• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Impressions Thread

Thoughts on Roy?

• Love him!

Votes: 75 67.6%
  • Like him!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • OK... He could be better...

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Don't like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Way too early to tell. He has good mobility and kill setups, but suffers from an awful recovery. I could see him in low A/high B.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I agree about Flare Blade's hitbox. I find shield breaker a little more preferable personally. I talk about it in my impressions video, I guess I'll just link that. But yeah - shieldbreaker has much more utility I think.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So glad he's been Luigified. Now people can finally stop complaining about him.
Actually, now people who complained about him will get themselved seared in hellfire. :4feroy:

In a more serious note, I've seen people warm up to Roy more after seeing him. It's very relieving.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mentioned this in another thread but anyone that's still calling him a clone (as he's clearly a semi-clone) is either misinformed or just flat out ignorant. Half of his moveset is different and the other half has noticeable, unique differences despite having the same animations.

If your bent on calling :4feroy:a clone, then :4tlink:,:4ganondorf:, and :4falco:are even more clone-ish then he is.

Last edited:

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
It's still surreal to me that Roy is back. Totally surreal. I still can't believe it. The countless hours I've put into making Marth a viable character have not gone to waste, we now have a character who will be much more viable than Marth probably ever will be. I'm so happy. I can't quit reading these boards, there's so much to take in.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I wouldn't say Luigified as much as I'd say Ganonfied. He still has a number of moves that are similar to Marth, but has his fair share of unique stuff as well (his Normal B, some of his normals, etc.).

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Dat PM-esque up tilt animation. You know they played that.
tfw no one remembers Thany made the original animation.

But who's saying they didn't just think about it when they came up with the whole reverse grip thing?

2Fat4U

Smash Rookie
Roy's short hop Nair is a pretty good approach against people with a more offensive playstyle. It's also a very good spacing tool

2Fat4U

Smash Rookie
I can't wair to see Roy and the other new dlc character compete in tournaments. Obviously they will be banned for evo, but are there any other majors coming up.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't say Luigified as much as I'd say Ganonfied. He still has a number of moves that are similar to Marth, but has his fair share of unique stuff as well (his Normal B, some of his normals, etc.).
He's just as decloned as Ganondorf and Falco are. I counted all the differences and all 3 characters have 9 differences from their originators. As for Luigi, he has 10-11 different moves so it's really not that far off so we can consider him as well as Falco & Dorf to be Luigi-fied.

Here's a complete list of all the differences they have...

Ganondorf

- Different Jab
- Different U-Tilt
- Different F-Tilt
- Different D-Tilt
- Different F-Air
- Different Up Smash
- Different Neutral B
- Different Side B
- Different Up B

Falco

- Different Jab
- Different Fury Strikes
- Different U-Tilt
- Different D-Tilt
- Different Side Smash
- Different F-Air
- Different N-Air
- Different Neutral B
- Different Down B

Roy

- Different Jab
- Different F-Tilt
- Different U-Tilt
- Different Side Smash
- Different Dash Attack
- Different D-Air
- Different Neutral B
- Different Up B
- Different Down B

So yeah, all 3 characters have half their moveset different from their originators. Even some of their shared moves are a lot different (i.e. Roy's Up Smash, Falco's D-Air, Ganondorf's D-Air).

Last edited:

~Daniee

Smash Rookie
NNID
YarsNinjaLink
3DS FC
2252-6622-6339
I was smashing the lab with Roy and I noticed that after you turn around out of a dash (:GCL:Dash Left-:GCR:Dash Right) or (:GCR:Dash Right-:GCL:Dash Left)
He would be significantly slower. I tested to see if any other characters have this property and they don't.

I timed it to see the difference and Roy crossed FD in roughly 1.70 seconds, after the turnaround dash he crossed FD in roughly 2.34 seconds.

If this changes anything, I was playing on the 3DS version.

Cathulhu

Smash Rookie
That's strange, he is definitely slower when he does the dash turnaround animation. If you release the joystick before pushing in the opposite direction (instead of going straight from left to right, letting it rest in the middle for a tiny bit), he moves just as fast as normal however.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Roy's Uair and Fair are also visually different from marth too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Instantly became my new main.

Also loving the changes made to :4feroy:. Now he's on the same level of being decloned as :4falco:and:4ganondorf:.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this labbing too. I don't think it makes a difference, you can just let go of the joystick as @ C Cathulhu said above me. Of course, it's an inconvenience, but it can also be used for interesting movement options.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
A bit new to using Roy, but after playing as him, I like him a lot. He's really great and fun to use especially after how I despised how Marth was nerfed in this game. Is there any general advice or tip and tricks to use with this version of Roy for success?

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Just look at the other threads. We talk about how we use him. Send this to the Q&A thread and people will answer your question

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm really liking Roy. No other character in the game fits as much as he does with my playstyle. I like to rush down and kill you before you even get a chance to think, and Roy's mechanics reward this style immensely. He's the first character I feel I actually get. No other fighter feels this way when I'm controlling them.

I-I think I'm in love ;~;

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Just look at the other threads. We talk about how we use him. Send this to the Q&A thread and people will answer your question
Exactly this. We're all learning how to use him together. I don't reckon there's any sort of consensus or agreement on how this character "should" be played quite yet.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
He's just as decloned as Ganondorf and Falco are. I counted all the differences and all 3 characters have 9 differences from their originators. As for Luigi, he has 10-11 different moves so it's really not that far off so we can consider him as well as Falco & Dorf to be Luigi-fied.

Here's a complete list of all the differences they have...

Ganondorf

- Different Jab
- Different U-Tilt
- Different F-Tilt
- Different D-Tilt
- Different F-Air
- Different Up Smash
- Different Neutral B
- Different Side B
- Different Up B

Falco

- Different Jab
- Different Fury Strikes
- Different U-Tilt
- Different D-Tilt
- Different Side Smash
- Different F-Air
- Different N-Air
- Different Neutral B
- Different Down B

Roy

- Different Jab
- Different F-Tilt
- Different U-Tilt
- Different Side Smash
- Different Dash Attack
- Different D-Air
- Different Neutral B
- Different Up B
- Different Down B

So yeah, all 3 characters have half their moveset different from their originators. Even some of their shared moves are a lot different (i.e. Roy's Up Smash, Falco's D-Air, Ganondorf's D-Air).
I'm gonna have to disagree with up B and down B, they are still very much Marth-esque

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
...Any way to close this thread? I didn't realize there was a Q&A.
Haha it's alright. I think we need a mod to do that. But don't take my word for it.
Exactly this. We're all learning how to use him together. I don't reckon there's any sort of consensus or agreement on how this character "should" be played quite yet.
I agree so much. I don't think there is a "right way" to play him. I'm figuring that out my self. Going from an aggressive play style to a one based on reads and spacing my moves. I'm kinda leaning towards the aggressive one tho

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
...Any way to close this thread? I didn't realize there was a Q&A.
Just let it go inactive. Anyone who reads through it shouldn't bump it any more.

If it's a concern though, you can just ask a mod to close it for you.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm gonna have to disagree with up B and down B, they are still very much Marth-esque
His Blazer operates in a completely different manner than the Dolphin Slash that includes having a different animation along with the attack being angled differently.

His Counter also has a different animation along with an added fire effect making it more unique than Ike's Counter. It's enough to consider it a difference from Marth.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
His Blazer operates in a completely different manner than the Dolphin Slash that includes having a different animation along with the attack being angled differently.

His Counter also has a different animation along with an added fire effect making it more unique than Ike's Counter. It's enough to consider it a difference from Marth.
Up B still looks like dolphin slash + fire to me although I think it's actually multi-hit so I'll give you that

Down B not so much though

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Up B still looks like dolphin slash + fire to me although I think it's actually multi-hit so I'll give you that

Down B not so much though
Yeah, it has the ability to be angled, doesn't go as far up as the Dolphin Slash, and has fire properties that makes it unique.

As for the counter, almost like half the roster has a counter move so it's not really fair to say that his counter is a cloned move when it's animation, knockback/damage, and visual effects are different.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah, it has the ability to be angled, doesn't go as far up as the Dolphin Slash, and has fire properties that makes it unique.

As for the counter, almost like half the roster has a counter move so it's not really fair to say that his counter is a cloned move when it's animation, knockback/damage, and visual effects are different.
Although Roy's counter feels just like Marth and Ike's whereas characters like Shulk, Greninja and Lucario feel and look different due to the way they are executed which moves them rather than staying still

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Although Roy's counter feels just like Marth and Ike's whereas characters like Shulk, Greninja and Lucario feel and look different due to the way they are executed which moves them rather than staying still
True though like I said before, the animation is different and he has unique fire properties to make it distinguishable. More so than all the other FE characters.

Personally, I don't even think Ike's counter is a clone of Marth's as well seeing as his animation is different at well. The only character with a cloned Counter from Marth is Lucina really.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
True though like I said before, the animation is different and he has unique fire properties to make it distinguishable. More so than all the other FE characters.

Personally, I don't even think Ike's counter is a clone of Marth's as well seeing as his animation is different at well. The only character with a cloned Counter from Marth is Lucina really.
It's still a similar move in execution though, you can change an animation but it's still the same move

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Honestly I think Roy has one of the best Up Bs in the entire game, but honestly his recovery feels even worse than Ganondorf's. Without any horizontal option (as far as I know) not only is his recovery predictable, but really easy to intercept, even with out that armor. I honestly feel really uncomfortable going off stage with Roy, because even his vertical distances can be pitiful if you angle the Up B wrong. Any tips? I am really liking Roy, and I feel this is the only thing holding the character back.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Actually, his Up B does have some horizontal distance. just press Forward after you press Up B.
The issue is more getting close enough to the ledge without getting gimped, and if you go to deep for recovery you have no shot of making it back when edge guarding.

Last edited:

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think Roy has one of the best Up Bs in the entire game, but honestly his recovery feels even worse than Ganondorf's. Without any horizontal option (as far as I know) not only is his recovery predictable, but really easy to intercept, even with out that armor. I honestly feel really uncomfortable going off stage with Roy, because even his vertical distances can be pitiful if you angle the Up B wrong. Any tips? I am really liking Roy, and I feel this is the only thing holding the character back.
Save your jump, Air dodge, and up b horizontal or vertical depending on the situation. My friend mains sheik so I'm getting gimped from time to time but not as much as I thought. His recovery is his worse attribute imo but its not that bad.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Save your jump, Air dodge, and up b horizontal or vertical depending on the situation. My friend mains sheik so I'm getting gimped from time to time but not as much as I thought. His recovery is his worse attribute imo but its not that bad.
Yeah, the airdodge mechanics alone make it so recovering with Roy in this game is less arduous than it used to be.

The only time I've had trouble recovering so far is when I've been knocked out of my double jump.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's still a similar move in execution though, you can change an animation but it's still the same move
It's not though. Roy's does more damage and knockback, has a different animation, and has different visual effects.

It's a lot more unique then say Little Mac's Counter.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you have to recover from max distance, you're probably dead since its easy to hit Roy out of his Up B. But his horizontal distance is amazing at conserving your 2nd jump to recover or mind gaming with either a instant recovery or stall to bait the instant recovery punish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom