• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is Smash. The series owes everything to him. Everything. EVERYTHING.

The disrespect of Sakurai is incredible and repulsive. He has devoted large portions of his life to create these masterpieces of game design. He wants people to love his games and have fun playing them. That's all! Believe it or not, Sakurai wants you to have fun! It is the penultimate goal. And all people can do is whine and whine and whine about the one thing he didn't include. All I hear is: "Me, me, me, me, me." It's disrespectful of the one person who matters THE MOST in the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to SMASH. Without Sakurai, Smash Boards would not exist. Smash would not exist. The entire notion of a Smash-like game would not exist. He has worked, so so so incredibly hard to give this game to us. Probably harder than most people work towards any one dream in their lifetimes. And to degrade him? It's looking a gift horse in the mouth and then punching the guy that gave it to you. It's classless. It's horrible. It's borderline sociopathic. Just stop it people. Stop.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
It isn't off, it's actually the most accurate portrayal of the character, if you go by the "benevolent and jolly hero" description Nintendo likes to give us.

Actual Mario games focus way too much on the jolly side most of the time. Smash highlights his genuine heroic side.
I'm going to just have to agree to disagree on that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Lose the ability to fly around freely" - Charizard, Pit, Dark Pit, Meta Knight
Charizard may not have the Fly HM in Smash.

Pit CAN'T fly freely.

Dark Pit LOST the ability to fly freely by the end of Uprising, and Smash 4 is confirmed to take place after Uprising for the Kid Icarus characters.

Meta Knight's ability to fly is not his primary character trait. And he had it in Brawl, but then y'all whined about it being OP.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

The disrespect of Sakurai is incredible and repulsive. He has devoted large portions of his life to create these masterpieces of game design. He just want people to love his games and have fun playing them. Believe it or not, Sakurai wants you to have fun! It is the penultimate goal. And all people can do is whine and whine and whine about the one thing he didn't include. All I hear is: "Me, me, me, me, me." It's disrespectful of the one person who matters THE MOST in the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to SMASH. It's classless. It's horrible. It's borderline sociopathic. Just stop it people. Stop.
I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up dying from stress and the rude assholes would just go "good" Parden my language

Pit CAN'T fly freely.

Dark Pit LOST the ability to fly freely by the end of Uprising, and Smash 4 is confirmed to take place after Uprising for the Kid Icarus characters.

Meta Knight's ability to fly is not his primary character trait. And he had it in Brawl, but then y'all whined about it being OP.
You also missing that They took out the flying mechanic in this game. There is that too

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Honestly as bummed as I am that Ridley isn't in Smash this time around, I'm honestly not that surprised. Sakuria's just not that into Ridley as a playable character. He likes him better as a boss. That's cool, that's fine and Smash 4 is still an incredible game even without playable Ridley.
I think the best solution is for some IP group (like the incredible models BagonSmashBros makes) like Project M to sometime down the line try their hand at him. Then the people that really want Ridley playable (a vocal minority of smash players--I should know, I am one!) can have the chance to play as him, while those who really don't can stick with Sakurai's games. I personally would play and enjoy both.
If Sakurai really doesn't think Ridley fits into Smash4 when he was SO close to being playable (and it's rather apparent he doesn't), that probably isn't going to change anytime soon. Best bet for Ridley fans like myself is to get behind talented people like Bagon and see what they can do.

And as far as THIS Ridley fan is concerned that's not an entirely bad thing.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It isn't off, it's actually the most accurate portrayal of the character, if you go by the "benevolent and jolly hero" description Nintendo likes to give us.

Actual Mario games focus way too much on the jolly side most of the time. Smash highlights his genuine heroic side.
I don't see it, When I think of mario I think of stuff like the galaxy intro, I think of the new super mario games, I think of him getting a power star. He's a happy-go-lucky guy in his own games but in smash he doesn't smile once, not even in his taunts. He just lacks personality and is boring, that's why I like luigi a lot more

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm pleased to see that Sakurai has indeed come out with an explanation over his handling of Ridley, in the end.

For the longest time, it seemed strangely misleading. Sure, he was alluded as a Stage Boss in April, but closer analysis suggested strange behaviours for a Boss. So could there have been more to the story?

It ended up being the case, since Hazardley turned out to have a bunch of player-like behaviours (you can fight him, you can KO him, he doesn't have a set Brawl-esque pattern, etc.). So it made sense to hold off on just showing him off, especially since he exhibits the new Player Allegiance mechanic. We couldn't have foreknown these mechanics were at play since they were unprecedented in Smash history; it's no surprise that there were many (myself among them) who would think that there could possibly be more to Ridley due to perceived curiosities in depiction.

But it wasn't to be. And it's good to know that they put some thought into it. Myself, I'm not a stickler for canon, so I would have been willing to sacrifice Ridley's "imposing" stature for the sake of playability. Some think that he'd look dumb being downsized; I'd say a downsized Ridley would look downsized.

It remains that I think Ridley is cool in his own right, that his boss theme is one of my fave VGM OSTs, that he certainly has the credentials for Smashdom, that he'd make a good and likely interesting addition to any Smash roster (supposing the right workarounds to his issues are found), and that while I was (and still am, I suppose) a Ridley fan and supporter, I have no rage or sadness at his Bossitude, since it isn't in my temperament to invest emotional stakes in whether a character gets in or not (that said, I am pleased that Mewtwo's coming back)***.

So I consider Sakurai's statements as closure to the last niggling mystery I would have wanted cleared up before the game came out (and not too soon, since Smash U is basically here).

Now to lament how I don't have a Wii U to play the new Smash (let alone Wii U games in general). :urg:

***If anything, the only downside to Hazardley is that there are no toggles to disable Stage Bosses and other Hazards. If such a feature had been implemented, we could perhaps have gotten more variation in the Omega stage variants. But whatever.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Pit CAN'T fly freely.

Sure, Ridley's main ability has always been flight, oh wait...IT ISN'T, IT HASN'T EVER BEEN! Oh, and what about Kirby and Dedede? You're simply making up excuses to defend Sakurai, and you shouldn't, he deserves to be called out on his bull****, I'll go 'OMG Sakurai Senpai has finally noticed OMG Sakurai you are so great you make great games' when he actually does something that deserves praise. When he gives DK a non-jungle stage, when he gives Metroid playable representation other than Samus x1000, when he makes a non-lava Metroid stage, when he gives new stages to all franchises like he should...

Until then, Sakurai can add all the ****ty arcade modes he wants, and add all the C-Listers, bottom of the barrel playable characters he wants, but he won't be getting any gratitude from me.

Also, on the DLC article, he says that the fanbase thinks he hasn't done enough, well, newsflash buddy...
YOU HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH!

The disrespect of Sakurai is incredible and repulsive. He has devoted large portions of his life to create these masterpieces of game design. He wants people to love his games and have fun playing them. That's all! Believe it or not, Sakurai wants you to have fun! It is the penultimate goal. And all people can do is whine and whine and whine about the one thing he didn't include. All I hear is: "Me, me, me, me, me." It's disrespectful of the one person who matters THE MOST in the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to SMASH. Without Sakurai, Smash board would not exist. Smash would not exist. The entire notion of a Smash-like game would not exist. He has worked, so so so incredibly hard to give this game to us. Probably harder than most people work towards any one dream in their lifetimes. And to degrade him? It's looking a gift horse in the mouth and then punching the guy that gave it to you. It's classless. It's horrible. It's borderline sociopathic. Just stop it people. Stop.
If Sakurai wanted me to have fun, he'd stop ****ting on my favorite Nintendo franchises with half-assed excuses for content, what's that? No Metroid Prime remixes? No DK remixes outside of DK Island Swing for the 10000th time?

@ ChikoLad ChikoLad I just love how you try to justify nearly every single one of Sakurai's stupid decisions, would you be defending him as much if Rosalina was a Peach clone? "But she looks similar to peach, she floats and she looks pretty, so it makes sense for her to be a Peach clone!" I doubt it. The defending of Falcondorf is particularily insulting.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
I have big hopes and the believe that it will be Project M who will grant us this wish. i'm certain that if people deeply ask for it to the team, they'll happyly do it,. They've been answering people's requests very possitively.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely hope the fine lads at project m will get a sm4sh version going one day and maybe we can have a proper Ridley to love and call our own . Long live project m !!!!

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
You ever try fighting in a clunky suit? Movement is literally difficult in Super, and it translates to here. We've never seen ZSS fight in a situation where she wouldn't practically die in one shot and HP means nada in SSB.

I say it's outsourced and horrible looking.

Ganondorf can't have power and speed.
Bowser. That is all.

And it's not as if Ganondorf has to be a mega-powerhouse. He can be just like he was in game. he never really showed any signs of being a brute or anything. He attacked with magic and swords. Even if he has to remain slow, he still doesn't have to be gasping for breath as he moves. Just make it like the games, where he moves slowly, but not because he's weak and unathletic. In the games he moves slowly to kinda exude confidence. To show you that who you're fighting is so powerful that he nonchalantly moves towards you as he fights, but when you attack him, he starts flipping around and stuff.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Pit CAN'T fly freely.

So your telling me, when Charizard mega evolves as his final smash he magically learns the HM Fly, smh.

Villager basically flies out from the depths of hell.

on another note, even Sonic and yoshi fly during their final smashes.

Plus Olimar is a the size of a quarter, how accurately is he portrayed?

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
If he and his team could make it work (not only mechanically but thematically and visually), they probably would've put him in, seeing as there has been demand for him. But the reasoning he presents is sound. Metroid is one of my favorite series out there, and Ridley is a really cool villain, but thematically he fits more as a ominous free-roaming boss, according to me anyway.

People that think Sakurai loves to **** with peoples emotions are projecting their own type of passion onto him, and it's super presumptuous. I know people are passionate on a wild level, but still. :(

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
If Sakurai wanted me to have fun, he'd stop ****ting on my favorite Nintendo franchises with half-***** excuses for content, what's that? No Metroid Prime remixes? No DK remixes outside of DK Island Swing for the 10000th time?
Your sense of entitlement is disturbing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Bowser. That is all.

And it's not as if Ganondorf has to be a mega-powerhouse. He can be just like he was in game. he never really showed any signs of being a brute or anything. He attacked with magic and swords. Even if he has to remain slow, he still doesn't have to be gasping for breath as he moves. Just make it like the games, where he moves slowly, but not because he's weak and unathletic. In the games he moves slowly to kinda exude confidence. To show you that who you're fighting is so powerful that he nonchalantly moves towards you as he fights, but when you attack him, he starts flipping around and stuff.
Bowser RUNS fast. Attacks are still horribly slow.
Gannondorf is a powerhouse because of the Triforce of Power.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see it, When I think of mario I think of stuff like the galaxy intro, I think of the new super mario games, I think of him getting a power star. He's a happy-go-lucky guy in his own games but in smash he doesn't smile once, not even in his taunts. He just lacks personality and is boring, that's why I like luigi a lot more
He does smile and have fun, and look silly and goofy. He just doesn't do it ALL of the time.

ChikoLad ChikoLad I just love how you try to justify nearly every single one of Sakurai's stupid decisions, would you be defending him as much if Rosalina was a Peach clone? "But she looks similar to peach, she floats and she looks pretty, so it makes sense for her to be a Peach clone!" I doubt it. The defending of Falcondorf is particularily insulting.
I love how you say this despite even agreeing with me on numerous occasions where I DID oppose something Sakurai said or did (e.g. Lucina).

I also have outright said that if Rosalina was a Peach clone in Smash, it would legitimately ruin the character for me entirely, and I'd likely have lost quite a bit of interest in her.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Sure, Ridley's main ability has always been flight, oh wait...IT ISN'T, IT HASN'T EVER BEEN! Oh, and what about Kirby and Dedede? You're simply making up excuses to defend Sakurai, and you shouldn't, he deserves to be called out on his bull****, I'll go 'OMG Sakurai Senpai has finally noticed OMG Sakurai you are so great you make great games' when he actually does something that deserves praise. When he gives DK a non-jungle stage, when he gives Metroid playable representation other than Samus x1000, when he makes a non-lava Metroid stage, when he gives new stages to all franchises like he should...

Until then, Sakurai can add all the ****ty arcade modes he wants, and add all the C-Listers, bottom of the barrel playable characters he wants, but he won't be getting any gratitude from me.

Also, on the DLC article, he says that the fanbase thinks he hasn't done enough, well, newsflash buddy...
YOU HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH!

If Sakurai wanted me to have fun, he'd stop ****ting on my favorite Nintendo franchises with half-***** excuses for content, what's that? No Metroid Prime remixes? No DK remixes outside of DK Island Swing for the 10000th time?

@ ChikoLad ChikoLad I just love how you try to justify nearly every single one of Sakurai's stupid decisions, would you be defending him as much if Rosalina was a Peach clone? "But she looks similar to peach, she floats and she looks pretty, so it makes sense for her to be a Peach clone!" I doubt it. The defending of Falcondorf is particularily insulting.
I like sakurai as a game developer but I must agree. Mario gets two newcomers and a clone but Star fox and mother get cuts. Kid icarus, a series barely deserving of 2 characters gets that plus a clone. Pikmin is stuck at one rep even though it's deserving of 2 and has a second character basically already in the game. Mario get's 3 new stages on the 3DS version yet metroid, yoshi and star fox are stuck with old stages.

Sakurai has some clear bias going on here

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Does it actually matter who's playable?

By focussing too heavily on what details we want, we forget about the big picture.

Ridley doesn't need to be playable for the game to be enjoyable, and if you think he does, maybe you actually don't like Smash Bros. that much after all.

Folt

Smash Ace
I like sakurai as a game developer but I must agree. Mario gets two newcomers and a clone but Star fox and mother get cuts. Kid icarus, a series barely deserving of 2 characters gets that plus a clone. Pikmin is stuck at one rep even though it's deserving of 2 and has a second character basically already in the game. Mario get's 3 new stages on the 3DS version yet metroid, yoshi and star fox are stuck with old stages.

There's some clear bias going on in your post.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

And the fanbase has some clear childish behavior going on as well.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663

The disrespect of Sakurai is incredible and repulsive. He has devoted large portions of his life to create these masterpieces of game design. He wants people to love his games and have fun playing them. That's all! Believe it or not, Sakurai wants you to have fun! It is the penultimate goal. And all people can do is whine and whine and whine about the one thing he didn't include. All I hear is: "Me, me, me, me, me." It's disrespectful of the one person who matters THE MOST in the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to SMASH. Without Sakurai, Smash Boards would not exist. Smash would not exist. The entire notion of a Smash-like game would not exist. He has worked, so so so incredibly hard to give this game to us. Probably harder than most people work towards any one dream in their lifetimes. And to degrade him? It's looking a gift horse in the mouth and then punching the guy that gave it to you. It's classless. It's horrible. It's borderline sociopathic. Just stop it people. Stop.
As long as you aren't implying we shouldn't question any action he does at all, I agree wholly. He's essentially the overworked but still-beating heart of Smash.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I love how you say this despite even agreeing with me on numerous occasions where I DID oppose something Sakurai said or did (e.g. Lucina).

I also have outright said that if Rosalina was a Peach clone in Smash, it would legitimately ruin the character for me entirely, and I'd likely have lost quite a bit of interest in her.
Unlike you with Sakurai, I only agree with you when you're right. So you aren't considering the fact that Ganondorf's made much less interesting by not being at all like his Zelda series counterpart?
And the fanbase has some clear childish behavior going on as well.
The super-passionate behavior is a reaction, a reaction to something deeply and truly wrong.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice

Pit CAN'T fly freely.

Ok, your dark pit thing is kinda stupid. Smash Bros. doesn't follow any sort of canon. And even if by some chance it does with Kid Icarus, it's still a bad point. WHy? Because Dark pit flies freely during the ending.

Secondly, since when is flying Ridley's "main character trait". Metaknight's flying is a staple of his character, just like Ridley. The stupid thing is saying "Free flying" is the character trait Ridley is know well for. What the ****? Who cares if a character can't "fly freely". All that would really matter is if Ridley can fly, even if for a limited amount of time. Plus, when you fight Ridley in the games, you don't fight him as he "flies freely" you fight him on the ground. Yeah sometimes he'll fly around for a bit, but he's not permanently in the air. Metaknight, however, had an entire phase of his bossfight where he flies around freely. This is stupid. Try again.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
As long as you aren't implying we shouldn't question any action he does at all, I agree wholly. He's essentially the overworked but still-beating heart of Smash.
You can question his actions... but pulling a -user who shall not be named- and blaming him for EVERY SINGLE THING he does is childish

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Unlike you with Sakurai, I only agree with you when you're right. So you aren't considering the fact that Ganondorf's made much less interesting by not being at all like his Zelda series counterpart?

The super-passionate behavior is a reaction, a reaction to something deeply and truly wrong.
super-passionate behavior or a tantum? I have looked over spoiled kids who don't get there way and oooh boy, you all are acting much like them. Basically what I'm saying is

Go take a ****ing nap and calm down please

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ok, your dark pit thing is kinda stupid. Smash Bros. doesn't follow any sort of canon. And even if by some chance it does with Kid Icarus, it's still a bad point. WHy? Because Dark pit flies freely during the ending.

Secondly, since when is flying Ridley's "main character trait". Metaknight's flying is a staple of his character, just like Ridley. The stupid thing is saying "Free flying" is the character trait Ridley is know well for. What the ****? Who cares if a character can't "fly freely". All that would really matter is if Ridley can fly, even if for a limited amount of time. Plus, when you fight Ridley in the games, you don't fight him as he "flies freely" you fight him on the ground. Yeah sometimes he'll fly around for a bit, but he's not permanently in the air. Metaknight, however, had an entire phase of his bossfight where he flies around freely. This is stupid. Try again.
He was using the power of flight, just like Pit. Dark Pit can't actually fly freely on his own.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
He was using the power of flight, just like Pit. Dark Pit can't actually fly freely on his own.
Did you play Uprising? He can fly on his own. He stated it as soon as he came out of the mirror. he only lost Power of Flight after Pandora was resurrected but he could fly on his own

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Did you not read the part where I said "I completely agree" with the notion of Smash Ganondorf being less desirable than Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf?

I was just saying that there is a BASIS for why he is the way he is, like every other character. Nobody's fighting style it pulled out of thin air.

Dark Pit didn't fly by himself in the ending. Viridi granted him the Power of Flight. He lost his own natural ability to fly after defeating Amazon Pandora.

Also, Smash does have official canon:

Smash 4 definitively takes place AFTER Subspace Emissary.

Also, Ridley is pretty defined by his ability to fly. There are entire boss fights in the Metroid series (and in Brawl) that revolve around his ability to do so.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Did you not read the part where I said "I completely agree" with the notion of Smash Ganondorf being less desirable than Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf?

I was just saying that there is a BASIS for why he is the way he is, like every other character. Nobody's fighting style it pulled out of thin air.

Dark Pit didn't fly by himself in the ending. Viridi granted him the Power of Flight. He lost his own natural ability to fly after defeating Amazon Pandora.

Also, Smash does have official canon:

Smash 4 definitively takes place AFTER Subspace Emissary.

Also, Ridley is pretty defined by his ability to fly. There are entire boss fights in the Metroid series (and in Brawl) that revolve around his ability to do so.
Shadow Bug??? oooh those. I didnt know thats what they were called

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
This all could have easily gone like this.

Ridley Opposers: "Ridley is too big..."

Ridley Supporters: "NO HE'S NOT!!!"

Sakurai: "Ridley is too big..."

Ridley Supporters: "......... Okay......."
I think it's more of a closure type of thing, so people know not to wish/request for him anymore.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
- Make Meta Knight dance and moonwalk
Is it bad that I want this? This would be hilarious.

Ah this thread.... catching up on stuff was painful, alot of repetitiveness goin on.

Just understand what sakurai decides, he decides, thats life, nothing you can do about it.

YOU HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH!

Bro calm down, also kirby and DDD dont fly all the time i dunno why you're saying that. there's nothing you can do, whats done is done.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Did you play Uprising? He can fly on his own. He stated it as soon as he came out of the mirror. he only lost Power of Flight after Pandora was resurrected but he could fly on his own
The Power of Flight enables Dark Pit/Pit to fly. If Dark Pit could fly on his own, then why did he fall off the edge after resurrecting Pit? He's using Viridi's power of flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom