• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Roy looks amazing. My main questions are about sound. How will Roy's name be called? For his move sound effects, is he getting Brawl Marth's? Is he bringing his own over from Melee? If that's the case, will Marth (and potentially more characters) get their Melee SFX ported as well?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
OH. MY. GOD.

You guys actually found a way! Roy's back where he belongs! Ahhhhh!!!

That's one dream come true. Now to hope for the other. I'm waiting patiently for you, Mewtwo!

Great work PMBR! :shades:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Roy looks amazing. My main questions are about sound. How will Roy's name be called? For his move sound effects, is he getting Brawl Marth's? Is he bringing his own over from Melee? If that's the case, will Marth (and potentially more characters) get their Melee SFX ported as well?

You can hear Roy's sound effects in the video. Also, read the fine print at the end of the video :p.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I've never been a huge Roy fan, but I've always liked him nonetheless. PM keeps blowing my expectations away and trample them so good because they exceed mine. I'm actually very happy to play as Roy in this, so it should be an awesome experience.

SvenFletcher

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2165-7173-1188
Roy was my main in Melee, but I understood he had his faults. I just sincerely hope his Counter is returned to its former glory.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
OMG this hype! Can't wait to play as him, and it makes me wonder will mewtwo return? Or, better yet Pichu!?!?!?!?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

Anyone else think it looks like this would be the art for him if he were to ever be in Smash 4? He looks really colorful.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
All aboard the Roy hype train. He'll be joining my crew of dragon characters (if you consider Roy part dragon depending on who his dad marries lol) alongside Charizard.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
All aboard the Roy hype train. He'll be joining my crew of dragon characters (if you consider Roy part dragon depending on who his dad marries lol) alongside Charizard.
Not to mention the inevitable Ridley BECAUSE WE HAVE A FLIPPING CLONE ENGINE!

nessokman

Smash Lord
Just more proof project m is just to make melee 2.0.to be honest brawl was fine... Roy actually looks decent. I almost wish I hadn't axed my brawl. (Actually chopped it with an axe) I might hàce used him :(

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
I wouldn't go so far as to say inevitable. There are only a few custom PSAs for Project M, only one of them (Nguz's Mewtwo) is a new character, and it's not even completed. The rest are also uncompleted changes to existing characters. A clone engine isn't going to magically make it easier to create new characters - hell, we don't know how it works, so it might have even more limitations on what you can do (articles, etc.) than traditional character-replacing PSAs.

It might make people more interested in unofficial characters, though, which in turn might result in more being made. Time will tell.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Not to mention the inevitable Ridley BECAUSE WE HAVE A FLIPPING CLONE ENGINE!

I get the feeling that the Project: M team won't delve into all new characters, so that despite this being a fan-made mod of Brawl it doesn't dig into the integrity of Smash for the Wii U/3DS.

I'd be perfectly happy with Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu (only because we were teased it in the April Fools video) being the only Melee veterans to return. I understand that this will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but Dr. Mario has been surpassed by the now viable Mario and unless they make some drastic changes to him, he'll just be a re-skinned Mario. All he'll have left that Mario didn't take is his pills. Young Link was spiritually replaced by Toon Link, and unless they decide to make Young Link utilize a different moveset that utilizes his Masks (Majora's Mask style Y.Link), he'll have clone written all over him. I know the same thing can be said about Roy but the problem I find is that when the team re-created Toon Link and Mario especially, they did so while taking some of their previous versions' strengths, taking away what was special about Doc and Y.Link in Melee.

Of course this is all my opinion and if we got EVERYONE back and they were all unique? All the more power to the development team, but that's just my take.

I'd rather have no brand new characters though. I'm excited for the new Smash, after all.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Try to keep discussion on Roy and what's currently in Project M, folks. This is his forum, after all! Speculation can go in the announcement thread.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I guess inevitable was an exaggeration. But if non PMBR people do start making characters, I expect Ridley to be one of the first, especially if he's deconfirmed for Smash 4.
Edit to be on topic: Now I have to put in Melee and get awesome with Roy.

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
Well WHEN IS FREAKING MEWTWO!?
honestly mewtwo seems like he would be very hard to get 100% right, with all is odd floaty stuff, hate to say it but it may not be possible. That being said glad to see roy is getting some respect roy players in melee always got all my respect, even when haters bagged on roy they stuck with him, it's funny to see those same haters getting all gitty about this update, well done PM devs!

Frogman751

Smash Cadet
honestly mewtwo seems like he would be very hard to get 100% right, with all is odd floaty stuff, hate to say it but it may not be possible.
What the hell does this even mean? The PM Dev team has rebalanced oh i dont know about... 35 OTHER CHARACTERS! Now that we have a clone engine the PM dev team is basically obligated to add mewtwo, and im possitive that the PM dev team can balance him correctly, they are really good at making characters that are viable, not too strong, not too weak. (The only exceptions being 2.3 ike and lucario, and 2.5 sonic all three of which are characters that were definitely several notches above the rest of the cast at the time)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
What the hell does this even mean? The PM Dev team has rebalanced oh i dont know about... 35 OTHER CHARACTERS! Now that we have a clone engine the PM dev team is basically obligated to add mewtwo, and im possitive that the PM dev team can balance him correctly, they are really good at making characters that are viable, not too strong, not too weak. (The only exceptions being 2.3 ike and lucario, and 2.5 sonic all three of which are characters that were definitely several notches above the rest of the cast at the time)

Shhh. It's Roy time.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I'm expecting the PM Dev Team to use this clip for Roy's name when called by the announcer (only upping the tempo a little, he does say the names a little slowly):

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
This.

So basically, Roy is supposed to be a mix between Marth's speed and Ike's strength, What elements of both do you think they combined to create this happy medium we know s PM Roy?

Roy doesn't look that slow based upon the trailer though, amusingly enough. He definitely falls like CRAZY like he did in Melee though, so I suspect that he's gonna be much more fast paced than Marth was. Ike's strength most like comes from the fact that many of Roy's attacks got a buff in knockback, like Neutral B and more kill options. Ike's mobility is the best out of the Fire Emblem cast thanks to his quickdraw special, not to mention his recovery.

The main difference I've seen from the trailer is that Roy still seems to be the same as before, only this time his one real weakness in not having a good aerial game is now gone. Marth's kills are emphasized on spacing and tippers, whereas Roy excels at a more proper in-your-face style, seeing as his combos are of a quicker pace then Marth's are.

So TL;DR

Project: M Roy = Melee Roy + buffed attacks + combo-able aerial strings

--

Unless one of the developers wants to give us a lowdown about the Ike similarities.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
honestly mewtwo seems like he would be very hard to get 100% right, with all is odd floaty stuff, hate to say it but it may not be possible. That being said glad to see roy is getting some respect roy players in melee always got all my respect, even when haters bagged on roy they stuck with him, it's funny to see those same haters getting all gitty about this update, well done PM devs!
It's not too hard. I'm working on an unofficial one now. While I've certainly had problems, I wouldn't say he's impossible.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
Roy doesn't look that slow based upon the trailer though, amusingly enough. He definitely falls like CRAZY like he did in Melee though, so I suspect that he's gonna be much more fast paced than Marth was. Ike's strength most like comes from the fact that many of Roy's attacks got a buff in knockback, like Neutral B and more kill options. Ike's mobility is the best out of the Fire Emblem cast thanks to his quickdraw special, not to mention his recovery.

The main difference I've seen from the trailer is that Roy still seems to be the same as before, only this time his one real weakness in not having a good aerial game is now gone. Marth's kills are emphasized on spacing and tippers, whereas Roy excels at a more proper in-your-face style, seeing as his combos are of a quicker pace then Marth's are.

So TL;DR

Project: M Roy = Melee Roy + buffed attacks + combo-able aerial strings

--

Unless one of the developers wants to give us a lowdown about the Ike similarities.

I was originally going to comment on how all the roles of the Fire Emblem Lords seem to have kind of flip flopped around, Originally Marth was the fast one with a good voice, Ike was the slow, good looking one and Roy was the other one who everyone thought was gay. But now it would appear as if Roy is the fast one, Marth is somewhere in the middle and Ike... Ike went off and did some odd solo career and I have no idea what to make of him. Everything is all weird and different and I love it.

So it seems we have a new Gallant Boys Three to deal with now. Do you disagree?

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I wonder how well he can get out of combos now? Definitely looking forward to seeing more of our boy Roy.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
You can hear Roy's sound effects in the video. Also, read the fine print at the end of the video :p.
I read it, I just didn't know if the sound bank technology was going to extend to more possibilities, or only be used when necessary. I was also wondering about consistency (I think Marth and Roy's swords make the same "swoosh" sound in Melee, so would they be made to sound the same in PM?).

Top Bottom