• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I can kinda see where he's coming from there but still... the lack of easy, free flight never stopped them putting in Charizard... or Dedede, or Kirby... However the fact that he's kinda meant to be huge in most games still sticks as much as I like him (thank you, retsupurae)

Though at the same time, you could turn that into a character point, that he's powerful, fast and maneuvers well but is such a big guy that he's an easy target.

Ah well, still look forward to partnering up with the Ridley clone.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, say what you will about Ridley's inclusion, but there's no argument for Ganondorf being true to his portrayal in Zelda games.

Yeah, he looks like Twilight Princess Ganondorf, and they didn't make him a speedster guy with weak moves and nothing magical going on.

Wow, so you basically described doing the bare minimum to not make Ganondorf into a completely different character. Like the fact that they didn't turn Ganondorf into Sheik is the same thing as "accurate."

But his sluggish speed isn't really that accurate. When you fight him in Wind Waker and in Twilight Princess, he might not be running around at high speed, but he's quite agile and quick with his blade(s) - he's not a lumbering tank.

Almost none of his moves are drawn directly from the games (the Sparta kick is... not much else).

He uses projectiles in almost every appearance (even more so when you include beast Ganon from LoZ/LttP/Oracles).

He uses a sword or trident in almost every appearance, and fights barehanded in none of them.

Ganondorf might be a brutal powerhouse in his games - but the thing is, he's not a mere brute. He is not HULK SMASH. That's not his thing, at all. His thing is to shoot magic at you from afar (LoZ/LttP/OoT/Oracles/TP), to hover or warp around (LoZ/LttP/OoT/Oracles) and use invisibility (LoZ/LttP) to keep you on your toes, he controls the arena itself (LttP/OoT/TP). And when he's not doing that, and fighting more directly and physically, he's an agile, precise and powerful swordsman (WW/TP) who parries and gives brutal counterattacks. He doesn't run, not because he's slow but because he doesn't have to. He's a mastermind villain who uses magic and minions to keep Link busy or blocked out by forcefields, Zelda trapped and bring ruin upon Hyrule. He doesn't lumber around breaking things with his fists like he's the ****ing Hulk or Juggernaut or something, and if you think that's in character for him, you haven't paid any attention to any Zelda game.

And when you compare Ganondorf to Link or Pit or Samus or Palutena or Pikachu or Yoshi - the extent of the inaccuracy is pretty hard to miss.

And that's why people who claim his move set is fitting just because he's powerful are completely off-base.

And that's why it smells like BS when Sakurai says that Ridley can't be in because it's all about accuracy.
First off, calm down.

Second off, I never said his moveset couldn't be improved. What I stated was that the current moveset fits him for who he is and isn't as inaccurate as people keep saying. Adding moves from the games would be a wise move and make him more representative of who he is, but claiming he is outright not true to his character is false. THAT was what I was saying. I'm sorry if I came across as thinking he shouldn't get a new moveset.

Third off, making an agile and powerful character who also takes forever to kill in a fighting game is absolutely broken. In order for balance to work, Ganondorf needs to slow down.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Valid points,but even if a projectile/teleporting/trick-based Ganondorf would be close to his LoZ self,many people may not like him that way.
He's really powerful in Smash,and that's satisfying.But he has to be slow to balance it out.
Still you do have a point,yes.Ganondorf often uses his head.
But he has to be slow to balance it out.It's true, and that's the problem. Speed vs power has always ben the thing in Smash, with speed alwyas on the top(64's and Brawl's fastest characters get their own tiers, Brawl
slowest also gets his own... at the bottom.). Lack of power in hits doesn't matter if you're landing them so fast. Large power in your hits doesn't matter when they're being dodged then punished.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
But he has to be slow to balance it out.It's true, and that's the problem. Speed vs power has always ben the thing in Smash, with speed alwyas on the top(64's and Brawl's fastest characters get their own tiers, Brawl
slowest also gets his own... at the bottom.). Lack of power in hits doesn't matter if you're landing them so fast. Large power in your hits doesn't matter when they're being dodged then punished.
That's when heavy characters get ways to basically hit through all of the little attacks. Things like super armor and such.

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
I didn't read the thread but I hope someone brought up how Ganondorf and to a lesser extent Wario are totally faithful to how they are in their games through Smash.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
That's when heavy characters get ways to basically hit through all of the little attacks. Things like super armor and such.
Yes, but in the end a good dodger, even with characters that suck at racking damage, will end up with less dmage overall, as more weak hit sin is better than less heavy hits in.

D

Deleted member

His reasoning is silly, period, and this is coming from somebody who isn't even a rabid Ridley fan. The obvious truth is that he just doesn't personally find the character appealing as a fighter. "Accurate portrayal" isn't a valid argument. It's grasping at straws if anything. The entirety of Smash Bros. takes huge liberties with regards to how it portrays the characters. Ridley doesn't have to be the size of a house to come off as intimidating - look at Ganondorf. Ridley doesn't have to be given the ability to fly freely - look at Charizard.

And regardless of everything I just said, including a highly requested character is simply a smart business choice. That's why we're getting Mewtwo as DLC - because somebody over there had the guts to say, "Guys, we're being really stupid. If we just give the people what they clearly want, we'll make more money."

Sorry to everybody trying to stick up for the guy, but Sakurai doesn't have a point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DDCWGD

Smash Rookie
What's so baffling to me is that, in a game with Rosalina, Little Mac, Villager, ROB, and Captain Falcon as playable characters, someone that is essentially brawl Bowser with wings is somehow the epitome of Smash design and the most unimaginably difficult to implement as a character.

It must've been hell to design a character that sucks in the air or has to manage their puppet character, so to see Sakurai say that size and proportions are a problem is just incredibly perplexing. Sheik exists as a concept-art character, so he could have just used a concept design of Ridley that's in the scale he wants. He even adds stuff to ZSS just cuz, but can't bear to see Ridley have smaller proportions or folded wings. Sakurai says his character is important when ROB had none and is given a massive design overhaul and a comply BS'd moveset. Sakurai says outright that a character is impossible, then goes and adds them in the very next game AND having them be the very first reveal.

I'm hoping the real reason is because Other M flopped, Nintendo said "no new metroid character," and some PR guy told Sakurai to say that really contradictory statement. I really don't want to think that Sakurai's definition of compromise is to not give people what they want.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
His reasoning is silly, period, and this is coming from somebody who isn't even a rabid Ridley fan. The obvious truth is that he just doesn't personally find the character appealing as a fighter. "Accurate portrayal" isn't a valid argument. It's grasping at straws if anything. The entirety of Smash Bros. takes huge liberties with regards to how it portrays the characters. Ridley doesn't have to be the size of a house to come off as intimidating - look at Ganondorf. Ridley doesn't have to be given the ability to fly freely - look at Charizard.

And regardless of everything I just said, including a highly requested character is simply a smart business choice. That's why we're getting Mewtwo as DLC - because somebody over there had the guts to say, "Guys, we're being really stupid. If we just give the people what they clearly want, we'll make more money."

Sorry to everybody trying to stick up for the guy, but Sakurai doesn't have a point.
I'm pretty sure they try to get the key character points down so you can really feel like you're playing as that character. They want that at the very least. Then they adjust certain aspects so that they work in gameplay.

Ganondorf is threatening because of the feeling of power you get whenever he attacks or moves. He moves slowly and hits like a brick. Is Ridley also a powerhouse along those lines, or is his character more agile?

Ridley doesn't need to fly freely, that's true.

Fanservice only gets you so far. If it turns out that the Ridley that becomes playable actually sucks, then the game will be worse off.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

This. Why can't Sakurai say that he doesn't want Ridley in? Oh wait, the rabid Ridley fans are gonna throws some bricks through his windows, egg hiw house, and send death threats each day! There might be someone out there who would think of doing one of those. ANd even though that "might" exists for every (non) character's fanbase, the fact that easy excuses for Ridley are exploitable means that in the minds of the many, each Ridley fan is like the aforementioned rabid ones. And it's unfair. Not being allowed to like a character because of what others do to get him in? Ridley has my support because i think he deserves to make it. Who deserves a slot more: Dr. Mario, a Mario from after he defeats Bowser. or Ridley, the true persistent boss that keeps coming back, is extremely large, and killed the protagonist's family, setting the whole series in motion, and by extension earning Samus her spot in Smash anyways? I think the latter.

