• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Not these stupid tramps already claiming "IT'S FAKE" without even checking the sources. Will these people ever learn? I remember similar reactions about Lucas rumours few days before the Direct and guess what happened.

This guy is legit, he's one of the folks who hacked ORAS Demo and found Unbound Hoopa on it.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I really do want Roy back in the game as a character. But if he does come back, I don't want him to be a "third Marth". Now that his game is ACTUALLY OUT, there's some cool things that can be added to his moveset using the magical properties of the Sword of Seals. Like a fire projectile? I can dream right?

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Not these stupid tramps already claiming "IT'S FAKE" without even checking the sources. Will these people ever learn? I remember similar reactions about Lucas rumours few days before the Direct and guess what happened.

This guy is legit, he's one of the folks who hacked ORAS Demo and found Unbound Hoopa on it.
Hold up, he's one of the people who found Unbound Hoopa? My trust level went up signifigantly, but my grain of salt is still taken.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I am down for this. If Ryu makes it, I can already see all the Hadoken spam.

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
NO PLS NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
I am loving all these tears from the Roy nay-sayers!:chuckle:

PLEASE CRY SOME MORE!!

Last edited:

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
rofl at the Eliwood pic on the video, it's so easy to google "Roy Fire Emblem"

rayhaku809

Smash Rookie
I don't want Ryu, but it'll be funny to see him jump more than once and to see "Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!" to get back on stage

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
When are we trending #RoyOurBoy on all possible social networks?

Last edited:

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
It's a long shot but I'd like Lip from Panel de Pon and Wario with moves based on Warioland. Wouldn't mind seeing Bayonetta either.
I'll be honest, I've never played Panel de Pon... I know it's a puzzle game but that's like... it. All my knowledge on it is right there. Haven't played Bayonetta either. I watched a friend play some of it and wanted to pick it up but never got around to it. As a matter of fact I just added it to my game wishlist, so thanks for reminding me about her. I think she would be cool in Smash. As far as Wario... see, I know Warioware was popular and all, but I liked the Wario Land games so much better. Some of his current moves could definitely be reworked to Wario Land based. It probably won't happen, but it's just what I think.

I'm also conflicted on whether or not I want to see Shantae. She'd be interesting, but it'd dash my hopes of uh... getting her as a guest in my fighting game.
SHANTAE. I freaking LOVE Shantae. She would be really interesting in Smash! I always wanted to play her games but could never get ahold of them. (If you can't tell by now, I am very... very poor.) My first Shantae game was Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and I LOVE it. Then again I'm a Metroidvania fanatic, so... also, you have a fighting game?

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
When I first heard about this data dump and figured that Ryu from Street Fighter was involved I thought "lolwhat?" because when I tried to think about potential third-party newcomers I wouldn't mind to see in Smash Ryu wasn't one of them, but ultimately I think he does make some sense and I now consider him as one. Street Fighter is possibly the most well-known fighting game series of all times and Ryu is definitely a widely recognizable and high profile video game character. Putting the biggest fighting game icon in the biggest crossover fighting game makes sense when you think about it. Sure Sakurai said he didn't want characters originating from fighting games in Smash, but we all know he often changes his mind. He wasn't one of the potential third-party newcomers on my radar, but at least he's a better choice than random indie nobodies >_>

For fun I searched in the Rate Their Chances archives to see how high Ryu was ranked in chances and want... 0.29% and 10% respectively. I know it was technically right regardless as post-release DLC wasn't taken into account when rating chances for characters but still if it's actually happening for DLC then it would be the biggest shocker compared to the RTC results ahah.

I'm not too thrilled about Roy coming back, I know he has a lot of fans who miss him and I'd be happy for them if he comes back, but I'm usually not excited by "derivative" characters. I think he will still be a cloney character as a returning fighter, but possibly tweaked a little to feel more different from Marth, like Falco and Ganondorf who kinda felt like cheap clones for me in Melee but actually felt different from the character they derivate from in Brawl. And maybe a unique Final Smash that would be cool.

