• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

S.L.o.T.H. : May 30th, Terre Haute IN BRAWL TOURNEY

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I'm torn.
I don't think it should be *banned*
But I'm also not sure at what point -one person on the ledge and another person is on the other side of the stage- is considered stalling.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm torn.
I don't think it should be *banned*
But I'm also not sure at what point -one person on the ledge and another person is on the other side of the stage- is considered stalling.
You're all bad.

If someone grabs the ledge and they have more %, just wait. The timer runs out, you win.

If someone grabs the ledge and they have less % than you, take the ledge from them and kill them.

This *****ing about "this person is far away and it might be hard to hit them" is stupid. No one has to play the way you want to play, and the fact you want to alter the rules because you just don't want to stop their strategy is dumb and it makes you a scrub.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
LoZ and Composer, you are the hosts, you make the rules.

Banning planking will lead to a funner tournament. I would institute a 50 ledgegrab rule.

PS: Planking in Melee? That will get you nowhere. The whole difference that makes the games so different is this:

In Brawl, you can camp and plank very effectively be it offstage or onstage. Once the opponent gets to you, you might get hit for 5-12% damage. This usually nets the camper a positive result aka less damage taken than given.

In Melee, you can camp and plank, sure. Falco for example can shoot lots of lasers. Once the opponent gets to you, things change. You get hit for anywhere from 25-Death%, and you will probably die. This generally results in a negative result for the camper, because even if he can put on 20% from lasers, the existance of comboes and bad recoveries makes this a bad strategy.

Melee therefore encourages mass skill, offense, and combo ability in order to suceed. In Brawl OoS game is fairly unstoppable. You can camp in shield vs most opponents and if you get grabbed so what, you take 6% damage. In Melee, you get grabbed and almost every character can start a combo out of its grabs. This encourages the flashy movement we all know and love, because getting grabbed leads to combos against any character.

But it is whatever makes money for some ppl, like Overswarm, and that is totally cool. If I was interested in making money I would be doing the same thing.

PS: The Melee community is way more badass and almost never b*tchy. No rule complaints, and the matches are awesome to watch. Brawl matches are pretty lame TBH.

Sorry I got so in depth, but I figured I'd share.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
PS: The Melee community is way more badass and almost never b*tchy. No rule complaints, and the matches are awesome to watch.
You have no clue what you're talking about. I played Melee competitively since 2004 until the release of Brawl, and the scene is exactly the same in every way.

ice-

Smash Journeyman
You're all bad.

If someone grabs the ledge and they have more %, just wait. The timer runs out, you win.

If someone grabs the ledge and they have less % than you, take the ledge from them and kill them.

This *****ing about "this person is far away and it might be hard to hit them" is stupid. No one has to play the way you want to play, and the fact you want to alter the rules because you just don't want to stop their strategy is dumb and it makes you a scrub.

This. Stop banning **** b/c it is annoying/hard to get around/not fun to watch.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Okay, this is Indiana. Nobody is going to plank. Seriously. Even if someone DID plank, they PROBABLY wouldnt do it right/mess up. It's best that if you ban something, wait until it's actually become a probably so it doesnt seem like you're just banning random things without good reason/proof of why it should be banned.

If you dont ban planking, you wont get complaints unless someone does so after the tournament's already begun. If it becomes a big problem, ban it at the next tournament. The only person that's known to ever plank in the midwest is Overswarm, and i've played against him probably over 20 sets in tournament/money matches, and not once has he planked against me, or anyone else i've seen him play against . And this is someone that actually has VIDEOS of himself planking against two people to get wins. If HE doesnt even plank in tournaments to gain an advantage, why would anyone in indiana do so? And if they're not going to in the first place, why ban it?

Missing Person

Smash Apprentice
If it is NOT:

-An infinite
-A game breaking glitch
-A cheat of some kind

WTF are you doing trying to ban it in a COMPETITIVE environment? Stop scrubbing about it, learn to beat it.

IMO

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
You're all bad.

I totally agree with everything you said here, Overswarm. Great post. Banning planking / infinites / whatever is ******** and only scrubs do it.

Now follow your own advice and stop championing the idea of banning Metaknight! :p <3

Also, PEEF, your whole "I'm a Brawl to Melee convert!" idea and spamming threads with how much more "skill" melee takes is getting really ****ing annoying. I'm uninterested in hearing it and so is everyone else in this community. Go preach to the choir in a melee thread or something.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Now follow your own advice and stop championing the idea of banning Metaknight!
I tried waiting the timer out when MK has the ledge and has more %, and I tried taking the ledge from him when he has less %, but he doesn't seem to care. He just keeps winning on the stage. :[

'Cept vs. My metaknight. He ****s **** up.

So... projected numbers for this? I'm actually kind of interested in the Indiana scene, just to see what you guys have. It's either this or Test Your Might.

MetalMusicMan

So... projected numbers for this? I'm actually kind of interested in the Indiana scene, just to see what you guys have. It's either this or Test Your Might.
I'm also interested in attendance. I will either be attending SLOTH or Joker's Monthlies, and I'm not sure which at this point... test your might is 9 hours away from me, fawk that. lulz.

...Lol, Indiana scene.
My confidence is not boosted :\

Count

Smash Champion
So will you guys all calling banning that scrub scrubbish please tell me why the region with the country's best player as well as many other excellent players is full of 'scrubs?'

Like I said, I don't really care either way, I just don't think it is justified to label banning planking as 'for scrubs.'

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So will you guys all calling banning that scrub scrubbish please tell me why the region with the country's best player as well as many other excellent players is full of 'scrubs?'

Like I said, I don't really care either way, I just don't think it is justified to label banning planking as 'for scrubs.'
Because they have a scrub mentality?

"I don't like it, so I'll ban it"

MetalMusicMan

Overswarm said:
Count said:
Oversawm said:
M2K was the first person to suggest banning ledge stalling.
This just in from overswarm: Mew2King is a Scrub.
I would agree.
lawl.

it doesn't matter how "good" you are. you can still have a scrub mentality on an issue. the goal is to be totally objective and devoid yourself of all biased (scrub) thoughts.

i hate snake and wish he was banned. that doesn't mean he should be banned just because i don't like him. same goes for MK or planking or anything else. just because something is "gay" doesn't mean it should be banned, or that it is "dishonorable".

you need to learn how to differentiate your own personal bias from what the issue really is. if you can't do that, you're being a scrub. simple as that.

Count

Smash Champion
lawl.

it doesn't matter how "good" you are. you can still have a scrub mentality on an issue. the goal is to be totally objective and devoid yourself of all biased (scrub) thoughts.

i hate snake and wish he was banned. that doesn't mean he should be banned just because i don't like him. same goes for MK or planking or anything else. just because something is "gay" doesn't mean it should be banned, or that it is "dishonorable".

you need to learn how to differentiate your own personal bias from what the issue really is. if you can't do that, you're being a scrub. simple as that.
Me personally? I don't have any bias towards the issue. Let me state this again.

I don't care

I just think its funny that the best player at this game is a scrub.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
no no no, he's not saying he's a scrub. Just that he has a scrub mentality on that issue. They arent always the same thing.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
In other news, zozefup took 7th at a tourney in Ohio. Let's get the trash talk going again, lolz, instead of this boring planking stuff. It sucks, get over it.

Count

Smash Champion
I got ninth out of 47 last week at Play n Trade in Illinois.

I lost to OOK's DK in an extremely intense match. He got 2nd.

I then had to face arty in losers. He plays luigi which is an extremely hard matchup for me. I think i lost both matches one stock mid percent. He placed third.

So I got ninth but I lost to 2nd and third. Against OOK i won rd 1 intensely, lost round two on japes(ugh japes) and then lost rd 3 intensely on pokestadium. I think in my win I had 100 at the end and in my loss he was at about 140.

@zozefup Great stuff getting 7th in Ohio. I've played OS, AZ, infern, and tyr from that tourney..and fonz I guess. OS and AZ beat me while I barely beat infern and I beat tyr. I can't wait to play your mk, I've heard great things about it.

So thats my tournament update, can't wait till sloth.

SmashLeagueOTH

Smash Cadet
Yeah well...I got 1st out of 3 in a tournament I had in my room yesterday. So. I'm pretty much the best. Ever. Lol

Beat that Count.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I thought I was bad VS diddy, but I knocked Cake out of pools. I won most of our friendlies too. Plus I'm going to get some AZ practice, so you Diddy scrubs (and Mario and Gannon scrubs) are going down! :p

But yeah, thats crazy about you beating Infern. That guy is insane. I felt hopeless. I usually own snakes too (Rookie), but it didn't matter. He knows that MK match up in and out

And I agree with Metal, I think Snake should be banned. He is obviously very out of place in this game

Tyr knocked me out of losers, but our games were extremely close, and I don't think he will do it again.

Count

Smash Champion
Good stuff..we should team in the future..I already told AVP I'd team with him...you other IN guys we should have smashfests or something..or maybe I will try to get something organized I want this scene to pick up.

Good stuff again..I think I'm better than cake because I usually do better vs common opponents and beat him in a diddy ditto..but its really hard to say and diddy dittos are dumb as can be.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Lol definitely. Diddy is a BEAST in teams. I played against OS and AZ and it was ridiculous! Diddy is so good at approaching and dealing damage. All OS had to do was gimp and Dsmash out of shield lol. I do decent against diddy in singles because I can camp a little and I don't have to approach, bu that option is gone in teams. People get hit with those bananas left and right in teams.

I teamed with Cake, and we didn't place that well, but we were still a good team. We lost because we had OS and AZ round one, and Infern round 2. We actually almost beat Infern + Travesty, but I got stuck in a 1 on 1 at the end and he smoked me lol :(.

But yeah, Diddy is pretty amazing in teams

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Count, I am hosting smashfests, just look in my sig, my next one should be in the first week of June.

For realz.

EDIT: Also, I JV 4-stocked someone today, I was too happy.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I suck with Diddy in teams, lol. WARRRIOOOO.

My brother hates Diddy @_@. I've been playing matches with him (he's taking me); my ICs vs. his Mario and my Snake vs. his Marth. Whenever I use MK he gets annoyed yet it's still close (I suck with MK), although whenever I use Diddy or Wario he just hates me x_x.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Why would he play Mario, he's SUUUUUUCH a bad character, and he definantly doesn't have a super long-ranged Fsmash that nobody seems to know about.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Why would he play Mario, he's SUUUUUUCH a bad character, and he definantly doesn't have a super long-ranged Fsmash that nobody seems to know about.
...lol?

Nice sig Overswarm. I would add to that that you are cooler in person than you are on the forums.

PS: You've got to come to this now. I'm looking forward to meeting you again.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I don't know WTF I'm going. Depends on numbers, mainly.
TYM will most likely have more than this... I've almost convinced western new york to bring a carload and the place said they were expecting locals as well. This should put us around 50 players.

Plus, you can get revenge on Shugo although I still doubt you can beat him.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
TYM will most likely have more than this... I've almost convinced western new york to bring a carload and the place said they were expecting locals as well. This should put us around 50 players.

Plus, you can get revenge on Shugo although I still doubt you can beat him.
I'm pretty sure I can beat him with MK... but he stil hasn't even played my ROB. Can't do **** against that.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I'm pretty sure I can beat him with MK... but he stil hasn't even played my ROB. Can't do **** against that.
not quite sure how Shugo's ROB matchup exp is but I've gone toe to toe with your ROB since day 1. You have this button on your controller that makes your opponent freak out though. Out of all the times I've played on frigate orpheon (hundreds) I've only SD'd from the stage flipping on two occassions. Both of those occasions were against your ROB. I guess you'll just have to show up to TYM to prove me wrong about Shugo though.

Count

Smash Champion
Meh, TYM will probably have more numbers. But you should come here! Hopefully Louisville at least does.

And yes, don't pay attention to OS on forums, he is a great guy in person. He walks around with that t shirt and a goofy grin on his face that shows his love for smash bros. He will probably make a post now trying to be mean, because that is how he likes to think of himself on the interwebz.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Ducky said he didn't like Overswarm because he was cocky.

But I haven't met him, but I don't mind cocky people so eh. But he should come here, but he probably wants more $$$ that he won't win because Shugo is there.

Top Bottom