• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not really, because I'm exaggerating. If you took that seriously, I don't really care. You'll get over it.
Exaggerating or not. There are just some things you don't say.

So do not say anything like that again.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Ahem... Have you forgotten about poor Ganny? I guess all that time I spent explaining doesn't matter since people would sacrifice their first born child to keep Ridley from being playable.
Just because he doesn't have all his moves from the main games doesn't mean that his character is lost.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Shouldn't this thread be locked? I haven't read much of it, but I'd assume by now its run its course and besides, from the little I did read, its just pro and anti ridley peeps flinging doo doo at each other just like ANY Ridley discussion :rolleyes:

EDIT: and that gets tiresome rather fast

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How about you worry about what you say, while I worry about what I say? Sound good?
I'm a mod.

It's my job to worry about what you say.

My patience is running thin. Either debtae politely or don't debate at all.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/08/Samus and Ridley/Finished/Metroid01--article_image.jpg

This proves everything he said wrong. Actually, not really. it just proves the "Ridley is too big, it's gonna ruin him to scale him down" thing wrong.

The thing i hate is that if you want Ridley in the game, you are a hopeless idiot with no reasoning or brain processing that has a hopeless delusional dream that will never in a million years happen. So i guess i'm a hopeless idiot with no reasoning or brain processing that has a hopeless delusional dream that will never in a million years happen, right?

Honestly, what's the difference between wanting Mewtwo and wanting Ridley. They're both characters, except Ridley is far more important to his franchise. Ridley is the reason Samus is the way she is. He doesn't go away easily. And he's not too big. The only reason Ridley can't get in is because Sakurai doesn't want him too. I'm sure he knows how many people have disproven the "Ridley is too big thing".

But he isn't putting Ridley in. And unless that changes, no matter what anyone does, he's not getting in. And i don't see how a couple extreme people can define a whole group of people, most of which are unrelated, that simply want a character in as hopeless idiots with no reasoning or brain processing that have hopeless delusional dreams that will never in a million years happen.

We all want our characters in, nobody should be singled out for insults because of who that character is.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Just because he doesn't have all his moves from the main games doesn't mean that his character is lost.
I gave a huge explanation as to why he's misrepresented. There's more to it than his moves. He also doesn't have ANY of his moves from the game.

Point being, Ridley wouldn't lose all his character just because he's sized down.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
I'm a mod.

It's my job to worry about what you say.

My patience is running thin. Either debtae politely or don't debate at all.
Ooooh you're a mod on a videogame forum? Wow, I'm scared now. In all honesty, there was nothing wrong with what I said, you just took it too seriously. I offered to end it, so why don't we drop this?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He wasn't just talking about "size" though. The physical body is easy to scale, but there's balancing among the wings, tail, as well as making sure his moves are reasonably balanced while still capturing the essence of the character.

So far, he's done an excellent job at that for every character playable. So it's not as easy as people think it is. Many of the Ridley mods have serious balance issues, so not even the fans have gotten it right yet. It'll take a long time. Also, keeping him somewhat terrifying is key too. I don't feel he did that well with his hazard/assist version, compared to his amazing Brawl variants, but eh. What's done is done.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Ooooh you're a mod on a videogame forum? Wow, I'm scared now. In all honesty, there was nothing wrong with what I said, you just took it too seriously. I offered to end it, so why don't we drop this?
Sorry if this is rude, but it's because you being sarcastic, silly, and sarcastically silly at the same time. The things you are saying are quite rude, and he has a higher status here as a mod, unlike us who have been here about a month, So give him some respect.

He wasn't just talking about "size" though. The physical body is easy to scale, but there's balancing among the wings, tail, as well as making sure his moves are reasonably balanced while still capturing the essence of the character.

So far, he's done an excellent job at that for every character playable. So it's not as easy as people think it is. Many of the Ridley mods have serious balance issues, so not even the fans have gotten it right yet. It'll take a long time. Also, keeping him somewhat terrifying is key too. I don't feel he did that well with his hazard/assist version, compared to his amazing Brawl variants, but eh. What's done is done.
Oh yeah, i realized what was wrong with my post and edited it a little before you posted this. So yeah.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Sorry if this is rude, but it's because you being sarcastic, silly, and sarcastically silly at the same time. The things you are saying are quite rude, and he has a higher status here as a mod, unlike us who have been here about a month, So give him some respect.
Respect is earnt and not automatically granted based on someone's title.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The point people are trying to say is that if he just changed things around for the sake of gameplay then he could have done it with Ridley.

And I'm pretty sure you caught that point Frost. You're a smart guy. You wouldn't miss that point. I think you're misinterpreting it on purpose.
My point is: gameplay mechanics from original games =/= character portrayal. You can't just entirely recreate their original mechanics in Smash. Some just don't work.

Link being able to jump on his own and Kirby having limited (but still more compared to other characters) jumps don't detract from their portrayal. Smash Bros. is a different genre of game, so things must be changed.

There's a reason why Link draws some elements from Zelda II. Both that game and Smash are 2D side-scrollers, so mechanics translate better from one game to another.

Truth is that Ridley is shown to be a menacing fearsome dragon. Size plays a role in that, even if not essential, which is why you can't simply slap a Ridley model in the game, shrink it and call it a day. That's where Sakurai is getting at.

And before anyone has any wrong idea of what I'm trying to tell, yes, I have seen the Ridley mods for Brawl, but some of them don't feel very compelling to me. Either they're oddly animated, possess broken moves and overall don't have a sense of quality I get from any other character, even other modded characters.

Ridley has very odd body proportions that are very unique compared to any other character to have been playable in Smash and that makes him particularly harder to work with. His boss appearance with a lot of similar mechanics and animations as playable characters suggests Sakurai experimented with him, but couldn't find a way to make him feel right as a playable character.

I think what Sakurai had in mind for Ridley was a large character (a new concept for Smash that some other fighting games have had before) with heavy emphasis on aerial combat. That's what he believes to work for him and frankly, that would bring something new and interesting to the roster, something important for Sakurai when adding characters (last minute clones notwithstanding).

However, such a concept requires much more work to be balanced and avoid brokenness and that isn't easy and not very compelling when there's limited time for development. All that work might be better spent on adding other sort of content, including more characters. Considering Sakurai's stance on DLC, he didn't consider the choice of leaving him as such.

Remember Sakurai stances on the Miis and the Villager. Back in Brawl, he considered them, but didn't find a compelling way to implement them. Now, we have Miis as customized fighters and the Villager as a sort of fighting clown who uses a plethora of tools to fight with.

At least, we know that Ridley was considered as a playable character this time, so maybe the next Smash will finally bring him to the playable roster. Mind that Nintendo has plans for new Metroid games. A lot can change in the generation gap, which reminds me of Bowser Jr., who's based mostly on games released after Brawl. New games for him gave Sakurai new material to work with and the end result was, in my opinion, fantastic. Bowser Jr. is easily one of the best newcomers when it comes to creativity, to be honest. Likewise, if Ridley is portrayed in those upcoming titles in a way that can compellingly translate to Smash Bros., he may end up making it in the roster.

Last edited:

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/08/Samus and Ridley/Finished/Metroid01--article_image.jpg

This proves everything he said wrong. Actually, not really. it just proves the "Ridley is too big" thing wrong.

The thing i hate is that if you want Ridley in the game, you are a hopeless idiot with no reasoning or brain processing that has a hopeless delusional dream that will never in a million years happen. So i guess i'm a hopeless idiot with no reasoning or brain processing that has a hopeless delusional dream that will never in a million years happen, right?

Honestly, what's the difference between wanting Mewtwo and wanting Ridley. They're both characters, except Ridley is far more important to his franchise. Ridley is the reason Samus is the way she is. He doesn't go away easily. And he's not too big. The only reason Ridley can't get in is because Sakurai doesn't want him too. I'm sure he knows how many people have disproven the "Ridley is too big thing".

But he isn't putting Ridley in. And unless that changes, no matter what anyone does, he's not getting in. And i don't see how a couple extreme people can define a whole group of people, most of which are unrelated, that simply want a character in as hopeless idiots with no reasoning or brain processing that have hopeless delusional dreams that will never in a million years happen.

We all want our characters in, nobody should be singled out for insults because of who that character is.

I like how Sakurai tried to make up a reason for Ridley not getting in rather than just saying he didn't want him/ didn't have enough time to prevent outrage, but just ended up making everyone more angry than they would have been.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Sakurai is human,sometimes he contradicts himself by mistake.
'The 3DS didn't hold back the Wii U/will not' is outdated now,he may not have realized ICs would be a problem then.If he will still say that to your face,then he is a liar.

Perhaps Sakurai simply feels Ganon is canon in Smash.Remember,Sakurai is the director but there are many others working on the game.Sakurai may be talking about the team as a whole on these matters.Perhaps the majority of the team feels Ganon is accurately represented.Even if he shares some moves/animations with Falcon,many of his moves serve different purposes,at least.I personally don't feel that Ganon is as accurate as he could be,but perhaps development time was not sufficient to edit Ganon due to priority,and as a whole the team felt Ganon was at least passable as is.

As for Ridley,the team just may not think he would end up satisfactory,if they tried to represent him well( large size,strong air attacks.)It is hard for me to imagine a good scaled-down Ridley,but it could be done,I think.Maybe the team even proto-typed him but weren't pleased with the results.Also,they may not feel he is suitable as a character,rather than a boss,but I don't see that logic.Bowser should be a boss in that case.

What I am trying to say is,Sakurai is not solely responsible.Accurate representation is based on a perception of a character,which is subjective.They feel Ganon is accurate,but a playable Ridley would be difficult to make accurate,or even being playable would not be accurate.Who knows...

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
'The 3DS didn't hold back the Wii U/will not' is outdated now,he may not have realized ICs would be a problem then.If he will still say that to your face,then he is a liar.

Perhaps Sakurai simply feels Ganon is canon in Smash.Remember,Sakurai is the director but there are many others working on the game.Sakurai may be talking about the team as a whole on these matters.Perhaps the majority of the team feels Ganon is accurately represented.Even if he shares some moves/animations with Falcon,many of his moves serve different purposes,at least.I personally don't feel that Ganon is as accurate as he could be,but perhaps development time was not sufficient to edit Ganon due to priority,and as a whole the team felt Ganon was at least passable as is.

As for Ridley,the team just may not think he would end up satisfactory,if they tried to represent him well( large size,strong air attacks.)It is hard for me to imagine a good scaled-down Ridley,but it could be done,I think.Maybe the team even proto-typed him but weren't pleased with the results.Also,they may not feel he is suitable as a character,rather than a boss,but I don't see that logic.Bowser should be a boss in that case.

What I am trying to say is,Sakurai is not solely responsible.Accurate representation is based on a perception of a character,which is subjective.They feel Ganon is accurate,but a playable Ridley would be difficult to make accurate,or even being playable would not be accurate.Who knows...
For all the negativity in this thread, you're pretty spot on about what's probably going on. I just wanted to take time to say that directly to you. :starman:

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
I gave a huge explanation as to why he's misrepresented. There's more to it than his moves. He also doesn't have ANY of his moves from the game.

Point being, Ridley wouldn't lose all his character just because he's sized down.
Ganondorf is still represented as the physical and magical powerhouse that he is in the main Zelda series. Ridley is meant to be menacing and cunning. Being big helps with the menacing part, and the fact that he allies with others in Smash could be him making a temporary alliance to take out the other enemies he wants to kill before backstabbing his ally.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
My point is: gameplay mechanics from original games =/= character portrayal. You can't just entirely recreate their original mechanics in Smash. Some just don't work.

Link being able to jump on his own and Kirby having limited (but still more compared to other characters) jumps don't detract from their portrayal. Smash Bros. is a different genre of game, so things must be changed.

There's a reason why Link draws some elements from Zelda II. Both that game and Smash are 2D side-scrollers, so mechanics translate better from one game to another.

Truth is that Ridley is shown to be a menacing fearsome dragon. Size plays a role in that, even if not essential, which is why you can't simply slap a Ridley model in the game, shrink it and call it a day. That's where Sakurai is getting at.

And before anyone has any wrong idea of what I'm trying to tell, yes, I have seen the Ridley mods for Brawl, but some of them don't feel very compelling to me. Either they're oddly animated, possess broken moves and overall don't have a sense of quality I get from any other character, even other modded characters.

Ridley has very odd body proportions that are very unique compared to any other character to have been playable in Smash and that makes him particularly harder to work with. His boss appearance with a lot of similar mechanics and animations as playable characters suggests Sakurai experimented with him, but couldn't find a way to make him feel right as a playable character.

I think what Sakurai had in mind for Ridley was a large character (a new concept for Smash that some other fighting games have had before) with heavy emphasis on aerial combat. That's what he believes to work for him and frankly, that would bring something new and interesting to the roster, something important for Sakurai when adding characters (last minute clones notwithstanding).

However, such a concept requires much more work to be balanced and avoid brokenness and that isn't easy and not very compelling when there's limited time for development. All that work might be better spent on adding other sort of content, including more characters. Considering Sakurai's stance on DLC, he didn't consider the choice of leaving him as such.

Remember Sakurai stances on the Miis and the Villager. Back in Brawl, he considered them, but didn't find a compelling way to implement them. Now, we have Miis as customized fighters and the Villager as a sort of fighting clown who uses a plethora of tools to fight with.

At least, we know that Ridley was considered as a playable character this time, so maybe the next Smash will finally bring him to the playable roster. Mind that Nintendo has plans for new Metroid games. A lot can change in the generation gap, which reminds me of Bowser Jr., who's based mostly on games released after Brawl. New games for him gave Sakurai new material to work with and the end result was, in my opinion, fantastic. Bowser Jr. is easily one of the best newcomers when it comes to creativity, to be honest. Likewise, if Ridley is portrayed in those upcoming titles in a way that can compellingly translate to Smash Bros., he may end up making it in the roster.
I appear to be starting to be a huge goober, trying to gratulatate people on their post if I think they're good.. so I'll do that once again. Hell-of-a-post. Designers of all kinds have all sorts of ideas that can not be implemented for different reasons, one being that they don't really work along with the rest of the game, even tho' a fan might suspect it does according to their interpetation of what that game is.

the8thark

Smash Lord

Sakurai feels Ganondorf (not Ganon, he's not playable in Smash) is represented well. But do Aonuma and Miyamoto agree with this? Those 2 invented LoZ and keep making the LoZ games, not Sakurai. Ganondorf in Smash is nothing like he is in the LoZ games. I am ok with it but that's just how I feel.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Respect is earnt and not automatically granted based on someone's title.
Well, i personally am not going to disrespect anyone regard less of status or anything, but since he's a mod he had to gain a good reputation. You don't just get he rights to be a mod. You usually have to earn it. SO if he earned the title of a mod, I'm sure he deserves the respect any other person should get.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Maybe Sakurai shouldn't have said anything at all about it.
In my opinion, it's not that he said it, but the timing of the statement. Posting a controversial statement on a highly divisive character basically amounts to setting off a nuclear bomb of reactions as it is. Posting it the day before release was, quite frankly, a poor decision. Not even a month passed since the Extravaganza. If he let more time pass before addressing the issue, the fallout may not have been as massive. It was going to be huge anyway, but timing is what did a number on it.

And on another note, I am disgusted at the amount of people having the audacity to taunt moderators in this specific thread. It's sickening, never mind illogical.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Sakurai feels Ganondorf (not Ganon, he's not playable in Smash) is represented well. But do Aonuma and Miyamoto agree with this? Those 2 invented LoZ and keep making the LoZ games, not Sakurai. Ganondorf in Smash is nothing like he is in the LoZ games. I am ok with it but that's just how I feel.
You're right about Ganon,that's probably my laziness kicking in.

But also,yes,most likely Aonuma and Miyamoto don't feel that way,yes.That was what I meant about the subjective perception of a character.

And just by looking at the source material,Ganondorf is not represented well in Smash,yes.Primarily,he attacks with swords and magic.But I have seen the interesting point that generally he does use brute force enhanced by strength like in OoT.

TP does have him using a sword,but the impression you mainly get is not his skill with a sword,but his overwhelming physical strength.

WW does have him using swords,yes,and that fight DOES make you feel he is skilled with blades( though the person I saw make these arguments stated he was clumsy in that fight. )

In a LttP,he does not really focus on fighting with his trident,but with magic.

So,while hand-to-hand combat isn't really what springs to mind if we think of the 'dorf,a closer look says that physical strength + a bit of magic is what he often uses,along with a weapon sometimes.If he used a bit more magic attacks,he'd be close to his character without using a sword,though one or two sword attacks would be a sweet reference.

These arguments aren't solely mine,I saw someone make most of these points before.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
And on another note, I am disgusted at the amount of people having the audacity to taunt moderators in this specific thread. It's sickening, never mind illogical.
The moderators gave and took as much (questionable) words as everyone else did in this topic. Some of the moderators are just as in the wrong as some of the members are here. Anyone can make mistakes, even the moderators.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
The moderators gave and took as much (questionable) words as everyone else did in this topic. Some of the moderators are just as in the wrong as some of the members are here. Anyone can make mistakes, even the moderators.
Yes, that's right, we;re all human. But nobody has a reason to just troll, annoy or insult someone else for not making the best comments. At this point, no side is in the right and imo it would be best if this thread got locked considering the path it's taking.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, what I specifically said, since it may have been unclear, was that people were effectively taunting mods as is, regardless if they are wrong or right. It's not the context to me, it's the act. The arguments themselves aren't the issue; I'd encourage civil discussion between user and moderator myself. It's just that people ignore that and simply talk back over and over. That's what's sickening to me, not the argument of right and wrong.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Yes, that's right, we;re all human. But nobody has a reason to just troll, annoy or insult someone else for not making the best comments. At this point, no side is in the right and imo it would be best if this thread got locked considering the path it's taking.
I agree both the moderators and the rest of us made mistakes here and both the moderators and others trolled the others for their mistakes.
Locking this topic would be a good idea I think. So I agree with you on that. This topic has served it's purpose and it'd give everyone a chance to cool down.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I agree both the moderators and the rest of us made mistakes here and both the moderators and others trolled the others for their mistakes.
Locking this topic would be a good idea I think. So I agree with you on that. This topic has served it's purpose and it'd give everyone a chance to cool down.
I also think locking this topic is for the best.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
And none of that changes the fact that RIdley wasn't that much bigger than Samus in at least one of the Metroid games.

Seriously, Ridley and Bowser both change sizes between games.

Once again, Ridley's size is absolutely no reason to exclude him from the game.

He doesn't want Ridley in the game for other reasons he's not sharing, but if he said THAT, he'd be getting bricks through his window from angry Ridley fans. :p
Unless you want the freakish NES ridley size that was never seen again and eventuallly retconned, then no size would be small enough.

Bowser has a place in a height chart comprised of mario characters where he matches up with his smash size almost exactly.

Sakurai is getting hate regardless, but he wouldn't care as he is making a game for a bunch of kids, after all.

The point people are trying to say is that if he just changed things around for the sake of gameplay then he could have done it with Ridley.

And I'm pretty sure you caught that point Frost. You're a smart guy. You wouldn't miss that point. I think you're misinterpreting it on purpose.
What Sakurai said is that doing that for Ridley would have taken away an important part of his character, and i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment he has.

I also agree with the sentiment of locking this thread, it's just a bunch of people throwing around their opinions as fact, when that obviously isn't going to help at this point

Last edited:

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Why do I feel like this interview...and the one about no plans for DLC characters, are part of a set up and him being a gigantic troll.

And to be honest, I was not expecting ANY dlc characters. MewTwo was a huge shock to me, and now I don't believe that it will just be him.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why do I feel like this interview...and the one about no plans for DLC characters, are part of a set up and him being a gigantic troll.

And to be honest, I was not expecting ANY dlc characters. MewTwo was a huge shock to me, and now I don't believe that it will just be him.
Outside of Mewtwo, he made it sound like nobody else was planned yet. Note that later on we were confirmed he'll be paid DLC, so maybe around that tie we'll have a few more choosable characters?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Outside of Mewtwo, he made it sound like nobody else was planned yet. Note that later on we were confirmed he'll be paid DLC, so maybe around that tie we'll have a few more choosable characters?
And he said paid dlc was not a plan. Looks like since he changed his mind about that, he might change his mind about other things.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Honestly, what's the difference between wanting Mewtwo and wanting Ridley? They're both characters, except Ridley is far more important to his franchise. Ridley is the reason Samus is the way she is. He doesn't go away easily. And he's not too big. The only reason Ridley can't get in is because Sakurai doesn't want him too. I'm sure he knows how many people have disproven the "Ridley is too big thing".
I mean, Mewtwo is a veteran, so they have something to work off of, and we know how he works, but Ridley has never been in Smash as a playable character before, and would thus be a newcomer. There is a difference, but whatever. It's not important in the grand scheme of things.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I think we'll get 1 or 2 DLC fighter with Mewtwo.
Sakurai said a fighter takes about a year to balance out,which is why we won't get him till spring.However,the whole team can't take that long to do their slice of work on Mewtwo surely,such as the art team?
In terms of balance,surely not all of the team will enjoy playing as Mewtwo or fighting him,and thus cannot contribute to the process too much.
I could be wrong,it just sounds like with only one character there will be wasted man-hours.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I think DLC is going to happen, whether Sakurai wants it to or not. Nintendo is getting buried in money from Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors DLC so there's no way they'd pass up an enormous cash grab as this. Also, as the past has shown, Sakurai is totally capable of changing his mind on things. There's a good number of characters in Smash Bros that wouldn't even be in (Metaknight, Dedede, Sonic, Lucina, Villager, etc) if Sakurai's opinion hadn't changed about them at some point.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ganondorf is a powerful warlock who can kick your *** with physical and magical attacks in the main Zelda games. That's what his character in Smash Bros does as well. Not misrepresentation.
Honestly, say what you will about Ridley's inclusion, but there's no argument for Ganondorf being true to his portrayal in Zelda games.

Yeah, he looks like Twilight Princess Ganondorf, and they didn't make him a speedster guy with weak moves and nothing magical going on.

Wow, so you basically described doing the bare minimum to not make Ganondorf into a completely different character. Like the fact that they didn't turn Ganondorf into Sheik is the same thing as "accurate."

But his sluggish speed isn't really that accurate. When you fight him in Wind Waker and in Twilight Princess, he might not be running around at high speed, but he's quite agile and quick with his blade(s) - he's not a lumbering tank.

Almost none of his moves are drawn directly from the games (the Sparta kick is... not much else).

He uses projectiles in almost every appearance (even more so when you include beast Ganon from LoZ/LttP/Oracles).

He uses a sword or trident in almost every appearance, and fights barehanded in none of them.

Ganondorf might be a brutal powerhouse in his games - but the thing is, he's not a mere brute. He is not HULK SMASH. That's not his thing, at all. His thing is to shoot magic at you from afar (LoZ/LttP/OoT/Oracles/TP), to hover or warp around (LoZ/LttP/OoT/Oracles) and use invisibility (LoZ/LttP) to keep you on your toes, he controls the arena itself (LttP/OoT/TP). And when he's not doing that, and fighting more directly and physically, he's an agile, precise and powerful swordsman (WW/TP) who parries and gives brutal counterattacks. He doesn't run, not because he's slow but because he doesn't have to. He's a mastermind villain who uses magic and minions to keep Link busy or blocked out by forcefields, Zelda trapped and bring ruin upon Hyrule. He doesn't lumber around breaking things with his fists like he's the ****ing Hulk or Juggernaut or something, and if you think that's in character for him, you haven't paid any attention to any Zelda game.

And when you compare Ganondorf to Link or Pit or Samus or Palutena or Pikachu or Yoshi - the extent of the inaccuracy is pretty hard to miss.

And that's why people who claim his move set is fitting just because he's powerful are completely off-base.

And that's why it smells like BS when Sakurai says that Ridley can't be in because it's all about accuracy.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Honestly, say what you will about Ridley's inclusion, but there's no argument for Ganondorf being true to his portrayal in Zelda games.
Valid points,but even if a projectile/teleporting/trick-based Ganondorf would be close to his LoZ self,many people may not like him that way.
He's really powerful in Smash,and that's satisfying.But he has to be slow to balance it out.
Still you do have a point,yes.Ganondorf often uses his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom