• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Impressions Thread

Thoughts on Roy?

• Love him!

Votes: 75 67.6%
  • Like him!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • OK... He could be better...

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Don't like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
He is probably heavier as well.
I doubt that. Roy was super light. He's a fast faller though, that was always his distinction. Compounded with his mediocre recovery, he died really quickly, especially horizontally.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
his down throw is like sheik diddy and luigi i think you can combo with that
Speaking of Roy's throws, and I agree with you for sure, i think his forward throw might be one of the best utility f throws in the game. It looks kinda like the only melee-esque throw in the game lol. If it stays on that trajectory at higher percents you can probably do tech chases off of it. Throw tech chases are one of my most missed things from melee, i'm really pulling for this.

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
his moves kill as early as ikes

AND his recovery cane angled

Last edited:
MY MAIN IS BACK!

Heads up guys, I'm gonna be hard labbing Roy the day he comes out. I'll post the frame data as soon as I compile it and I'll start labbing up crazy combo stuff as soon as possible.
Thanks man, I really look forward to it. I'm going look for ways to combo Blazer from stuff that other moves can't combo into, and as many combo applications from throws, tilts, footstools, landing aerials, etc. as possible.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Thanks man, I really look forward to it. I'm going look for ways to combo Blazer from stuff that other moves can't combo into, and as many combo applications from throws, tilts, footstools, landing aerials, etc. as possible.
As long as you can still do stuff like dtilt/falling aerials into flare blade then we're good lol. That was one of the few reliable ways that Roy could get someone offstage outside grab tech chases. Though Roy tech chases in Melee were also super fun. He had a really nice wavedash and could get regrabs all day as long as you got reads.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Dude forge that Roy looks like he has the potential to ken combo, and if you have a keen eye his sword range is kind of big, does that mean all sword characters have a better range now or just him?

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Well, before I celebrate, I just want to apologize for 'disappearing' from the support thread, life has been hard lately, however, it's all sorted now...

MY BABY IS BACK. TODAY IS A BEAUTIFUL DAY. I just can't buy them yet... ;A;

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
His regular slash does 15% damage and his up b does like 30% damage correct me if im wrong he seems better then any of the fire emblem characters IMO right now

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I would probably agree that he's the best of the Fire Emblem lot. He hits hard and can kill confirm a lot, but he also dies really easily. He's combo meat of the worst kind with his recovery.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
My brother used to main Roy back in Melee, and I think he's going to really like how Roy plays in Sm4sh when he gets a chance to try him out, Roy has a similar feel in Sm4sh to how he did in Melee (more so than Marth at least, who I mained in Melee).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What are your impressions on Roy so far? I could actually gush on and on about how fan-****ing-tastic of a job Sakurai and his team did with Roy. He feels like a completely different character than the inferior clone that was Melee Roy. He has his own animations now (except for Double-Edge and down tilt) and they make him feel completely seperate from Marth. I daresay that this is the best Luigification thus far. I also like how borrows some elements from Ike, too. I'll admit, I didn't want Roy back because he was just another clone, but since I saw his Luigification, I knew he'd be main status. And holy ****, Roy is without a doubt the freshest character in Smash. Fresher than Jigglypuff, Ike, everybody. For real, I think Roy a fashion diva on the down low. His costumes make me wish there was a Shuffle button or something.
I think Roy is maybe at the middle-top of high tier. He's not quite up there with the top dogs like Luigi and Rosalina and them, but he is damn good. I like how balanced his skill curve is, too. He's not braindead, press B to win like Sonic and Diddy and he's not complicated and complex like Rosalina and Jigglypuff. He's in between, and it feels good.
My only complaint about Roy is how unnecessarily complex his grab game is. You really have to know what works and how to get anything out of his throws. Less ending lag on his forward, up, and down throws wouldn't hurt. I'ma stop now before I gush myself half to death. What do you think of Roy? Like him? Love him? Hate him?

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Can we talk about how freaking fast and lagless Roy is? Like seriously, holy crap. Almost nothing is safe on shield though. :cry:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
His flare blade was nerfed from Melee. He used to be able to hit opponents at any point as he was swinging it down, but now he can only hit them at the end of his swing. That makes it 10 times harder to hit opponents in the air with it. It's a shame because that was one of my favorite moves.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I think he's great as a ground fighter. Being a Bowser main this pleases me. My friend played him like a total scrub and I kicked his ass.

Roy is like Ganon with a sword. I love it.

HiguraShiki

Smash Rookie
At the moment, it looks like he's the best FE character in the game. Fast moves, good dmg, guarenteed followups off of moves, and good movement. I also like the fact that they changed a lot of his normals to differ from Marth/Lucina. Totally lovin Roy.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Fast, ridiculous strong sweetspot-ed attacks.

But in turn, heavier and a fast faller. Recovery is harder now.
Side b doesn't stall like in marth in the air.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling a lot of things: Hype, Relief, Awe, Nostalgia, Gratefulness, Justice, and a sense that it's just right.

• Hype - I've always mained Roy since Melee. To the point where I can use him competitively with Melee's ATs and all that. Seeing a NEWLY designed Roy that takes a departure from his Melee crouch-cancel down-tilt style is something I find intriguing.
  • Relief - I'm relieved that Sakurai both decided to bring him back AND re-design/buff him. If SM4SH Roy had kept all of his Melee flaws despite reappearing, I would've been let down immensely.
  • Awe - He just feels amazing to play as. He looks amazing. They even brought back his voice actor. They even specifically mentioned that they redesigned him to be far more powerful than his Melee counterpart (which apparently Sakurai designed Melee Roy that way on purpose) which further helps solidify in my mind that Sakurai does understand how to make characters powerful or not.
  • Nostalgia - Like I said, it's been over a decade since we last saw Roy in a Nintendo-directed Smash game. Project M Roy is amazing, and will probably always be the most powerful iteration of Roy, but unfortunately none of my friends really play P:M competitively around my skill level, and none of the Sm4sh Fire Emblem characters give me the same feeling that I do when I use Roy.
  • Gratefulness - Thank you Sakurai, for allowing Our Boy to have returned and to show his growth (quite literally). You've done us Roy fans a huge service.
  • Justice - Roy has always received a bad rap.
    "He's just a lousy Marth clone."
    "He's a horrible video game character who's bad in every game he appears in."
    "He's a waste of a slot and no one wants him."

With this game, and with Project M, no longer is Roy going to be someone who is a mere overshadowed clone. He's become far more than that, and one could even say has already surpassed the "source material" from which he originated from. It's time that he receives compensation for all the negativity he's received. He's going to be a truly powerful character in this game, one that will be taken seriously on the battlefield.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
His flare blade was nerfed from Melee. He used to be able to hit opponents at any point as he was swinging it down, but now he can only hit them at the end of his swing. That makes it 10 times harder to hit opponents in the air with it. It's a shame because that was one of my favorite moves.
This was one disappointment the other being that his down tilt not popping opponents up

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Love him. His "tipper" is surprisingly forgiving compared to melee and marth, new attack animations are great, love the new fair and dair, down thtow to up b is great, and that speed. He's essentially ike with marth's speed to me XD

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Better than I expected, cuz wasnt even on my radar. fits a style I like :)

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I like the way they differentiated his character from Marth. Marth is based on proper spacing, tipper, and opportunistic patience. On the other hand Roy seems to be quicker, more rush down characters. Marth excels at aerials, but Roy overally has a better ground game.

With a completely different playstyle Roy's a semi-clone at worst, especially in comparison to characters like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I like the way they differentiated his character from Marth. Marth is based on proper spacing, tipper, and opportunistic patience. On the other hand Roy seems to be quicker, more rush down characters. Marth excels at aerials, but Roy overally has a better ground game.

With a completely different playstyle Roy's a semi-clone at worst, especially in comparison to characters like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.
Well, Dark Pit and Lucina. Dr. Mario actually plays surprisingly different from Mario.

The Big Wang Theory

Smash Cadet
NNID
TimeNook
3DS FC
4038-6179-1020
I was hyped as hell when he was revealed and let's just say I wasn't disappointed at all. I'm keeping him.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
I just played a couple of hours with him and i was stunned. This man is just pure power. Its insane how lagless most of his ground moves are and how much damage they do.

2Fat4U

Smash Rookie
Ok so obviously roy has gotten buffed up like crazy. But what are some other things you have noticed about Roy?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I just played a couple of hours with him and i was stunned. This man is just pure power. Its insane how lagless most of his ground moves are and how much damage they do.
Right? Why does Flare Blade kill AND have no lag?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I decided Meta Knight was my main man, but Roy is giving him a run for his money. Loving this character. I might drop Pit as my secondary in favor of Roy, or play 3 characters... Not sure. Definitely need this fighter in my life, though.

Draxonis

Smash Rookie
NNID
Draxonis
his power is amazing, though my only qualms with him are that his attacks are ridiculously short ranged (though I'm used to shulk) and that he is a pitiful jumper when off stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom