• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs ganon matchup discussion

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
falco is not a get ready to lose match up. its hard but its possible. I beat nite at smym 10

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Agreed.

U-tilt --> U-tilt --> U-tilt --> FJ Dair does like 35% and it's inescapable and leads to grab so it's really like 45%.

And hammer does like 26% so if she recovers she's screwed.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
yeah, seriously. back on real topic topic.

counter out of shield-is it reliable? we ll see next time on Dragon ball Zeeee!

D

Deleted member

yeah, seriously. back on real topic topic.

counter out of shield-is it reliable? we ll see next time on Dragon ball Zeeee!
horrible idea. never counter against a character that can deathgrab you.

I still maintain that this match isn't that bad.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i personlly thing that heavier characters are a lot easier to 3-hit death combo with dtilt, and ganons size makes that so much easier. however that ganon bair would send roy at a horrible trajectory, id rather di infront of ganon after a grab and take an uair to the face and recover.

rhan

Smash Hero
I think the match can go either way depending on how familiar the players are with the character and how they are with that character.

But overall I think a smart Ganon would win the match. Even though Roy can combo Ganon to death combos and get some pretty easy gimps, but a Ganon that's in control is dangerous...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think the match can go either way depending on how familiar the players are with the character and how they are with that character.

But overall I think a smart Ganon would win the match. Even though Roy can combo Ganon to death combos and get some pretty easy gimps, but a Ganon that's in control is dangerous...
Wtf?? Since when Roy can 0-death Ganon? Roy has no combo on Ganon there's no WC DI here, k thx. I'll never lose to any Roy!

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol roy can death combo (nobody said nething about 0-death) any char dude - his tippered air moves are lethally quick if delayed. and dtilt sets up like a mofo. I have 3 moves for you;

Dtilt -> Fair -> Fsmash.
show me a ganon who can survive that and a neutral B edge guard at 50% , without down cancelling. i dont care if their the best **** ganon in the world, theys goin downn

rhan

Smash Hero
Dtilt stun can screw up any Ganon. Uair juggles into a F-smash. It doesn't matter what kind of DI you got. The Dtilt -> Uair -> F-smash works against any heavy/fast falling characters. Mainly around the percent of 50-60ish.

0-Deaths are unlikely but if Roy does catch you with that specific combo and you're flying off the cliff, it's easy to pick Ganon off then.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yes it does matter what kind of DI you've got, ever heard of smash DI.. someone who masters that cannot be comboed... especially with what Downtilt/fair/forward smash combo? That **** doesn't work. Play me!

Everything you know will be down the drain.

rhan

Smash Hero
If that post was directed to me: I don't main Roy. I play against a decent Roy that knows Roy's matchups and what to do. Basically I'm going off what I see him do to some of the best players in our area.

But I'll be more than happy to crush your Ganon with Young Link. :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
I think it was aimed at me, and kage ive seen you play and your talking like you cannot be comboed yourself lol, funnily enough i watched most of your vids today. not saying that your Di isnt good - it is, but dude comeon man you are combo able, play with a combo able char and have not mastered SDI

Your good, but if i can take the countrys best fox to one stock, who counters mario, im pretty sure i could take my characters best matchup to one stock, and still remeber everything i know, walking away with a smile on my face!

:) look there i go already lol

edit: actually my personal best matchup is samus, but ganon is a close 2nd

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If that post was directed to me: I don't main Roy. I play against a decent Roy that knows Roy's matchups and what to do. Basically I'm going off what I see him do to some of the best players in our area.

But I'll be more than happy to crush your Ganon with Young Link. :)
hahaha, you are one million years too early to challenge me.

I think it was aimed at me, and kage ive seen you play and your talking like you cannot be comboed yourself lol, funnily enough i watched most of your vids today. not saying that your Di isnt good - it is, but dude comeon man you are combo able, play with a combo able char and have not mastered SDI

Your good, but if i can take the countrys best fox to one stock, who counters mario, im pretty sure i could take my characters best matchup to one stock, and still remeber everything i know, walking away with a smile on my face!

:) look there i go already lol

edit: actually my personal best matchup is samus, but ganon is a close 2nd
That depends who I go up against, if its Spacies then I'm gonna have a hard time to SDI or DI properly since they are so freaking fast and I myself cannot play them which tells me after all these years that I suck at fast characters but... if its like Falcon, Ganon, Marth.. or whatever under their speed I can definitely DI consistently and you wont be able to combo me.. If I can beat any Marth in the world.. then dont even start with Roy lol.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
O_o i doubt SDI can ever be Mastered. Not unless you're playing AR. Um...also....I think the best someone can do without it is..triple SDI? Which is hecka hard to do. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I can double smash DI on a semi-consisten basis if I KNOW the move is coming. (Getting double stomped by Magus teaches you that.)

That being said....I'd get wrecked 'cuz my Roy has gone to the pooper as of late, but I'd still like to play your Ganon with my Roy, Kage. Just for kicks and giggles.

TheLake

Smash Master
Flare blade edgeguard never fails on big ol ganon

The matchup is ridiculous though...like quite difficult

Just go zelda and kick some tail ^_^

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Kick some patootie, that is.

How does Zelda do against Ganon, from your experience, Lake? I know she's decent against Falcon. :laugh:

Rain, you play Noel and Jin? :)

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yes, yes I do....well I play Noel. I don't really care for Jin. Thogh I should probably pick him up as an official secondary....I wanna play Rachel a little more. Right now, I'm concentrating on Jin. I've got an old vid up of me vs. one of my Clanmates over live. Not great, but I do some sexy combos in it. Of course, I win as well. ^_^

Zelda actually does pretty decent against Ganon, deoesn't she, Lake? I've always had success with it, anyway, lol.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
dtilt>fair>fsmash is escapable by ganon i think.

kages mad good. i wouldnt question his arrogance. ganon is just more of a legit char.

and ganon ****s roy up bad. ganon has a 0-death cg on roy, and possibly 0-death shield poke. fighting ganon is like fighting without a shield. like the only way to win is exploit his wieght. dtilt onto plat>uair/dair> fsmash?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
dtilt>fair>fsmash is escapable by ganon i think.

kages mad good. i wouldnt question his arrogance. ganon is just more of a legit char.

and ganon ****s roy up bad. ganon has a 0-death cg on roy, and possibly 0-death shield poke. fighting ganon is like fighting without a shield. like the only way to win is exploit his wieght. dtilt onto plat>uair/dair> fsmash?
Even then thats hard to do as Ganon can outspace Roy as well.. Roy just doesnt have enough tools to deal with Ganon in general.

My arrogance I guess is only on the boards, I like to sound powerful lol. And I am too so I can back my words easily.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Even then thats hard to do as Ganon can outspace Roy as well.. Roy just doesnt have enough tools to deal with Ganon in general.
Sounds pretty much like Jiggs trying to get into Marth's space.

Does Roy have much of a chance if actually does penetrate? (lulz)

My arrogance I guess is only on the boards
So in actuality, you're a pretty darn nifty guy ain't you?

Ace55

Smash Lord
Prof Pro? He doesn't travel and loses to people who don't place great abroad. Don't compare him to Kage. Skills>matchup.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I personally hate this matchup, I thought it was for Roy's favor since he's a whole lot faster than Ganon but geez, gay CG, his fair, his uair at ledge, and his ****ING TAUNT mess me up. Spacing dtilt doesn't work he fairs and kills you, I also hate the ****ING SIDE AND DOWN Bs 'cos I'm bad at punishing them. The good thing is that DED works really well and punishing his slow roll is tasty, also edgeguarding is really simple: changed b

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
Obviously in Ganon's favor.

Being a Ganon main as well as Roy (don't quote me on the following; I'm not a real pro...I'm just discussing) and I can say Ganon's Fair > yours, Ganon's Dair > yours, Ganon's Uair >> yours, Ganon's Jab >>> yours, Ganon's Ftilt > yours, Ganon's Bair > yours.

Roy's DED > his, Roy's Dtilt > his, Roy's Nair > his, Roy's Utilt >>>>> his, Roy's Fsmash >> his.

Roy's advantages:
--DED stops most apporaches
--SHFFL dropping Fair is good as defense
--Dair has its advantages (FROM MY EXPERIENCE)
--Ganon's horizontal recovery isn't stellar (nor is ours, but...) making Fsmash all the better
--Nair's hitbox is a big help
--Uair juggling is made easier due to his size & weight
--Counter can be a great asset especially when expecting Fairs or Dairs. Send the mofo flying!

Ganon's advantages:
--Fair into submission
--0-91% CG + any aerial = dead
--Great edgeguarding, and Roy's recovery is already worse than balls
--Can pretty much supress Roy's edgeguarding
--Bair can get rid of Roy and quick
--Super-quick Jab; coboable in-and-out
--Dsmash + longest hitstun in game = bad news, Roy
--Easier meteor than Roy's got
--Much better recovery
--Combos Roy like a ragdoll

I'm going on my own experience and general fact and I'll say 60:40 - Ganon. Mainly because, overall Ganondorf's aerials don't have as big of hitboxes as Roy, Ganon can approach Roy in the air very easily and let loose any one of his devastating aerials. CG from 0-91% is 'nuff said.

Roy can turn the match around, however, by the magical counter move. CG from 0-91% + aerial + FD (or any stage other than YS & FoD) = predicted aerial == counter'd = time to recover + KO or great damage dealt. Even if you got it, your chances of recovering would still be less than whatever was less than balls. Honestly, Roy's main problem is recovery, IMO.

That's my take on it, but again, I speak from my experience and general fact, I am not at a pro level...yet...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think you're going about this the wrong way. Not that I disagree with you, I do think Ganon beats Roy, but you don't really compare them move by move to figure out how they stack up. It's the overall flow of each character that compares to the other one.

Also I dunno about it being that easy to approach Roy. Unless you're approaching with the uair, it's possible to react in the windup time to Counter or use some other kind of anti-air. Fairs and nairs are generally also fast enough to stuff an aerial approach.

I'd honestly be more worried about Gerudo Dragon on the approach, or just a dashdance grab of some kind.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
Like I said, that's how I see it, which may or may not have implied, that's how I usually do match-ups. Overall flow...I...honestly have no idea what that is. Flow as in how well they are controlled? Isn't that just comparison to a variable named "skill"? Not trying to bash or anything, I'm merely asking what exactly it means.

It actually is surprisingly easy to approach Roy, if the opponent has good spacing. He'll take tipper Fairs instead of mids, and just continue on. But, yes, Roy does have some reliable anti-airs, but even so, Ganon has a fairly nice chance of getting through. I would also mention bait game but that's totally different.

Gerudo Dragon is stoppable with DED, and Ganon's version is a little slower than Falcon's. But yea, it is a great setup and something to worry about.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I just dunno how to get into his space, eventually he'll force Roy into a corner and he'll win.

Sure Ganon can't zip in and out like Fox, but he receives virtually zero punishment for mispacing, while Roy eats a whole fist o' Ganon if Roy screws up something.

Ganon just has way too much control over the stage, GG.

Top Bottom