Then there's the exploits. "Ridley is too big" is the main one. "How are they gonna scale down such a huge character. You're such an idiot for wanting that purple piece of crap in." First, that's referencing Barney, not Ridley. Second, orignal Ridley is barely taller than a6"3 Samus that was scaled down or Smash. That or Snake was scaled up, he's supposed to be 5 inches smaller than her. Oh, and Pikmin are half the height of batteries, but not in Smash. Pikachu's the size of a 10 year old's head.. no. He;s bigger than a massively oversized Olimar, and just as big as Kirby, whose 8 inches. Ganon is supposed to be 1.5* bigger than link... while kneeling. Not in Smash. And as for Bowser:

http://i.imgur.com/j2MAP.png

Do i need to explain(Yes, Bowser's size fluctuates, but so does Ridley's. And Ganon's, to a lesser extent)? The point is, almost every character was scaled for Smash, and as the 14 year old I am, if i was in Smahs i'd have to be scaled down, or be as tall as Snake, who is how old? Yeah, they'd scale me down. And scaling ridley isn't hard with this pic to base off: http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/08/Samus and Ridley/Finished/Metroid01--article_image.jpg
Aww? Look at dose kute wittle wings which don't have to be scaled! Yeah, give him 2 midair jumps with wings that small. It's justified. Or give him as many is Jiggly. That's also justified.

But Ridley isn't deserving of a character slot! I mentioned that already. he set the events of the sries into motion, Samus wouldn't be the way she is without his interference. But what about palette swaps? http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...7/Ridley_Palette.png/185px-Ridley_Palette.png
That's a good example.

Dear Ridley Detractors: find other reasons and i will respond appropriately. Not rabidly. That's a promise.

And yes, i know a bad Ridley would be worse than no Ridley. I don't want a bad Ridley. I want a good Ridley.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ganondorf is threatening because of the feeling of power you get whenever he attacks or moves. He moves slowly and hits like a brick. Is Ridley also a powerhouse along those lines, or is his character more agile?
Ridley could have some quick, weaker moves and some slow, strong ones. He could have fast air speed but poor ground speed, or maybe he could have fast running speed like Charizard with a good recovery, but he's slow in the air. There are plenty of options. Only categorizing characters as slow powerhouses or weak speedsters is much too limiting.
If it turns out that the Ridley that becomes playable actually sucks, then the game will be worse off.
Mewtwo was awful in Melee and while that sucked, that didn't stop anybody from wanting him back in the game. So no, the game wouldn't be worse off. And with the possibility of patches, bad characters can be improved, unlike Melee Mewtwo who is forever awful outside of fan mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Eh it still can happen- He made similar comments about characters such as the villager and quite frankly they will be hitting the bottom of the barrel of hype-inducing characters quite soon. At the very least the fact that he is in the game in some form or other is better than nothing and if Nintendo's plans to make more spinoffs featuring their lesser seen "main" IPs we might be seeing the likes of metroid/starfox/etc. more often bolstering their general popularity.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Unless you want the freakish NES ridley size that was never seen again and eventuallly retconned, then no size would be small enough.
I've seen mockup screenshots of Ridley that would fit just fine into the game.

And the real point here, once again, is that NO ONE cares if Ridley would be slightly too small for "canon". They just want to play as him...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
First off, calm down.
I'm calm.

Ganondorf being overhauled was one of my most wanted things for Smash 4 (and for Brawl, for that matter - which we did get, but not in a good way). It annoys me more than Ridley not being in... So I've had this argument before, and I have my points all thought out.
What I stated was that the current moveset fits him for who he is and isn't as inaccurate as people keep saying. Adding moves from the games would be a wise move and make him more representative of who he is, but claiming he is outright not true to his character is false. THAT was what I was saying. I'm sorry if I came across as thinking he shouldn't get a new moveset.
Yeah, but I was saying, yes, it is that inaccurate.

I think he's close to being minimally faithful. He's just faithful enough that there are people like you who will say it kinda fits. But "powerful", "Sparta kick" and "beast transformation" are pretty much the only things that the move set gets right.

It's unclear how Sakurai could get you to say that the move set is too inaccurate if all he has to do is add purple smoke and give him super powerful smash attacks and you'll say it fits.
Third off, making an agile and powerful character who also takes forever to kill in a fighting game is absolutely broken. In order for balance to work, Ganondorf needs to slow down.
I'm aware that characters need to be balanced.

But no, he doesn't need to be as sluggish as he is now. Evidence? Ganondorf in Melee. Like... it's been done before. "Like Brawl/Smash 4 Ganondorf, but faster" already exists. At any rate, this is irrelevant. His move set being Falcondorf rather than Canondorf is not a result of balancing considerations.

If he were to get a weapon, or a projectile, or what have you, this would need to be balanced by making him slower or less reach or even less powerful (him not having something as powerful as Warlock Punch wouldn't exactly make him "weak"). He doesn't have to represent everything about his canon appearances, obviously some compromises have to be made as they are with other characters. I just want him to represent more than Sparta kick and Beast Ganon FS.

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I think Sakurai has a good point here. While I think we do need more playable Metroid Representatives, which there aren't really any other characters to choose from besides Samus and Ridley... Ridley just wouldn't be himself if he was about the same size as Samus. The Ridley I know comes back constantly about 10 times larger then Samus. I don't count NES Ridley purely because of NES limitations.

This is the Ridley I know and love... A boss that puts you on edge... and if he was playable... I doubt he would have the same effect. Like I've seen the Brawl mods for a playable Ridley... And I just can't help but laugh and say "He looks like a little pterodactyl. I could just squeeze him, he's so cute," him being small literally would be an issue.

I can't say I wouldn't like to play as him... But I know he wouldn't be true Ridley if they tried to make him playable and NOT broken.

Rakath

Smash Ace
There are two aspects to how to make the character 'feel' right, the first is look. Looking at the characters in a vacuum (just that character and nobody else) they are all proportional to themselves (ratios between limbs, body, head, etc). The second item is play style 'fitting' to the world they are from. Falcon has zero in-game basis to his moves, but making him generally very fast moving feels right because... he's from a racing game.

With that in mind here's where Ridley has problems. Ignoring early incarnations where Ridley is 90% head and .01% wings, which is mostly old school console graphical limits, Ridley's proportions are fairly awkward. He has a lot more wing than body (compared to Pit and Charizard who have a lot more body than wing), which either leads to unfun (as Ridley) playstyle if those wings are a hurtbox, or unfun for everyone else gameplay if those aren't a hurtbox. And to shrink Ridley down, keeping him proportional, would just look awkward no matter how you do it. Yes, I include the Ridley from the Melee opening as awkward. And if you tweak his proportions (shrinking his wings down to something manageable), then he isn't really Ridley anymore. And before anyone says 'what about upright Yoshi' that isn't the same thing as his proportions haven't changed.

From the point of view of having him feel right, Bosses are noticeably imbalanced and hard to face off with, he'd have the same issues as Black Knight from PoR would, being too much in all directions to really be a fun playable character. He would need to feel like a big scary dangerous space pirate dragonsaur. Which just wouldn't come across if he was 'Bowser sized' (which would mean big huge wings and this tiny spindly thinner than Pit body).

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627

Ridley can work, it just takes a bit of work to make him fit. Yeah he would have to be shrunk but as far as other characters go it's not a huge problem. I mean I can't see it as any different to Pikachu, one of the things that defines Pikachu is his size in that he's constantly seen on Ash's shoulder in the anime, he was sized up to make him compatible with the game. The only difference I can see between Ridley's case and Pikachu's case is that they were pretty much forced to make the effort to make Pikachu work due to him being one of the major players, yet I don't see anybody complaining that Pikachu doesn't work like this.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Is there any new Metroid gaming even coming out...?

The unspoken and actual true reason is that his character would not have been a worthwhile advertisement for anything.

Folt

Smash Ace
Really, this thread will get more and more personal the longer it persists. It's getting increasingly difficult to have a good debate with decent arguments, and some people simply won't yield their points or even read the thread so we see much of the same stuff come up over and over again.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Well there you have it. Until Sakurai steps down as the director we'll never get Ridley playable.

For this reason alone I hope Sakurai doesn't return for Smash 5. Anyone who takes his place would make Ridley playable. Please let this be Sakurai's last Smash.
I want to punch you so hard right now.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Well there you have it. Until Sakurai steps down as the director we'll never get Ridley playable.

For this reason alone I hope Sakurai doesn't return for Smash 5. Anyone who takes his place would make Ridley playable. Please let this be Sakurai's last Smash.
For this reason alone I hope Sakurai (or someone who would do as Sakurai does) does return for Smash 5.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
For this reason alone I hope Sakurai (or someone who would do as Sakurai does) does return for Smash 5.
Whoever does future games I don't expect them to add Ridley either because of the same reason as he stated.
However I do hope he comes back just to see Ridley unplayable again, thanks to these annoying fanboys who bash the director of the game just because he respects the character enough to not to do something as horrible as what we can see in the video from the main page.

Whatever, they'll never learn.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
But no, he doesn't need to be as sluggish as he is now. Evidence? Ganondorf in Melee. Like... it's been done before.
True.Fast Ganondorf did exist and he wasn't even top 5,so yes,it could be done.

The choice to make Ganondorf a clone was probably made in a hurry,and cloning him off Falcon was probably the easiest choice while keeping him 'slightly' Canondorf.As a clone,who else would work?Marth?Ganondorf dosen't use a sword that much.Ness?They'd have to scale him up(a lot of work) and even then his moveset would be too magic-based.

Mind you,I realize this argument is null and void now.His status in Melee was excusable,but his lack of an overhaul is not.If priority placed him low on the list,it shouldn't have.It's his 3rd Smash game,he's a veteran now.He deserves attention.And honestly,only his animations and a few moves to be changed.

Project M is a perfect example.He has 2 new magic moves and 1 new sword move,but he's that much closer to canon.

However it could be the team is afraid to alienate Ganondorf veteran players with a new moveset,but they are being shallow-minded.As far as I know,Project M has not alienated any Ganondorf players with his new moves(he basically had his warlock punch changed to a damaging sword slam taunt,and got 2 new moves( a cape flick that deflects projectiles ) and a hover ) that gives him new mindgames.It can be done.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What the hell's your problem with Ridley man? Do you go on every thread possible celebrating the fact that Ridley's not playable?
Whoever does future games I don't expect them to add Ridley either because of the same reason as he stated.
However I do hope he comes back just to see Ridley unplayable again, thanks to these annoying fanboys who bash the director of the game just because he respects the character enough to not to do something as horrible as what we can see in the video from the main page.

Whatever, they'll never learn.
Or the detractors will never learn that Ridley can work if you want to make him work, there have been tons of evidence to show that Ridley could perfectly work, including THE Metroid series, where his wings are resized, so if the source material doesn't care, then it makes no sense to use the 'faithful representation' argument.

Oh, and to all the salty detractors not wanting Ridley because they want to see his fans suffer, you truly are sad, sad human beings.

the8thark

Smash Lord
What the hell's your problem with Ridley man? Do you go on every thread possible celebrating the fact that Ridley's not playable?

Or the detractors will never learn that Ridley can work if you want to make him work, there have been tons of evidence to show that Ridley could perfectly work, including THE Metroid series, where his wings are resized, so if the source material doesn't care, then it makes no sense to use the 'faithful representation' argument.

Oh, and to all the salty detractors not wanting Ridley because they want to see his fans suffer, you truly are sad, sad human beings.
I agree with Sakurai on this. If you have a problem with that, go complain to Sakurai about it. His game, he calls the shots, not me. You just can't accept the fact that Ridley was proven not to be able to work as a humanely playable character.

I think you need to learn to accept this fact and move on.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Is there any new Metroid gaming even coming out...?

The unspoken and actual true reason is that his character would not have been a worthwhile advertisement for anything.
Is there any Duck hunt game coming out to be a worthwhile advertisement? What about Mega Man? Robin and Lucina are old hat as well. Might as well not have included them why you're at it.

What a dumb comment you made.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I agree with Sakurai on this. If you have a problem with that, go complain to Sakurai about it. His game, he calls the shots, not me. You just can't accept the fact that Ridley was proven not to be able to work as a humanely playable character.

I think you need to learn to accept this fact and move on.
You just can't accept the fact that Ridley has been proven tons of times to be possible as a humanly playable character, you and Sakurai need to accept the facts and leave aside personal biases and overall hatred for the Metroid series and the Ridley fanbase, who has only grown bitter because of a man that has refused to listen to reason for 15 years.

And I have a problem with YOU, because you're the one celebrating Ridley's exclusion like it's something to be happy about. You are tactless and ignore the fact that there's a huge number of people sad about his misrepresentation.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
You just can't accept the fact that Ridley has been proven tons of times to be possible as a humanly playable character, you and Sakurai need to accept the facts and leave aside personal biases and overall hatred for the Metroid series and the Ridley fanbase, who has only grown bitter because of a man that has refused to listen to reason for 15 years.

And I have a problem with YOU, because you're the one celebrating Ridley's exclusion like it's something to be happy about. You are tactless and ignore the fact that there's a huge number of people sad about his misrepresentation.
There is no misrepresentation of Ridley. Sakurai explained it pretty well. He told everyone the facts. It's up to everyone to choose to accept or ignore the facts. Sakurai got it right.

I'm not throwing a party because Ridley is not a humanly playable character. Ridley is in the game. And I think that's the best compromise that could have been done. If you have a problem with me, that's fine. I don't have a problem with you. Either you accept the truth "as said by Sakurai" or you do not. Rather straightforward that is.

I don't hate the Metroid series at all. I thought Super Metroid back in the day and Metroid Prime 1 were amazing games. I liked them a lot. I just am not letting my like for an IP bias my thoughts on it. I'm basically saying a character from an IP I really like is best handled as it was. Not every character should be or can be a humanly playable character. I can accept this. Many others can accept this. Hopefully one day you will accept this as well.

People had their time to be sad when this news was announced months ago. Time to move on and just enjoy Smash WiiU for the amazing game it is (now or in a week like us Aussies and EU people will wait for). I had to get over the :roymelee: cut. Yes we are all allowed to be sad, these cuts or non inclusions (as people want them to be included) to hurt a lot. But eventually you have to stop crying over them and move on.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Okay for the love of your favorite god figures, stop freaking arguing and insulting each other. You're not changing anything.

All we're doing is making both the Ridley supporters and the people who don't want Ridley look bad. Yes, there's a-holes on both sides, but seriously, remember Smash is just a game and we're screaming at each other over ONE character who happens to be arguably the most deserving. This "war" isn't changing Sakurai's view on Ridley or Ridley's chances in a future game. And I'm willing to bet that people who don't want Ridley won't change their minds if you insult them, and vice versa.

Am I disappointed with Ridley's representation? Hell yes.

Do I wish he was playable? Most definitely.

Do I think we should be at each other's throats because of it? No.

These fights are completely and utterly meaningless, and makes some members of the Smash community look really immature.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Many point out that Ridley's deconfirmation was obvious all those months ago, but the biggest elephant in the room that people constantly seem to forget was Sakurai's overall trolling this time around.

Not having the Smash symbol appear when Rosalina's trailer first aired in the Direct, having Monolith Soft tweet about the live stream to make everything think Shulk was gonna be revealed only for Robin and Lucina to show up instead, having DH in a blurred out PotD just before the 50 Facts Direct but Bowser Jr.'s aired in their place, Palutena in general...

And then you got non-newcomers like Chrom and the Assist Trophies. They were all handled consistently in a straightforward way with no dancing around the fact, and at times when their position wasn't immediately clear, Sakurai or even Nintendo themselves would swiftly clear things up.

But then, how was Ridley treated the whole time? Kept in shadows, cryptic wording (never mentioned by name), and even after the April Direct when lots of people including myself weren't a 100% convinced, to the point where surely Sakurai and other higher-ups must have noticed, they didn't say a dang thing and broke the pattern used by every other non-newcomer surrounded in confusion.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Wait a minute. People are saying they want Ridley regardless of whether or not he is portrayed accurately, but then go on to complain that Ganondorf isn't portrayed accurately. What this is telling me is that if Ridley were to just be put in so people would be happy, they would be happy for a short while before complaining that his character is all wrong. Is that what we really want?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Wait a minute. People are saying they want Ridley regardless of whether or not he is portrayed accurately, but then go on to complain that Ganondorf isn't portrayed accurately. What this is telling me is that if Ridley were to just be put in so people would be happy, they would be happy for a short while before complaining that his character is all wrong. Is that what we really want?
Well said. And you get it 100%. I think people are saying that exactly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some don't actually care if he's beyond accurate. I certainly don't. As long as he's fun and relatively balanced, I'm happy. I think balance is an issue Sakurai hasn't come up with. And his role in the Wii U version looks like he's tried to make him playable, but hasn't succeeded just yet.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is pretty much going nowhere, just about every post is either salt or trolling/flaming.

If you wish to continue discussing the character Ridley himself, as he does not qualify for DLC discussion in the Smash 4 Forum, I would recommend moving discussion to one of the many social threads or creating/going to the appropriate social group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom