• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

•Col•

Smash Champion
"This move can be aimed by quickly pushing the control stick in a direction after the initial up special, making Roy move anywhere from directly upward to a 45 degree diagonal on either side, at the expense of some vertical distance." - Smashwiki page for Blazer

Apparently you could always do that.
What the hell, how does no one know about this. Did NO ONE play Roy in Melee?

Especially considering it's so damned important for his recovery.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Im very excited to play as roy, but i have a question, will his model include his sword sheath in-game? or only in the results screen? it may not be so important, because the news here are that we are going to play as him finally again (hype), but personally i would like to see him with his sheath, just curious though.
Like this:

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
What the hell, how does no one know about this. Did NO ONE play Roy in Melee?

Especially considering it's so damned important for his recovery.
I only played Melee once, at a friend's house. We normally play Project M on Dolphin, but we played Melee that day instead.

It was pretty awful, probably because I had to use a gamecube controller. I'm convinced that people only like that thing because of nostalgia and muscle memory.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I only played Melee once, at a friend's house. We normally play Project M on Dolphin, but we played Melee that day instead.

It was pretty awful, probably because I had to use a gamecube controller. I'm convinced that people only like that thing because of nostalgia and muscle memory.
It's a pretty decent controller in terms of comfort and design, imo it's probably the third best controller ever made, second is the SNES controller, and first is the PS2 controller, honestly I don't know how anyone could play Smash with anything else, I tried using a PS3 controller on Dolphin and it was horrible, I even prefer the Gamecube controller for Smash 64.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
If anyone is still curious about what Roy's final smash might be like, that person might be interested in these:

link

in-depth

These are part of a hack made by Thany. I'm pretty sure some of the animations we've seen already in P:M Roy are in this hack, as well.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Sorry. Right under the Dreamcast controller, the GC Controller is super awesome and comfortable.

The only ****ty thing about the GC is its D-pad because it was designed as an afterthought lol.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Eh, to each their own. I just can't figure out how to hold the thing properly. Between the analog triggers, Melee's non-configurable controls, and the general ergonomics of the thing, I was just lost.

I can't see how it specifically good for Smash, though, beside the games being designed for it (which is pretty compelling, I guess.) What, if anything, makes it better than any other controller could be? I know it has analog triggers which have their uses, but I don't like them at all.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Analog triggers are might be necessary for Melee, but not Project M. Once the PMBR figures out light shielding I might change my tune, but for now, I don't really care about the extremely slight benefit they convey.

As for the control stick, I don't see how it's any different than a normal analog stick. It does have that octagonal shape that helps guide your thumb, but after a good amount of time with square analog sticks, I don't really feel like I'm hindered for lack of an octagon. Yes, you read that right, the analog sticks on my controller are square instead of circular or octagonal. I though it was stupid at first, but I've gotten used to it.

I'm not trying to bash the GC controller, if I'm being honest and serious I'm sure it's great if you're used to it, but I just don't like it. I'd rather use a classic controller if I were to play on an actual Wii, even if that would exclude me from ever playing in a serious tournament, which I don't have too much interest in doing anyway.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
At least we're actually talking about Smash, and not Skyward Sword.

But okay uhhh

Roy should be 100% calm and collected after eating Super Spicy Curry, since he already has t3h ph1r3. How feasible is that to code? It would be cool. I mean hot. You know what I mean.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
By that logic, Charizard would scoff at Super Spicy Curry.

I'm curious as to just how accurate DAir spiking will be now. I'm looking forward to utilizing it.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
At least we're actually talking about Smash, and not Skyward Sword.

But okay uhhh

Roy should be 100% calm and collected after eating Super Spicy Curry, since he already has t3h ph1r3. How feasible is that to code? It would be cool. I mean hot. You know what I mean.
But lots of other characters have fire powers too, Mario, Luigi, Fox, Falco, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Ness, Bowser, and Charizard, so wouldn't that need to apply to them too? Especially Bowser and Charizard because they're the only ones who actually breathe fire.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Im very excited to play as roy, but i have a question, will his model include his sword sheath in-game? or only in the results screen? it may not be so important, because the news here are that we are going to play as him finally again (hype), but personally i would like to see him with his sheath, just curious though.
Having the sheathe on him in game always had clipping issues afaik, so it won't be a feature.

When will we actually be able to play as him. Does Anyone know?
If you happen to be going to The Big House 3, there will be dev supplied Roy stations there where you can test him out before release. As far as a full public release, that has yet to be announced.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Having the sheathe on him in game always had clipping issues afaik, so it won't be a feature.

If you happen to be going to The Big House 3, there will be dev supplied Roy stations there where you can test him out before release. As far as a full public release, that has yet to be announced.
WOAH IT'S SETHLON WHAT DO I DO HE LIVES WHERE I DO anyways, Big House 3 was something I wanted to go to but nope I'm on the other side of the continental US.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Analog triggers are might be necessary for Melee, but not Project M. Once the PMBR figures out light shielding I might change my tune, but for now, I don't really care about the extremely slight benefit they convey.

As for the control stick, I don't see how it's any different than a normal analog stick. It does have that octagonal shape that helps guide your thumb, but after a good amount of time with square analog sticks, I don't really feel like I'm hindered for lack of an octagon. Yes, you read that right, the analog sticks on my controller are square instead of circular or octagonal. I though it was stupid at first, but I've gotten used to it.

I'm not trying to bash the GC controller, if I'm being honest and serious I'm sure it's great if you're used to it, but I just don't like it. I'd rather use a classic controller if I were to play on an actual Wii, even if that would exclude me from ever playing in a serious tournament, which I don't have too much interest in doing anyway.

Must be cool not being able to curve firefoxes and aiming Farore winds. Also, confirmed casual.

Anyway, rewatching that Project M Turbo video, by the looks of it, Roy might have also gotten a new jab or ftilt. You can see it at 0:30 and :45.. It looks like his normal attack with a rapier from his gba game. ( http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Roy?file=Roy_lord_sword_normalattack.gif )

B.W.

Smash Champion
Not sure what makes you think he can't curve firefox and similar stuff. The controller will still read an input up, down, left, or right. Or if the square is rotated to be a diamond, it can still read up+left, down+left, up+right and down+right. You might need to re-learn how controllers work.

That said, Kally Wally, what controller do you even use to play this game?

And since this is a Roy thread, who's higher on the Fire Tier List now? Roy or Charizard?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I've always loved the idea of Roy, as a character. He's like Marth, but mechanically almost opposite. He doesn't have very high knockback, he falls faster, his moves tend to pop his opponents up instead of away. All things that lend themselves to him being more combo oriented. I always wanted to play as him, and I kind of did for awhile, but I never dedicated myself to him very much. His flaws frustrated me more than they did with most of the melee cast. Functionally, he's just always been so inferior to Marth. Like, Marth is a pretty amazing character, it's hard to compete with that. If you like swinging swords, and you want to do well, you should probably go with Marth.

In Brawl, Ike kind of went in the other direction. He hits like a truck, knocking his opponents absurdly far away in most cases, and doesn't really do much comboing outside of his jab. Still way, way inferior to Marth. PM fixed a lot of that up quite nicely tho, and I'd say he's very much on par with Marth. Some may even say, better. This leaves me curious. How good will Roy be? Will he be more fun to play, once he stops sucking as bad as he did in Melee? I'd very much like to try him.

Ike may have that blue flame (which is pretty badass, in it's own right), but Roy will always be our boy, with teh fire!!1!!one!1!!

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Not sure what makes you think he can't curve firefox and similar stuff. The controller will still read an input up, down, left, or right. Or if the square is rotated to be a diamond, it can still read up+left, down+left, up+right and down+right. You might need to re-learn how controllers work.

That said, Kally Wally, what controller do you even use to play this game?

And since this is a Roy thread, who's higher on the Fire Tier List now? Roy or Charizard?
I use one of these. My friend and I play on Dolphin, since it's the most convenient way for us, and that's the only USB controller I own. He uses a Razer controller.

The analog sticks are, in fact... Well, analog, so I can aim things just fine. Recoveries, tilts, everything works as normal.

As for the Fire Tier List, I'm just going to leave this here and let you draw your own conclusions.

Must be cool not being able to curve firefoxes and aiming Farore winds. Also, confirmed casual.
I really hope you're not trying to imply that this is a bad thing.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Putting it out there, the Gamecube controller is the single greatest controller ever made, and that,s even when you acknowledge issues such as the awkward D-pad and Z button.

Then again, I don't hold controllers like most do, so my opinion will always be counter-intuitive.

And I'm buying new streaming cables to celebrate Roy's return. I just need a good PC now.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I'm really hoping we get some good matches with Roy recorded from The Big House 3.

I'm just curious, but how would the PM Dev team rank Roy as far as tiers go? He seems to be quite a bit better then Melee, but I'll hold my judgement until I actually use him.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Seeing as how the PMBR doesn't have an official opinion on the tier list ranking of any of the characters that are already out, I doubt they'd have an opinion on a character that isn't released yet.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
QWA is now our official tier lister creator/updater. And I like your choice in mains, QWA. You have taste. Except for your 64 main.

Smash 64 doesn't have a Fire Emblem character, so I don't play it as much.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
QWA is now our official tier lister creator/updater. And I like your choice in mains, QWA. You have taste. Except for your 64 main.
Mario's a hell of a lot better than Ness in 64, just saying.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Ness master race
Just running around and throwing people is the way to do it. Ah whatever I don't play it much either because No Roy/IIke

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Seeing as how the PMBR doesn't have an official opinion on the tier list ranking of any of the characters that are already out, I doubt they'd have an opinion on a character that isn't released yet.
We have opinions about them, but we're also letting the community do some of the research for us. Really, the best gauge of how good a character is is how good he performs at high level tourneys. The demoes are a good way to gets plenty of playtesters: You guys. We keep a lot of things under wraps because well... in-progress work tends to look janky and ugly, and people sometimes jump to conclusions when they see those unfinished builds, but when a build is presentable, we want to know your thoughts.

I'm also of the opinion that it's far too early to have an official tier list. Most of the characters are not being used to their full potential. Lucas is an example of a character that I feel is much better than the community gives him credit for because of his high tech-skill requirement.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think the high skill floor on Lucas is the reason he's relatively unexplored. He has so many buttons.

Truth be told, Roy probably won't be much higher than mid-tier, even with all of his buffs. As a player, I don't have much issue with this, as long as he's tons of fun.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Any word on if there have been any startup speed/endlag adjustments to his Fsmash? A small boost in quickness would be very nice for that move.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I'm also of the opinion that it's far too early to have an official tier list. Most of the characters are not being used to their full potential. Lucas is an example of a character that I feel is much better than the community gives him credit for because of his high tech-skill requirement.

About time someone said this!

Top Bottom