• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

S.L.o.T.H. : May 30th, Terre Haute IN BRAWL TOURNEY

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Kentucky isn't as dead as you think. Murray State University has monthly smashfest with 30-50 people at every event. They don't post them on smashboards though because they're only 4 hour tournaments with no money involved. But yeah, good point. As far as real tournaments go, kentucky is dead.

Also. Thanks PEEF. Since you said that, overswarm has decided not to come. Since overswarm is not coming, Louisville is not coming. Since Louisville and OS aren't coming, St. Louis is probably not coming. I'm not even sure if me or my crew (6 people) are coming now.

In conclusion, if you hype a tournament as having 40+ players have a name like Overswarm thinking about attending, you'll get 40+ players. If you say it's going to be a crapy tournament with 20 scrubs, it will be a tournament with 20 scrubs (if even that).

This tournament can still easily hit 40+ if people will HYPE!!!

I'm completely against giving unrealistic player numbers, but this tournament is still 2 weeks away and a lot of people are talking about coming. As the tournament date gets closer, we will have a more accurate number on who all is coming. If overswarm and 40+ players attend, I know at least 10 players from southern IL/Murray that would be interested. Everyone around here is a big OS fan XD

1. Rob Gambino (Marion, IL)
2. Zozefup (Marion, IL)
3. She Geek (Marion, IL)
4. Missing Person (Marion, IL) Rob
5. Lz (Marion, IL) Sheik
6. Oatts (Murray, KY) Gannon/Luigi
7. Gilbert (Murray, KY) Rob
8. DJW (Murray, KY) Olimar
9. Chunn (Murray, KY) ZSS
10. Thankman (Paducah, KY)
11. Lorran
12. (Lorran's friend, forgot name?)

Plus 4 or 5 more from St. Louis. But yeah, I'm sure not everyone will come, but many will. If this doesn't get hyped though then I doubt any of us will come.

This is one of the few tournaments that show up near us Southern IL/KY folks. So if it's a decent size tournament, everyone will try not to miss it.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Hey, all I was trying to do is calm people down. It is better to have 25 people come expecting 25 people, than have 25 people come that are expecting 60.

Sorry Loz and Composer for supposedly ruining your mood. I'm all about hyping tournaments, but I know how they work, and you can always count on at least a quarter of your promised attendees to john out the night before. It would be silly to promise 100 people if 100 people weren't coming. That gets people to never come back.

Also, there is no reason you guys should be so excited to give your money to Overswarm. He isn't coming, big deal. It's Overswarm, you will hate how he plays and you will probably lose. I'm indifferent as to if he comes or not. He's not some flashy lord.

LoZ, I suggest you make a list of Guaranteed and Maybe attendees so there is no speculation.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Who likes watching OS play?
Umm.. lol. 10-20% of my matches go to time. I'm a slightly bigger plank fan than OS though. His matches are fun to watch if your a campy player. It IS flashy to watch someone not be able to catch you

Also, there is no reason you guys should be so excited to give your money to Overswarm.
Meh. I already have a $20 MM with him. (I'm not expecting to win, and even if I did, I wouldn't accept OSs money) XD
Besides, OS is broke and homeless, the only way he gets to eat is by winning smash tournaments lol

edit: and I am going to get flamed for this post. Oh well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Meh. I already have a $20 MM with him. (I'm not expecting to win, and even if I did, I wouldn't accept OSs money) XD
Besides, OS is broke and homeless, the only way he gets to eat is by winning smash tournaments lol
This is more true than you think, but if you win you'd take the money and a picture!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Overswarm not coming /=/ Louisville not coming

They were thinking about coming before Overswarm said anything.

EDIT: Honestly, 20 people or 60 people, I MUST come to this, because there are no tourneys here ever and it sucks sooooo bad.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm willing to do that. If I win, you're signing my shirt in green. Since this is a $20 MM, I'll let you sign my shirt in red. Your name + "$20 MM!" if you beat me. The world will know!

Zozefup

Smash Lord
LOL! I'll bring poster board and we will hang it all over the walls too! Maybe we can talk Genesis into playing the video of our entire MM. All 13 games of campy chaos! XD

Count

Smash Champion
I watched overswarm's sets with AZ from a few weeks ago. He honestly didn't play that lame. I think he finally realized that dair comping is NOT the most effective strategy against diddy. Ledge stalling is banned at this tourney, yes? I should really learn to read the first page.

SmashLeagueOTH

Smash Cadet
**** people. I didn't check this board for like two days and it blew up... What's with all this anti-hype. I didnt start SLoTH to get crazy numbers of people. I just wanted to host a tournament or two in the summer for my fellow Brawl players. Will there be 60 people at this? Probably not. But let's be optimistic, it certainly will make more people come. If we keep the hype up I KNOW we can have atleast 40 people. I'm honestly more worried that people won't be able to find the hotel than I am that they won't show up. So if you're coming keep the HYPE going. If you're not...either be quite or keep the HYPE going anyway. I'm super psyched for this tournament and the next one should be even better.

-Smada-

PEEF!

Smash Hero
40 people would be solid. SLOTH needs to start a attendees list, and put notable people in the title.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
guaranteed from SI is:

Zozefup
Rob Gambino
She Geek
Missing Person
Lz

Everyone I named earlier are 'maybe' coming. I'll know for sure closer to the date.

ice-

Smash Journeyman
I watched overswarm's sets with AZ from a few weeks ago. He honestly didn't play that lame. I think he finally realized that dair comping is NOT the most effective strategy against diddy. Ledge stalling is banned at this tourney, yes? I should really learn to read the first page.
Why would it be banned?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
rarely is the rule used, actually... especially in the Midwest lol.

Planking =/= Stalling, but some tournaments still ban planking which is fine. But it's quite a bit different.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
You guys just HAAAAAD to give OS a new sig right?

Anyway, hype. XeroXen is coming, he mains Mario, everybody play him and win some money, all you have to do is not get hit. Plus, he mains a low tier, don't be afraid of the low tier!

ice-

Smash Journeyman
Because its banned at pretty much any tournament, lol?

It says in the OP that stalling is banned, so i suppose it falls under that category.

Some tournaments implement a ledge grab rule also. *shrug*

Shrug

The stalling roll only covers things like infinite graps, and other things to make the game unplayable. I don't see planking as doing that, and its a legit tactic.

(Although, I think stalling in general should be legal but that is just me)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Shrug

The stalling roll only covers things like infinite graps, and other things to make the game unplayable. I don't see planking as doing that, and its a legit tactic.

(Although, I think stalling in general should be legal but that is just me)
Yeah, there's too much of a fine line in it all. I watched Anther run around delfino for the last 15 seconds of a game against AZ after he got a slight percent lead. It's too hard to say what's stalling and what's not to set a definite rule on it.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Planking =/= Stalling, but some tournaments still ban planking which is fine. But it's quite a bit different.
It didn't used to be different in melee days. I used to plank in melee, but someone would call the judge. He would say it was stalling and that I had to get off the ledge. Melee crowd is a lot different about that kinda stuff though. Anything ******** in melee is banned.

Count

Smash Champion
I like the ledgegrab rule, it lets you do it some but obviously not excessively. Planking doesn't bother me, my character is one of the better ones against plankers. I just don't really think it is fair against certain characters, whose options are very poor against plankers.

ylbassist16

Smash Rookie
Just read the OP again....

I am coming for sure as well as at least one of my friends, who is known as Fate on AiB, maybe two if my other friend doesn't work.

I will be bringing a full setup as well, and prolly a power strip too if I can find one at my house.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
It didn't used to be different in melee days. I used to plank in melee, but someone would call the judge. He would say it was stalling and that I had to get off the ledge. Melee crowd is a lot different about that kinda stuff though. Anything ******** in melee is banned.
Things banned in melee:

IC freeze glitch
jiggly rising pound

Things banned in brawl:

DDD infinite
Ness infinite
Planking ++ 60 edge grab rule
IDC
Sonic under stage infinite

How are more things even -remotely- banned in melee? Melee players just play. Brawl players whine. I planked in melee with Sheik and it was never really an issue. If waveshining across the stage was in Brawl, it'd be banned already i'm sure. In melee things were pretty much only banned for stalling. In brawl they're banned for...whatever the community wants, because the brawl community is full of idiots.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
DDD infinite
Ness infinite
Planking ++ 60 edge grab rule
IDC
Sonic under stage infinite
The only one banned is the IDC. "Sonic undre the stage" is countered by spot dodging, he goes straight down.

The jiggly rising pound / peach wall bomber was banned in melee just like stalling under the stage via gliding and the IDC is in Brawl; it just takes the player out of the game.

Also, I throughly enjoyed your game vs. Puffster.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The D3 Infinite should be banned.

And don't forget wobbling was banned in Melee too.
It was not. Only a few scrub hosts (tee hee) banned it. There was no evidence to ban it, it was just "gay" in their eyes.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I wobbled my way though lots of melee tournaments XD

And yeah, I agree about melee VS brawl. A lot of stupid things are banned in brawl that wouldn't be banned in melee.

ice-

Smash Journeyman
I like the ledgegrab rule, it lets you do it some but obviously not excessively. Planking doesn't bother me, my character is one of the better ones against plankers. I just don't really think it is fair against certain characters, whose options are very poor against plankers.

Then don't play that character :/

Shurg I guess I am prob in the minority but if you are trying to play a game competitively, you shouldn't limit the tactics.

If you are playing the game for fun I can see the difference, but when there is money on the line its a different story in my opinion.

also lol@OS

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I'm against the banning of planking because it really CAN be circumvented. It's not like IDC where it's physically impossible for people to hit the planker. Any character can hit the planker, just some can hit him more safely, like Diddy, Kirby, etc. Others like Falco just get put in a bad situation.

Also, the 60 ledgegrab rule doesn't seem to work, like, at all. It still beats characters that get beat by planking anyway, like Falco. The MK can just grab the ledge and stay on the ledge and not regrab; the Falco can't hit him, and it's technically not stalling because neither player is approaching. The Falco would essentially be forced to approach, and then the MK could just start ledgecamping with minimal ledgegrabs and gimp Falco. GG, he dies anyway.

Really, I feel that the rule just mindgames MKs into thinking they can't plank when they really can.

Top Bottom