• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Impressions Thread

Thoughts on Roy?

• Love him!

Votes: 75 67.6%
  • Like him!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • OK... He could be better...

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Don't like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Yeah if you save your double jump you will generally be fine recovery-wise unless you're fighting Rosalina, Sheik, or Sonic (which is the same for most characters in this game).

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Actually, now people who complained about him will get themselved seared in hellfire. :4feroy:

In a more serious note, I've seen people warm up to Roy more after seeing him. It's very relieving.
I'm very happy to see them warm up to Roy. It feels so good to see less people argue about him.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Honestly I think Roy has one of the best Up Bs in the entire game, but honestly his recovery feels even worse than Ganondorf's. Without any horizontal option (as far as I know) not only is his recovery predictable, but really easy to intercept, even with out that armor. I honestly feel really uncomfortable going off stage with Roy, because even his vertical distances can be pitiful if you angle the Up B wrong. Any tips? I am really liking Roy, and I feel this is the only thing holding the character back.
I find it pretty good for combos. It's better in recovering than in Melee but still not great.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
When I turn, I usually block while running, let go, and change direction.

smesty

Smash Cadet
I have always had issues in Smash issuing Ftilts. I always end up Fsmashing or dash attacking.

Could a tilt stick be justified for Roy? What do you guys use?

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I use the tilt stick for all characters I play. I find it much easier to space and control my aerials, especially Nairs thanks to the diagonal input on the C-Stick.

I occasionally mess up my F-Smash inputs using :GCA: + :GCR:/:GCL:, but at least Roy's F-Tilt and Dash Attack also kill at reasonable %s so messing up the input isn't as bad as it is for some other characters.

Last edited:

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
Honestly, Roy's moves and movement speeds are faster, so dancing around Ike, especially in the air, won't be a problem. When doing Dthrow combos, you can read the Nair and either shield and regrab or Counter. Because Ike has a limited pool of fast moves, and because Roy is just as powerful, if not more powerful (in terms of kill power), Ike shouldn't be a problem. Marth, because of his zoning style, is more of a threat.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Matchup thread?

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Hi i've been playing Roy since his release, and now is my main because i feel good with him. But there's many hard MUs that i can't face off with him like Sheik or Rosalina, and i want to have a pocket character to face against bad characters for Roy, any tips?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Don't pursue Ike off stage, it can lead to us getting hit by Quick Draw or worse, Aether's Meteor Spike. Instead, wait his recovery out and go for the ledge trump. Use the ledge trump to go for the Flare Blade when Ike regrabs the ledge.

Ike's also somewhat heavy, meaning our Dthrow/Fthrow combos work well even past potential KO % (in terms of Fsmash, that is.).

For this MU, we need to play a bit defensively. If we rush in, Ike will take advantage of our endlag and punish. If we can wait him out, then he will be the one using laggy attacks, which we can take full advantage of. A flowchart for this MU is something like this for me
  1. Retreating Nair/Fair to bait Ike's approach
  2. Rush in after a move and go for the throw
  3. Proceed to throw combo him to death%
  4. Punish his attacks with a Ftilt/Fsmash Sweetspotted. If he is still alive, go for the ledge trump
  5. Flare Blade the ledge regrab
  6. Dance around with SHFF Nair until invincibility wears off, then start back at Step 1

DiscoingGD

Smash Rookie
I'm so happy Roy's back! I'm still getting used his shorter sword range (Damn reverse grip jab), but I'm loving his fighting style. Coming from Melee, I like my characters to have a quick, aggressive pace, but still hit with some authority. In the new Smash, Falcon was the only one that I felt had that potential, but I'm so used to swordsmen that I had trouble using the Captain.

Anyway, here's a few things I noticed that I haven't read about elsewhere:

1. I tried to do only the first swing of the DED and then an Fsmash (Effective with Melee Marth), but I noticed a huge delay if you only do the first swing. Is there any way around that, or do you have to commit to the Dance once you start it?

2. I thought Dthrow to Up B was supposed to be unstoppable. Am I doing it wrong, because I've had a few people able to dodge the Up B, even at low percentages.

3. I usually just run in at people, especially with Roy, but once in a while I take a step back and let them initiate: What are some baits you guys use? My new favorite is Neutral B, followed by a surprisingly quick Fsmash. Seems like no one online sees it coming.

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
Server maintenance made me type this twice... fml

1. As far as I know right now, DED has a decent chunk of cooldown lag. However, both Marth's DB and Roy's DED are faster when used in the air. Marth's floaty butt could short hop it into another aerial, but Roy's too heavy/manly for that. An idea though would be to use the first DED high in the air, or even offstage; follow it up with an aerial, up tilt, up B, etc (I haven't gotten anything to true combo in training mode though). Other than that, I would just go for all 4 hits.

2. It IS a true combo, but I'm guessing only at certain percents/characters/DI, because like you i've experienced people getting out. Someone should do testing on that (perhaps me lol).

3. I also like using neutral B. Its cooldown time is so stupid good, and it's funny when people get hit with it. I also like to use foxtrot dash-dancing (>, ><, <>, ><, so on) to look for a grab. Both Marth and Roy's dash-dance are really good; I'd recommend anyone playing either character to use it often.

Screw defense for a second, though. I have trouble taking the offensive! maybe its because I mained Marth :/. I find myself getting my nairs shield-grabbed a lot... any tips on offensive play?

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
Way too early to tell. He has good mobility and kill setups, but suffers from an awful recovery. I could see him in low A/high B.
Roy's recovery is not AWFUL. It is OK, while it's not the best it gets the job done. And if his recovery was just as good as Marth's he would be a bit OP.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
As a previous Marcina main, i can predict he will surpass both of them, however i feel like as meta game develops for ryu, ryu will be at the top in front of roy, only because nobody knows how to use ryu, i do think roy is more versatile than lucas and predict upper B tier or Lower A

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Well i don't know if this helps but since I was a marcina main before Lucina still works well in addition to him against faster characters. I don't know how to deal with good rosalinas, but against shiek here are a few of my secondaries which tend to work well.
:4pacman: can dictate the pace of the match and even zone shiek falcon and other rush downs
:4sheik: will work well against rosalina but shes hard to pick up and requires a certain mentality to use effectively
:4falco: with his buffs i think he now has a better matchup on both of them.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
He's pretty decent but not top or high tier tbh, maybe the last in the high tier, but I personally feel right now it's more suitable in upper mid tier.

He has some pretty bad matchups. has bad recovery. and lacks kill set ups. Dthrow to up b isn't a true combo at all @Sora66

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Long Live Lucas! Blaze with Joy for Roy!
And while you're at it... Let's get Sakurai to finish the job!

Wolf
The leader of the rival team: Star Wolf is looking more likely every day! But every supporter counts. :3 http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/page-128
Ice Climbers
These two kids had some trouble working on the 3Ds version, but with the proper adjustments, I believe that SoPo won't be the only way they can rejoin the fight. Let's support a fellow veteran in their darkest hour!
http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...ion-thread-under-new-ownership.324176/page-71
Squirtle
This Pokémon was most likely worked on before, and maybe even after Charizard's reveal. Popularity was the only thing keeping him out then, and it's the only thing keeping him out now. He needs your support now more than ever! http://smashboards.com/threads/squi...-squirtle-in-the-fighter-ballot.380462/page-2
Ivysaur
Ivysaur was cut along side Squirtle because Charizard was more popular. Ivysaur is going to need your help so he can join Squirtle and Charizard back into the fray with a shiny new Down Special!
http://smashboards.com/threads/ivys...-the-smash-ballot.386368/page-6#post-19460373
Snake
Most people think Snake can't get in because he is owned by a third party company that isn't doing well, and that de wouldn't fit the cartooney style of Super Smash Bros. for the 3Ds/Wii U. It's time to show them how wrong they are, and with enough support, anything can happen!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-solid-snake-for-smash-dlc-thread-new-revamped-op.324205/page-174
Young Link
Young Link was cut back in Brawl, supposedly replaced by Toon Link. It's time to show everyone how different Young Link can be from Toon Link. The dawn of the third day is upon us. This is Young Link's last chance!
http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn...hope-for-moveset-changes-rises.324215/page-12
Pichu
This poor Pokémon has been the center of hate for years. Not only was he a Pikachu clone, but he hurt himself when using an electric attack. But now that Sakurai has shown us that he is willing to put work into the clone veterans, Pichu has a chance to become something better, and more unique. All he needs is the support!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-cute-baby-pokémon-the-melee-underdog-pichu-for-dlc-discussion-under-new-ownership-vote-now.324198/page-14
Now is our time! Let's get our veterans Back!

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
I wanted to ask a question about Double-Edge Dance,

If there's anything I remember from Melee it's that it was one of Roy's best attacks from that game. I noticed after using him for several days that it behaves a lot differently in this game than it did in Melee (flame being on the 4th hit, different final attacks, etc). Also if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong because its been awhile, but I could of sworn I could also combo out of Double-Edge Dance, but it doesn't seem like I can do that anymore with Smash 4.

With all the above being said I also find that whenever I try to use this attack (especially in online play) I constantly get punished for trying to execute it. Either A they block all the hits and I'm dashed or grabbed, or B I never get to hit the target and it almost seems as if I over assume that it'll catch my target, so what results is it leaves me wide open for my opponent to come in and punish me.

It's not that I don't know how to use the attack itself, I learned from trial and error that the best overall combination are these two:

1)
:GCR:->:GCR:->:GCU:->:GCR:
2)
:GCR:->:GCR:->:GCR:->:GCD:

My question is how do I use Double-Edge dance in a way where I'm not going to be punished in a match and it'll help me? Also are there follow ups that I can use with it or before it?

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
You can use it to replace a jab while you're in the middle of your run animation. This is useful when you're running one direction, and you suddenly DED the other direction.

In Melee, you could only do this out of a dash animation (if I'm remembering correctly) but in this game, I think it's best done out of a run animation.

In Sm4sh though, once you start it, you basically have to commit, or stop mid-way and hope they don't punish.

Try experimenting with the full downwards variation >vvv to poke at your opponents' feet once their shield starts to diminish. If you hit their shield, you should also try timing it so that you can input the next attack as late as possible. It can mess with their timing and make them think they can punish, or if they hold shield, it'll at least drain it a bit more.

This is all theoretical though, but give it a swing? Or 4?

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
As a taunt. Or to close some distance when they're out of reach of your jab/tilts

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
We can chain into it from an Fthrow at mid percent range. A foxtrot into DED is more reliable than a dash attack (the other followup) since it allows us to follow up the initial hit faster than a dash attack.

Pivot dtilts with the cstick set on attack are sexy.

I learned to dtilt and reverse dtilt out of pivot/pp without the cstick on attack since I like it on smashes, but it's a lot easier with cstick on attack.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I can't survive w/o my c-stick set to smashes. I just force my hands to learn the difference between tilts and manual smashes.

Hyjacked

Smash Rookie
Everyone's going on about how great of a character Roy is, but I'd like to take a second and point out just how awesome he looks! His armour is fantastic, his weird flared-trouser-boot-bell-bottom thingies look awesome, and the way he holds his sword backhanded for a lot of his moves really gives him his own style that makes him feel more like his own character and less like a Marth clone. I'm loving how Roy plays, but his looks make the hype even stronger.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Everyone's going on about how great of a character Roy is, but I'd like to take a second and point out just how awesome he looks! His armour is fantastic, his weird flared-trouser-boot-bell-bottom thingies look awesome, and the way he holds his sword backhanded for a lot of his moves really gives him his own style that makes him feel more like his own character and less like a Marth clone. I'm loving how Roy plays, but his looks make the hype even stronger.
Roy has always looked cool though. In Melee he was just the much cooler version of Marth, albeit weaker and slower. Now he's just plain awesome.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Roy looks better than ever in this game. From the way he swings his sword to his character model and movement animations <3

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Roy is the best character to ever grace Smash with his presence. He was the best in Melee, and now the best in Smash 4. His incomplete data was on the disc in Brawl, thus he was the best character there too. Roy created the Earth and universe, and is the father of humankind. Why'd we discover Ph1r3 before electricity? It was Roy's plan. Why and how did dinosaurs go extinct? Roy destroyed them with his Ph1r3 to make room for humankind, all in his plan to create Sakurai, and in turn, Smash. I pray to Roy at night for the safety and well-being of my loved ones. I spend my weekends bringing others into Roy's sacred love. Roy's our boy. Roy's everyone's boy.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'd say he's high tier. He's not top 5, but he is definitely top 15. What's best is that he's the only swordsman and the only disjointed (or at least swordsman-range disjointed) deserving of high tier which will make him a very specific threat.

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I really love how they made the Sword of Seals look in Smash 4, it looks more bulkier and heavy compared to Melee.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I really love how they made the Sword of Seals look in Smash 4, it looks more bulkier and heavy compared to Melee.
I think it now looks like it's game right? In Melee it was basically the Falchion with a recolored hilt.

Sword of Seals looks way more awesome.

Last edited:

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
I'd say he's definitely A tier, possibly B+ tier, but by no means is he going to be one of the top 5 characters. What's really going to hold him back though is his recovery.

Last edited:

iAmKababMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
iAmKababMan
If it helps, I personally play Pikachu and Little Mac as secondaries to Roy. I tend to play more campier styles with them compared to Roy's constant rush down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom