folt

Smash Ace
The other thing would probably for all those advantages of getting free flight (or floating), he'd have to be lightweight as if he's too heavy he'd be a ***** to kill... and on the other side, if he's light, he'd be a bigger Peach/Jigglypuff in terms of knockback and we all know what the fate of big and light characters would be.

What about the 3DS stages then? It's clearly not fair
Donkey Kong, Metroid, and have mostly recent home console entries, with Donkey Kong having a remake of a home console game on the 3DS. Sakurai chose to represent DKCR stage-wise on the Wii U, most likely because it was originally made for the Wii and it was recent enough to be fresh on our minds. The last Metroid game on a handheld that wasn't a spinoff was Zero Mission, a remake of the original Metroid, so all bets were frankly off on whether Metroid would have a handheld stage. While Yoshi has had a handheld presence, the upcoming Yoshi's Woolly World has most of the public's attention and since the handheld games have been drawing mostly from the original Yoshi's Island, Sakurai might have felt that the Yoshi's Island stage from Brawl could adequately represent all those games. Star Fox's most recent entry has been the Star Fox 64 remake which is probably why Corneria returned. Mr. Game & Watch doesn't get a new stage, but doesn't get a returning stage in the Wii U version either, so it evens out. Pikmin is easy: The series has no presence whatsoever as a handheld game. Sonic's presence has been more on home consoles than handhelds as well, and also has a similiar case to Game & Watch as he has no returning stage on the Wii U version.

On that note, Cpt. Falcon and Ness inverts Mr. Game & Watch and Sonic's case, as they have a new stage on the 3DS version, but a returning stage only on the Wii U version.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
I'm freaking tired of answering the same arguments, okay?

Gannondorf has since been shown to have more physical moves in TP.

Bowser isn't agile at all. He runs fast, that's it.

In Hyrule Warriors he's the same general character design: Lethargic and powerful and underpowered. SSB Ganondorf has effected Zelda's Ganondorf in more then a few ways at this point, and the current Gannondorf moveset works well enough now and will cover all future incarnations.
Look at Bowser's moveset dumbass. Please go watch a video on youtube or something detailing his moveset. To say he was not made more athletic than in Brawl or Melee is just plane wrong.

Ganondorf does not use physical moves in twilight princes... He kicks you during a sword fight if you're too close to him. That's literally it. It's not even like some super power kick mean to kill link. It's just like a little assertion of power when link gets too close.

Also, you responded to my argument with "His moveset works well enough". Really? That's all you could come w up with? I made a huge post listing reasons why Ganondorf's moveset is unfitting and does not properly represent him at all and you respond by taking me back to square one. I explained to you that his moveset is bull**** and you literally just say "Well it works" Wow. I went through the moveset bit by bit explaining why Ganondorf is not represented well at all in Smash Bros, and you just ignored it all. Because you probably aren't reading this paragraph right now, I'll list the reasons below.

1. He does not use any physical moves besides a minor kick during a swordfight that were physical.

2. He is not tired and worn out even though he's old, which is part of his character. As I've said many times to you already, to be slow he does not need to look like he's dying. Bowser and Palutena are slow, but they don't intentionally look like they're in mid aneurism as they run. Making Ganondorf tired and slow is a huge disservice to his character.

3. Just because he uses magic does not mean he is represented well. Just because he uses some magic when he punches does not mean he's being represented as he would in the games by any means. Ganondorf is not a physical fighter, he's a weapon weilder and a magic user. It's like if Harry Potter where in Smash Bros, but instead of casting spells he just beat people with his wand.

Ganondorf is not a well done representation of his in-game character. Don't deny it. I have the points listed above, so if you tell me he needs to be slow in order to be powerful I swear to god I will Warlock Punch you. So my point here is that if this is how Sakurai treats Ganon, then he shouldn't be keeping Ridley out of Smash Bros because he'd be "misrepresented". Ganondorf is insultingly represented. There is no way in hell you could possibly say that this slow and gasping fistfighter is representing the most iconic warlock in gaming well.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
The other thing would probably for all those advantages of getting free flight (or floating), he'd have to be lightweight as if he's too heavy he'd be a ***** to kill... and on the other side, if he's light, he'd be a bigger Peach/Jigglypuff in terms of knockback and we all know what the fate of big and light characters would be.
*Mewtwo turns over in his soon-empty grave*

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Donkey Kong, Metroid, and have mostly recent home console entries, with Donkey Kong having a remake of a home console game on the 3DS. Sakurai chose to represent DKCR stage-wise on the Wii U, most likely because it was originally made for the Wii and it was recent enough to be fresh on our minds. The last Metroid game on a handheld that wasn't a spinoff was Zero Mission, a remake of the original Metroid, so all bets were frankly off on whether Metroid would have a handheld stage. While Yoshi has had a handheld presence, the upcoming Yoshi's Woolly World has most of the public's attention and since the handheld games have been drawing mostly from the original Yoshi's Island, Sakurai might have felt that the Yoshi's Island stage from Brawl could adequately represent all those games. Star Fox's most recent entry has been the Star Fox 64 remake which is probably why Corneria returned. Mr. Game & Watch doesn't get a new stage, but doesn't get a returning stage in the Wii U version either, so it evens out. Pikmin is easy: The series has no presence whatsoever as a handheld game. Sonic's presence has been more on home consoles than handhelds as well, and also has a similiar case to Game & Watch as he has no returning stage on the Wii U version.

On that note, Cpt. Falcon and Ness inverts Mr. Game & Watch and Sonic's case, as they have a new stage on the 3DS version, but a returning stage only on the Wii U version.
A new stage for these franchises would've been nice, why couldn't we have a new 643D stage or something based on classic DKC, It's just disspointing that mario and zelda get tons of new stages but other franchises are stuck with basically nothing

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Sakurai is Smash. The series owes everything to him. Everything. EVERYTHING.

The disrespect of Sakurai is incredible and repulsive. He has devoted large portions of his life to create these masterpieces of game design. He wants people to love his games and have fun playing them. That's all! Believe it or not, Sakurai wants you to have fun! It is the penultimate goal. And all people can do is whine and whine and whine about the one thing he didn't include. All I hear is: "Me, me, me, me, me." It's disrespectful of the one person who matters THE MOST in the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to SMASH. Without Sakurai, Smash Boards would not exist. Smash would not exist. The entire notion of a Smash-like game would not exist. He has worked, so so so incredibly hard to give this game to us. Probably harder than most people work towards any one dream in their lifetimes. And to degrade him? It's looking a gift horse in the mouth and then punching the guy that gave it to you. It's classless. It's horrible. It's borderline sociopathic. Just stop it people. Stop.
I understand where you're coming from. But you've got to remember, this is a business. Nobody is obligated to be grateful. Harsh criticism is inevitable, and if you can't handle it you shouldn't have the job in the first place. If this game were a free gift from him to the community, then I'd agree. You can't argue when you're not paying.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Who says he'd have to be a swordfighter? He could use magic with maybe a few kicks or one or two sword attacks mixed in.
I says he'd have to be a sword fighter. If it was Wind Waker G-Dorf. Dual swords would solve everything. How much magic could he actually have aside from those beam attacks?

Folt

Smash Ace
*Mewtwo turns over in his soon-empty grave*
And he was low tier in Melee. Your Point?

A new stage for these franchises would've been nice, why couldn't we have a new 643D stage or something based on classic DKC, It's just disspointing that mario and zelda get tons of new stages but other franchises are stuck with basically nothing
Kongo Jungle reps the classic DKC just fine, really. And I've already explained my theory on Star Fox.

Though it could also be that Star Fox has been kind of a slowly dying franchise over the years so the amount of representation has decreased due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom