• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not very knowledgeable on the subject, but I'm sure there are no legal ties to this character once being purchased. Wouldn't it be sort of 2nd party-ish? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.
Considering they weren't in the Chronicle and have HAL as their publisher in the VC, seems unlikely Nintendo has stake in them, but I can't conclusively prove anything, so I'd just advise against his inclusion, even as the WTF character. Your roster though ofc.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to provide a somewhat controversial roster. But I will try to explain why I chose some characters.

Bowser Jr.: I don't think Sakurai will simply just throw away old Bowser's moveset, I believe he'll tweak it, give it to Bowser Jr. and give him new moves.
(so that the old moves are torn between Bowser and Bowser Jr.)

Dixie Kong: Tropical Freeze will most likely put her back on the map. And with no K.Rool in sight, I believe Dixie has a slightly clearer shot. (Not to mention she was supposed to be one of the rumored characters to be put in Brawl as well)

Mewtwo: Heavy hints of his return.

Pokemon Trainer: His Pokemon may change, but I think he's definitely coming back.

Ridley: (Though I´m sure a lot of you feel he needs no explanation). Compensation for the horrible treatment Metroid has received as a franchise.

Palutena: Seems to be the 2nd most important character in Kid Icarus. She even got her own OVAs from what I recall.

Dillon: Sakurai is inclined to add new Nintendo franchises, and Dillon seems like a very likely candidate, with a sequel coming out soon (or already out?)

Balloon Fighter: Not only has he gotten PLENTY of cameos, meaning he's important to Nintendo history, but he even got his own segment at Nintendo Land. Not Star Fox, not Fire Emblem.... Balloon Fight got it.

Takamaru: Again, too many cameos to ignore. Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and a whole segment of Nintendoland.

HAL Bailman: My next WTF/Retro combo. Hal Bailman hails from the game Air Fortress, one of (if not) the first games developed by HAL Laboratories. About this astronaut looking dude who rides a jet-bike in space. Then once he reaches a space station (called Air Fortress) he hops off his bike, and uses his Jetpack to move around. Also has a laser blaster in hand to move around. He must destroy a reactor and make it out alive.

Mii: It´s happening. It just is.

New franchises represented: 12.

Thoughts?
I am flattered you used my roster design, but I shouldn't because a lot of it is from others :awesome:

Balloon Fighter: He is not appearing in the game. Villager has confirmed that.

HAL Bailman: a WTF character still has to be within the boundaries of logic.

Zelda Series: If Toon Link is removed I imagine somebody will take his place. But, I still have faith he will be in it in some playable form.

Dixie Kong: Not appearing in Tropical Freeze doesn't really mean anything for King K. Rool. We can't knock out every character just because they aren't the latest game out today.

Dillon: assist trophy yeah, but definitely not a playable character.

Chrom: If Chrom replaces Ike it should only be to add a 3rd new FE rep.

Other than that good job. :dkmelee:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I couldn't cut anyone at this point, but if I had to cut anyone to make it 49 (Because of time contraints), it would be Snake and Professor Layton.

Prof. Layton is NOT going to be in SSB.

Wonderful 101 is a third party game that just came out. Sakurai wants third-party reps that are more legendary (Sonic, Metal Gear, Bomberman, Mega Man.)

AR MAN???? No offense, but that is just really, really, stupid. Like I said to another WTF characters still have to be in the boundaries of logic and sense. Also If you meant for him to be a character like R.O.B. or Mr. G & W we already have that: Wii Fit Trainer.

I already stated why Prince Sable won't appear in SSB, but it's also good to add that due to said limitations he won't waste a slot on Prince Sable.

Dixie Kong may be an unlockable character, but I think K. Rool will be in it.

You also have too many third party reps and Skyward Zelda. Why would we ever have Skyward Zelda? She doesn't have the Nayru, Din, and and whatshernames powers, she doesn't transform into Sheik, we already have Twilight Link, nobody really wants Skyward Zelda, and the reason we have Twilight characters is because they represent more than 1 Zelda.

No complaints about anything else because everybody else has the remaining characters.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Dixie Kong: Not appearing in Tropical Freeze doesn't really mean anything for King K. Rool. We can't knock out every character just because they aren't the latest game out today.

well tbf K Rool has been in only 5 games after Rare left as opposed to Dixies, now, 10 appearances. its always been debatable between the 2 but now it can be argued that Dixie is far more relevant to, not only the Donkey Kong universe, but to the Mario universe as well. i still want K Rool more but Dixie seems more likely right now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's not much point in "critiquing" BluePikmin's roster. He's not going to cut AR Man, he's not going to cut Wonder Red, he's not going to trim down 5 third-parties, and he's definitely not going to cut Sable, so it's basically just him posting his roster over and over and ignoring feedback.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
well tbf K Rool has been in only 5 games after Rare left as opposed to Dixies, now, 10 appearances. its always been debatable between the 2 but now it can be argued that Dixie is far more relevant to, not only the Donkey Kong universe, but to the Mario universe as well. i still want K Rool more but Dixie seems more likely right now.
Dixie doesn't have any moves besides her helicopter hair, she'd have to be a Diddy clone. And it really doesn't matter how many games King K. Rool was in. Sakurai is not going to make sure characters had at least a said number of games and make sure they are in the latest game out today to be in SSB. King K. Rool has NO reason not to be in it. He is a very popular villian in the series has appeared in several Wii games (Not that it matters) and is a requested character in almost every roster. I think you are only saying this and supporting Dixie because of Tropical Freeze. I really wish people would stop basing their choices on a character having an incredibly recent appearance. It's not like King K. Rool is dead. Do you seriously think King K. Rool isn't relevant or that people wouldn't recognize him?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I just realized that Sakurai shouldn't cut a Fire Emblem character, the backlash from Roy's removal was strong and I don't think he want to anger the same fans again. Why when cuts are talked about "Ike" comes in your mind ? let another series take the burden of losing a character, wouldn't you hate it that a character as unique as Ike be removed in favor of another character while the clones run wild in SSB. I won't forgive Sakurai for not including MewTwo, and I would hate him if he made Fire Emblem the scapegoat again, let Star Fox take the burden, let LoZ take the burden "I'm looking at you Toon Link", there's seriously no reason to keep Toon Link/Falco/Ganondorf/Wolf over Ike....

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I just realized that Sakurai shouldn't cut a Fire Emblem character, the backlash from Roy's removal was strong and I don't think he want to anger the same fans again. Why when cuts are talked about "Ike" comes in your mind ? let another series take the burden of losing a character, wouldn't you hate it that a character as unique as Ike be removed in favor of another character while the clones run wild in SSB. I won't forgive Sakurai for not including MewTwo, and I would hate him if he made Fire Emblem the scapegoat again, let Star Fox take the burden, let LoZ take the burden "I'm looking at you Toon Link", there's seriously no reason to keep Toon Link/Falco/Ganondorf/Wolf over Ike....
Let's say they keep Ike, and also add Chrom. Fire Emblem would have 3 blue haired swordsmen representing the franchise. It'll make it look homogeneous and not very interesting.

From my point of view, if they want to keep Ike, they should add a Fire Emblem character that represents another aspect of the game, maybe a mage or a user of another type of weapon. Maybe go crazy and mix it up by having Hector, Ike, and Lucina (alt:Marth). That way you represent old school FE with Hector, while including an axe wielder (New/ still blue haired though). Lucina could come in and get Marth's moveset while representing the new era of FE while still harkening back to its poster boy.

Just my 2 cents.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Dixie doesn't have any moves besides her helicopter hair, she'd have to be a Diddy clone. And it really doesn't matter how many games King K. Rool was in. Sakurai is not going to make sure characters had at least a said number of games and make sure they are in the latest game out today to be in SSB. King K. Rool has NO reason not to be in it. He is a very popular villian in the series has appeared in several Wii games (Not that it matters) and is a requested character in almost every roster. I think you are only saying this and supporting Dixie because of Tropical Freeze. I really wish people would stop basing their choices on a character having an incredibly recent appearance. It's not like King K. Rool is dead. Do you seriously think King K. Rool isn't relevant or that people wouldn't recognize him?
no one said its all about about how many games he's in. but he is less relevant now as opposed to Dixie who is actually in almost as many games as Diddy. he is a popular villain, but he's clearly not important enough to make any major appearances (at least that's how Nintendo appears to treat him). he appeared in 2 Wii games, Dixie was in those 2 as well. point is that every game he appeared in recently, she was also in and usually playable so it makes her just as relevant. she's even more relevant cause she appears more often. and semi clone at best. theres very little her and Diddy have in common outside of being little apes. he has a jetpack and the Peanut blaster, she doesnt. she uses her hair as a whip and to helicopter, Diddy doesnt have hair. Diddy uses his tail in a lot of moves within Brawl, Dixie doesnt have a tail. liberties will be taken with the character but just looking at their physical traits, they will share very few moves. like i said id rather have K Rool. but you'd be stupid to not see that Dixie is standing in a much better spot right now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I am flattered you used my roster design, but I shouldn't because a lot of it is from others :awesome:

Balloon Fighter: He is not appearing in the game. Villager has confirmed that.

HAL Bailman: a WTF character still has to be within the boundaries of logic.

Zelda Series: If Toon Link is removed I imagine somebody will take his place. But, I still have faith he will be in it in some playable form.

Dillon: assist trophy yeah, but definitely not a playable character.

Chrom: If Chrom replaces Ike it should only be to add a 3rd new FE rep.

Other than that good job. :dkmelee:

Thanks!
Sorry for using your template without permission. ñ_ñ

One thing I don't understand is why Hal Bailman is such a big deal for WTF. He was made by Hal Labs, when Satoru Iwata himself was the president, and then Sakurai took over when Iwata became the new Nintendo CEO. Both are pretty deeply involved with Smash Bros now, so I really think I'm missing one reason that makes him so unlikely even for WTF standards.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
BluePikmin, out of sheer curiosity, why do you have Wonder Red over other more likely 2nd party characters? Is it because Sakurai visited Platinum? Because you do know he visits or contacts all the developers (in Japan at least) that contribute towards the game, no matter the amount of content, right? As far as we know, Platinum isn't a special case.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ganondorf is the villain of Zelda, no way he's gonna get cut, just revamped.

BluePikmin, out of sheer curiosity, why do you have Wonder Red over other more likely 2nd party characters? Is it because Sakurai visited Platinum? Because you do know he visits or contacts all the developers (in Japan at least) that contribute towards the game, no matter the amount of content, right? As far as we know, Platinum isn't a special case.
The potential of the character's moveset. :bee:
I think he would be really fun to play as.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let's be realistic: between Ganondorf and Ike, the likeliest to be cut is Ike. Make no doubt about it.

And... why are we still talking about cuts?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Let's say they keep Ike, and also add Chrom. Fire Emblem would have 3 blue haired swordsmen representing the franchise. It'll make it look homogeneous and not very interesting.

From my point of view, if they want to keep Ike, they should add a Fire Emblem character that represents another aspect of the game, maybe a mage or a user of another type of weapon. Maybe go crazy and mix it up by having Hector, Ike, and Lucina (alt:Marth). That way you represent old school FE with Hector, while including an axe wielder (New/ still blue haired though). Lucina could come in and get Marth's moveset while representing the new era of FE while still harkening back to its poster boy.

Just my 2 cents.
It's not a Fire Emblem game, in fact 3 Blue haired swordsmen gives Fire Emblem a certain feature that make people identify it, so on the contrary Marth,Chrom and Ike can exist in the same game with enough differences, for example if they brought back Roy he would be an oddball between the 3 Swordsmen, while having Blue haired characters will make them homogenous...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's not a Fire Emblem game, in fact 3 Blue haired swordsmen gives Fire Emblem a certain feature that make people identify it, so on the contrary Marth,Chrom and Ike can exist in the same game with enough differences, for example if they brought back Roy he would be an oddball between the 3 Swordsmen, while having Blue haired characters will make them homogenous...
Why does color matter when including FE character?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The potential of the character's moveset. :bee:
I think he would be really fun to play as.
Potential =/= likelihood.

Isaac, Starfy, and Saki (all of whom also have potential for diversity) are all more likely, and that's just 2nd party characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why are we so worried about clones anyway when they usually are low priority and get added in the last minute just to buff the roster? At least... If Melee and Brawl's forbidden seven (except Mewtwo) is anything to go by which only Toon Link managed to survive.

You could argue that the likes of Lucas, Falco, Wolf, etc are clones but I think they have got enough differences that they can at least be considered semi-clones or Luigified clones, whatever floats your boat. But that's just my opinion really.

At least Brawl had less blatant clones than Melee had.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ganondorf remains a clone, if Sakurai wouldn't give a new moveset that reflects him better then good riddance.
I hope you're forgetting that Ganondorf is a far more iconic Nintendo character than Ike.

The purpose of this game is, first and foremost, to have Nintendo's All-Stars to duke it out. Ganondorf is much more of an All-Star than Ike, make not doubt of that.

Seeing as we had changes in some characters this time, such as Pit and Bowser, I believe Ganondorf will also have some new tricks to show off.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Charizard--Bowser
Falcon--Ganondorf
Squirtle--Mario's fludd
That isn't the same thing though. Squirtle isn't actually using F.L.U.D.D. The Villager literally uses the Balloon Fighter helmet and Balloons. He probably isn't going to happen.

Huge difference there.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I do think that Chrom will be added to the roster at some point. I'm not sure if he'll replace Ike. In fact, Chrom could be a completely unique character. What I don't know is what kind of attacks Chrom has up his sleeves, so I'll try to look up what he can do.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I'll throw in my roster. See what people make of it.Some of my picks leave room for change, but I think character count will be close to this.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I hope you're forgetting that Ganondorf is a far more iconic Nintendo character than Ike.

The purpose of this game is, first and foremost, to have Nintendo's All-Stars to duke it out. Ganondorf is much more of an All-Star than Ike, make not doubt of that.

Seeing as we had changes in some characters this time, such as Pit and Bowser, I believe Ganondorf will also have some new tricks to show off.
I really don't care about how Iconic he is, I really hate clones...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll throw in my roster. See what people make of it.Some of my picks leave room for change, but I think character count will be close to this.
Umm, bruh, the protagonist comes before the villian.

*cough*Vaati and Masked Man*cough*

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Thanks!
Sorry for using your template without permission. ñ_ñ

One thing I don't understand is why Hal Bailman is such a big deal for WTF. He was made by Hal Labs, when Satoru Iwata himself was the president, and then Sakurai took over when Iwata became the new Nintendo CEO. Both are pretty deeply involved with Smash Bros now, so I really think I'm missing one reason that makes him so unlikely even for WTF standards.
I don't mind at all. I'm glad people liked my design.:awesome:

Hal Bailman is way too obscure, and is not really recognized by anybody. He's not really a Nintendo All-Star and I didn't even know he existed until now. He is the kind of character who would be a sticker, not someone who wastes an entire slot for a playable character. Even Dillion isn't enough to be playable.

Platinum Games has already released a statement a while back that they are sick and tired of people asking for there characters in the game, specifically Bayonetta.

no one said its all about about how many games he's in. but he is less relevant now as opposed to Dixie who is actually in almost as many games as Diddy. he is a popular villain, but he's clearly not important enough to make any major appearances (at least that's how Nintendo appears to treat him). he appeared in 2 Wii games, Dixie was in those 2 as well. point is that every game he appeared in recently, she was also in and usually playable so it makes her just as relevant. she's even more relevant cause she appears more often. and semi clone at best. theres very little her and Diddy have in common outside of being little apes. he has a jetpack and the Peanut blaster, she doesnt. she uses her hair as a whip and to helicopter, Diddy doesnt have hair. Diddy uses his tail in a lot of moves within Brawl, Dixie doesnt have a tail. liberties will be taken with the character but just looking at their physical traits, they will share very few moves. like i said id rather have K Rool. but you'd be stupid to not see that Dixie is standing in a much better spot right now.
I disagree entirely. It's gonna be hard coming up for a move set with Dixie, and even if she is more relevant (which she is) that doesn't make her more likely than King K. Rool.

AR Man is definitely not a stupid idea.

Also I'd like to mention to everybody I am 100% up for Ike being replaced with Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom