• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

RepedeFang09

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkraiBlue09
3DS FC
1461-7320-3630
Is there any group of Skype or Whatsapp for Roy community?​

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
HAS THIS BEEN DONE BEFORE!?

Cookie if you get the referance

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm pretty sure the Robin social thread has exploded with this news, but it has been confirmed that same-sex marriage will be in Fire Emblem Fates. The shipping will never end.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I'm pretty sure the Robin social thread has exploded with this news, but it has been confirmed that same-sex marriage will be in Fire Emblem Fates. The shipping will never end.
not sure why this is big news, but yes it is true and there are two same sex pairings I believe.

also you can make your entire army fight in boxers and swimsuits. This includes amiibos, I've never seen marth so dead inside

and incest is confirmed for the Japanese version. I really doubt any of that will make it past NoA

Eureka

Smash Ace
not sure why this is big news, but yes it is true and there are two same sex pairings I believe.

also you can make your entire army fight in boxers and swimsuits. This includes amiibos, I've never seen marth so dead inside

and incest is confirmed for the Japanese version. I really doubt any of that will make it past NoA
So, the boxers and swimsuit thing, can you explain that a bit more? I know it's common in JRPGs to have characters in underwear or swimsuits when they have no armor equipped. Is that what it is? Or is it just a silly cosmetic option? Also incest? Wat?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
HAS THIS BEEN DONE BEFORE!?

Cookie if you get the referance
Roy loving curry shall be my new headcanon~

Anyway, what's up Roy-boards! Sorry for the absence, it took me still some time to tap into Roy again. However, I finally learned to use him a way that makes me use his best tools moderately and with good reading. SH N-Air is amazing approaching tool, I tell ya.

Might now try learning grab combos as I seem to not use Roy's grabs despite doing pretty well now as him.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
So guys PM 3.6 Beta dropped last night and i got to say its amazing af. Roys nerfs are meh kinda. Cant really notice much.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
(A little off-topic but totally relevant at the same time) With the current leaks/releases of IF, I would just like to kindly request no one spoils anything here in consideration of others not wanting to be spoiled please. It's already hard enough to dodge on reddit and Twitter, but spoilers on Smashboads would suck too. Just, put a spoiler tag if you MUST discuss it. Thanks, guys, in advance.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
So, the boxers and swimsuit thing, can you explain that a bit more? I know it's common in JRPGs to have characters in underwear or swimsuits when they have no armor equipped. Is that what it is? Or is it just a silly cosmetic option? Also incest? Wat?
Firstly, I'm fairly certain it's a purely cosmetic thing. However, I don't have much information on it, so you'll have to find out as time progresses. But hey if they give me the choice to tell the idiots on my army to put on some real armor I'm chill with it.

Secondly, the definition of incest for those native to the USA is different than those located in japan. So simply put there are first cousin pairings and half sibling pairings. This is most likely to be removed by Nintendo's localization team (prob will be a real ***** for them to work on too). It happened actually in the last game as Lucina and Owain could be married in the Japanese version, but not in the English version. So this whole subject comes down to japan being really ****ing creepy

Eureka

Smash Ace
So this whole subject comes down to japan being really ****ing creepy
You know, I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I needed that spelled out for me. I'm sure there's plenty of things we do that Japan finds weird and creepy though. But I'd wager a guess that it's not nearly at the same level.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
You know, I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I needed that spelled out for me. I'm sure there's plenty of things we do that Japan finds weird and creepy though. But I'd wager a guess that it's not nearly at the same level.
We have furries, and bronies. (Only mean the fanatics for now, not regular fans) With their...
Cumjars... Ewww... Thecringe comps really showed horrible things to me...

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Yo, so Sakurai had this to say about Roy in a recent Famitsu column(translation courtesy of Source Gaming, thanks @PushDustIn)
Roy and Lucas appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl respectively, and Ryu is a completely new fighter. The characters differ not only in terms of the game they originate from, but also in personality and performance. They are oozing with their own individuality.
What left an impression on me when developing Roy was recording his lines. We used the same voice actor from Melee, Mr. Fukuyama. Even though it had been over 10 years, he remembered details from the recording session for Melee extremely well, such as the names for characters, and even the other actors! As a very popular voice actor who had done countless projects since then, I was very happy Smash left an impression on him.
All of these are very positive information about our Boy! :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Indeed. Another nail in the haters' coffin.

Yeah. I think it's about time we take up the post Sakurai left us and work even harder to develop Roy's metagame. I kinda got bummed already by very "comedic" depictions on Roy's return and people already think he lacks any dedicated fans showing what he reallly can do.

Last edited:
More detailed article, which I quote below and offer my thoughts on:
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/…/ryu-roy-and-lucas-joi…/

Brief article that sums it all up:
http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-sakurais-new-fa…/

My thoughts below, made lengthy by quoting the main article, summing up things, and overall just offering my thoughts:

"Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in development even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though."

Dang, still refreshing to know that they used a fair amount of ballot ideas on Roy, and that everything we put into him on the way will reinsure how good of a decision adding him was. There were no guarantees besides a glimmer of hope via sound files, so nonstop support was the best route at the time. Besides that, Roy in particular was one of the most popular veterans, with a lot more popularity than people give him credit for, which is incredibly refreshing to know.

"What left an impression on me when developing Roy was recording his lines. We used the same voice actor from Melee, Mr. Fukuyama. Even though it had been over 10 years, he remembered details from the recording session for Melee extremely well, such as the names for characters, and even the other actors! As a very popular voice actor who had done countless projects since then, I was very happy Smash left an impression on him."

Some really nice stuff on Roy's VA and good publicity for him. Jun was a nobody before Smash, and went on to become a legend after voicing Roy, which we've discussed a handful of times.

Other nice stuff on the characters:

"On June 15th, we launched an update for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.

But the main attractions are the new fighters. Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, Lucas from MOTHER 3, and Ryu from the Street Fighter series were all made available to play at the same time.

Roy and Lucas appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl respectively, and Ryu is a completely new fighter. The characters differ not only in terms of the game they originate from, but also in personality and performance. They are oozing with their own individuality."

We can use this for people who claim Roy has no character and originality.

Some stuff on Ryu:

"It really is amazing that Ryu is appearing in Smash. Personally, I was glad and excited to get to work on him. I’ve put my effort into all the small details as well. Ryu has made appearances many times outside of the Street Fighter series, so he’s probably exchanged blows with the highest amount of different types of popular characters. However, when you put him in Smash, you run into limitations based on the number of buttons and the control scheme.

He has the following unique characteristics:

The length you hold down the button affects his attacks
There are weak and strong attacks. It’s just like Fighting Street [1].

Command inputs
You can use his special attacks easily with just one button, but if you use the command input it’ll be even stronger. The risks of failure or missed inputs that result in unexpected attacks is all part of the fun.

Two people who worked on Street Fighter II, the music composer Yoko Shimomura and the illustrator AKIMAN were also involved. They each played a little bit of Ryu in Smash for Wii U/3DS. Mrs. Shimomura exclaimed “Even I can do a Shoryuken!” AKIMAN was shocked, saying “are you sure it’s okay to make performing a Shoryuken so easy?” Being able to use Shoryuken with just one button press might even feel fresh and new for Ryu."

I wish Lucas got more than brief mention, since there was a lot of gushing over Roy and Ryu, but no mention of how requested Lucas was or how loved Mother 3 is, even overseas. Hopefully this means Binding Blade and Mother 3 are hand-in-hand, and can both possibly see localizations or remakes.

Though, it seems there won't be many other characters. I'm honored that the one character I wanted in made it, I'm sad to know that we won't see too much more content, and I'm glad to know that we're probably going to get several characters before the ballot ends and several after.

"From now until the end, it is going to be fan service [2] , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters [3]. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.

There may be unforeseen circumstances that arise as well, but I’ll try my best!"

The three footnotes are mentioned in the more detailed article. Let's hope for the best from the ballot, any development until October, and any development after October.

Yeah. I think it's about time we take up the post Sakurai left us and work even harder to develop Roy's metagame. I kinda got bummed already by very "comedic" depictions on Roy's return and people already think he lacks any dedicated fans showing what he reallly can do.
What kinds of depictions are these? I'd like to see 'em. If we get skilled artists to vastly outnumber these depictions, that'll be a huge step. We need to find artists willing to create comics that will give Roy good publicity and at least show he's loved.

Gnes won a singles tournament with Roy after a few days, some other guys won a doubles tournament when one was primarily going Roy and the other going primarily Wario, and I learned about this days ago watching sets, so we have this in the bag. The Roys flooding For Glory, the Roys in offline tournaments and other online play, and the strangers flooding these boards are a testament to a lot of people at least wanting to play and learn him, even if it'll tame over time. Developing Roy's meta in sm4sh is definitely top priority, and even pushing more people to play him in Melee/PM helps as well. We got this.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I just read that article. I'm really glad Sakurai talks about Roy, Lucas, and Ryu's additions a little. Also, thank you based Fukuyama. If Roy's going to appear in future games, I hope Fukuyama will be his permanent VA (seriously love that guy). Even though it's been more than a decade, he still did an amazing job re-recording Roy's lines.

You should check on pixiv, there's a lot of heartwarming artwork on like Roy's return and stuff... and apparently Roy x Ryu x Lucas are popular pics. Like this one I really like:

source

I could just imagine something like:

:4ryu:: C'mon guys, we're almost in Smash 4! I can feel it!
:4feroy:: According to my soggy as **** map, not quite. Still have a long ways to go!
:4lucas:: Um, maybe we should find a place to rest for the night. It's pouring so hard...
:4ryu:: No resting. We need to run FASTER!!
:4mewtwo:: Losers... I can fly! *flies at super saiyan speed to Smash 4*

And that is why Mewtwo was the first DLC character released. Dude got to the fray faster than anyone! We can only hope that the future DLC fighters won't get lost on their way.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Yeah, I just read that article. I'm really glad Sakurai talks about Roy, Lucas, and Ryu's additions a little. Also, thank you based Fukuyama. If Roy's going to appear in future games, I hope Fukuyama will be his permanent VA (seriously love that guy). Even though it's been more than a decade, he still did an amazing job re-recording Roy's lines.

You should check on pixiv, there's a lot of heartwarming artwork on like Roy's return and stuff... and apparently Roy x Ryu x Lucas are popular pics. Like this one I really like:

source

I could just imagine something like:

:4ryu:: C'mon guys, we're almost in Smash 4! I can feel it!
:4feroy:: According to my soggy as **** map, not quite. Still have a long ways to go!
:4lucas:: Um, maybe we should find a place to rest for the night. It's pouring so hard...
:4ryu:: No resting. We need to run FASTER!!
:4mewtwo:: Losers... I can fly! *flies at super saiyan speed to Smash 4*

And that is why Mewtwo was the first DLC character released. Dude got to the fray faster than anyone! We can only hope that the future DLC fighters won't get lost on their way.
I need moooore of them...

Just got 100% of Roy's Classic wall while beating my previous Ike 9.0 score with Roy on 9.0.
Funny enough, I also unlocked Meta Knight's last custom special, with him being a partner to Ike and Marth in Brawl, which was referenced in his Sm4sh reveal screenshots.
Little Roy photobombs below Big Roy.

Eureka

Smash Ace

@ Croph Croph

Ya weren't joking, Pixiv really loves Roy more than whatever things I've seen the western side give to him.

Cultural differences, it seems.
I'm not surprised, considering that most westerners have literally zero experience with Roy and Lucas outside of Smash Brothers.

@ Croph Croph

Ya weren't joking, Pixiv really loves Roy more than whatever things I've seen the western side give to him.

Cultural differences, it seems.
I was about to say the links are broken, but they finally showed when I quoted the post. Weird... it's probably how much bandwidth I've been using today and how I've been using less in the last 10-15 minutes.

I'm not surprised, considering that most westerners have literally zero experience with Roy and Lucas outside of Smash Brothers.
Yet they treat Lucas like Jesus, and that him and Wolf like the only justifiable clones to return. I don't see people saying Mother 3 sucks, that it was a rehash of Mother 1, that nobody liked it, that Lucas is a bland character nobody likes or wants, that we don't need another Ness to make Mother's only representation semi-clones, etc. like they do for Roy. I've seen nobody complain about Lucas having the same Final Smash as Ness, while people made a big deal about Roy's Final Smash being a type of critical hit. Yet everyone looooooooooooves Lucas and there aren't comics or video animations putting him down with his return.

I don't know if I want to get into Wolf, because I do support his return, but there's so much more hypocrisy and double standards involved with him versus Roy than Lucas. At this point I'm pretty angry and honestly jealous of how hard of a road it's been and how difficult it continues to be. It's like no longer being trapped in a glass box only for it to break and to have to walk across a trail of all of its glass when finally being freed, and knowing that it may get worse after that trail.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was about to say the links are broken, but they finally showed when I quoted the post. Weird... it's probably how much bandwidth I've been using today and how I've been using less in the last 10-15 minutes.

Yet they treat Lucas like Jesus, and that him and Wolf like the only justifiable clones to return. I don't see people saying Mother 3 sucks, that it was a rehash of Mother 1, that nobody liked it, that Lucas is a bland character nobody likes or wants, that we don't need another Ness to make Mother's only representation semi-clones, etc. like they do for Roy. I've seen nobody complain about Lucas having the same Final Smash as Ness, while people made a big deal about Roy's Final Smash being a type of critical hit. Yet everyone looooooooooooves Lucas and there aren't comics or video animations putting him down with his return. I'm not sure if I should even go into Wolf.
Well, Mother-fanbase is clearly more loving and less criticizing of whatever it has than FE's fanbase. Especially western fanbase. I can't blame them though, the series a lot way compasses so much humanity and faith on it despite so much bad and misery happening in the world, and it seems to carry over Smash-fandom as well - So I'm just happy Mother-fanbase is overly pure and loving as it is, it's better than nothing.

Lucas also isn't easily subjected to controversial test of how much he stacks as a character based on his personality, power and also easily toxicfied popularity he has, considering the series' nature. There's just plenty different circumstances here.

But on point, in Pixiv there's little to no fanart that puts Roy down - the ones beloving and showing his badass return is more prominent and in big numbers instead:

It's clearly a cultural difference thing, so I think Roy not having fans or being glad for his return and he is everything what his vocal haters is not objectively true in any means. It just proves that people have different taste, and in this case, it seems Japanese + Western fanbase of Roy won over the haters overall.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Yet they treat Lucas like Jesus, and that him and Wolf like the only justifiable clones to return. I don't see people saying Mother 3 sucks, that it was a rehash of Mother 1, that nobody liked it, that Lucas is a bland character nobody likes or wants, that we don't need another Ness to make Mother's only representation semi-clones, etc. like they do for Roy. I've seen nobody complain about Lucas having the same Final Smash as Ness, while people made a big deal about Roy's Final Smash being a type of critical hit. Yet everyone looooooooooooves Lucas and there aren't comics or video animations putting him down with his return. I'm not sure if I should even go into Wolf.
You make a lot of points, but as a converted Roy hater, I'll try to explain. First, Lucas and Wolf where semi-clones, and very distinct ones at that. While Nintendo was obviously going to declone Roy if he got in, people who weren't Roy fans only image of the character was as "that inferior fire Marth from Melee". And in terms of their games, Earthbound/Mother 2 made it out of Japan, Binding Blade or any Fire Emblem game before it didn't. So a lot of Earthbound fans have an attachment to the series they want to see the next chapter off. I'll admit, I've not seen much hate of Binding Blade, but if it's out there it's stupid. Finally, what's probably the biggest difference is that there are a significant amount of Smash 4 players that have played Brawl, but not Melee. While at the same time, most of the people who started in Melee have played Brawl at least to some extent. So because of this, everyone knows the value of adding Lucas in, but many people (including myself at one point) didn't see the point of adding in Roy, so they came up with dumb excuses like the Final Smash bs. The people who still hate Roy now after proving himself as a worthy addition to Smash 4 should really shut up though. And I hate to say it but the Roy jokes are just so easy. Roy and Roy, fire Marth, his overall obscurity, there's just more stuff to poke fun at with Roy than Lucas. Most of what I've seen is good natured fun rather than being hateful towards the character though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom