• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Dillon's Rolling Western and Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger. they are Eshop games. plus from an astethic point of view Dillon is far more interesting i think.

Darn. I do not have a 3DS. The art style is amazing though. He has my support. I get a Veiwtiful Joe vib from it.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Not even sure what I was going for with any of these! But oh well~
I'm guessing the third one is a dream rosters. The first one is realistic and the second one is just.....there. (but a bit realistic in size)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well, let it open up a discussion:

Do people think Shulk or the Xenoblade Chronicles are deserving to be in Smash considering it's a fairly new series?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Do people think Shulk or the Xenoblade Chronicles are deserving to be in Smash considering it's a fairly new series?

He has the same chance as Dillon I would say. And anyone else that is from a new series. Question is popularity. Given that Dillon is from an e3DS game and this is a wii release. I am sure Shulk has had more exposure.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

nah i dont see it happening. nothing against the game, as far as recent RPGs are concerned its quite good. i just dont find Shulks inclusion necessary by any means and there are other new first/second party ips id rather see get a character first. def an assist trophy though

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Shulk is deserving in my eyes. Xenoblade did extremely well for a, quote on quote, "boring RPG".

It's an awesome game and far from boring.

EDIT: Habanero is right though.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Shulk is deserving in my eyes. Xenoblade did extremely well for a, quote on quote, "boring RPG".

It's an awesome game and far from boring.

It was not far from boring. It is very boring. And It is nice to hear it did well.
Still, his chances are similar to that of everyone else.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Understandable. While Shulk is from a new franchise, Monolith Soft created the Xenogears Saga and was connected to Namco until bought by Nintendo. In a world where nintendo has vety few good RPGs, MS made an excellent and rich RPG that was crtitically acclaimed. Plus, this studio is developing the new X game. I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to include content from this series or X since: 1) it's a new first party developer for Nintendo, 2) they are very well known in the gaming world, 3) most of thier titles have received critical acclaim (including Xenoblade), and 4) including Shulk would help advertise this game as well as increase interest in further MS products. Not to mention Shulk fights with a giant energy blade and a Crnobladecstage would be awesome.

D

Deleted member

"Deserve"?

Honestly, I don't think that matters here. I can name off twenty characters I would consider worthy of a spot and not all of them are going to get in. I'd argue that while Shulk is definitely a good choice, that Isaac would be an even better choice.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma

Sort of? He's the main character of a critically acclaimed, fan-favorite, recent Nintendo JRPG, yet Isaac was passed over back in Brawl despite being in a similar situation (arguably better since he was in two games). I'd be fine with his inclusion, but if Isaac wasn't good enough then, I'm not sure Shulk is good enough now.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i could take or leave Shulk. im personally not pulling for him and if hes in fantastic. but if he wasnt added i wouldnt mind in the slightest cause as ive said, there are characters id rather see first.. the game is good and does deserve a little recognition. a full on character im not quite convinced yet

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
IMO, not adding content from the Xenoblsde series or any few franchises for that matter would send the message "we don't consider the newer franchises important enough" and continue the perception that Nintendo only focuses on its older, core franchises. Including characters such as Shulk and Dillon is a step forward in dispelling that view point.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't truly expect Shulk. (I don't want to come off as thinking he's a shoo in) But he's still one of my most wanted.

D

Deleted member

IMO, not adding content from the Xenoblsde series or any few franchises for that matter would send the message "we don't consider the newer franchises important enough" and continue the perception that Nintendo only focuses on its older, core franchises. Including characters such as Shulk and Dillon is a step forward in dispelling that view point.
They've kinda already dispelled that viewpoint with this game. Granted, Wii Fit and Mii (should the rumor be true) are huge, core series for Nintendo, but they are one of the newer series that Nintendo has brought out. So when it comes to the newer franchise, we already got both.

So no, I don't consider Xenoblade being a newer series to be a very good argument. What are better arguments, however, is that it's comparable to being the Earthbound of this generation; a critically acclaimed RPG that breaks new ground and and became well-known thanks to a campaign from Operation Rainfall and despite being limited in copies, became a relative success. Shulk being currently the only popular request internationally for a misc. rep also helps his chances a lot. Those two reasons are why I feel Shulk has a shot, not because he'd dispel the viewpoint that Nintendo only cares about their older franchise (which as I said before, has been done already).

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Xenoblade is definitely one of the best games to ever grace the Wii and is by far one of the best games I've ever played. The gameplay was great, the musical score was absolutely stunning, and the characters within the game were phenomenal. If this is a boring RPG then boring is just as good as the RPG category can get. I believe Shulk, like many other characters, 'deserves' a spot on the roster. His chances though may be in question but let's not forget that he is a first party character.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Xenoblade is definitely one of the best games to ever grace the Wii and is by far one of the best games I've ever played. The gameplay was great, the musical score was absolutely stunning, and the characters within the game were phenomenal. If this is a boring RPG then boring is just as good as the RPG category can get. I believe Shulk, like many other characters, 'deserves' a spot on the roster. His chances though may be in question but let's not forget that he is a first party character.

Good to hear you liked it. Does not change the fact that it was boring with uninteresting characters and an OK music score. Gameplay was good though, but got tired. And the aesthetic was kind of meh. Still, If he is the new hip wanted character, I say throw in Dillon. He is more colorful.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
They've kinda already dispelled that viewpoint with this game. Granted, Wii Fit and Mii (should the rumor be true) are huge, core series for Nintendo, but they are one of the newer series that Nintendo has brought out. So when it comes to the newer franchise, we already got both.

So no, I don't consider Xenoblade being a newer series to be a very good argument. What are better arguments, however, is that it's comparable to being the Earthbound of this generation; a critically acclaimed RPG that breaks new ground and and became well-known thanks to a campaign from Operation Rainfall and despite being limited in copies, became a relative success. Shulk being currently the only popular request internationally for a misc. rep also helps his chances a lot. Those two reasons are why I feel Shulk has a shot, not because he'd dispel the viewpoint that Nintendo only cares about their older franchise (which as I said before, has been done already).

Yeah I can see that. I forgot to mention WFT plus Villager are both relatively new. However, based on my own viewpoint and observations, Monolith Soft is developer with lots of potential and could become an important part of Nintendo. Adding Shulk or at least as an AT or Xenoblade content will bring attention to this studio. Everyone complains that Nintendo has very few new IPs at MS created the critically acclaimed Xenoblade Chronicles as well as the upcoming X. Yet, it didnt receive as much press nor recknoiyion until Project Rainfall. MS and other studios create great new IPs yet Nintendo seemingly focuses on its older franchises instead of pushing forth its newer ones. Smash is one avenue for doing that.

It would great to see Nintendo acknowledge this studio in some form.

Drag0n, have you ever played Cenoblsde? Judging from this post:
I have no idea who he is, what he is in or why he is popular. I just know he exists and he reminded me of sonic when I saw him.
There is him and Shulk that I keep seeing around. No idea who either of them are.
If you have not, how can you wholeheartedly judge a game without experiencing it and then have people take you seriously?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
TAKE ME TO YOUR BACKROOM! :crazy:

1. I post a roster and nobody is paying attention because of this stupid argument about cutting people.
2. Dragon whatever his name is, is drawing attention away from everything.

And I have a big shout out to Dragon-whatever.

I have no idea who he is, what he is in or why he is popular. I just know he exists and he reminded me of sonic when I saw him. There is him and Shulk that I keep seeing around. No idea who either of them are.

Dillon would be cool. He could take sonics moveset I think. Not to sure because I have no idea about him.
And you also say you knew nothing about Fire Emblem and proceed to pick a girl version of Marth as a solution to you're continuous misunderstanding of Ike being a clone of him.

If you actually admit you don't know anything about any of the characters you add and protest, why are you here? I would never tell somebody to leave, but since you have destroyed the conversation by distracting everyone to the point where they have made an exclusive room, I ask that you please move to a different topic. I was pretty excited to talk about my roster, but now you've drawn everybody away from the discussion. As nicely as possible I ask please stop with this pointless discussion.

P.S. Sakurai will not refrain from adding characters because drag0nscythe thinks their games are boring. You make really far out assumptions.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Good to hear you liked it. Does not change the fact that it was boring with uninteresting characters and an OK music score. Gameplay was good though, but got tired. And the aesthetic was kind of meh. Still, If he is the new hip wanted character, I say throw in Dillon. He is more colorful.
You thinking it was boring is not a fact. Would you please stop saying it like it is? Have you even played the game?

Sheesh. Don't pass judgments on things that you haven't experienced.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You thinking it was boring is not a fact. Would you please stop saying it like it is? Have you even played the game?

Sheesh. Don't pass judgments on things that you haven't experienced.

Made it part though. Never learned the main characters name. Never cared enough to pay attention to what was going on. It was to boring. I think I made it through 3 hours and gave up.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Alright people, knock it off. We get it, he has an opinion and that's a bad thing apparently. Let's discuss some other type of topic.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Dillon would also be a great addition to the roster, a tad underrated in my opinion.

I like the art style the game gives off. It is really neat. Has an Okami like feel to it. Wish it was not on the 3DS. Not a system buyer, but if I decide to get Smash for 3DS, it will hit my buy bin.

Oh. And I just looked up a list, a character that would be fun (but more likely to be an assist) would be Captain Rainbow. Obscure, but could be fun. Always wanted to play that game, but I cannot read Japanese.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If you ask me Shulk is kinda a guaranteed character. Xenoblade was a hit! He has SOOOO much potential as a smash character and everybody would go nuts over his appearance. Plus why would Sakurai miss out the opportunity of having a character be from a NEW Nintendo franchise? He should be an unlockable character. Not to mention Monolith Soft is working on a brand new Wii U game. I hate it when people say stuff like "Yeah, but that character hasn't appeared in a game the last year so people have probably forgotten him." There are some people who remove K. Rool because he wasn't in Tropical Freeze. Srysly?

Made it part though. Never learned the main characters name. Never cared enough to pay attention to what was going on. It was to boring. I think I made it through 3 hours and gave up.
Again! Sakurai isn't gonna check with you personally to see if you yourself enjoyed the game before adding a character from said game.

It's not necessarily your choices to add or remove characters, I can respect that. But, the reasons you have are all WTF and I cannot respect that nor can I take it the least bit seriously.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Judging from what Sakurai said, it might just be screenshots. He said he won't be as vocal as before. The website screenshot updates around 5:30 pm my time (Japan standard time).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not soon, later. Expect major details to come out months from now, like maybe sometime in fall or winter.
Fiddlesticks! I was getting excited for updates. Oh well.

I'm really just kind of hoping we can all just stop the nonsense with the arguing. It's just annoying and not constructive for anything.

So here's a question to propose. There are currently 5 swordsmen in Smash Bros. (Ike, Marth, Meta Knight, Link, and Toon Link). Assuming those 5 stay, what might this mean for incoming newcomers that will likely use swords? Those possibly being Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, etc... Does this hurt their chances?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

I'm really just kind of hoping we can all just stop the nonsense with the arguing. It's just annoying and not constructive for anything.

So here's a question to propose. There are currently 5 swordsmen in Smash Bros. (Ike, Marth, Meta Knight, Link, and Toon Link). Assuming those 5 stay, what might this mean for incoming newcomers that will likely use swords? Those possibly being Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, etc... Does this hurt their chances?

If ike stays, then it would hurt every other FE swordsmans chances. There is only so much one can do with a standard sword in a game like smash.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

not at all. swords are weapons that have many different shapes and can be used a multitude of ways. Shulk, isnt gonna fight like Link. Takamaru wont fight like Ike. the only characters out of the ones u listed that might be a problem is Chrom considering he has Marths sword. but from what i've seen of his in game footage thats not used in a similar way to Marth. swords are just a tool. the wielder decides how its used

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I wouldn't say that it hurts their chances, but it puts some pressure on the design team to make each of them unique. What style of sword fighting shall be adopted? Will the character use other skills such as magic?
As long as characters feel fun and unique then I feel like there's no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom