• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumors Run Rampant! History of SSBB's rumors

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Sakurai could have just added that tamagon guy in as a result of the delay for a filler character, therefore he might not have even known he was gonna put tamagon in, or he didn't want to spoil tamagons pissible inclusion by giving the devil a symbol. Nowon ever thinks of these things they always take up irrelevent info that they think dismisses a big possible leak thinking that they are 100% correct.
Do you really think that Sakurai wouldn't know what characters he was putting in before he even started? Do you think he would just be like "Oh, he sounds cool, put him in." this close to release?

Boofer

Smash Ace
After considering Knuckles as a playable, I'm actually upset that he only has like a 2% chance of actually being one.

I expected to see at least one more "leak" after going to bed. I want MORE.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
After considering Knuckles as a playable, I'm actually upset that he only has like a 2% chance of actually being one.

I expected to see at least one more "leak" after going to bed. I want MORE.
As I said in another topic on this board, I would not be surprised if there were some more phoneys showing up as we get closer and closer to Brawl's Japanese release. The absolute earliest I see the Brawl roster getting leaked is the third week in January. However, the fourth week in January is when we will definitely be seeing a roster leak.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
As I said in another topic on this board, I would not be surprised if there were some more phoneys showing up as we get closer and closer to Brawl's Japanese release. The absolute earliest I see the Brawl roster getting leaked is the third week in January. However, the fourth week in January is when we will definitely be seeing a roster leak.
I agree there, there will be a chance of some fake rosters appearing :urg:
But then again we can :laugh: when we realize it is fake... :grin:

Boofer

Smash Ace
What makes you so sure it won't be leaked as early is the Melee roster?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What makes you so sure it won't be leaked as early is the Melee roster?
I think this way because Sakurai has everything under lock-and-key this time. We are less than three weeks away from the game being released and we still have not been shown the real character selection screen. We also still have not been shown Sheik and Captain Falcon. Also, keep in mind that he has not shown the second stage for Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, and Star Fox all of which had a second starting stage in Melee. I think that he will be making updates long after the game comes out. :ohwell:

Black/Light

Smash Master
I think this way because Sakurai has everything under lock-and-key this time. We are less than three weeks away from the game being released and we still have not been shown the real character selection screen. We also still have not been shown Sheik and Captain Falcon. Also, keep in mind that he has not shown the second stage for Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, and Star Fox all of which had a second starting stage in Melee. I think that he will be making updates long after the game comes out. :ohwell:
I wouldn't say that just because Sakurai is keeping info under lock and key means that the real roster leak is bond to, at it's earlest, be leaked 3 weeks into Jan. There are many different ways a leak can come about.
Example: Nintendo kept TP under lock and key too (cause of it's story). . . But some reviewer who got drunk decided to post spoilers and pics of it on his blog and on some forum 2 weeks before release. He got up to either the first scene of Ganon with the sages or that twisted Link vision before Nintendo forced the web master of the blog and the forum people to close his accounts. Spinner/ Ball&Chain/ Zora Suit/ Ganon and more where all spoiled.

Than theres SMG. . . someone stole a early copy from their store and released a bit-torrent of it on the internet for others to down load 2 weeks before release. THAN theres that guy who stole a copy and said he was going to flip it and show it on Youtubes. He got some spoiler vids out before Nintendo told YouTubes to stop his account.

Than theres the fact that we may already have people who actually know leaked info. CZ with the dragoon items and the whole "Falco/Wolf/Sheik/Ness/ Lucario in/ Mew2 out" thing is looking more and more likely seeing Serebii slip up on the Lucario thing (Meaning 2 of these things he said 2 months ago are pretty much confirmed now. One on the site, one by serebii's slip).

Reviewers, stolen copies, Inside leaks. . . wouldn't be shocked to find somemore real leaked info (Chars and such) next week.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say that just because Sakurai is keeping info under lock and key means that the real roster leak is bond to, at it's earlest, be leaked 3 weeks into Jan. There are many different ways a leak can come about.
Example: Nintendo kept TP under lock and key too (cause of it's story). . . But some reviewer who got drunk decided to post spoilers and pics of it on his blog and on some forum 2 weeks before release. He got up to either the first scene of Ganon with the sages or that twisted Link vision before Nintendo forced the web master of the blog and the forum people to close his accounts. Spinner/ Ball&Chain/ Zora Suit/ Ganon and more where all spoiled.

Than theres SMG. . . someone stole a early copy from their store and released a bit-torrent of it on the internet for others to down load 2 weeks before release. THAN theres that guy who stole a copy and said he was going to flip it and show it on Youtubes. He got some spoiler vids out before Nintendo told YouTubes to stop his account.

Than theres the fact that we may already have people who actually know leaked info. CZ with the dragoon items and the whole "Falco/Wolf/Sheik/Ness/ Lucario in/ Mew2 out" thing is looking more and more likely seeing Serebii slip up on the Lucario thing (Meaning 2 of these things he said 2 months ago are pretty much confirmed now. One on the site, one by serebii's slip).

Reviewers, stolen copies, Inside leaks. . . wouldn't be shocked to find somemore real leaked info (Chars and such) next week.
Couldn't have said it better myself.:)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Ah, but both these instances had something going for them. Both were released in North America prior to the Japanese-release. Brawl likely won't be seeing in-store demos until the last week in January in North America. This time it will be Japan that will be getting the first physical copies of Brawl, and I think they are a bit more trustworthy with keeping secrets than their Western counterparts, as well as only a few magazines being able to have the game a week before its actual release. I would be sincerely surprised if the roster does end up being leaked next week. As I said, the third week in January is the earliest I see the roster being leaked because that is the earliest that the game will be in reviewer hands.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
knowing the type of rosters sakurai picks (jigglypuff in the first game, ice climbers pichu game and watch and roy in melee) if the roster gets leaked it's bound to be "different" then peopel expect and without pics people will think it's fake imediately.

so it might take a while after we get a real leak befor we know it's even real.

Genodisk

Smash Apprentice
Do you really think that Sakurai wouldn't know what characters he was putting in before he even started? Do you think he would just be like "Oh, he sounds cool, put him in." this close to release?
Well apparently from wat was said in other forums thats what he did with dr mario and them, he had extra time so he added them in. The delay was a few month so that gave plenty of time for him to do what he needed to do and add extra characters just like last time. And also I like how nowon addressed the fact that he could have not made the symble because he would have spoiled it.

cswright

Smash Apprentice
Ah, but both these instances had something going for them. Both were released in North America prior to the Japanese-release. Brawl likely won't be seeing in-store demos until the last week in January in North America. This time it will be Japan that will be getting the first physical copies of Brawl, and I think they are a bit more trustworthy with keeping secrets than their Western counterparts, as well as only a few magazines being able to have the game a week before its actual release. I would be sincerely surprised if the roster does end up being leaked next week. As I said, the third week in January is the earliest I see the roster being leaked because that is the earliest that the game will be in reviewer hands.
Wait, so the situation is different because Japan gets it first? A leak cannot happen early because flag-wavin', gun-totin' American reviewers don't have it? No. This has no bearing on anything. The Japanese are just as capable of leaking information, and it'll be on here, in English within hours, probably minutes of that happening.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wait, so the situation is different because Japan gets it first? A leak cannot happen early because flag-wavin', gun-totin' American reviewers don't have it? No. This has no bearing on anything. The Japanese are just as capable of leaking information, and it'll be on here, in English within hours, probably minutes of that happening.
No, you misunderstood me. There are fewer reviewers getting an advanced copy in Japan, which thus lowers the chances for a leak. Also, there are massive repreucussions for leaking a game prior to release in Japan. Heck, Square-Enix told all the major retailers in Japan that they would file a lawsuit against any store that released Final Fantasy XII early.

cswright

Smash Apprentice
No, you misunderstood me. There are fewer reviewers getting an advanced copy in Japan, which thus lowers the chances for a leak. Also, there are massive repreucussions for leaking a game prior to release in Japan. Heck, Square-Enix told all the major retailers in Japan that they would file a lawsuit against any store that released Final Fantasy XII early.
True. I agree that it's not going to be this week, but I think we'll have some sort of substantial leak of Brawl before it's released anywhere. The hype on this game is unheard of and the talk of leaks and such has picked up quite a bit in the last few days and there's only going to be more with each passing day.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Why are leaks such a big deal to Nintendo, doesn't necessarily give away the game or take away from it?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
^They feel as though if people know what's in the game, they won't buy it.
They are using the advertising technique of *Less is more*

It's working like Hell with Cloverfield, but I think Brawl is doing it wrong if that's what they are doing...

Black/Light

Smash Master
Actually, no, SMG came out in Japan on Nov 1 and than to NA on Nov 12th. Meaning, yes, these things where happening in mid Oct (Oct 12th-14th-17 if I remember correctly. . .in fact, I think that bit-torrent was in Japanese along with the youtube guy).

Im just saying that if that can happen to SMG than it could happen again. Not only do we have that chance but also the "leakers" who know things we don't (Like CZ who, again, said all this 2 months ago and seems to have 2 of his/her's predictions confirmed). Any number of things can happen so I think next week will be interesting none the less.
:p

Tachita

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been pointed out already but have you noted that all if not the most of this rumors and leaks came from gameFAQs.
I mean I know its the lowest of the boards on Internet but if somebody had REAL inside information of Brawl why would they post it there if nobody would believe it.
For example I have been reading these forums for a while and all the leaks that are posted come from another board.
Don't you think if you were a tester and wanted to reveal something you would reveal it on the forums of the smash community instead on a board full of trolls and liars?

Agosta44

Smash Ace
I have great news guys! Bowser is in this game! And so is Mario!

But anyway, hopefully we won't get another crazed roster like Melee.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
As long as something out-there that nin10dough confirmed is confirmed on the DOJO next week, then I am a happy camper.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Dude, its totally fake. He said there we 44 characters, and he had 45 listed. Then, when questioned, he said Bowser jr was cut last minute.

cswright

Smash Apprentice
Dude, its totally fake. He said there we 44 characters, and he had 45 listed. Then, when questioned, he said Bowser jr was cut last minute.
Another reason I thought it was fake was the online ranking business. Very cool idea, but why would Sakurai have a ranking setup but not let you see the names of those you are playing? It only makes sense to let you see the potential top ranked players going against you, esp. if the point was to protect us from weird and crude names, we would see them anyway in the ranking list. It just doesn't add up.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, here's another one... oh boy.

Vatro Xu said:
Alright, I've bided my time long enough. This board and others has been an occasional source of amusement recently and to some extent, I've enjoyed observing the fake rosters in order to feel smug about myself. However, this Nin10dough incident is the final straw for me. It's painful to sit by and see so many people swallowed in by his crap (among others) so I figure I'll give the facts now in order to both free people of all these false "prophets" (could you guys have picked a stupider word to describe them?) and be the first to give valid unconfirmed information on Super Smash Bros. Brawl (a more or less pointless title, but one to feed my ego).

About my position and knowledge, I am not a Nintendo employee. I am just a guy who is lucky enough to know the right person. I have not played the game myself, but I have been shown official screen shots of tons of important things previously unknown, therefore I trust my source about the others matters including of which can't be proved with screen shots (such as which characters were removed).

You may not believe me now, but chances are you'll believe me some time before the game comes out.

Also, yes, I'm a provisional account. I created this solely for the purpose of giving info. Don't try to play the "n00b" crap or whatever.

Starting Characters:

The rest of the starting line up consists of Captain Falcon and Krystal. This in fact does mean Shiek and Ness are removed as playable. They aren't secret as I made a point to ask about it. By the way, I am well aware that Aunuma said that he submitted designs for Shiek in Brawl so don't try to act like you've caught me in a lie because of this. Even though he did, Shiek still didn't make it for whatever reasons. Ness should come as no surprise. I don't know the specific updates Sakurai has planned out for every day, but I should dang well think Captain Falcon and Krystal will be announced soon since the release date is so close.

Secret characters:

A few things first, just to put us on the same page: I'm fairly sure Snake and Sonic are unlockables so I won't include them. Secondly, there are clones. The proportion of clones to characters with original move sets doesn't seem to be as high as it was in Melee, but there's still a good portion of them. Where people ever got the idea Sakurai is cutting them I'll never know (and even if he did say he was, which he didn't, he lied). Also, I have not seen these characters in action so I do not know all of their move sets and such. I can make some judgements and speculation from the screen shots however.

Here are the unlockables that I know of (which should be the majority):

Veterans:
Marth, Ganondorf, and Luigi. Now, I have not heard anything about the others, so don't get all pissed off that I didn't include Jigglypuff or Mr. Game and Watch. I just don't know about the others at this point and I didn't ask.

Newcomers (original move sets):
Andy, Ridley, Ray (I don't know if he has a number attached to his name, but he looks pretty similar to the DS incarnation), Mona, Lucario, Captain Olimar, and Lip (the Lip's Stick item means nothing so don't even say it),

Newcomers (clones):
Will (Andy Clone), Black Shadow (Captain Falcon clone), Wolf (Fox clone), Vaati (Zelda clone), Eliwood (Marth clone)

Remember, THESE ARE ONLY ONES I KNOW. Just because I didn't include Geno or Isaac or whoever does not mean they are definitely not in.

Stages:
Again, these are only ones I remember being told about or have seen myself. It's likely there will be more.

New stages:
Venom - Almost nothing like it was in Melee. It takes place on the new Great Fox and had lots of green water in the background
Krazoa Palace - a very accurately done version of the top area where Krystal was trapped
SR388 - This is a planet from the Metroid series but I haven't seen it myself
Popples - From Panel de Pon. The main platform is a long rainbow
Diamond City - In the spirit of Onett, it takes place by Mona Pizza and has a lot of recognizable buildings in the background. Supposedly, Pizza Dinosaur and Dribble and Spitz's cab drive by as a hazard
Mirror world (probably not the actual title) - Simply the hub from Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Koholint Island - Rather generic looking, but it had the famous egg in the background
A Nintendo Wars stage - From what I hear, it's like the Castle Seige stage in that it isn't meant to represent a specific game, but rather the whole series. Sorry I can't give more details than that.

Old stages:
Planet Zebes
Sector Z
Peach's Castle
Jungle Japes

Sadly, I couldn't get any info on music but whatever. Furthermore, I don't care at all about online or Subspace Emmisiary so I didn't bother to try to gain info relating to those. Call me shallow, but characters and stages (and to a lesser extent music) are what makes this game for me.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40577799

Whether it is true or not remains to be seen... the lot of the info doesn't sound that believable to me, that and it contradicts Chaos Zero's information (Ness coming back, Falco coming back, and Sheik coming back). Either one is wrong and the other is right (with CZ still being right) or they're both wrong.

Did I say I absolutely love this stuff? /sarcasm

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
They deleted the topic... Gamefaqs is such a cesspool.(and a source of massive lulz).

sonicdp

Smash Rookie
I figured this out a while ago, but no one listens : \

Eh. Now we have to figure out what actually contradicted Serebiis info. Lucarios MS?Ridley being in? New characters?

That or wait till release

or at least till japans realese.then we will know all.unless the updates at the site r finished before then.what do you guys think?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
or at least till japans realese.then we will know all.unless the updates at the site r finished before then.what do you guys think?
I don't think Sakurai will be finished showing all the starting information in the game before Brawl's Japanese release, so we will pretty much be getting all the game's content when someone leaks it most likely during the fourth week in January.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
1) I think I'll get around and make a fake "leak" myself and have some fun.

2) *sits and waits for Serebii's debunk hammer* thats if he's still around : \

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well, here's another one... oh boy.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40577799

Whether it is true or not remains to be seen... the lot of the info doesn't sound that believable to me, that and it contradicts Chaos Zero's information (Ness coming back, Falco coming back, and Sheik coming back). Either one is wrong and the other is right (with CZ still being right) or they're both wrong.

Did I say I absolutely love this stuff? /sarcasm
Humm, Thanks for the leak!

More reasonable than Nin10do and he give enuff info for use to see if he will be debunked soon by the site and/or serebii. Im emailing this info to myself. . .see if something happens in next weeks updates.

(I trust CZ more that this person soo this will be interesting.:p)

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Humm, Thanks for the leak!

More reasonable than Nin10do and he give enuff info for use to see if he will be debunked soon by the site and/or serebii. Im emailing this info to myself. . .see if something happens in next weeks updates.

(I trust CZ more that this person soo this will be interesting.:p)
Either way Wolf is in the game :p

Top Bottom