• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

S.i.N. Needs Your Help - Banning Infinites

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Hey guys, the Smash in Nevada planning committee is considering banning the standing DeDeDe infinite and the DeDeDe walking chaingrab completely from the tournament. We'd like the input of DeDeDe users as to how this will impact how they perceive the game.

To clarify, the exact ban would look like this:
DeDeDe's standing infinite and walking chaingrab are banned. King DeDeDe may not regrab any character immediately after his down throw without using first his dash or giving them a chance to react, unless that character is thrown against a wall.
The reasons for this are many;
  • DeDeDe's grab range is huge relative to other character's attack and grab ranges. It limits options almost to an extreme in normal matches. With good play, DeDeDe will grab you.
  • The infinite applies to all of the neutral stages now that Lylat and Pokemon Stadium have been moved to the CP list.
  • DeDeDe's walking chaingrab is the highest damaging single character true combo in the game by a large margin. A comparable analogy would be Snake downthrowing you into a grenade explosion, into his neutral air, into a proximity mine into a remote mine detonation every time he got a grab. Most of the characters that can be caught in the infinite can be walking re-grabbed essentially to death. While in some highly regarded fighters like Hokuo no Ken, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (and the entire vs. Series), Guilty Gear, and many games in the Street Fighter series, infinites and 90%+ or full combos are the standard, in Brawl they are far from it, and many players come to us because they feel like they have more interaction with the game and the players than in traditional fighters.
  • The infinite requires less than an hour of practice. Most DeDeDe's don't use it in friendlies because they want to work on doing more difficult things, unlike in other games, where an infinite is regarded as a testament to technical skill.
  • "Planking" or excessive edgecamping, will be banned for stalling reasons, making a major potential counter to the strategy obsolete (get a lead and book it to the edge). At that point the game becomes stupid anyway.
  • The counterpick stage/character system slants the matchup hugely in DeDeDe's favor; if he can win the first match with no real effort, he has a good chance to win on almost any counterpick stage. He then has a chance to counterpick his own stage, many of which, such as Green Greens, Castle Siege, and Pictochat, give DeDeDe a huge stage advantage.
  • DeDeDe has never had a problem competing with the highest tiers in the game, nor would this ban affect that in any way.
  • Being infinited "requires no skill and is not fun". in the sense that it frustrates many new and experienced players, and is causing many players to doubt the legitimacy of the game. This is general scrubbyness common to any game, but it sure doesn't help us TO's build attendance or generate good fundamentals in new players. We feel that the game has been out long enough and played extensively enough at a national level that we can ban this and feel confident in our decision.
  • Characters like Samus, DK, Bowser, and Luigi become "legit" for tournament use, but not broken, nor close to it.

We want to hear about the ramifications of this decision from the community, to decide whether or not it would be a healthy adjustment. We'd like to hear about whether or not you think it would make Brawl more fun, more competitive, more entertaining, or less fun, less serious, less respected and less entertaining. We'd like to hear about players that picked up DeDeDe because of his infinite, and players that dropped their characters because of his infinite, or dropped the game because of it. Its also important as to whether or not you would attend out of state tournaments or take the game more/less seriously if the infinite and the walking grab is banned. Many players would go either way and do not care. Many players are concerned about the banning of the infinite ruining the legitimacy of the game (we certainly don't want Brawl to be a ban-fiesta, considering that items and planking are already banned). At the end of the day, what we tournament organizers want is for you to be able to come to the tournament and do whatever you want because that will be the most fun for you. This ban is "fair" and we believe it is balanced, but at the same time any option we limit is artificial, and we need to work hard to ensure that any new rules that we introduce are in line with the wishes of every player that plays, so please, if you have an opinion, post it.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Why the walking chaingrab? I understand the standing infinite, but the walking one is just crying to me. It's their fault if they get grabbed, and it's not our fault their characters have a bad matchups against us. The standing infinite is unfair, but complaining about the walking one is just johning.

Pious Geometry

Smash Rookie
Banning all infinite grabs should be implemented into the competitive tournaments.

Banning chain grabs should not but put into effect because the grabs can be avoided.

We have been dealing with chain grabs since Chu picked up ice climbers...Adapt your play style depending on who you are playing against.

Dont get...grabbed?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
There are characters that can't be dash chain grabbed but can be walking chain grabbed, this would effect D3 a lot.
He has enough weaknesses to compensate for the grab range.
The fact that this point has suddenly been mentioned worries me. I know I won't be playing D3 much if the walking chain grab were to be banned.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
If the term "walking chain grab" refers to walking an extremely short distance then re-grabbing (used against Bowser, and less effectively against Wolf, etc.), then I believe that should be banned as well as the infinite*.
Your rule is more than acceptable for me. If I understand it correctly, as long as Dedede dashes towards his opponent instead of walking, he may continue the chaingrab, even if the opponent has 0 frames to react.
If this is correct, then it is a fair rule.

*I would like to say mention that it takes some effort NOT to perform the walking chain grab on Bowser. Basically, if a Dedede fails to perform the regular chaingrab, he will instead perform the walking chain grab. As long as a Dedede does not abuse this loophole, it should be assumed that the event was a mistake, and should not be punished.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for the infinite chain grab being banned but the walking chain grab isn't that different than the normal chain grab (excluding Bowser). Before banning our chain grab maybe you should worry about the other infinite's that are out there, specifically the IC chain grab. Their infinite works on practically every character(If not all characters), While our infinite works on only five people(excluding the wall chain grab). IC can take you from 0% to death without even releasing you from there grab while Dedede players can't take you directly to death from our infinite. There are worse things than our chain grabs, do something about them first before acting upon ours.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
We've talked about banning or capping the IC's infinite, but doing so makes IC's so garbage that it wouldn't be fair at all to them. Enforcement is also a big issue, since in fact the IC player can decide at the end of the combo whether or not it is in fact an infinite or just a very damaging combo. The IC's also have to deal with separation and air/platform camping, while DeDeDe is so fat and has a good enough air game and big enough grab that he doesn't care.

To put it more plainly, we're not interested in banning the best and most damaging options in the game, just the ones that are so skewed they reduce a part of the game to one dimension.

Who can be walking chain grabbed and not dash re-grabbed? Luigi?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
What about ledge infinites?
Stay away from the ledges?

Pdiamond said:
Before banning our chain grab maybe you should worry about the other infinite's that are out there, specifically the IC chain grab. Their infinite works on practically every character(If not all characters)
Are you kidding? Grabs are so integral to Ice Climbers game, you might as well ban Snakes Mortar Slide, utilt and ftilt. You might as well ban shielding because Yoshi's shield is bad. You might as well ban anything good.

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
Dedede can get screwed by a d-tilt lock against a wall or infinited by Snake's d-throw at the ledge. Just learn to pick a different character when fighting Dedede. Pick G&W or Pikachu or something lol.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Dedede can get screwed by a d-tilt lock against a wall or infinited by Snake's d-throw at the ledge. Just learn to pick a different character when fighting Dedede. Pick G&W or Pikachu or something lol.
Snakes Dthrow isn't an infinite if your opponent has a brain.

Ban standing infinite, but not the chain grab. The chain grab is the reason that D3 is good, and his grabs can be avoided, you can play extra shield games and other shenanigans too.

Gotta go back to class.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Are you kidding? Grabs are so integral to Ice Climbers game, you might as well ban Snakes Mortar Slide, utilt and ftilt. You might as well ban shielding because Yoshi's shield is bad. You might as well ban anything good.
No, I am NOT kidding.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
Im okay with it... As long as you dont take out the regular chaingrab, then the only thing that happens is that we cant regrab luigi. His infinite makes certain characters unplayable against him. "Dont get grabbed" is not really a good counter to this, because d3's grab range is so large that its only a matter of time before you DO get grabbed and are then, basically, a stock down. We can more than function with his regular chaingrab, and I feel that their is worse things that could happen to d3 than having his infinite banned.

Irow

Smash Ace
I'd like to talk about Planking.

You're gonna need a much more definite rule against it, like a certain number of edge-grabs (Which you can check at the victory screen). You can't just say no excessive stalling, because it's very debateable what is too much - or if it even is a stall. You can argue that isn't so much as a stall as much as it is a form of camping in which you're putting yourself into a better position(Like any other form of camping). If I plank for a period of time, but I still win from a legitimate KO - Are you gonna say I didn't win? Or is the planking rule only gonna come into effect if the clock runs out? What if I plank even if I'm losing so that I'm in a better position? What if I just plank for like ten or twenty seconds at a time?

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
If you're going to ban the standing and walking Dedede chains, you should at least do something about the IC's alt grabs. Or do nothing about both. For both of them, you can just say "Oh, well just don't get grabbed", while hard, it IS possible. The walking and standing "infinites" both can lead to taking off a stock, but it doesn't lead directly into a kill move for the most part, unlike the IC alt grabs. Also, the alt grabs work on everyone, if I'm not mistaken, while Dedede's infinites and walking CG's only work on a select few characters. So that's what? 6-7 characters as opposed to the whole cast of 30+ characters, something like that.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind them out, but I'd also like to see all the other infinites/excessively long CG's out, too.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
If you're going to ban the standing and walking Dedede chains, you should at least do something about the IC's alt grabs. Or do nothing about both. For both of them, you can just say "Oh, well just don't get grabbed", while hard, it IS possible. The walking and standing "infinites" both can lead to taking off a stock, but it doesn't lead directly into a kill move for the most part, unlike the IC alt grabs. Also, the alt grabs work on everyone, if I'm not mistaken, while Dedede's infinites and walking CG's only work on a select few characters. So that's what? 6-7 characters as opposed to the whole cast of 30+ characters, something like that.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind them out, but I'd also like to see all the other infinites/excessively long CG's out, too.
We've talked about banning or capping the IC's infinite, but doing so makes IC's so garbage that it wouldn't be fair at all to them. Enforcement is also a big issue, since in fact the IC player can decide at the end of the combo whether or not it is in fact an infinite or just a very damaging combo. The IC's also have to deal with separation and air/platform camping, while DeDeDe is so fat and has a good enough air game and big enough grab that he doesn't care.

To put it more plainly, we're not interested in banning the best and most damaging options in the game, just the ones that are so skewed they reduce a part of the game to one dimension.
The differences between the two infinites are subtle, but a number of players have put in the work to get around the ICs and have succeeded. Other players have put in the work against DeDeDe (I know TheZeroForReal has). ICs players still have play with in the game's fundamentals; spacing, timing, you must recover, etc. DeDeDe vs. a few characters does not.

Our goal is to make the scene better at all levels.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
The differences between the two infinites are subtle, but a number of players have put in the work to get around the ICs and have succeeded. Other players have put in the work against DeDeDe (I know TheZeroForReal has). ICs players still have play with in the game's fundamentals; spacing, timing, you must recover, etc. DeDeDe vs. a few characters does not.

Our goal is to make the scene better at all levels.
What exactly do you mean "put in the work to get around the ICs"?

EDIT:
We've talked about banning or capping the IC's infinite, but doing so makes IC's so garbage that it wouldn't be fair at all to them.
I reread this, and found it pretty funny. I dare you to post that exact quote in the Ice Climbers forum. They're just as viable without their zero to death grabs as Dedede is without his standing infinites. You're interested in keeping your tourney scene fun, and I don't know anyone that finds getting 0 to death'd fun.

Now, I mean no disrespect, but I think you need to do a bit more research on the Ice Climbers.

Jupz

Smash Master
The standing infinite is unfair, but the moving one.... i mean only bowser and dk you can kill them if you do it from one side to the other, and thats pretty rare to get a grab like that, and wolf/wario/ganon dont really matter, you can only get around an extra 4-5 grabs

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
What exactly do you mean "put in the work to get around the ICs"?
"Doing work" in this case entails researching character specific strategies for tough matchups. If you havin matchup problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a matchup ain't one.
Now, I mean no disrespect, but I think you need to do a bit more research on the Ice Climbers.
No disrespect taken or intended. ICs are good characters, they have good moves and bad moves in the same way everyone has good moves and bad moves. However, to ban their infinites would be to take all of their metagame (not to be confused with potential) and significantly affects all of their matchups. The DeDeDe ban is more limited in scope, and does not significantly change the matchups or overly favor the characters that it benefits.

Nobody likes to get 0-deathed, but everyone likes to do 0-deaths and win matches. We strive to let every player do anything they are capable of within the mechanics of the game, but some rules give the game more depth, enjoyability, and playability all-around; for instance, the ban on items, stock mode, and the used of a 7-minute timer to prevent camping. What we're trying to decide is how a DeDeDe ban will affect the game's credibility, enjoyability and tournament attendance.

The general gist I'm getting is that the D-throw infinite is generally disliked, but many people think that you should just pick another character or not get grabbed, and that the walking regrabs are A-Ok tournament legit. I'd love to hear more input from everyone on the subject.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
This is totally insane. I can understand the infinite can be banned but the chain grab is pretty much equal to Falco's because of Falco's Dair at the edge for the finish. Also, King Dedede has more bad match-ups than you people think. For one, the obvious one, Meta Knight. His attacks have much more priority, and that combined with King Dedede being one of the slowest characters in the game, makes it a bad match-up. Next, I have one tests with locals and I have noticed that more nimble and comboing small characters such as mainly Kirby, and Pikachu have large advantages because King Dedede is a big target for Kirby and Pikachu's tilts and lagless moves. And one last one, Lucas. His PK Fire has much more speed than King Dedede's very laggy Waddle Dee toss. And same to Kirby and Pikachu, Lucas' small attacks keep King Dedede off guard and hard for him to recover from the character. So the recommended characters against King Dedede are those four characters. Every character has a weakness, and just because a character has a strong point, such as a chain grab, the character shouldn't be taken so seriously.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
No disrespect taken or intended. ICs are good characters, they have good moves and bad moves in the same way everyone has good moves and bad moves. However, to ban their infinites would be to take all of their metagame (not to be confused with potential) and significantly affects all of their matchups. The DeDeDe ban is more limited in scope, and does not significantly change the matchups or overly favor the characters that it benefits.
As I said, I still think they're quite viable without their infinites. An alarming amount of IC players rely on them just because once they get a grab it's basically a kill. They are very viable characters without them. Reminds me of the people that choose MK because he can win by spamming a few moves. =/

The general gist I'm getting is that the D-throw infinite is generally disliked, but many people think that you should just pick another character or not get grabbed, and that the walking regrabs are A-Ok tournament legit. I'd love to hear more input from everyone on the subject.
I think that if you removed all the infinites, you'd get more people wanting to come to your tourneys than not considering it because you chose to ban them.

Pardon me for skipping the second paragraph, but I basically have the same response as the last paragraph. If you want to have more credible, fun tourneys, the infinites have to go. Even Dedede's.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
1. Don't get grabbed
2. Ice Climbers chain grab is probably the only hard thing to pull off in Brawl. People who complain about people wave dashing. They complain because they can't do it.
3. I REALLY hope you're kidding.
I wasn't asking for a tutorial on how to get around IC's grabs. (Not that it would even work)

I reread this, and found it pretty funny. I dare you to post that exact quote in the Ice Climbers forum. They're just as viable without their zero to death grabs as Dedede is without his standing infinites. You're interested in keeping your tourney scene fun, and I don't know anyone that finds getting 0 to death'd fun.
I'd also love to hear IC's opinion on what TechnoMonster said. Why don't we take this to the IC forums? I would even post it myself just to hear their opinion.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Hey guys, I have been talking with people and I have come to the conclusion that this is a dumb rule. I was originally for it but... Until the ICs chain grab is banned, there's no reason D3's should be banned.

D3 has HARD counters all over the cast and in the top tiers even. Pikachu, Falco, Olimar, Metaknight, Mr. Game and Watch, and Zelda/Sheik all give King Dedede a run for his money and are not chaingrabbable. IC's "hard counters" are who... G+W, MK, and ROB? I live in the same state with 2 of the highest placing IC players on record and only a couple hours from the MK/ICs player from Canada and another ICs player who makes it out to Midwest circuit events who has placed in the top 3 at an event before. I know this match up backwards, forwards and sideways. ICs are "countered" by ROB, G+W, and MK but in practice I think the ICs are at worst at a SLIGHT disadvantage in ANY match up because of their chaingrab. If they don't ban their chaingrabs, there's no reason why we should ban ours. At least there are VERY feasible counters. There's 12 characters we can't chain grab and two with invincible up Bs (MK on frame 5 and G+W for the start up) where we can't even down throw tech chase them. It's as simple as counterpicking here. This makes Dedede dittos ANNOYING but it's something we're going to have to live with.

Why should we give an advantage to these characters affected by the walking/standing chaingrabs? What did they do to warrant a perfectly legitimate strategy against them be nullified? I think we should consider than without his chain grab, DDD is an "okay" character and ICs are GARBAGE. As the game progresses, I'm sure we'll find out more and more about lower tiers and other character in general which allow them to do something similar. Until then, learn the match up or counter pick.

cowsareforeating

Smash Rookie
i'm all for banning standing infinites, but the scope of walking infinites is too small to warrant a ban...

the problem here i think is that DDD's standing infinite is too EASY to perform as opposed to IC's 0-death which actually takes some practice to get.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I wouldn't call it easy. On DK, sure, it's easier than most things in this game. On Mario, Samus, Luigi and all of the ledge infinites, you have to have it spaced perfectly and the timing is much stricter.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
Ban it, Dedede doesn't need it. Same thing I've always been saying. All the matchups where Dedede can infinite (except the mirror) are already in Dedede's favor. There's absolutely no need for it.

Raid

Smash Cadet
I can understand the standing infinite being banned, but as for the running grab? DDD's dthrow grab is only performable on about half of the characters, and some like pikachu and metaknight he can't even chain against a wall. DDD's regular grabs and chain grab are an essential part of his play.

My final verdict, I'm all for banning the standing infinite, other than that leave the poor penguin be.

Vayseth

Smash Master
What about the walking chaingrabs? I have seen rules where a dash is REQUIRED between each grab of the chain grab. Is that how it would be written? Or, are we just banning standing infinites? If so, Marth's grab release infinites on Ness/Lucas and other stuff like that should be gone as well.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you can just eliminate the infinite or chain grab. If so you can't just ban dedede's, you'd also have to ban the ICs and falcos. it should be limited though. I vote for 7 if not on a wall and 12 if it is on a wall(If you're dumb enough to get chaingrabbed on a wall you deserve to die). These aren't exact numbers but they are what I think it should be. If it comes to a yes or no I say No don't eliminate CGs.

Backpaw

Smash Rookie
standing infinite should be banned all of the characters that can be infinited can be chain grabbed (including Luigi,it's hard but not impossible) so there's no need for it, the walking infinite on bowser should also be banned as well since it lasts a ridiculously long time
walking cgs on other charactes should be legal cause it only gives them like what 12% more damage(across FD) than a regular dash cg

Jupz

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't want either to be banned but I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if the standing infinite was bad, just leave the walking infinite.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
What walking Infinite? If you have to walk then its no infinite lol you'll end up without a place to Infinite when you get to the edge.

Top Bottom