And for Wolf aka "Mr. Shoo-in", I guess it would make sense for him to come later, I could see him saved for the end of the year for when Starfox Wii U will release, with possibly a promotional offer like "Register [insert definitive title of Starfox Wii U here] on [whatever Club Nintendo's successor is] and get a free download code for Wolf in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U" which I think would at least help to sell some copies of Starfox Wii U especially if those who do this get Wolf before everyone else similar to Mewtwo.

Last edited:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
*claps slowly* Another Marth clone/FE rep., and Capcom character I had heard virtually no one clamoring for. Just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Ryu is pretty hype-worthy and I'm okay with Roy as long as he's not Marth 3.0 but I'm still waiting for some solid proof that this is legit first

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You know Megaman has retro songs in both versions of Smash 4 right?
Yeah. If it was just the stage music that was exactly the same as Street Fighter 2, I wouldn't find it odd - most of the Sonic music was unchanged from the original games to Super Smash Bros., for example. However, the victory theme being identical to the original game sticks out because it doesn't mesh with every other victory theme in terms of quality.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Roy wouldn't have a victory theme specific to him, he'd share the same as the rest of the fire emblem characters. There's absolutely no reason for victory theme files to have names beyond Z and two numbers as well.

Same to mewtwo and lucas, they share / will share the victory themes with the pokémon and ness respectively.

Last edited:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Apparently it is, but I just really like the taste of your salt. Keep it coming, one bucket at a time! :p
You sound begrudging, dear friend. Take a moment to sit down, maybe rest your head on a pillow, and listen to some smooth-going Kenny G over a hot cup of vanilla latte. We are all not as fortunate to have your equitable taste in selection, after all.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
God, I really hope Roy doesn't come back. I love both Marth and Lucina, but we do not need any more Marth clones.
Ur playing with fire when u say that, when Roy returns you will get burned.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Me reading back to last pages:

I thought we got used to lame clones after Dark Pit, Doc and Lucina were a thing for this game.

Also I guess Roy Koopa will be renamed Bully Koopa now.

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Guess I'm just stupid for being happy that Roy players get their main back. Boy howdy.

Hyped for Ryu though. Absolutely hyped. SF2 was the game that introduced me to fighters. Played a lot of that and Mortal Kombat growing up, and have been into Smash ever since day one of the North American release for the original game. Now DLC characters are happening, Ryu is all but confirmed to be one of them, and MKX just came out and is really solid.

This has been a great week.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
I have absolutely no issues with Ryu and Roy as characters, but just the fact that they would get in over King K. Rool and Wolf is disappointing. I mean in what world is a 3rd Marth clone that has had no time to shine in a while and has more haters than fans represented in a series that already has plenty of characters better than a character who is not really a clone and has lots of fans and comes from a relatively under-represented franchise?

Sorry for that long rant, but the thought of Roy over Wolf hurts me.

To be entirely honest, I would not mind if Ryu made it in over my other favorite newcomers, King K. Rool and Fossil Hero. Ryu is a great choice in my opinion. Street Fighter is awesome.

But do I believe the rumor? No.

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Sorry for that long rant, but the thought of Roy over Wolf hurts me.

Do I believe the leak? No.
Reminder that Wolf has quite a bit of haters as well, though in his defense that was largely from Landmaster overload.

I wouldn't get upset over it. Not until it's definitively stated that they're done with DLC characters. Until that happens, nobody "got in over" anyone.

Neither of these two are even in my top five, but hey, I'm not bothered. Hell, if they keep releasing characters at the same rate and pattern as Mewtwo to Lucas then Wolf is extremely likely to be the December-ish release.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Uh, if any Ryu has a chance of getting into Smash, Ryu from the Ninja Gaiden series has a better chance than Street Fighter Ryu. Ninja Gaiden is more relevant to Nintendo's history, it was one of the household NES series names.

Top Bottom