• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Eureka

Smash Ace
Katie pulls no punches, even for returns.

I'm disappointed in all of them, the very first thing Roy asked when he arrived in Smash 4 was not to be forgotten, and they couldn't even give him that. Especially Pikachu, since the Pikachu in Brawl and Smash 4 is the Pichu from Melee, you'd think they would have some sort of bond. I can just imagine a massive crowd of all the Roy fans outside chanting "Roy's our boy!" while this is all going on though. All the players love him at least.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
After playing with Roy a bit, I can say that he fits my playstyle well. Moves fast, hits hard. I like it. He's my secondary for now. If Wolf comes back, all three of my primary characters will be cut DLC vets.

And if we're still talking about 'old' Fire Emblem games, 7 is my favorite. Maybe just because it's the one that I started with when I was 13, and the first to hit the States (thanks, Marth and Roy!), but I seem to have the most fun with it compared to the others. I own all games released in the States except for Radiant Dawn, and have enjoyed them all (yes, even Awakening...), but Shadow Dragon felt really empty.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy is still being given the shaft I see. Robin needs to learn the difference between Roy and Eliwood.

Ah well, at least he's back now and doesn't have to frantically attempt to get back in.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm disappointed in all of them, the very first thing Roy asked when he arrived in Smash 4 was not to be forgotten, and they couldn't even give him that. Especially Pikachu, since the Pikachu in Brawl and Smash 4 is the Pichu from Melee, you'd think they would have some sort of bond. I can just imagine a massive crowd of all the Roy fans outside chanting "Roy's our boy!" while this is all going on though. All the players love him at least.
Bleeeh.

This is AZ.

What other Smash-comics as influencing as this are around?

Better take this predictably funny satire in, bud.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I want your guys opinion on this. So one time i said on the AZ melee/PM comm that i wanted to be the best Roy player here since my ultimate goal is yes to be the best Roy in PM( i know its a long shot but still it is a dream i have just like meeting Sethlon) and all they did is bash m,e for it saying that one guy who doesnt even main Roy could 4 stock me in a ditto which was probably false. I mean i just stopped being a part of AZ since they are all a**holes but still i hate it when people bash on you for having a dream/goal. Im sure im not the only one here who wants to be the best Roy. And i know im pretty far from it since its almost impossible for me to actually go to tourneys and practice.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Bleeeh.

This is AZ.

What other Smash-comics as influencing as this are around?

Better take this predictably funny satire in, bud.
Funny is still funny, I rather enjoy these comics myself.
I want your guys opinion on this. So one time i said on the AZ melee/PM comm that i wanted to be the best Roy player here since my ultimate goal is yes to be the best Roy in PM( i know its a long shot but still it is a dream i have just like meeting Sethlon) and all they did is bash m,e for it saying that one guy who doesnt even main Roy could 4 stock me in a ditto which was probably false. I mean i just stopped being a part of AZ since they are all a**holes but still i hate it when people bash on you for having a dream/goal. Im sure im not the only one here who wants to be the best Roy. And i know im pretty far from it since its almost impossible for me to actually go to tourneys and practice.
They're just jealous because they know you're going to come back and destroy them with your Roy. Don't let anyone tell you that your dream is impossible, don't listen to anyone who says your goal is stupid, because no champion has ever just stepped up and took the throne for free, they had to earn it. I'm right with you though, because I'm striving to be the best Captain Falcon in Smash 4. I've had to deal with jerks like that but I don't care because I know I can be the best. Not think, not maybe, but know, because even ZeRo was some nobody out in Chile at some point. I have the same problem with a lack of tournaments in my area, but you've got plenty of time to play others in the future. PM isn't going anywhere unless Nintendo goes full tyrant mode, in which case we riot to get it back. People will be jerks, but they will never be the best. Once you commit to your goal and know you can be the best you're already closer to that goal then they'll ever be.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Funny is still funny, I rather enjoy these comics myself.

They're just jealous because they know you're going to come back and destroy them with your Roy. Don't let anyone tell you that your dream is impossible, don't listen to anyone who says your goal is stupid, because no champion has ever just stepped up and took the throne for free, they had to earn it. I'm right with you though, because I'm striving to be the best Captain Falcon in Smash 4. I've had to deal with jerks like that but I don't care because I know I can be the best. Not think, not maybe, but know, because even ZeRo was some nobody out in Chile at some point. I have the same problem with a lack of tournaments in my area, but you've got plenty of time to play others in the future. PM isn't going anywhere unless Nintendo goes full tyrant mode, in which case we riot to get it back. People will be jerks, but they will never be the best. Once you commit to your goal and know you can be the best you're already closer to that goal then they'll ever be.
Yeah i guess so. Then again i dont think ZeRo is even good. He is literally only good because Smash4 is full of scrubs. ZeRo doesnt even play the other games anymore since he can just get EZ Money from winning smash 4. The smash 4 scene yes isnt built yet but still it shouldnt be this bad

Eureka

Smash Ace
Yeah i guess so. Then again i dont think ZeRo is even good. He is literally only good because Smash4 is full of scrubs. ZeRo doesnt even play the other games anymore since he can just get EZ Money from winning smash 4. The smash 4 scene yes isnt built yet but still it shouldnt be this bad
Unless you are saying that literally every Smash 4 player is a scrub (which would offend me greatly) it's still quite an accomplishment to be the undisputed best player in the world. Sure the scene might be newer and less people have had the time to get super good but that doesn't make ZeRo any worse.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Unless you are saying that literally every Smash 4 player is a scrub (which would offend me greatly) it's still quite an accomplishment to be the undisputed best player in the world. Sure the scene might be newer and less people have had the time to get super good but that doesn't make ZeRo any worse.
Im not im just saying that Zero abuses that fact. He is so full of himself that because he hasnt lost in smash 4 he is automatically the greatest. Besides if people wanted to they could beat Zero easy they are just playing in their opinion better games like melee and PM. Im not saying your bad because if that is what i said that would mean im a scrub too which i know im not.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Im not im just saying that Zero abuses that fact. He is so full of himself that because he hasnt lost in smash 4 he is automatically the greatest. Besides if people wanted to they could beat Zero easy they are just playing in their opinion better games like melee and PM. Im not saying your bad because if that is what i said that would mean im a scrub too which i know im not.
That's yet to have been shown. PM and Melee are very different games than Smash 4, you can't just jump from one to the other and automatically bop the best Smash 4 player. Also, not losing at all does kinda make you the greatest by definition. So until someone actually does step up and dethrone ZeRo, he's still the best and a very good player. That's just my opinion though, you're welcome to yours.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
That's yet to have been shown. PM and Melee are very different games than Smash 4, you can't just jump from one to the other and automatically bop the best Smash 4 player. Also, not losing at all does kinda make you the greatest by definition. So until someone actually does step up and dethrone ZeRo, he's still the best and a very good player. That's just my opinion though, you're welcome to yours.
Ditto to your Opinion too. its just hard to see why no one has beaten him yet. At least in my case i can jump from every smash game back and forth. And i play with just as much tech skill or whatever you want to call it in each. It may take a few matches but i still can switch pretty easily. Also may be the fact that the people who could beat Zero refuse to play smash 4 since they deem it inferior to melee or whatever. Just my thoughts but i do look forward to the day Zero loses. and when he stops whining about one frame nerfs to his mains. Boo hoo we all know Roy and Ryu are probably getting nerfed next patch since everyone is complaining about them. In PM my boi Roys Blazer is getting nerfed and thats a big deal for Roy mains but im not complaining. I will adapt. M2K said one time on FB that all his hard work is going to waste because of nerfs. In MY Opinion i dont think he should complain. He is a PRO. Pros adapt to anything and everything. Leffen Armada and Mang0 all adapt to NTSC and PAL melee all the time. That is why they are the best of the best. M2K just complains about nerfs. If you are a pro dont let it get to you and just keep playing.

I'm rooting for Mr. E at EVO to knock him into loser's or plain out. He's been training pretty hard and it's showing.

Mr. E-VO.

Hoping to see San (getting ridiculous mileage out of 1.0.8 buffs), Ryo, and Neo there too.

Last edited:

Xeynid

Smash Cadet
Except if you want to continue to be one of the best, the nerfs may end up pushing too far and knocking your character far enough back that you're, essentially, tacking extra challenges onto yourself just to compete.

And then some people will ***** at you for "Not being a true main of your character!" because you switched away when your character may not work anymore.

You can't complain about someone not playing a character anymore because that character isn't as good. You don't get bonus points for being too stubborn to recognize that your character may not be as good as it once was either.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Ditto to your Opinion too. its just hard to see why no one has beaten him yet. At least in my case i can jump from every smash game back and forth. And i play with just as much tech skill or whatever you want to call it in each. It may take a few matches but i still can switch pretty easily. Also may be the fact that the people who could beat Zero refuse to play smash 4 since they deem it inferior to melee or whatever. Just my thoughts but i do look forward to the day Zero loses. and when he stops whining about one frame nerfs to his mains. Boo hoo we all know Roy and Ryu are probably getting nerfed next patch since everyone is complaining about them. In PM my boi Roys Blazer is getting nerfed and thats a big deal for Roy mains but im not complaining. I will adapt. M2K said one time on FB that all his hard work is going to waste because of nerfs. In MY Opinion i dont think he should complain. He is a PRO. Pros adapt to anything and everything. Leffen Armada and Mang0 all adapt to NTSC and PAL melee all the time. That is why they are the best of the best. M2K just complains about nerfs. If you are a pro dont let it get to you and just keep playing.
There is a huge difference between adapting to two set-in-stone versions and adapting to sets of buffs and nerfs which occur a couple of months apart. Additionally, it's much harder to play at a top level in all of the games. M2K was able to do it with Brawl and Melee for awhile, but he fell off in melee as long as he was trying to do both. His tech skill wasn't as clean. ZeRo is also a really good player, and that much is obvious from watching his matches. Sure, the rest of the community may not have caught up to him, but he's really really good.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Except if you want to continue to be one of the best, the nerfs may end up pushing too far and knocking your character far enough back that you're, essentially, tacking extra challenges onto yourself just to compete.

And then some people will ***** at you for "Not being a true main of your character!" because you switched away when your character may not work anymore.

You can't complain about someone not playing a character anymore because that character isn't as good. You don't get bonus points for being too stubborn to recognize that your character may not be as good as it once was either.
You are in the Roy thread i think we of all people are true mains to Roy since he is pretty crappy in melee. I dont care if my character is the worst in the game i will still play him.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I'm rooting for Mr. E at EVO to knock him into loser's or plain out. He's been training pretty hard and it's showing.

Mr. E-VO.
Nah, we all know he's going to get knocked out by some nobody spamming custom moves, thus sending the community into a downward spiral of doom which it will never recover from and the only tournaments left will be free-for-alls with items on and 75M legal... At least that's how some of the people who are against customs are acting like. Don't forget though, before EVO we've got CEO close at hand, and we even have a bounty on ZeRo's head at that tournament.
You are in the Roy thread i think we of all people are true mains to Roy since he is pretty crappy in melee. I dont care if my character is the worst in the game i will still play him.
If you want to win sometimes you have to play characters for reasons other then liking the character. I doubt ZeRo picked up Diddy because he loves monkeys, he did it because he did the best with that character. Now if Diddy was all of a sudden nerfed to the point where ZeRo could preform better with other characters (which seems to be slowly happening) then are we supposed to ask him to go down with his ship and stop winning games just because otherwise he's not a "true main"?

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Nah, we all know he's going to get knocked out by some nobody spamming custom moves, thus sending the community into a downward spiral of doom which it will never recover from and the only tournaments left will be free-for-alls with items on and 75M legal... At least that's how some of the people who are against customs are acting like. Don't forget though, before EVO we've got CEO close at hand, and we even have a bounty on ZeRo's head at that tournament.

If you want to win sometimes you have to play characters for reasons other then liking the character. I doubt ZeRo picked up Diddy because he loves monkeys, he did it because he did the best with that character. Now if Diddy was all of a sudden nerfed to the point where ZeRo could preform better with other characters (which seems to be slowly happening) then are we supposed to ask him to go down with his ship and stop winning games just because otherwise he's not a "true main"?
ill be honest here i play Fox in melee more than i play roy nowadays because well Roy doesnt cut it for me in melee. Sure i play him for fun against my friends for fun main Link. But we both love our mains but we play Fox and Flaco respectively. In PM though i solo main Roy and occasionally pull out Mario. I just hate people who only play top tiers to win. Ive always been like that. I dont play fox to win in melee. I do like how he plays and i do still play Roy so dont start the whole you just said you play fox thing.

Eureka

Smash Ace
ill be honest here i play Fox in melee more than i play roy nowadays because well Roy doesnt cut it for me in melee. Sure i play him for fun against my friends for fun main Link. But we both love our mains but we play Fox and Flaco respectively. In PM though i solo main Roy and occasionally pull out Mario. I just hate people who only play top tiers to win. Ive always been like that. I dont play fox to win in melee. I do like how he plays and i do still play Roy so dont start the whole you just said you play fox thing.
You said you play Fox, argument = invalid. Kidding of course, I don't see one reason for selecting a character inherently better than another. Whether it's because you love the character, have the most fun playing that character, or do the best playing that character, they're all good reasons. What's cool is that even though you may pick a character for one reason, you often branch into the others. In my case, my first main was Marth in Brawl because I did the best with him. However, the more I played him I found that I had fun with his sword fighting style, so I started to have a lot of fun playing Marth. Then because I had such fun playing Marth I wanted to learn more about his character, so I purchased Shadow Dragon and got into Fire Emblem. On the other hand, I screwed around with Captain Falcon purely because I wanted to have fun Falcon Punching, kneeing, and asking for moves to be shown. I started to love his character (I mean come on, he's Captain Falcon), and when Smash 4 came around I found I did the best playing as Falcon because of all the time I messed around with him in Brawl. So if some people want to win that's fine by me, so long as they're also enjoying themselves while playing.

Looks like another opportunity to vote for Roy again, except this time without the Fighter Ballot.

This was a pretty nice animation on the joys (and hardships) of Roy's return.

At 2:39, Roy, Ryu, and Lucas popped up in a subscription vote sort of deal.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
You said you play Fox, argument = invalid. Kidding of course, I don't see one reason for selecting a character inherently better than another. Whether it's because you love the character, have the most fun playing that character, or do the best playing that character, they're all good reasons. What's cool is that even though you may pick a character for one reason, you often branch into the others. In my case, my first main was Marth in Brawl because I did the best with him. However, the more I played him I found that I had fun with his sword fighting style, so I started to have a lot of fun playing Marth. Then because I had such fun playing Marth I wanted to learn more about his character, so I purchased Shadow Dragon and got into Fire Emblem. On the other hand, I screwed around with Captain Falcon purely because I wanted to have fun Falcon Punching, kneeing, and asking for moves to be shown. I started to love his character (I mean come on, he's Captain Falcon), and when Smash 4 came around I found I did the best playing as Falcon because of all the time I messed around with him in Brawl. So if some people want to win that's fine by me, so long as they're also enjoying themselves while playing.
You have a valid point there. I did actually hate all Fox mains before i played fox and funnily enough in melee falcon is my best character. and hes fun to moonwalk and stuff in. I dont know maybe its the whole Roy was bad now hes good so people actually like him thing bugs me. I just know that if people played his melee self after smash 4 they would hate it and probably not like him. And yeah i understand now that some people play to only win. and some play to win AND have fun

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Learn the AoE that Flare Blade has at different levels of charge. It grows and can catch people off guard if they aren't careful.

The side smash salt is too real.

@Xaltis sick Roy breh. The Marth MU is lame as hell for Roy in every game he's in but you did well in it and I think he's a good Rosalina secondary for other stuff. (different set)

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I got some Roy vids that I'm uploading through a 3rd party though its online so i post them tomorrow or Wednesday.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Why is the Marth MU bad for Roy?

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
Roy with rage is a scary thing. I just ko'd a falco at the ledge when he was at 128% with a Nair (i had 144%)

Why is the Marth MU bad for Roy?
Marth has much nastier stuff on you than you do on him off any given hit due to his floaty falling speed versus your fast falling speed and how many followups and true combos each enable on each other. He is much better at juggling you and punishing your landings than you are with him. Your offstage gimp potential and ledge trump punishes on him are much less severe than his on you. He can ledge trump back air you or go back on stage and either tipper fsmash your ledge grab or tipper fsmash/ftilt you if you're opting for the stage. Even if he misses tipper on you opting for the stage it still resets the situation and puts you back into a bad one, possibly a much worse one if you don't get your second jump back via landing, plus sourspot Marth fsmash is still stronk. Fadeaway fairs, Shield Breaker, ftilt, jab, fast falling fadeaway fairs and such are really annoying to deal with, his general spacing game shuts down your rushdown potential and forces you to play even more patient than him with less reward off of absolutely anything in neutral.
You also have much less that's safe on shield than he does and he's better at sharking you than you are against him, though you still hurt him pretty hard when he's landing or stuck on platforms.
Jab on you is pretty noteworthy, he can get first jab -> fsmash tipper at pretty nice ranges (kill range, even), and he has more jab lock tools versus you which can be nasty.

The only things you have on him are:

1: Easier sweetspot on moves like fsmash/dash attack/dsmash to kill, though his tipped versions of those **** you up harder than your sweetspotted versions do on him.
2: Usmash kills him at nice ranges due to his fall speed and he doesn't have too much to work around it, his usmash, utilt, and uthrow will have trouble ending your stocks due to your fall speed + competent DI.
3: T3H PH1R3
4: Praying he doesn't know the Roy MU or forgets it after the DLC bandwagon dies down.

You have to play patient, pray you get early kills off fsmash/usmash/dash attack/gimps, avoid getting gimped as much as possible, and read the **** out of his options at least a few times to win. Hard MU but not unwinnable, requires a lot more outplaying than 50/50 MU's or a good share of bad ones.

Final Grade: 65/35 or 70/30, 40/60 if I'm being optimistic or find more tools to win the MU over time. All Marth's favor.
Need more playtesting for Lucina (both as and against Roy) but it seems slightly better for us than Marth.

If you have any secondaries, you're more than likely best off picking them in the Marth MU if you tend to enjoy winning. You can pick anyone on the roster or use the random button and you'll more than likely get someone that's better at the MU.

If you want a good secondary for it, Falcon should be easy to pick up for Roy players due to their similarities and tends to give Marth a hard time similar to how Marth gives Roy a hard time. Link, Peach, Yoshi, Sheik, Dedede, R.O.B, Villager, and Pac-Man should also give Marth a hard time if you play any of them and are looking to upgrade them.

The MU is terrifyingly worse in Melee and unfun in most cases.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Marth has much nastier stuff on you than you do on him off any given hit due to his floaty falling speed versus your fast falling speed and how many followups and true combos each enable on each other. He is much better at juggling you and punishing your landings than you are with him. Your offstage gimp potential and ledge trump punishes on him are much less severe than his on you. He can ledge trump back air you or go back on stage and either tipper fsmash your ledge grab or tipper fsmash/ftilt you if you're opting for the stage. Even if he misses tipper on you opting for the stage it still resets the situation and puts you back into a bad one, possibly a much worse one if you don't get your second jump back via landing, plus sourspot Marth fsmash is still stronk. Fadeaway fairs, Shield Breaker, ftilt, jab, fast falling fadeaway fairs and such are really annoying to deal with, his general spacing game shuts down your rushdown potential and forces you to play even more patient than him with less reward off of absolutely anything in neutral.
You also have much less that's safe on shield than he does and he's better at sharking you than you are against him, though you still hurt him pretty hard when he's landing or stuck on platforms.
Jab on you is pretty noteworthy, he can get first jab -> fsmash tipper at pretty nice ranges (kill range, even), and he has more jab lock tools versus you which can be nasty.

The only things you have on him are:

1: Easier sweetspot on moves like fsmash/dash attack/dsmash to kill, though his tipped versions of those **** you up harder than your sweetspotted versions do on him.
2: Usmash kills him at nice ranges due to his fall speed and he doesn't have too much to work around it, his usmash, utilt, and uthrow will have trouble ending your stocks due to your fall speed + competent DI.
3: T3H PH1R3
4: Praying he doesn't know the Roy MU or forgets it after the DLC bandwagon dies down.

You have to play patient, pray you get early kills off fsmash/usmash/dash attack/gimps, avoid getting gimped as much as possible, and read the **** out of his options at least a few times to win. Hard MU but not unwinnable, requires a lot more outplaying than 50/50 MU's or a good share of bad ones.

Final Grade: 65/35 or 70/30, 40/60 if I'm being optimistic or find more tools to win the MU over time. All Marth's favor.
Need more playtesting for Lucina (both as and against Roy) but it seems slightly better for us than Marth.

If you have any secondaries, you're more than likely best off picking them in the Marth MU if you tend to enjoy winning. You can pick anyone on the roster or use the random button and you'll more than likely get someone that's better at the MU.

If you want a good secondary for it, Falcon should be easy to pick up for Roy players due to their similarities and tends to give Marth a hard time similar to how Marth gives Roy a hard time. Link, Peach, Yoshi, Sheik, Dedede, R.O.B, Villager, and Pac-Man should also give Marth a hard time if you play any of them and are looking to upgrade them.

The MU is terrifyingly worse in Melee and unfun in most cases.
i agree if you think Marth is hard to fight in this game please by all means play Melee where Roy gets rekt by Marth and pretty much the entire cast. IIRC the only good MU he has is his Ditto and Pichu. I can vouch that Roy has horrible MUs in melee and at least in smash 4 its not as bad. PTSD from Flaco pillars destroys people man

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Marth does not feel nearly as bad to play against as he's been described. Roy's main weakness in the matchup, in my opinion, is his recovery. I'd say it's about 50/50 or 55/45 in Marth's favor at worst.

Eureka

Smash Ace
He was charging a Smash attack. Might be a factor.
There were no factors, Sword of Seals sent that fox back into space.
In terms of what actually happened, it's basically the reverse Blazer from Melee, because Roy was at max rage the multiplier on Blazers already high base knockback was enough to instantly kill fox, who has a low weight.
Marth does not feel nearly as bad to play against as he's been described. Roy's main weakness in the matchup, in my opinion, is his recovery. I'd say it's about 50/50 or 55/45 in Marth's favor at worst.
I'd agree, while Marth has the advantage in neutral, Roy has plenty of tools to get through Marth's zone. And once he's in he can pressure Marth hard, and Marth isn't exactly good at forcing people back out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom