• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Maybe these will be new Mii costumes, tha add another victory theme when all worn together?

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I am enjoying how everyone just is assuming Roy would be a Marth clone.
Can't really blame them when he was more or less a Marth clone in Melee with an adjusted sweet spot. I hope Sakurai adds something to his move set IF he's in but i am not counting on it.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I hope this is all true, I would love to have Roy. I like the changes they made on Project M that helped him be more viable. Anyway, I wonder if Sakurai would make some tweaks to help him stand out a little more. Maybe make him the "wolf" of the Star Fox trio back in Brawl. Similar specials moves but they were worked differently. (But a different final smash!)

I don't mind clones as long as there are some notable differences. Heck, I really won't complain since I would be happy with his inclusion and all. The whole DLC is still very exciting, who knows who we will get!

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
To me this ruins any hype that could of been in an official reveal from Nintendo but personally I don't mind the characters at all it's not like I'll use them that much. I see Ryu being a lot like Falcon size wise.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
No offense to Roy fans but I hope he doesn't come back mainly because we don't need 2 Marth clones and FE is fine with 4 reps because really I know clones are easy to make but adding another "Marth" seems like a waster of a DLC slot to me

As for Ryu I'm kinda 50/50 on this because Ryu is the one most iconic fighting game characters but if he does get added to the DLC roster that means Capcom has two characters in the game while the other guest companies have only one.

Plus if Ryu is confirmed that pretty much almost destrories other 3rd party characters such as Rayman or Indie Characters such as Shantae's chances

I mean I have faith in Sakurai but I'm hoping they won't waste two slots but then again there is no telling how many characters we're getting as DLC it could be 6,9 or 12 we won't know for sure for a while unless Sakurai announces the amount their making at E3 with Lucas' release in June

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Yeah, his moves are all the same, just faster. Moveset itself is exactly the same as Melee. Well besides Final Smash, that didn't exist.
His hitboxes are all different and the knockback, startup, cooldown, trajectory and hitstun of his moves have all have been changed in a way that allows for completely different followups. Look at the stuff Mewtwo can do off of jab 1 now.

If Roy received the same treatment he would be be very different compared to Marth and Lucy.

Last edited:

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
His hitboxes are all different and the knockback, startup, cooldown, trajectory and hitstun of his moves have all have been changed in a way that allows for completely different followups. Look at the stuff Mewtwo can do off of jab 1 now.

If Roy received the same treatment he would be be very different compared to Marth and Lucy.
If Roy received the same treatment he would still have the same moveset itself, though, and therefore, would be a clone.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
If Roy received the same treatment he would still have the same moveset itself, though, and therefore, would be a clone.
I get that, I do. But if Roy gets announced I'll probably consider Ryu to be in the works too, who wiill certainly be a new character. If i could handpick two dlc characters it wouldn't be these two, but seriously, can we not just be happy with three dlc character and the potential to get more as time goes on? There will be like 50+ characters... some clones would be fine by me.

Assuming this isn't a shameless hoax, of course.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
After what Sakurai said about the DLC stuff, and how he wants as much as possible, I think those five slots on the files were just five currently being worked on. I think the other two are Inkling and Wolf. Then, we will get Ballot DLC, possibly 2-4 more characters with the Ballot.

Shuko

Smash Rookie
I'm honestly not really excited for this leak. I'm really hoping it's just fake.

I definitely understand why people want these characters in, and I can't blame them. In fact, Roy was my main since melee and I was stoked to play as him in Project M. But seeing as there already is a character under the name Roy, this is most likely a well crafted leak. Plus do we really need another Marth clone?

As for Ryu, I personally think he would be an extremely bland and stale character for a game like this. I'm all for the hadoukens and such, but compared to everyone else in the roster, Ryu only stands out because he's 3rd party.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm honestly not really excited for this leak. I'm really hoping it's just fake.

I definitely understand why people want these characters in, and I can't blame them. In fact, Roy was my main since melee and I was stoked to play as him in Project M. But seeing as there already is a character under the name Roy, this is most likely a well crafted leak. Plus do we really need another Marth clone?

As for Ryu, I personally think he would be an extremely bland and stale character for a game like this. I'm all for the hadoukens and such, but compared to everyone else in the roster, Ryu only stands out because he's 3rd party.
That Roy is also not his own character, but an alt of Bowser Junior (like Alph is to Olimar), so he doesn't really count in that sense. And it's likely Roy will get de-cloning like Lucas will, so we can't say he'll be as much of a clone as Lucina (who only neuters Marth's gimmick and adds a new coat of paint to change up the formula). Plus, no other swordsman in the game has multiple moves utilizing setting your sword on fire and using it to attack foes. :p

As for Ryu, his iconic value well overshadows the generic moveset; he's like the Mario of fighting games. (In fact, that's his actual trope; the Jack-Of-All-Stats, also known as The Mario). Ryu is to fighters what Mario is to platformers; he's almost synonymous with the term "fighting game character".

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That Roy is also not his own character, but an alt of Bowser Junior (like Alph is to Olimar), so he doesn't really count in that sense. And it's likely Roy will get de-cloning like Lucas will, so we can't say he'll be as much of a clone as Lucina (who only neuters Marth's gimmick and adds a new coat of paint to change up the formula). Plus, no other swordsman in the game has multiple moves utilizing setting your sword on fire and using it to attack foes. :p
I don't play as the Fire Emblem characters all that much, but what about Ike? (I know his B move and final smash both involve that)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I don't play as the Fire Emblem characters all that much, but what about Ike? (I know his B move and final smash both involve that)
While it's true that Ike has fire, he really doesn't do much with it outside of just the neutral-B and Final Smash. Roy uses fire a lot more in his regular moveset, so the two aren't quite comparable in that way.

Nexelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nexelous
Seeing Ryu into Smash would be so amazing to me since he got what it takes.

As for Roy, I'm not really fond of him but he's legitimately cool. Maybe they'll we work Roy since he might be DLC. At least it ain't bad as asking for Freddy or Shrek in Smash oh better yet better than asking for Hatsune Miku.

prettynice

Smash Apprentice
Ryu in Smash? Highly doubted.

Seems like just another rumor to me.

But Roy, returning? Probably too good to be true.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Ryu in Smash? Highly doubted.

Seems like just another rumor to me.

But Roy, returning? Probably too good to be true.

These files are real. 100%. Cutting Room Floor (a team known for data dumping games) confirmed their existence.

The only way that this won't happen is if Sakurai pulled the biggest troll of all time, or if they are scrapped files.

prettynice

Smash Apprentice
These files are real. 100%. Cutting Room Floor (a team known for data dumping games) confirmed their existence.

The only way that this won't happen is if Sakurai pulled the biggest troll of all time, or if they are scrapped files.

I'm going to go with the scrapped files. I still doubt it. Hey, I don't know. I could be wrong, but I'm still skeptical.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm going to go with the scrapped files. I still doubt it. Hey, I don't know. I could be wrong, but I'm still skeptical.
So the guys working on DLC put in scrapped files in a patch months after release for characters that were planned at one point (Ryu being one of them, Sakurai needing to get the rights to him and the Street Fighter franchise and would be breaching copyright laws left and right for not having those rights but including sound files for Ryu in a patch).

Yeah...sure.. :psycho:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If this were a fake, Capcom would be all over Nintendo's *** with copyright lawsuits left and right.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So yeah, looks like Roy's confirmed to return.

Now it's just a wonder of which Ballot fighters are chosen. In terms of plausible characters, it'll be K.Rool, Ridley and Wolf (K.Rool since he's already got a basic model to work from, Ridley because of the fan demand and Wolf because he's already been in a game and we all know Japanese players hate losing characters).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The 5 characters (Lucas, Ryu, Roy, Wolf, and someone else) + Mewtwo that were in the files were most likely pre-planned DLC characters before the ballot was announced.

With the Ballot towards the end of the year, I expect to see a bunch of characters being included given Sakurai's statement of getting as much as DLC characters as possible. I would assume K. Rool and Isaac are the frontrunners for that.

WadaPocky

Smash Rookie
NNID
WadaPocky
3DS FC
2208-4509-9563
So what? Ryu isn't defined by JUST his dragon punch. Since when did having a similar move to another character disqualify them from being in the game? I guess that means Dedede can't be in the game because his neutral B is an inhale just like Kirby. All the Fire Emblem characters, Little Mac and Shulk can't be in the game either since all of their down+Bs are counter moves.
That was a joke. The whole point is about Ryu coming from a 2D fighting game makes him not as entertaining as another. But today, I stand convinced Roy and Ryu will be available with Lucas in a DLC pack, we'll just have to wait for E3 to know.

Top Bottom