• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Uh... I don't hear any similarities. I think you might be crazy.

Have you ever even played Street Fighter before?
I main Ganondorf - of course I'm crazy.

Also, listen to them both again and you'll hear that Samba Whistle.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Of course it is. They can't make an infinite number of characters. I know people are all nostalgic for Roy and some other fighters, but I would like to see completely new ones have a chance to be released, too.
Actually, they can... No they can't make an infinite amount, but they can sure as hell make more than anyone could ever want. Disk space is not an issue with DLC, because it is not on the disk... The only thing holding Nintendo back is the workload, which Roy would not be much of at all.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't make sense to me. You don't want a second Capcom character, but you DO want a second Sega character (Bayonetta) and two additional Rare characters? I don't understand why you're being selective of which companies get to have two reps, which is why I'm glad you're not in charge.

If Nintendo CAN have lots of third party characters then why wouldn't they? There's no reason not to fill the game with as many legendary IP as possible. Namco should add Klonoa too to round out the secondary IP of the third party companies.
No. Wait. I did not say that I want all of these being in the game. That means Banjo or Conker, not both. Though I wouldn't mind both because they are both important to Nintendos history and they belonged to Nintendo. And I thought Bayonetta is owned by Platinum?

Why they wouldn't? Simply because it's a Nintendo All Stars Game. Only important thirds should be in that game. Sonic, Pacman and Mega Man, all important guys for gaming and Nintendo. Snake was cause Kojima, thats okay. But imo it would miss the point of an Nintendo All Star Brawler if there are like 10 third party characters. And I also don't understand why Street FIghter should be represented. Like I said, there are way more important characters than him.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
OH MY GOD RYU YES PLEASE BE REAL THERE IS A GOD I'D PREFER MY GIRL CHUN LI BUT OH MY GOD IT'S RYU WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DON'T EVEN CARE IF YOU'RE ALL MAD BOO HOO ABOUT BANJO KAZOOIE SHOVEL KNIGHT BOMBERMAN AND WHOEVER ELSE THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE IF THIS IS REAL

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, other than Roy coming back which i'm extremely hyped for, I really welcome the idea of Ryu being in Smash. He's someone that I didn't really expect beforehand but that would make his inclusion even more great (i.e. Solid Snake in Brawl).

All we need now is Wolf, Isaac, and K. Rool and i'll be the happiest guy on Earth.

EDIT: Add Snake to that list as well though i'm iffy about him coming back.

Last edited:

TravelocityKirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
TravelocityKirby
3DS FC
3480-2636-5297
Eliwood for smash! (better than Roy...)
As much as I like Fire Emblem, I think it doesn't need another rep, much less Roy returning. (Why not Hector instead?) And Ryu would be cool. (Please have Guile's theme)
*CoughOrMicaiahCough*
Forever alone on her support.

As much as people can say "Oh Roy can be Luigified," I'd MUCH rather they use the ballots to bring in completely new blood and who'd, frankly, be much more interesting than "oh, he kinda played like Marth 'cept his sword's on FIYAH! And had a different sweetspot."

If FE does get another rep, I'd hope it's someone who doesn't have a sword. Yeah, Robin has all that magic, but he still had a sword.

As for Ryu... Eh, would heavily prefer other 3rd Parties get their say in first before giving an already represented one more representation. Y'know, Shantae, Rayman, the usual suspects.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
No. Wait. I did not say that I want all of these being in the game. That means Banjo or Conker, not both. Though I wouldn't mind both because they are both important to Nintendos history and they belonged to Nintendo. And I thought Bayonetta is owned by Platinum?

Why they wouldn't? Simply because it's a Nintendo All Stars Game. Only important thirds should be in that game. Sonic, Pacman and Mega Man, all important guys for gaming and Nintendo. Snake was cause Kojima, thats okay. But imo it would miss the point of an Nintendo All Star Brawler if there are like 10 third party characters. And I also don't understand why Street FIghter should be represented. Like I said, there are way more important characters than him.
Bayonetta was created by Platinum, but is owned by Sega. Sega owns all rights to the franchise. Conker won't ever be in Smash for obvious reasons if you've played his games. There is no reason whatsoever for third party companies to be limited to a single rep, as they always have multiple iconic franchises.

If you don't think Street Fighter is important to gaming you don't know anything about video games. Street Fighter is a MASSIVELY iconic and legendary franchise that has a huge part in the annals of pop culture. It receives countless references and parodies in music, TV shows, movies and comic books because it's world-famous. They've been referred to in TV shows like Robot Chicken, Family Guy and American Dad. A Street Fighter character had a big speaking role in Disney's multimillion-dollar movie Wreck-It Ralph, which is another big tribute to video games. To claim that Street Fighter isn't an important game franchise is just complete ignorance.

Even if they had 10 or so third party characters in the game, 90% of the game is still Nintendo characters, so Nintendo is at all diminished by it. Third parties are JUST as important to Nintendo's legacy as Nintendo's own characters. They share an equal, if not greater part, of our memories about games we enjoyed on old systems.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Almost certainly fake. Roy's victory theme is Brawl Marth's exactly. Also, while I might be able to believe that old music from SF2 made it into Smash, there's no way the victory theme wouldn't be remixed.

It doesn't mean these characters won't show up, it means that I'm 99% sure this is fake.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
I am really not excited for one of them... I like lucas but I don't want to pay for him because i already have ness and don't need a 2nd PSI kid.
I don't want a 3rd marth clone unless he gets an own moveset and has no single attack common with marth.
Ryu... not a fan of street fighter and I actually don't even want to fight him in smash bros. I probably would just suicide online.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Wouldn't it be funny if Nintendo imported all of the other major fighting game franchises into smash.
aka
Ryu- street fighter
Doctor Doom - MVC
Morrigan or J talbik(the werewolf guy) - Darkstalkers
Sigfreid - Soul caliber
ECT
I am in support of this.
Yoshimitsu from Tekken please.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but why would they include those files in this update? If they were adding Ryu and Roy, wouldn't they instead add their victory themes in the update they were included in?

This all seems fishy to me.

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
What if the Ryu is not street fighter but actually Ryu Hayabusa (think I spelled it right) from Ninja Gaiden. Just a thought. Ninja Gaiden was very popular in the nes days and a version of it exists in Wii-u

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Granted I don't quite believe this rumor but I was always expecting Nintendo to announce another returning veteran at E3. It just didn't make sense to have Mewtwo out in April, Lucas in June, and then nothing until poll results released in October. I thought it would be Wolf though.

I will say if we end up hearing in October that Ryu won the poll contest, I'll be highly suspicious. If we get him on top of the poll winner, I have no issues with that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I really don't care about either character. Roy's been heavily demanded for the past seven years and Ryu's pretty much the defacto fighting game star so they both make sense as additions but I can't get excited for either of them. I will say one thing though, if this turns out to be true and the Ice Climbers don't make it back, making them the only Melee characters absent in SSB4 (I consider Brawl and SSB4 Pikachu to be Melee Pichu) I will be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Please oh please be fake.

If we get five Fire Emblem characters and none of them are Chrom, I'm gonna be so ****ing pissed. ESPECIALLY if two of them are Marth clones...

Ryu would be cool though.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm unconvinced. Why would the sound files for two characters' victory themes--and only the victory themes--be added in a patch before they were even announced? Why is Ryu's so-called victory theme a direct rip from SF2 instead of a remix like every current character's? Why would Roy get a nod so easily when such a significant part of the fanbase feels he's too redundant to be worth purchasing (and when he likely wouldn't get a revamp since Mewtwo didn't)?

Add that with the fact that (from what I've heard) the guy who started the rumor has been involved with 3DS hacking before, and it doesn't add up.

Top Bottom