• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Impressions Thread

Thoughts on Roy?

• Love him!

Votes: 75 67.6%
  • Like him!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • OK... He could be better...

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Don't like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find :4feroy: to be his best secondary.

I theorized that Roy in this game would **** up Rosalina and do okay against Sheik, and so far Rosalina has been one of my easier MU's, but I'm unsure who would be a better secondary for Rosalina or even Sheik. Maybe :4lucario: for Sheik and learn the Rosalina MU better. Usmash and dsmash destroy floaties in many beautiful ways and have done so since Melee, they should get ridiculous mileage against Rosalina.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Mid tier. He likely has bad matchups against most of the top tiers. At least he is not garbage like Lucina and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You'd have to convince me that any of those is all that bad for Roy.... Especially since he has like a ~30% Killpower advantage on them.

I was thinking Rosa would be harder than she actually is. Literally almost every move Roy has can desync/kill Luma. Pretty big equalizer

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
He might be able to be in top 20, but with they way the match up thread is talking about him he might as well be C-. I personally feel like :4zss: isn't that difficult of a MU for him, but everyone else in top/high tier do pose a bit of a problem. Maybe I'm just being a bit too optimistic.

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
Lmao, Roy is number 2 right now on that stupid eventhubs tier list. I laughed out loud.
Oh I know, I saw that too, that entire tier list is completely chaotic. The idea of Yoshi and Roy being above Shiek absolutely baffles me (arguably Rosalina too), and so does a lot of the placements below it. This is why I follow the tier list outside of eventhubs.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
Oh I know, I saw that too, that entire tier list is completely chaotic. The idea of Yoshi and Roy being above Shiek absolutely baffles me (arguably Rosalina too), and so does a lot of the placements below it. This is why I follow the tier list outside of eventhubs.
I actually think Rosalina is probably better than Sheik by some amount.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I think it's kinda hilarious that this is still in the game. They must have gone out of their way to put it in.

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
I've played most of the roster extensively, looked everywhere for a main, couldn't find one. I kept going through cycles of picking up a new char, learning everything about it, getting really good, and then dropping it because I just wasn't feeling it.
Of all the chars, Ganon really stood out to me, due to his ability to get opponents to kill % in just a few hits, and kill off a single read. I mained him for the longest of all chars and managed to hold my own even in tourneys, but it really started to show that I was losing matches due to MUs rather than skill. I eventually switched to CF, and while he's a lot better allround and certainly not lacking in power, he's just not the same, and doesn't feel right to me. I also thoroughly enjoyed Lucina, but more so for the moveset. Would've picked up Marth, but after playing around with him some, I realized it's not worth it with how stupidly precise the tip hitbox is (especially with how you don't get the bonus if you hit with anything but the tipbox). After that it rather quickly devolved into the aforementioned picking up a new char, getting good, and switching again.

Then Roy came along, I checked him out with very low expectations (because mewtwo was pretty much unchanged from melee as well), and it just clicked. He feels so perfect to me, dances around fluidly stringing moves together like it's nothing, while hitting like a truck in the process. After playing him almost exclusively for a week now, I finally managed to put my finger on what exactly feels so good about him.

I've thought about Ganon alts on several occasions. Ganon still has his melee moveset, but changing it wouldn't be the best way to go, as I (and many others) really like the moveset as it is. An alt would work just fine, and the question is more so who than how. There's pig/beast Ganon, the Toon version to match Toon Link, his hyrule warriors version, etc... But those are all taken from existing lore.
One version that never occurred to me, is young Ganon. There's no lore (none I can find at least, besides him being raised in a desert) on Ganon's younger days, so it's kinda up for grabs what he'd be like. But it's not too difficult to imagine what he could be like in his physical prime; lightning quick, skilled with a sword, and already radiating with power.

It just occurred to me while playing Roy, and everything checks out; he feels like he could be Ganon at a younger age. If young Ganon were added instead of Roy, it could've been literally the current Roy with a different char model, and it would work perfectly (disregarding the obvious similarities to marth's moveset). Roy is the Ganon alt I've been waiting for. All he needs now is the koopaling treatment, with a Young Ganondorf skin alt.

Last edited:

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
Oh man, you are a trooper; I usually give up when I type something and it erases on me lol.

1. It does seem much quicker in the air. I definitely see some potential, although I have trouble performing the DED online 100% of the time. My online is relatively smooth, but just choppy enough to mess up my rhythm with that attack.

2. Yeah, I guess I'm going to practice in training mode at slow speed and see if I can figure out the timing. I think I might be spacing out the attacks by just a few frames, but enough for people to escape my would-be combo.

3. Sounds like a good strategy; I really need to grab more. I don't shield, roll, or grab if I can help it. It's just a bad habit of mine from Melee, where I could more easily get away with it.

Hmm, idk if it will help you against shield-grabs, but my basic aggressive strategy is this: Depending on the opposing character, I either run in with a dash attack or Fair. 90% of the time, it will either hit them or they will try to roll behind me. So, since Roy's fast enough, I immediately turn around and attack as they come out of the roll. Sometimes I just run in without attacking and anticipate the roll. I forget what it's called, but when you're dashing, you only tap the opposite direction and can immediately attack. I've hit a lot of people with Roy's Fsmash that way.

If your opponent shields a lot, I've found that hitting them with the 4th lower slash of the DED (the multi-hit) usually does well against that type of behavior. Also, I've been using the jab more when they shield my initial rush attack. That's just my experience anyway, but I am far from an expert; My playstyle with Roy is still evolving!

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I despise her too, she hasn't been relevant since 1998. Still one of my secondaries though.
sheik's "achievements" should be linked to those of Zelda. they were meant to be the same character (just as separate fighters) and shouldn't be considered separately, even if in smash 4 they are separated for gameplay reasons and because 3ds is too weak.

nonetheless ocarina of time had a remake and she had a decently big role in hyrule warriors too (which was an actual high-profile spin-off, unlike, say, Mario Golf) so that only holds for Brawl. kinda.

anyways, i only despise her for what she is in this game. a very stupid character whose intended weaknesses are reliably fixed with random items allowed effectively making her a character that was purposefully designed with no big weaknesses. Not as bad as Brawl MK but still...

GenG

Smash Lord
I can see Roy being high mid or low high, but not top 10. He is fast, puts intense pressure, cheap throws which lead to combos and frametraps, has the potential to score kills early and apparently consistent hit confirms to KO at 120% or so. He, however, is lacking in the offstage game, lacks a projectile to condition opponents and doesn't handle pressure well apart from FF options. And since competitive Smash matches are being decided in the offstage game right now, he has a severe handicap.

Last edited:

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Aerial DED has some really nice properties, the first being that you can grab someone out of the air with the full combo and the second being that it's so bloody quick! I use it a lot like you'd use it aerially in Melee- just prevent the opponent from doing something without having to commit.

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
I can see Roy being high mid or low high, but not top 10. He is fast, puts intense pressure, cheap throws which lead to combos and frametraps, has the potential to score kills early and apparently consistent hit confirms to KO at 120% or so. He, however, is lacking in the offstage game, lacks a projectile to condition opponents and doesn't handle pressure well apart from FF options. And since competitive Smash matches are being decided in the offstage game right now, he has a severe handicap.
This is very true. Although I think the offstage game is a bit debatable considering the fact that if he does edgeguard the opponent and he does land that back aerial on you off stage (especially with rage on), it's going to hurt. While it may not be as easy as other characters, from what I've seen watching other people play Roy and from my own experiences that's usually what results assuming edgeguarding is pulled off.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
Is there any point in keeping Lucina as one of my secondaries if I purchase Roy? Sooner or later I was going to pick up Roy but both him and Lucina moveset are based off Marth and I rather use one or the other.

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
Honestly speaking they should of just brought back Roy to begin with and kept Lucina as a costume if they weren't going to make more changes to her when compared to Marth. Making her slightly shorter and removing the tip sweet spot isn't really enough to justify another character, but that's just me. If you're already using Marth and Lucina, I'd say just stick with Marth and Roy, because as far as I'm concerned Marth is still better than Lucina (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

Tantei

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedSouji
3DS FC
1375-7405-0216
Never know man, too early to tell. I have hope, since Zero is still testing him out and said he would add him to his tournament characters.
Who knows though.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Ah, I never played Melee too seriously so I didn't know about that. I've also been told he has this in PM as well though.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Roy is Solidly Above Average, I'd put him between 15th and 25th on the tier list with confidence. He remains beneath top tiers because a majority of his moves in neutral are unsafe on shield despite their fantastic damage output, and the best position he can play in is a defensive footsies range, where he loses to every other sword-wielder in the game (maybe not MetaKnight due to range) because of the weak hitbox at the hilt.
Once he gets in and gets a grab however the opponent is taking 30~% easily from D-Throw combos and F-Throw tech chases, maybe B-Throw platform chases as well.
He lives off of his Tomahawk Grab game which is beaten by just getting out of range. Burst mobility options decimate him.

I also think he has trouble killing without a read or Punish, D-Throw to Blazer is not a true combo. Most of his kills come from Blazer OoS, especially because his Offstage game is lacking. He's like Cpt. Falcon with a sword but Falcon plays in mid-range in a neutral or advantageous state, while Roy plays at a neutral or disadvantaged state taking away his top/high tier placing.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Roy is Solidly Above Average, I'd put him between 15th and 25th on the tier list with confidence. He remains beneath top tiers because a majority of his moves in neutral are unsafe on shield despite their fantastic damage output, and the best position he can play in is a defensive footsies range, where he loses to every other sword-wielder in the game (maybe not MetaKnight due to range) because of the weak hitbox at the hilt.
Once he gets in and gets a grab however the opponent is taking 30~% easily from D-Throw combos and F-Throw tech chases, maybe B-Throw platform chases as well.
He lives off of his Tomahawk Grab game which is beaten by just getting out of range. Burst mobility options decimate him.

I also think he has trouble killing without a read or Punish, D-Throw to Blazer is not a true combo. Most of his kills come from Blazer OoS, especially because his Offstage game is lacking. He's like Cpt. Falcon with a sword but Falcon plays in mid-range in a neutral or advantageous state, while Roy plays at a neutral or disadvantaged state taking away his top/high tier placing.
Far more realistic. Putting him above Sonic is just ridiculous.

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
I wouldn't say it's entirely ridiculous. Yes Sonic does have a speed advantage, great throw combos, etc. But Roy has the advantage of counters and attacking range. Really it's going to come down to tourney results in the end.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say it's entirely ridiculous. Yes Sonic does have a speed advantage, great throw combos, etc. But Roy has the advantage of counters and attacking range. Really it's going to come down to tourney results in the end.
It's entirely ridiculous
Roy is not better than a character who literally breaks the neutral game, Sonic is super safe while having decent kill setups and Roy is unsafe with heavy kill power but no kill setups. Roy can only kill onstage, beside Ledge trump B-air and maybe stage striking with blazer.

The fact of the matter is that the position that Roy is best at, is not safe for him. he has great footsies, but they're not safe, safety makes a great character, not mere reward.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
No point in keeping Lucina as a secondary anyway tbh. She's just Marth minus his best quality. The tipper is what gives Marth his KO power and versatility.

Anyway, Roy is a lot better and more unique. He barely even feels like Marth.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
He'll probably be nerfed unjustly. That's my prediction. There are too many people whining about him already. Plus, he's popular and Zer0 said he was top-tier. (Or so I've heard...) His neutral b is the single strongest move in the game in terms of damage and knockback, but it has little to no end-lag and people complain about that a lot. (The impossibility of actually hitting with it fully-charged seems to elude most people.)

He's above-average for sure. Beyond that, it's hard to say.

Last edited:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Hi Samus main, and I've been checking out Roy as a possible secondary, and wanted to know what some more seasoned players think of Roy's potential? I know he hasn't been out long, but my Wii U is getting fixed for some bug issues with the eSHop, and I haven't been able to test him at all yet, so I figured the Roy boards would have some nice insight.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Lucina really is straight up worse than Marth. Marth is plenty different from Roy if you ask me, though I think they tend to have similar matchup spreads except vs most top tiers where Roy does better. I don't think Marth really covers Roy's weaker matchups that well. Keep one imo.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I would say that compared to Marth, the one advantage Lucina has over Marth is that you don't have to worry about precision spacing. This is also true of Roy, but with the added rewards of combos and earlier kills. If it were me, I'd just make the switch to Roy and forget about Lucina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom