• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs ganon matchup discussion

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
How does the roy board feel about this particular matchup? Anyone has anything to say that could help me in it? I have trouble with just about everything.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I find the ganon matchup pretty easy so long you just keep back and wait for him to attack. The 2 major things you have to watch out for (just my opinion) are his fair and his grab. His dthrow is a nice chain throw on roy. I tend to just space with the dtilt and get some damage on him. Ganons fair has a lot more range than it looks, so be wary not to get too close.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
ganons not that bad of a matchup. take him to FoD and you can maximize with dtilt. like following from the dtilt on to a platform w/ an uair or fair or some crap.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
This matchup is balls to the wall awesome. 3 hit DED and retreating d-tilts are your best friend. He's not quite fast enough to punish your 3 hit DED with a CC attack and if you space properly he can't CC grab. Never try to edgeguard him when you can edgehog instead.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
DED will suffocate most of his approaches, however well spaced u-airs can still get you. CCC against his aerials is not a good idea in this match-up, however CCCing his tilts into D-tilt combo's are the way to go.

Waveland tilt's and retreating fair would be your bread and butter for spacing while your DED and D-tilt is Ganon's bane(abuse it!.)

When recovering, hope he stomps you and not reverse u-airs, because you can at least tech or met cancel the stomp.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
retreating fairs is a must. as with Dash Dance>DED. another thing is dthrow and fthrow are great tech chase setups.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
How do you deal with ganon's CC game on roy? He can CC everything I throw at him up to ridiculous %. 1 grab and I take up some massive damage.

How do you deal with ganon's aerials poking your shield at 100% about half the time? I try and lightshield and dash dance out of his moves, but if my lightshield gets hit i'm lagging and forced to roll which results in me just shielding another of his aerial (thus risking a poke which hurts)

How do you deal with ganon's edgeguard? On almost every stage, once you're offstage after being hit at over 100% and it's over, double jump or not. Ganon can just edgehog any attempts at a recovery and then **** me while I lag on stage.

How do you deal with ganon's weight and recovery? Ganon doesn't die, except on FD which isn't tooo bad (still slightly ******** though). On any platform stage, he can just up b onto the platforms and avoid your only edgeguarding tool against him (fwd smash).

I think this is a ******** matchup, probably one of the hardest in the game.

unknown522

Some guy
PKM has spoken.

Anyways, he said pretty much the same thing that I would say.

Jason, roy vs ganon is a horrible matchup, despite what people may think. Use sheik or falco or something. Even DK.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
you deal w/ his cc by grabbing him. or spacing(roy has a sword, take advantage) dthrow is good, always try to tech chase.

your not suppose to depend on a shield to protect you, DED out prioritizes most of his aproaches.

but ganon still has colossal range and power. he is hard to deal with. you have to exploit his weight. cc dtilt on FoD and mangoland is one way. techchases are awesome due to his weight. on smaller stages u can force him to tech the way you want.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
DED his aerials, DED his CC (third hit down B you can space it.)

Reverse U-air on your recovery = lost stock, period. Go for the air dodge onto stage if you can.

For edgeguarding, stay on the ledge and LH Bair him if he goes low, if high, jump up and reverse flare blade

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
PKM has spoken.

Anyways, he said pretty much the same thing that I would say.

Jason, roy vs ganon is a horrible matchup, despite what people may think. Use sheik or falco or something. Even DK.
I know that Ryan lol, I was just wondering what the people on smashboards thought about the matchup and well yeah, they don't know much as expected, i'll link this thread to kage so he can rofl a bit.

ty swf kek

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I know that Ryan lol, I was just wondering what the people on smashboards thought about the matchup and well yeah, they don't know much as expected, i'll link this thread to kage so he can rofl a bit.

ty swf kek
Hm... I'd say this is an impossible matchup for Roy, me and PKM we played 10 matches Roy/Ganon and I won 9 and he won 1.. with difficulty. Also to that, I 4 stocked Sethlon before, Cactuar attempted this matchup too and proceeded to get 3-0ed triple 3 stocked lol.

Roy in theory looks good, you can talk about how he can space stuff and all that but in practice all that is an illusion. Anything you try it won't happen the way you think it'll happen, which is why he's an unpredictable character which is HORRIBLE!! Ya I lolled pretty hard, Roy/Ganon is impossible for Roy =D. I can shield stab even at full shield all the time, I can outspace him, I can edgeguard him easily. Ya pretty much lol Roy =P

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
yeah, cactuar told me he did better than sethlon though lmbo.

all roy has is the tech chase, which varies depending how stupid the ganon is. yeah roy does have ded, but the fact is, ganon has more range.

70:30 in ganons favor imo. *changes to marth **still loses** * lol marth ties ganon at best

Divinokage

Smash Legend
yeah, cactuar told me he did better than sethlon though lmbo.

all roy has is the tech chase, which varies depending how stupid the ganon is. yeah roy does have ded, but the fact is, ganon has more range.

70:30 in ganons favor imo. *changes to marth **still loses** * lol marth ties ganon at best
I'd say it's a 90:10 even if the roy is as skilled as the Ganon.

D

Deleted member

this match isn't that bad, roy just has to evade attacks with WD and tip pokes rather than blocking and sidestepping. Roy's aerial side b is invaluable in this match, something most roy players seem to avoid like the plague.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
^ exactly, roy shielding against ganon is just.... stupid. and DED is quicker than ganons airials, and you cant CC roys DED in mid air. even if the roy has dip game, ganon just has such an easy time killing roy. and such a hard time GETTING killed by roy.

p.s. there is a stickied character specific thread im trying to bring back so pls post about this match in there. :)

unknown522

Some guy

ty swf kek
lol, ok. Counter annoys ganon.

Hm... I'd say this is an impossible matchup for Roy, me and PKM we played 10 matches Roy/Ganon and I won 9 and he won 1.. with difficulty. Also to that, I 4 stocked Sethlon before, Cactuar attempted this matchup too and proceeded to get 3-0ed triple 3 stocked lol.

Roy in theory looks good, you can talk about how he can space stuff and all that but in practice all that is an illusion. Anything you try it won't happen the way you think it'll happen, which is why he's an unpredictable character which is HORRIBLE!! Ya I lolled pretty hard, Roy/Ganon is impossible for Roy =D. I can shield stab even at full shield all the time, I can outspace him, I can edgeguard him easily. Ya pretty much lol Roy =P
Counter kills ganon at reasonable percents. If he misses though, it's game over, lol

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
CGs make the game sooo dull and lifeless. *cough* brawl *cough*

jk, but CGs are homo.
ganon butchers roy pretty badly. but if the roy isnt stupid, he stands a chance. not much of one though.

ganon even says thank you come again after he rips you off. (i neeeeded to make an indian joke on ganon)

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
Not that simple, I can just switch it up to a grab, and that means a CG lol.
I like chain grabbing Roy but that counter really does keep me in place. Sad thing though is Ganons options when he know what the counter can do. Deal 50+ percent in fairs and hope Roy doesn't counter or grab and deal 50+ percent that way. Danm, I like Roy to but he gets cheated so bad in this match if Ganon doesn't wanna play fair. Get it, doesn't wanna play fair.

-Thank you come again.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
this match isn't that bad, roy just has to evade attacks with WD and tip pokes rather than blocking and sidestepping. Roy's aerial side b is invaluable in this match, something most roy players seem to avoid like the plague.
You're joking right?
Jasonnn come to Toronto

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
For edgeguarding, stay on the ledge and LH Bair him if he goes low, if high, jump up and reverse flare blade
Bair and flare blade don't have enough knock back to kill a heavy like Ganon. I believe bair sends Ganon higher, actually, making it easier for him to recover. Flare blade if you have to (and obviously if you can charge it for half a second, that's awesome). It won't KO, but sometimes it sets up for a more reliable edgeguard.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I just got a little bit of experience in this matchup, space down-tilts to combo nairs and approach with DED when you have the openings. DED forward, up, forward works well.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
there's really a thread on this?
I never have problems with matches against Ganondorf whatsoever

spaced d-tilts, tipper side-b, shield grabbing and d-throws (do your grab attacks), and ccharging flare blade beats every Ganondorf I ever play against

at 1100ish % you can f-air and u-air combo Ganonddorf very easily as well
at 190% you can use u-throw as a killing blow on Ganondorf

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
renth could of easily 3-4 stocked exarch if he cc more.
and see how he killed him at 0 % from a shield poke on FD?

srsly, ganon, falco, and peach are the "get ready to lose match ups"

Divinokage

Smash Legend

haha.. see what I mean now? Roy sucks in battle. he's good in theory though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

or he could do the full chain grab

seriously, ganon's chain grab on roy is easier than sheik's chain grab on roy and leads to better kill options

i think what people struggle with against roy is that he's a character where jump back + moves isn't always the best answer. even though it is very acceptable because he has bad aerials.

Renth

Smash Hero
Thanks for watching those guys, I was hoping they'd shed something towards the conversation. The matches are old, i'm horrible at chain grabbing and Exarch and I use to play on a daily basis being very use to each other.

<3

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
haha.. see what I mean now? Roy sucks in battle. he's good in theory though.
lol, good in theory. what a consolation.

i dont cg on friendlies at all. if i do, i only do it twice. i cant seem to sit there and do one throw repetitively. too boring.

Top Bottom