• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs ganon matchup discussion

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Flow like... you can't say Fox's fair is worse than Falcon's, therefore Fox is worse than Falcon. It's how all the moves come together that makes the complete character, if that makes sense.

Even if you take a tippered fair, it's going to cut off your aerial. No pun intended. Then Roy can go into a dtilt or something.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
But what does that have to do with flow? Also, I was ranking moves on whether it was batter (to an extent) AND on how much use it is to the character. As in: Ganon's Uair is such a great edgeguarding asset to him, while Roy's Uair is a great damage dealing/juggling asset. Your definition of flow...all you're saying is that my way of viewing matchups is false. Either pick a different word or just tell me my way of viewing is false.

I never said he did an aerial. He could approach with empty SHs or a triangle jump > his own Dtilt > Fair. It may not be a popular one, but it is an approach. He can also just use retreating SHFFL Fairs all day long. Plus, Ganon's pivot and dashdancing game is a bigger threat than ever in this match. Seriously, Roy makes him look like Captain Falcon.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong, I fully agree that Ganon trounces Roy, but I'm just saying it's not very convincing to say that Ganon's fair is better than Roy's fair, therefore Ganon is better than Roy, because you're not subsisting on just that one move, if that makes sense.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
Again, I don't see how that is flow; but I get what you're saying, just a bad word choice is all. By 'flow' I was expecting how a character uses his moves (which is what I was inaccurately and vaguely getting at) and what the moves are used for and why they used for such etc etc etc...

Anyways, yea...|)[_]|)|)[_]|_ >> Ph1r3!!111!1
-----------------___|---_|\|

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im back.

ganon destroys roy.

although, if u can get grabs u can tech chase. its all about the movement to trick them into teching into fsmash range. buuutt,,, not many ppl will chronically fall for the same moves. and getting the grab can be a *****.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
just throwing it out there, ganon's CC is such a pain as roy. your aerials wont stop him, and he just bones you afterwards. of course CC with a lot of characters bones roy, but its especially bad with ganon.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
Lol just forget it, impossible match up!
ganon-cc any approach and punish by taking a stock, getting roy into his shield by dding or something and then fair through shield(taking another stock), chaingrab 0-death.one of the most intense cg in the game.

roy-running in circles trying to grab tech chase ganon into a position on the edge where any direction of tech from fthrow will result in fsmash or regrab.

from 80:20 to 90:10(ganon).

pretty close to imposible imo lol.

TheLake

Smash Master
Kick some patootie, that is.

How does Zelda do against Ganon, from your experience, Lake? I know she's decent against Falcon. :laugh:

Rain, you play Noel and Jin? :)
O M Y Howd I miss this?

Zeldas even MORE DECENT against ganon!
d
His just a big ol softie waiting to be kicked

Its a pressure matchup with fairs biiiitches!!!!

Tipman ***** me though...<3 he out flashed me ^_^

D

Deleted member

I'd rather play zelda vs ganon than roy, but only because of match-up familiarity. Eddie has historically beat me like 60/40 in ganon vs zelda and I made quick work of tipman @ MLG.

The fun in roy vs ganon is that roy actually has to win with his air game due to ganon's sheer weight/ CC grab, and roy's air game is lolbad in the first place.

I still don't think this match is terrible. Well, unless roy doesn't ban YS for some reason. roy vs ganon on YS is basically unwinnable.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
would everybody just listen to this guy! he speaks the truth!

i mained Roy in Melee and against my friend's Ganon i always lose.
even against the stupid lvl9 cpu's i rarely win this match up.
I really think that's because you're playing the match up wrong. When fighting Ganon all you have to do is be patient. Ganon is slow and you have more mobility than he'll ever have, just dash dance camp, space him and the punish him. Roy has a lot of combos and Ganon and I think people have overlooked 2 things which allows Roy to beat Ganon far easier than other mid-tier characters.

1) Roy can edge guard Ganon nearly perfect with Flare Blade. Once he's off the stage just go to the ledge and charge it. He can't space the ledge because of how much range the blade has, and the blade goes above Roy's head so it's difficult for Ganon to go above you. Once Ganon gets hit by that he's dead.

2) Counter simply ***** Ganon, if you counter any of his areals or smashes while Ganon is over 50% then that Ganondorf is either dead or too far off the stage for your Flare Blade not to kill him. Roy doesn't do half as bad in this match as people are saying.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I really think that's because you're playing the match up wrong. When fighting Ganon all you have to do is be patient. Ganon is slow and you have more mobility than he'll ever have, just dash dance camp, space him and the punish him. Roy has a lot of combos and Ganon and I think people have overlooked 2 things which allows Roy to beat Ganon far easier than other mid-tier characters.

1) Roy can edge guard Ganon nearly perfect with Flare Blade. Once he's off the stage just go to the ledge and charge it. He can't space the ledge because of how much range the blade has, and the blade goes above Roy's head so it's difficult for Ganon to go above you. Once Ganon gets hit by that he's dead.

2) Counter simply ***** Ganon, if you counter any of his areals or smashes while Ganon is over 50% then that Ganondorf is either dead or too far off the stage for your Flare Blade not to kill him. Roy doesn't do half as bad in this match as people are saying.
Umm completely wrong, Roy CANNOT edgeguard Ganon in any way.. Ganon's Up B will easily absorb any of Roy's moves on the edge. And well counter, if a Ganon gets hit by a counter he sucks ****.. you just need to empty jump grab if you think Roy is gonna counter. Easy as that. Ganon is not slow, only his run speed and maybe his fastfall sucks but other than that, he can put up moves as fast as Falcon. Also Ganon outspaces or out-zones Roy so easily it's not even funny.

Anyways, even PKM tried Roy like what.. 14 times now and only succeeded once almost twice lol. And all the other PRO Roy mains got 3-4 stocked because it's an impossible matchup =P

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you only use counter out of reaction against Ganon, not in anticipation. and yes it is possible and easy

but only use it against fair and sometimes dair if your on FoD.

Kage, Idon't really know how you get around flareblade edgeguard but if you recovery high then roy uses flareblade and it misses and then wavedashes over to you and F-smashes.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
you only use counter out of reaction against Ganon, not in anticipation. and yes it is possible and easy

but only use it against fair and sometimes dair if your on FoD.

Kage, Idon't really know how you get around flareblade edgeguard but if you recovery high then roy uses flareblade and it misses and then wavedashes over to you and F-smashes.
Well one thing what you CAN do is platform cancel Up B so you can avoid that. And if you go behind Roy and he F-smash the other side, it's probably not gonna be strong enough for a successful edgeguard at low %. As I said, you can simply go low and absorb his flareblade almost all the time with the proper air spacing i guess.

Roy in theory looks good... but you'll see that in action he has NOTHING against Ganon.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
ok well while your trying to get inside me with roys sword ill just be kobe'ing you offstage and gimping you with uairs and bairs. gg roy

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ok well while your trying to get inside me with roys sword ill just be kobe'ing you offstage and gimping you with uairs and bairs. gg roy
and if you ever use fair above 50% I'm going to counter and edgeguard you because ganon is easy to edge guard. gg ganon

Divinokage

Smash Legend
and if you ever use fair above 50% I'm going to counter and edgeguard you because ganon is easy to edge guard. gg ganon
Not with Roy, =P So you say you will become a great Roy.. well go for it, go gain experience, though you will never in your life not even 20 years beat me with Roy against Ganon because the matchup is 90-10 for me. =P Or should I say the reality is that youll never stand a chance vs me with Roy.. that's your destiny lol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Not with Roy, =P So you say you will become a great Roy.. well go for it, go gain experience, though you will never in your life not even 20 years beat me with Roy against Ganon because the matchup is 90-10 for me. =P Or should I say the reality is that youll never stand a chance vs me with Roy.. that's your destiny lol.
I don't care kage, if I do everything I can to be better with my character then I bet I can turn that 10% into 20%

and that's good enough for me.

I know my character has terrible match ups, I don't care, I'm going to prove you can over come them. or make them seem not as terrible

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I don't care kage, if I do everything I can to be better with my character then I bet I can turn that 10% into 20%

and that's good enough for me.

I know my character has terrible match ups, I don't care, I'm going to prove you can over come them. or make them seem not as terrible
Aww I was hoping that it would put some hype. lol.

Ya nothing is impossible, I have proven it with my character. =P But you know, you have to be SUPER impressive with your character though if that's even possible. GL

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Aww I was hoping that it would put some hype. lol.

Ya nothing is impossible, I have proven it with my character. =P But you know, you have to be SUPER impressive with your character though if that's even possible. GL
you just wait kage, by the end of next year I'll be one of the best in the midwest. HYPE!

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
only kage can tell someone they will never beat them in 20 years and their destiny is to lose to them and not get flamed back. only kage

`DNS`

Smash Lord
hey this is the roy vs GANON thread

not roy vs THE WARRIOR

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
People were saying that about Ganondorf at one point, no? When you start owning fools with Roy, Kage, then you can say he has nothing, because only someone who thoroughly knows the character can attest to their absolute weaknesses and strengths.

I hate Roy, for the record. But I believe that there is still much left to discover about him. Against Ganon it's just straight up ownage though, I can't imagine any Roy player doing well against a seasoned Ganon. He has more power, reach and doesn't need to right up in anyone's face before they can do decent damage.

Top Bottom